Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which is the best University in Ireland?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Well it's pretty obvious that the best four are NUIG, UCC, UCD and Trinity.

What are you basing that on?
    It's also a hub for research and it got a research contract over MIT. Nuff said.

All unis are hubs for research. And NUIM also brag about winning a research contract over MIT - that doesn't prove anything, other than that those awarding such contracts don't necessarily always give them to the biggest name institution to throw its hat in the ring.
    UCD would be well known for Economics and Law.

Trinity for Economics and Law too but also Classical Studies etc.

Do you know who has the best economics dept in the country? Or the best classics dept? Or if there even is one which could be described as the 'best'?

LutherBlissett's post has it spot on. Irish colleges are much of a muchness - some may be better than others in certain respects or in particular disciplines, but there is no 'best' one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Kinski wrote: »
    What are you basing that on?

World rankings and the following quote.
    US MULTINATIONAL companies are reluctant to recruit graduates from many Irish third-level colleges because of concern about declining standards, Minister for Education Batt O’Keeffe was told at a recent meeting with representatives of Google, Intel and other major companies.

The meeting was told that while some companies were delighted with the calibre of graduates from UCD, TCD and UCC, they had concerns about other colleges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Each university has their strong points and weak points so overall they're pretty much the same as each other.

the gap is between IT's and university is probably down to the caliber of lecturers at them as Universities can pay more and as the previous two posters said have research contracts with other top universities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

World rankings and the following quote.

The arguments over the various world rankings are so well-rehearsed at this stage it hardly seems worth going through them again - suffice to say that I don't think any LC candidates filling out their CAO applications need worry too much about them. And just because the university a person attends is highly-rated it doesn't mean they will be - a first from UCC is most definitely better than a third from Oxbridge.

The reports around the concerns of multinationals raise a couple of questions for me. What fields are these graduates drawn from? In what respects are they not up to scratch?

Actually, the research contract I referred to in my previous post also provides a relevant example here, since it is Intel who are the research partner. So Intel may have been one of the companies who were 'concerned' about the quality of graduates, other than those from UCD, Trinity and UCC, but were still content to form such partnerships with other institutions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

The arguments over the various world rankings are so well-rehearsed at this stage it hardly seems worth going through them again - suffice to say that I don't think any LC candidates filling out their CAO applications need worry too much about them. And just because the university a person attends is highly-rated it doesn't mean they will be - a first from UCC is most definitely better than a third from Oxbridge.

The reports around the concerns of multinationals raise a couple of questions for me. What fields are these graduates drawn from? In what respects are they not up to scratch?

Actually, the research contract I referred to in my previous post also provides a relevant example here, since it is Intel who are the research partner. So Intel may have been one of the companies who were 'concerned' about the quality of graduates, other than those from UCD, Trinity and UCC, but were still content to form such partnerships with other institutions?

Just to add, don't get me wrong. I've argued in other threads about grade inflation and the state of Irish Universities that a degree is meaningless if the person who has it is a moron. A degree is only as good as the person that earned it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

So Intel may have been one of the companies who were 'concerned' about the quality of graduates, other than those from UCD, Trinity and UCC, but were still content to form such partnerships with other institutions?

yep intel were one of them
    heres the link to the story
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0303/1224265501148.html

Intresting to seen on this that trinity has the lowest Employment rate of all Universities

Advertisement