Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is the best University in Ireland?

Options
  • 04-04-2010 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I know its a Pretty subjective question depending on which course you do and individuals experience of the Social life. But for those of us trying to pick a university its an important question. I want to do History and English so I guess its Trinity, UCD or NUIG. What do ye think about yer colleges?

Which one? 157 votes

UL
    0% 0 votes
    UCD
    9% 15 votes
    Trinity
    12% 20 votes
    NUIG
    32% 51 votes
    UCC
    10% 17 votes
    Maynooth
    14% 23 votes
    LIT
    10% 16 votes
    DIT
    1% 2 votes
    GMIT
    5% 8 votes
    WIT
    3% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

I know its a Pretty subjective question depending on which course you do and individuals experience of the Social life. But for those of us trying to pick a university its an important question. I want to do History and English so I guess its Trinity, UCD or NUIG. What do ye think about yer colleges?

DCU rocks - great lecturers, amenities, social life. They don't do general arts though. I can't speak for the others personally, but a few friends were in TCD and loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 respectyourbus

Damn, I forgot DCU in the poll, Sorry. Yeah its more of a business orientated college I gather. I went to the Trinity open day this year, along with the rest of the country, its a really impressive college but the points are high and I hear its not all its cracked up to be, that UCD's degrees are just as good. Stayed in Trinity Hall though and it was great craic! Thanks for the post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 alexthomas163

NO NO NO....Its not subjective! TRINITY College is the best in Ireland FACT!

Well every college has its particular good and bad points, and thats what I hoped to hear rather then a load of sweeping statements about this or that college being the best. Trinity is possibly the best college as far as grades go, but in the ranking UCD is barely behind Trinity, theres practically no difference. Trinity is also awash with the infamous Trinerz. I know theyre a sterotype and a minority in TCD, but they do exist, ive met some of them and theyre awful. So arrogant, I dont know how id handle a year in accomdation with 5 or 6 of them. In that regards, other college's students are probably more friendly, I dunno though, I really want to hear from ye who are actually at these colleges.

Also, Ive realised ive left out a lot of colleges in the poll, if you want to vote for one that isnt there please leave the name in a comment, and hopefully state some sort of case for the college.

• Advertisement

Firstly.

In terms of international rankings Trinity is in the top 30 universities on the planet. UCD DCU, NUIM etc etc. Dont even make it into the top 100, let alone the top 30.

In terms of English and History. There is no better university to study in than TCD. they have one of the best English and history depts in the country.
    I know you may find that hard to believe but that is a fact.

Finally; I would like the address this "Trinners" type of student.
    I have attended TCD for 4 years... and have never ever encountered such a student. I study science so prehaps our coarse does not attract them.

But if your going to choose a college because u think the people will be too snobby, then I have to admit that would be a mistake, not just for your education but also for your future career.

The level of education at TCD is much higher than any other college in ireland, Many ppl find it tough.. however when it comes to employment TCD students are seen as a higher standard than any other college in Ireland!

Most ppl can only dream of going to TCD. So if you get a chance, take it! You will not regret it!

Yeah, im not attacking TCD, Im in love with the campus and I think its going down as first choice on my CAO. I just dont know much about the colleges and want to get some perspective. Im torn between the probably sensible option that is TCD or UCD, and the amazing social life that I hear about Galway.

Also alexthomas163, whats it like living in Dublin, Im a bit wary of the living cost, especially accomodation. I'm from Limerick and its not exactly cheap but I hear going to college in Dublin adds a lot the expense. Any opinioln on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Firstly.

In terms of international rankings Trinity is in the top 30 universities on the planet. UCD DCU, NUIM etc etc. Dont even make it into the top 100, let alone the top 30.

In terms of English and History. There is no better university to study in than TCD. they have one of the best English and history depts in the country.
    I know you may find that hard to believe but that is a fact.

Finally; I would like the address this "Trinners" type of student.
    I have attended TCD for 4 years... and have never ever encountered such a student. I study science so prehaps our coarse does not attract them.

But if your going to choose a college because u think the people will be too snobby, then I have to admit that would be a mistake, not just for your education but also for your future career.

The level of education at TCD is much higher than any other college in ireland, Many ppl find it tough.. however when it comes to employment TCD students are seen as a higher standard than any other college in Ireland!

