Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost engagement ring - Salthill [Metal Detector Needed]

Options
  • 22-06-2010 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I lost my engagement ring in Salthill yesterday (Monday) evening. I've scoured the beach we were on and reported it to the guards. There's also an advertisement in the Galway Advertiser this week.
    If ye have any other ideas let me know. Or if ye hear anything it is a 14 carat gold solitaire ring.

Thanks, A.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

antonf wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I lost my engagement ring in Salthill yesterday (Monday) evening. I've scoured the beach we were on and reported it to the guards. There's also an advertisement in the Galway Advertiser this week.
    If ye have any other ideas let me know. Or if ye hear anything it is a 14 carat gold solitaire ring.

Thanks, A.

Same thing happened to my bro.. I suggest you source a metal detector. Something similar happened to my brothers fiancee and that's what they did and they found it after an hour or so

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭antonf

Do you think that would work after the tide has come and gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

if you have a good idea where you lost it i think the metal detector would be a good idea.

Does anyone know where I could get my hands on a metal detector in Galway?

Hi,
    Would anyone have or know of anyone who has a metal detector in Galway city. I lost an engagement ring on the beach at Salthill and am desparate to find it.
    It may be a long shot but it seems to be the only one I have left.
    A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

I've always wanted to get one, something I would love to do. However, they are illegal in Ireland and you can get into big trouble if found using one.

vulcan57 wrote: »
    I've always wanted to get one, something I would love to do. However, they are illegal in Ireland and you can get into big trouble if found using one.

Why?

Curious, as I have had one for years... (I'm in Dublin though, so not much help to the OP)

Does anyone know where I could get my hands on a metal detector in Galway?

They are illegal in Ireland unfortunately, thats why you don't see people out using them.

Why?

Curious, as I have had one for years... (I'm in Dublin though, so not much help to the OP)

Not sure of the full reason, but its something to do with national treasures and archaeological laws. Go to England and you'll find them everywhere, but alas, here there is a hefty fine or even imprisonment if you are caught using one even on private land. I tried to find some loop hole to where I might use one a couple of years ago but to no avail. I asked the same quest on the Archaeology forum here but can't find it off hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

The Law states that if you use a metal detector in search of archeology items and objects. if you have a clear reason to use one in a refined area you should be ok.

Also i saw most of the guards wouldn't even know about that law.

• Advertisement

Columc wrote: »

Maybe, but I'd definitely find one that did if I was to do it !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭leex

Try the equipment hire companies - see this example from Dublin:
    http://www.azhire.ie/equipment.hire.products.dublin.ireland.php?sectionnumber=114&number=376

Note on their page it says it is illegal for use near national monuments.

EDIT:

Try HSS Hire on the Tuam Rd. Tel: 091-773062 who have a Metal Detector on Page 98 of their brochure. Cost for 24 hours is 28.75euro ex vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

vulcan57 wrote: »
    They are illegal in Ireland unfortunately, thats why you don't see people out using them.

???

I'm pretty sure that Maplin sell them.

Have you a photo of the ring (possibly on your insurance valuation)? If you do, drop a copy into the Garda stations and check with the various jewellers.

I wonder if these hire companies would you it writing that you can use them? At least then you'd have something to show the judge if caught. It's like maplin and other shops that sell them, the thing is that it is not illegal to sell them just to use them. One other thing, it is illegal in the uk to use them near national monuments, maybe thats where that hire company got their info from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Just sent you PM.

They'ld probably offer to help you cross road and ask if you've considered getting a guide dog.

I was using my phone to post the previous post and so it was taking too long to go to the link. Now I have looked at that it still makes it very difficult to prove your innocence. If you are caught using one, without a licence, it will be presumed that you are using it for locating archaeological artifacts, and it will be up to you to prove otherwise, no matter where you are and that would be very difficult. These hire firms maybe there to hire them out to licenced operators. Using them on Salthill beach to find a ring or other lost items may run you into other problems if caught because items like that are still someones property even if they are lost which means you would be obliged to hand them in. Stll seems to be very vague in law though, I would still love to get one. In the UK, I believe you have salvage rights as long you are below the high water mark.

Think I will go to HSS tomorrow. They have a disclaimer saying you can't use it on private land without a licence but Salthill beach is public. Also I have reported my ring lost to the guards so if I find it I can just bring it over and report it found (that's what I'm hoping anyway).

