Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost engagement ring - Salthill [Metal Detector Needed]

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That article makes it sound like the metal detector failed and it was the guy from Cork who found it, was that what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I'd say it was Antoinette's perserverance which paid off. That metal detector gives a lot of false readings with the silica in the sand.

They spent an hour and a half searching where it had gone missing, but moved the search after the Cork Samaritan lent a hand, and found it shortly after.

I had lost the instructions for the metal-detector, hadn't used it in a couple of years, and couldn't explain how to operate it, but Antoinette's husband was able to download & print them from the internet, so it was a brilliant result all round.

Fair play to them - it's always great when a never-say-die attitude is rewarded like that. It certainly made my month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

vulcan57 wrote: »
    I've always wanted to get one, something I would love to do. However, they are illegal in Ireland and you can get into big trouble if found using one.

Does this mean Antoinette or her designated person is in trouble for brazenly admitting to violating the law of the state?

what a fantastic story.

I've been a member of Boards for a while now and I keep seeing things like this, both big & small.

Community spirit is alive & well on Boards, Horray!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

snubbleste wrote: »
    Does this mean Antoinette or her designated person is in trouble for brazenly admitting to violating the law of the state?

Nope.
    No laws were violated.
    Salthill Beach is NOT a designated archaeological site, and the law only applies to such areas. In addition, the Gardai were also notified here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Well done to all involved, especially dilallio for stepping up with the help. Another boards success story!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭antonf

snubbleste wrote: »
    No there is no law preventing you from using it in a public area. You are prohibited from using it near known archeological or historical sites. I don't think there will be any historic artefacts lying around on Salthill beach.

Well it was a great coup for boards.ie. Again many thanks to all you nice people out there who left advice, comments and good luck wishes.

And a huge, huge thank you to John who lent the vital metal detector - it's a kindness I'll never, ever forget.

I wasn't expecting it to get front page but I guess with the government on holidays, there mustn't be too much bad news. Hopefully it brought a smile to people's faces and showed that with the help of the internet and the right group of people some problems can be solved.

Many thanks again,
    Antoinette.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

antonf wrote: »
    Well it was a great coup for boards.ie. Again many thanks to all you nice people out there who left advice, comments and good luck wishes.

And a huge, huge thank you to John who lent the vital metal detector - it's a kindness I'll never, ever forget.

I wasn't expecting it to get front page but I guess with the government on holidays, there mustn't be too much bad news. Hopefully it brought a smile to people's faces and showed that with the help of the internet and the right group of people some problems can be solved.

Many thanks again,
    Antoinette.

The heading in the newspaper said that there was a happy ending?

Was there? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Just read the Mirror today and seen the article!

Actually in the Independent, Times, Mirror, Mail, Examiner and The Star today. All down to Paul O'Brien from O'Brien's newsagents.

Well done all and please try to pay it forward everyone - you never know who you can help by a simple word or act. It made a difference to me each time someone bothered to even post a comment. A.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Fair play to ye, mad seeing it in all the papers..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Ha Ha we're all apart of some soft news. And my mother said I'd only get in the paper for commiting crimes. In your face Ma!

This thing has gone mad! Was on the Colm and Lucy Show with the story today. Can't believe this has generated so much publicity.
    And the nice people at 2FM have given me and the hubby a weekend away in Cork. Absolutely amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 eamonnf

My uncle in America rang me last night - he had read about in New York!!

eamonnf wrote: »
    My uncle in America rang me last night - he had read about in New York!!

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYY, are you her hubby?

Well done dude.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement