Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭M.Pool

Just started Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I got an audio book of this from the library, and enjoyed listening to it in the car. It's a good way of getting another book read! I particularly liked the part of the story about Oskar's grandparents. So enjoy it!

I've just started "One Day" by David Nicholls. It seems good so far. A couple meet on the same day every year for 20 years. I won't say any more in case you have yet to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Brill book, you won't be let down by the ending, very satisfying.
    Thanks for that. I just finished "The Little Stranger" by Sarah Waters this morning. You're right, not your typical ending, which I like. I have another Sarah Waters book "The Night Watch" so must get to that soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Thanks for that. I just finished "The Little Stranger" by Sarah Waters this morning. You're right, not your typical ending, which I like. I have another Sarah Waters book "The Night Watch" so must get to that soon.

I'm glad the ending didn't disappoint. I watched the film Paranormal Activity yesterday and obviously I'm not trying to compare the book to the film but I know which scared me the most and it wasn't the dvd.

The Night Watch is a great read too, completely different from TLS of course and there's no need to be wary of turning off the light when you put the book down ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,815 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Just started Tricks of the Mind by Derren Brown.

Really enjoying it so far. Brilliant read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭M.Pool

I particularly liked the part of the story about Oskar's grandparents. So enjoy it!

Thks. I just read the part where they meet in America last night. Very moving. An audio book is such a good idea for the car too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Just started Tricks of the Mind by Derren Brown.

Really enjoying it so far. Brilliant read.

It's a good read. The chapter on memory is great. I don't know if you've got that far yet but the part where you memorise the list of 20 items after one read through is amazing. I couldn't believe how easy it was to recite the list using the technique. Backwards too!!

It's a good read. The chapter on memory is great. I don't know if you've got that far yet but the part where you memorise the list of 20 items after one read through is amazing. I couldn't believe how easy it was to recite the list using the technique. Backwards too!!
    Telephone, sausage, monkey, button, book, cabbage, glass, mouse, stomach, cardboard, ferry, Christmas, athlete, key, wigwam, baby, kiwi, bed, paintbrush, walnut

:D

That section got a little confusing with the cards and numbers, but bear in mind that I was reading it at 1am last night.

Really looking forward to the Hypnosis and Suggestability section.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Ubik- Philip K Dick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Telephone, sausage, monkey, button, book, cabbage, glass, mouse, stomach, cardboard, ferry, Christmas, athlete, key, wigwam, baby, kiwi, bed, paintbrush, walnut

:D

That section got a little confusing with the cards and numbers, but bear in mind that I was reading it at 1am last night.

Really looking forward to the Hypnosis and Suggestability section.

I thought that the memory section was the best. The others, while interesting, didn't quite 'grab' me as much. I think it was because of the list memorising. It blew me away. Enjoy the rest of the book.

• Advertisement

Finished Tricks of the Mind. Really enjoyed his rant about mediums, psychics, alternative medicines, etc at the end.

Currently, I decided to give Catcher in the Rye another go, mainly because I'd read it about 2 years ago and I can't for the life of me remember any of it. :o

I'm about 48 pages in (8 chapters) and I think I know why I couldn't remember it. It really is irritating me, I don't know if it's the style of writing over Holden Caufield's character.

That being said...I feel compelled to carry on. It's like I enjoy getting annoyed by him.
    It's almost like watching a soap, and bitching about the snobby lady or the bitchy villian, etc.

I'll see how that measures out, and see if I can remember any of it afterwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I am STILL reading Melmoth the Wanderer. I want to read it more quickly, but it's such slow going. I just want to get to the end at this stage. I've also started The Damned United, which I'm loving.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭zippygirl

anything and i really do mean ANYTHING by the great and fabulous Charles de Lint. Start with The Onion Girl and go from there! Magical realism all the way! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Book 5 of Fablehaven series : Keys to the Demon Prison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

I'm reading Marley and Me at the moment, really liking it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Just started reading Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I'm going through a kind of "Henry VIII and his wives" phase at the moment. Currently reading The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory. So far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Howard's End by E. M. Forster. I've seen the film several times though never got around to reading the book until now. I'm really enjoying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

Just finished Thirteen Hours by Deon Meyer; next on the list...A Beautiful Place to Die by Malla Nunn and Below Zero by CJ Box.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tazkatie

I love Philippa Gregory Books. I think I have read all her historical fiction books now. The last one I read was the White Queen and I see that there is a new one coming out soon - The Red Queen.
    The White Queen was an interpretation of the Princes in the Tower story, excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Finished Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder last night. Despite the rather weak narrative about Sophie and her increasingly bizarre life, I really, really enjoyed this book, and I've now developed a fascination with philosophy as a result.

I'm currently trying to decide what to read next - I'm torn between Jane Eyre, Kafka on the Shore, The Remains of the Day, The Girl who Played with Fire, and The Shining. So hard to decide!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Raspberries

I have just started the Life of Pi, I've been hearing good and bad things, hopefully it will be good.

After that I'm going to read the Blind Assasin by Margaret Atwood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Skinback

Europe since Napoleon....I'm bracing myself for a concentrated read.....can't skim through this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Skinback

tazkatie wrote: »
    Loved the three Dan Brown books I have read. The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons and the Lost Symbol

Ya must have a strong stomach to read Brown.....gawd, just thinking of all that awful prose scares me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I have just started the Life of Pi, I've been hearing good and bad things, hopefully it will be good.

After that I'm going to read the Blind Assasin by Margaret Atwood.

I've just started Life of Pi aswell :)
    So far it has given me a new found respect for zoos

Skinback wrote: »
    Ya must have a strong stomach to read Brown.....gawd, just thinking of all that awful prose scares me.
    True, they are never going to be Booker Prize winners or classics as we understand classics to be, but to be honest I found them more enjoyable that some of the more high brow novels that I have read in the past.. Prose maybe not the best but enjoyable read nonetheless.. I can't think of a comparison to Dan Brown not a literay genuis but not bad to spend a weekend with..Easy to get caught up in his hype - clumsy prose aside!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

money...

by Martin Amis.

Enjoying it so far!

Quality wrote: »
    money...

by Martin Amis.

Enjoying it so far!
    Haven't read any Martin Amis.. I see his books on the shelf but always by pass him.. Any other recomendations to start off with Martin Amis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

About to tackle The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano.

Finished the astonishing 2666 by the same author a number of months ago, and really looking forward to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

How long did it take you to read 2666? I have it, just a bit afraid to tackle it! :)

Advertisement