Most ppl can only dream of going to TCD. So if you get a chance, take it! You will not regret it!

I'm intrigued to know by what means you came to these conclusions. First of all, regarding the college ranks, your figures are way off. Such metrics have very little meaning without context anyway.

I'm not sure what you mea about most people only being able to "dream of going to TCD". It's not like the points to get into trinity are massively higher then the points to get into say UCD. (I just checked the points for my own course, computer science to compare between UCD and trinity. UCD is 20 points more.

Regarding you point about the level of education in TCD being much higher then other colleges in Ireland, I think you'll find that the quality of teaching you get within any university varies from course to course, and even from subject to subject.

I'm intrigued to know by what means you came to these conclusions. First of all, regarding the college ranks, your figures areway off. Such metrics have very little meaning without context.

I'm not sure what you mea about most people only being able to "dream of going to TCD". It's not like the points to get into trinity are massively higher then the points to get into say UCD. (I just checked the points for my own course, computer science to compare between UCD and trinity. UCD is 20 points more.

Regarding you point about the level of education in TCD being much higher then other colleges in Ireland, I think you'll find that the quality of teaching you get within any university varies from course to course, and even from subject to subject.

Sure. I agree 100%.... the type of education one gets can differ from dept to dept. However, I am basing all this on the internationally recognised "Times University rankings". If you want to see the exact information please see this link http://www.tcd.ie/Communications/news/pressreleases/pressRelease.php?headerID=1295&pressReleaseArchive=2010

I have 2 degrees..... one from UCD and one from Trinity. In some what similar fields and I can assure you TCD has a higher standard for making etc. Its a lot more difficult to get a 1:1 in TCD than UCD. Ive been to both institutions and trust me its true! When i worked in the USA... Everyone i talked too knew of TCD & no one had heard of UCD. TCD is internationally recognised and respected.

Plus its a lot more difficult to get into TCD than UCD. True computer science is less than UCD but not much else. All the arts subjects have the highest entry points in the country and so do their science coarse. All in all... they dont make it easy to get in.

!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Firstly.

Wrong.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/Rankings2009-Top200.html

Trinity at 43
    UCD at 89

• Advertisement

Yeah, im not attacking TCD, Im in love with the campus and I think its going down as first choice on my CAO. I just dont know much about the colleges and want to get some perspective. Im torn between the probably sensible option that is TCD or UCD, and the amazing social life that I hear about Galway.

Also alexthomas163, whats it like living in Dublin, Im a bit wary of the living cost, especially accomodation. I'm from Limerick and its not exactly cheap but I hear going to college in Dublin adds a lot the expense. Any opinioln on this?

Yeah Sure. I have heard the social life is good in galway. But your in dublin city centre..... you cannot get much better than that! I hear NUIM has a good social life too but that would not sway my decision about my future college.

Dublin is pretty expensive.. but if your looking to live on campus it will cost around 5,000 a year... for a single room. Which is pretty good i think. I should point out that accom for 1st and 2nd years is out side the campus and you need to get the LUAS to and from each day... or you could cycle. Its really nice though.

For history I really think TCD is the best option,I know a girl doing history and she loves it. Plus my best friend does english and she really likes it too. However i think u might get a few "Trinnerz" ppl as you call them in english. The english degree seems to attract them. haha

Good luck with your CAO.

And to be honest, It really does not matter where you choose, as long as you do well in your college exams you will do fantastically. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Subjectivity? There is no absolute "best" college.

RichTea wrote: »

Ok... My bad.

Originally Posted by RichTea
    Wrong.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...09-Top200.html

Trinity at 43
    UCD at 89

My Bad!!

Thanks for the comments by the way, Yeah I imagine 5000 is reasonalble for college, but I take it that is just for 1st and maybe 2nd year, and then you would need to get accomadation in the city or commute, I suppose I wouldnt be opposed to commuting.

About your last point of the college being irrelevant as long as you do the work wherever you are. I'm wondering if a BA is that impotant in itself, particularily for something like an Arts degree.

A case in point, my sister is finishing a BA in English and new media in UL. She hated the college and found that it pretty well ignores Arts students in favour of business and Engineering students. She loved the subject though, shes getting a 1st class degree and is going to do an MA in Trinity. So, im wondering if any future employer will care where I did my BA if I have a good MA, so maybe I should base my college choice on where I think ill have the most enjoyable lifestyle.