I can't just give up until I've explored every option. Just found out that it wasn't insured either. My husband renewed our policy two years ago and never mentioned it so it's not covered.

Fingers crossed and positive thoughts all.

Thanks for all your comments - greatly appreciated. Will let you know how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Time to throw the kids in jail so....

A04316_M.jpg
    Catalogue Number: A04316

€12.99

Investigate the ground around you for lost metal objects, loose change or even hidden treasure! Adjustable height from 60cm to 90cm. Batteries required.

http://www.toys.ie/Metal-Detector--!A04316-prod.aspx?qwSessionID=a557d51f-f016-4336-b768-30eefdead1b9

antonf, get your hands on a hire detector.
    If anybody questions you then flip them the ring finger for a quick look at your tan line.
    Jesus Christ, if we followed every dumb-ass law laid down in this country then we'd never leave the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭trish23

Best of luck with this. In all fairness, I think the guards would be more likely to give you a hand once they knew what you were doing. Don't think you'll find too many national treasures on Salthill beach!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

Using a metal detector to search for a modern engagement ring on Salthill beach is not illegal. The relevant portions of the National Monuments Ammendment Act prohibit the use of metal detectors (i) to search for archaeological objects and/or (ii) in the vicinity of recorded archaeological monuments. I've checked the records for Salthill Beach and you're in the clear, so good luck in you search!

For those who are perplexed by this legislation, it is there to protect our archaeological heritage from the damage caused by inappropriate excavation on archaeological sites - the main point is that when a detectorist digs up an artefact, the context of that find is lost and so much of the inherent value it holds as a 'heritage item' is gone. They are left with the artefact, but we have lost the vital information which is part of the real value of the thing. Too many archaeological sites in Ireland have been damaged due to illegal excavations which cut right through the stratigraphy in order to get to 'the find'. Too many Irish archaeological artefacts (which by law are the property of the State - i.e. all of us) have disappeared into private hands (sometimes overseas) and are no longer part of our shared cultural heritage. So - that's why metal detecting requires a licence from the State when archaeological sites/artefacts are involved - because too much material was being ripped out of the ground in the 1980s and the State had to step in to protect it. Not everybody likes it, but our heritage protection laws are the envy of many professionals in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Maplins in Wellpark do Metal Detectors.
    I have one but have lent it to someone - I'll see if I can get it back tomorrow, and you are welcome to borrow it.
    If you haven't found another one by tomorrow afternoon, pm me and I'll see if I can get it back.
    John

No photo and my husband never mentioned it when he took out new insurance policy so not covered.

Have given a description to the guards and will hire a metal detector tomorrow and see if that yields anything.

A.

Thanks for the offer - will let you know later depending on how things go at HSS. Wondering how sensitive theirs is as it says it's for locating pipes so don't know if it's suitable for locating a ring.

I'm living in the Rahoon area and will pm you later and let you know.

Thanks again. A.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Your threads merged OP, same issue.
    Good luck with finding the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

A pipe detector is a very crude metal detector that excavator drivers use, you need a metal detector like that young lad above is demonstrating.

Don't mind all the idiots above, there is no need to have a story prepared for "the judge". Quick, somebody find out where that child lives so we can lock him up for using that metal detector to find his pog slammer in the grass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

No photo and my husband never mentioned it when he took out new insurance policy so not covered.

Have given a description to the guards and will hire a metal detector tomorrow and see if that yields anything.

A.

Engagement ring? Does your husband know you're engaged to someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Mr.Mister wrote: »
    Engagement ring? Does your husband know you're engaged to someone?

:rolleyes:

most people who have an engagement ring continue to wear it after they get married.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Thanks for the offer - will let you know later depending on how things go at HSS. Wondering how sensitive theirs is as it says it's for locating pipes so don't know if it's suitable for locating a ring.

I'm living in the Rahoon area and will pm you later and let you know.

Thanks again. A.

Also remember that high tide today is at 3:52 pm, so possibly not the best time to search.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭thedesigntribe

You'll find the tides for the next couple of days here:

http://www.sailing.ie/dynamic/pdf/Galway%20June%202010.pdf

Best of luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement