Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it a kick in the face for irish people to take Ivor Callely's excuse

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Unless Ivor Callely can prove that he was actually living in West Cork each time he claimed expenses from there, he should resign.

If he doesn't resign, Taoiseach should revoke his nomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Its a disgrace really that these guys get away with this type of behaviour.
    1. This isnt IC's first "disgression". He was "found out" a few years ago. What punishment did he get? Feck all as far as I can see and then a few years later a nice handy call up to the Senate (as far as I know this was a position he was put into by his FF colleagues). What kind of example is that to set to the other citizens of this country?

2. The language he used to "defend" himself is a joke. Anyone out there thinking of committing a crime of ANY description could just look to IC and say to themselves he got away with that, I can do worse and use the same excuses. Its really not a good example to be setting.

3. JoD - this guy takes the biscuit. He gets takes COMPLETE advantage of the job he found himself in and what happens? He loses his "job" - for which I believe he got a "severence" package and STILL keeps his job as a TD and no doubt head of a few committees etc for which he still gets paid and can claim expenses. I never heard whether he paid back what he claimed UNLAWFULLY in expenses.

4. They say there is no "law" to cover these guys and others who have epitomised the Celtic Tiger era but there are many, including this one: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/act/pub/0050/sec0006.html#partii-sec6
    Why hasn the DPP looked into these cases?

5. While many argue that the people who voted these people in (In JoDs case anyway) still need their representation in the Dail, that SHOULD NOT stop these guys from being "Fired" without ANY level of renumeration for gross misconduct. Even if the people "fire" them at the next election, they still get a handsome payoff. A by election could ensure the people are still represented.

6. The recent interviews of J. McDaid from Donegal on his pensions also taught us a thing or two about how these guys things.
    He made the point that politicians HAVE to have parachute payments if they lose their seat as they may have no other career to go into if they do lose it. How does he think the rest of us manage when we lose our job? He also made the point that politicians dont have any skills that transfer into the real world. (He is a doctor) Most are ex teachers with their place being held open for them, Solicitors, Publicans and have multiple business interests. These guys know how to cream it and ALL parties exist in this cost cartel at the top. They dont want to see the representation numbers changed, the shrinking of any of the houses or the ACTUAL implementation of FULLY vouched expenses.

7. Bertie Ahern - how often has this guy been in the Dail since he was "demoted" - Fcuk all. What has he been doing on OUR time and with OUR state car an security? Swanning around at his book signing and doing speeches for money at various engagements. I wonder did he manage to set up a bank account for the income that will come as a result of these events?

Sorry, this turned into a general rant but you get the picture. The political culture in this country is out of control, the core of our Public services are just as bad and not a single thing getting done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Fair play to the citizen http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0603/callelyi.html

Least someone has a spine
    He should have been expelled from the party after the free paint affair. This isn't FF trying to enforce proper standards, it's just that Ivor has become a liability, especially as his buddy Ahern is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

goose2005 wrote: »
    This isn't FF trying to enforce proper standards, it's just that Ivor has become a liability, especially as his buddy Ahern is gone.

FF don't do proper standards......

And unfortunately his buddy Ahern is far from gone, and is still swanning around at our expense.

Anyone who can afford a holiday home doesn't need expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

When we want defamatory material, and trash-talking posts where every second word gets starred out by the obscenity filter, we'll be sure to rename the forum.

In the meantime, if I see that kind of rubbish again, people will lose their posting privileges. For the sake of clarity, that's Carlos_Ray, RATM, and Nijmegen I'm talking about.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

from reading the RTE article......surprised no-one mentioned this:
    Mr Callely's expense claims will be the subject of an investigation by the Select Committee on Members' Interests.

so he's gonna be investigated by his colleagues and co-workers.... that makes me feel very confident that something will be done :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

My apologies Scofflaw.

To explain my post in different language, every penny that these guys draw down for themselves - in wonderful salary packets and expenses - that they in fact set for themselves, they are taking money directly from you and from me.

We work hard, show up to work every day and work long hours. We trudge from work to home. At the end of the month, we get a pay packet with tax taken out. Consider that figure. Now consider that every muffen and every cup of coffee these guys claim on their expenses is money that they are taking directly from you. To put it simply, if you're on a tight budget you might consider a coffee and a muffen some morning around 11am, but decide against.

Well, down the road there's a TD or a senator who is spending that money. Your money.

I'm sorry for becoming emotional. But I feel the pain in my pocket every month, acutely. And the way I see it, every penny these guys mispend is stolen money. It's white collar crime. Only they set the rules that says its not.

It's my money. I earned it. I give it to them on the promise that they'll give it back in good services. Instead, they steal it and they waste it and often they deliver half arsed services instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Fuhrer wrote: »
    No it ****ing isnt.

Please everyone stop with this utter bull****

"Irish Begrudgers" "Irish Cute Hoor"

This same thing happens everywhere there is a politician with access to an expense account

hey dont get in the way of the generalising of the irish, so long as you dont generalise about others!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Which is why I'm asking:

"Apart from organising marches on the streets what other options do we have as a public to ensure that this behaviour is dealt with so forcefully that it will put the fear of God in anyone considering pulling cash out of our coffers/pockets in the future?"

I've considered contacting my local politician but fear that they are not going to disturb the status quo.
    Leaving the country and taking my business elsewhere is another - somewhat extreme - option.

If there were some more effective ways of venting anger then let's pursue them, get some momentum going and try to bring about some real change instead of crying into our pints!

The simple way is not to vote them back in again. I know this doesn't apply as no one voted for Callely but there's plenty of examples of politicians doing things while not technically illegal, definitely morally wrong and they top the poll in the next election. Until it is culturally unacceptable, these people will continue to think they can get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

Poochie05 wrote: »
    The simple way is not to vote them back in again. I know this doesn't apply as no one voted for Callely but there's plenty of examples of politicians doing things while not technically illegal, definitely morally wrong and they top the poll in the next election.
    Until it is culturally unacceptable, these people will continue to think they can get away with it.

Well said

Thing is, that Callely is just the tip of the iceberg, I have recently written about Stroke Fahy in Galway East, who got out of jail to top the poll, with the strong support of Mary Hanafin and her brother.

Another example we have Beverly Flynn, of whose expenses etc we can only gain access to about half the strokes she pulls -
    I wont bother going into details here - they are available at
    citizensimon.blogspot.com

However, with the current system, gombeen politics hold sway.

We hear a lot of talk about transparency and accountability, but othing is delivered, the freedom of information act was nutered by FF

We need to change the gombeen culture of constituancy politics, the only way to do that is electoral reform - e.g. get rid of the senate and introduce a list system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It looks like Harney is gone to ground/blaming the HSE on this latest scandal over miscarriages to hit the Health service.
    Like many scandals in her tenure she will no doubt manage to deflect blame from herself onto the local management or the HSE who will in turn deflect blame else where.
    The whole HSE "project" has been somewhat of a disaster and provides another level of shelter for the minister. While some good has come of it the resources have been completely squanders.
    They are talking about "centers of excellence" for prenatal care now.........surely the cost of the equipment and training people to use it properly justifies us calling any hospital a center of excellence for this care.
    If this were to happen, on top of all the other help screw ups in this country in the past 10 years almost anywhere else in the civilised world the minister responsible (who has no party and indeed no mandate from those that voted her in) would be long gone.
    But not in Ireland - her pals will back her to the hilt.

Advertisement