Naikon wrote: »
    Subjectivity? There is no absolute "best" college.

I agree that nobody can say any college is the best for everyone, but I think there is a best college for every individual, weather you are concerned with sport, cost, social life, academics or whatever else you care to mention there is one college that will suit you best.

This is why Id Love feedback on each college's specific strengths and weakness'. I also think a lot of peolpe come onto this forum looking for a folder of college reviews and feedback on these reviews, which doesnt exist as far as I know.

Thanks to all who have contributed so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Originally Posted by RichTea
    Wrong.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...09-Top200.html

Trinity at 43
    UCD at 89

My Bad!!

Just getting the facts straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Um...there are only 7 universities in Ireland:

DCU
    UCD
    UCC
    UL
    NUI Galway
    Trinity (University of Dublin)
    Maynooth

I have no idea why you've incuded 4 random colleges as well as excluding DCU as a university. Either put in all 7 as the poll or put in every college. (You've left out a load if that's what you intended)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

NUIM has got a good reputation for History itself. I know of people who have done various masters and doctorates in NUIM and others and have said NUIM has one of the best History depts.

Arts in NUIM in general is a good degree with a really good choice of subjects including Law and Business which no other University offers. And Arts students aren't as ignored as they can be in other unis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Sure. I agree 100%.... the type of education one gets can differ from dept to dept. However, I am basing all this on the internationally recognised "Times University rankings". If you want to see the exact information please see this link http://www.tcd.ie/Communications/news/pressreleases/pressRelease.php?headerID=1295&pressReleaseArchive=2010

!

I'll note you didnt bother to follow my link, which quotes exactly the same source :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭red herring

UCD arts is around 375 points. Most TSM courses in Trinity, and most courses in general, are well above 375 points.
    Of course it is down to the opinion of the individual concerned, but it is a fact that
    a) TCD on average has higher points for its courses.
    b) TCD is the highest ranked university in Ireland.

Facts, totally objective.

8-10 wrote: »
    Um...there are only 7 universities in Ireland:

DCU
    UCD
    UCC
    UL
    NUI Galway
    Trinity (University of Dublin)
    Maynooth

I have no idea why you've incuded 4 random colleges as well as excluding DCU as a university. Either put in all 7 as the poll or put in every college. (You've left out a load if that's what you intended)

Yeah I realise that now, I added a couple of Colleges that came to mind as I thought people would want them included. I figured people could State any excluded Colleges in a comment. The poll is just an interesting show of statistics, im more concerned with getting peoples opinions about the places they've been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

These things are retarded. Firstly, because the original poster obviously doesn't not know what a university is and isn't. Secondly, there aren't a whole lot of people that have personal experience of multiple colleges. Someone that does a 4 year undergraduate degree in UCD and a 4 year PHD in TCD could have a totally different experience to someone that does it vice-versa. That's not even allowing for the fact individuals have totally different experiences of the same events.

I think there are particular colleges that suit individuals better than others. I think if it wasn't for the location, I would have preferred doing my undergrad in UCD rather than TCD.

Generally speaking, TCD has a 'biggest'/'best' reputation abroad (UK, America really) for undergraduate and research. QUB can be argued to be better in this regard in certain ways.

I don't think employers have a preference for any particular university but do have preferences for particular courses. I would argue that the Computer Systems course in UL is 'better' than then the Computer Science course in UCD from a lot of prospective employers perspectives.

Generally speaking, the kids with the best points have TCD as their first preference but obviously a lot of people who get 550+ have other unis as their preference (usually for location reasons I'd suspect or particular courses e.g vet).

NUIM has got a good reputation for History itself. I know of people who have done various masters and doctorates in NUIM and others and have said NUIM has one of the best History depts.

Arts in NUIM in general is a good degree with a really good choice of subjects including Law and Business which no other University offers. And Arts students aren't as ignored as they can be in other unis

Tried to have a look at the NUIM website, having trouble getting onto it. Cant say Ive ever heard of it as having a strong History, but I guess im pretty ignorant about NUIM. Worth looking into though.

Im havent really considered Maynooth before, Id be a bit wary about the fact that its a relativly unknown University, I dont think it would have the reputation of the bigger universities, particularily overseas.

Tried to have a look at the NUIM website, having trouble getting onto it. Cant say Ive ever heard of it as having a strong History, but I guess im pretty ignorant about NUIM. Worth looking into though.

Im havent really considered Maynooth before, Id be a bit wary about the fact that its a relativly unknown University, I dont think it would have the reputation of the bigger universities, particularily overseas.

It's not as unknown as you think! It's a good university with a good reputation! I've never come accross anyone having an issue with me or anyone I know being an NUIM student other than the fact that the law degree I'm doing is only 2 years old.

I'm doing History myself and loving it. The study options are wide and interesting and the staff are always available to help students.

Website is just nuim.ie It should work!

There's too much elitism amongst the Universities which gives people the impression that one is better than the other which is ridiculous. If a TCD student with an average of a 2:2 and a NUIM student with an average of a 1:1 were up against each other a prospective employer would hardly pick the TCD student just because his university is more 'well-known.'

As one poster said, different people suit different places. I have friends in UCD who absolutely hate it yet other friends in DIT doing the same course and loving it. Personbally i don't think I would've likes UCD which was my first choice. it's too big and you can be far to anonymous whereas in Maynooth this just isn't possible. NUIM is like a small village in itself, you know everyone and eveyone is so friendly and nice. There's no cliquing like that seen in most of the Dublin colleges and Universities

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

NUIM's history department is very well regarded. I don't mean this as a slight but I would wonder how much research you have done if you were not aware of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Yeah I realise that now, I added a couple of Colleges that came to mind as I thought people would want them included. I figured people could State any excluded Colleges in a comment. The poll is just an interesting show of statistics, im more concerned with getting peoples opinions about the places they've been.

I guess when I've only been to DCU I gotta bring it up.... ;)

These things are retarded. Firstly, because the original poster obviously doesn't not know what a university is and isn't. Secondly, there aren't a whole lot of people that have personal experience of multiple colleges. Someone that does a 4 year undergraduate degree in UCD and a 4 year PHD in TCD could have a totally different experience to someone that does it vice-versa. That's not even allowing for the fact individuals have totally different experiences of the same events.

I think there are particular colleges that suit individuals better than others. I think if it wasn't for the location, I would have preferred doing my undergrad in UCD rather than TCD.

Generally speaking, TCD has a 'biggest'/'best' reputation abroad (UK, America really) for undergraduate and research. QUB can be argued to be better in this regard in certain ways.

I don't think employers have a preference for any particular university but do have preferences for particular courses. I would argue that the Computer Systems course in UL is 'better' than then the Computer Science course in UCD from a lot of prospective employers perspectives.

Generally speaking, the kids with the best points have TCD as their first preference but obviously a lot of people who get 550+ have other unis as their preference (usually for location reasons I'd suspect or particular courses e.g vet).

I know what University is, I added the colleges as thought people would want them recognised as alternatives to the Universities. Ive explained above that I chose some off the top of my head, I hereby apologise for the mistake in catagorisation.

I dont expect to hear solely from people who have experience of different universities/colleges. I want to hear what each place is like to attend, I dont believe people need to experience several Universities/colleges to realise where theirs falls below acceptable standards, and where it excels.

I agree nobody can tell anyone how a particular university/college will be for them, but those of us who have to decide on a place to go need some criteria to judge by. Some details can be drawn from people who attend the Universities/colleges such as what its facilities are like, what the lecturers are like and what the institution's commitment to particular subjects are.

As far as the Trinity v.Queens reputation goes, I havent heard much about Queens as being a great University, I did however meet an American student in TCD who turned down a place at Harvard to go There. He wanted to go to Europe, Ireland particularily, and was under the impression that TCD was up there with Harvard, Oxford and Cambridge. So certainly in some instanses, Trinity has a 1st class reputation. There I think, it wins itself a point.

Yeah, sorry 8-10, thats was an particularily big oversight. :o

No problem with DCU, know absolutly nothing of it though. Perhaps you could enlighten me?

• Advertisement

I'm really starting to feel like this is just turning into a pro-TCD debate which the poster is encouraging.....

Advertisement