Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, outside of Martial Arts - what floats your boat?.

Options
  • 22-05-2010 8:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Lets turn our attention away from Martial Arts for the moment, what interests/hobbies or other sports (maybe?) floats your boat when your not wearing the pyjama's?.

Me, well apart from the kids (both teens now, and anyone who know's me here will know my daughter, who has been like my shadow since she was born) my interests are mostly in cooking, my dogs (Richo & Ruby), cycling and mostly anything else which gets me outdoors.

If there's a nerdy side to me its that I love my Vespa PX200 scooter :p and I used to be heavily involved in HAM radio.

So, what has the forum got out there. Who are the closet nerds eh?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

HAM radio? man you are old :p

For me I love reading and studying history to the best of my ability.
    I also love the water and anything got to do with that, sailing or swimming in the sea.

I love dogs, have three myself, a jacker, a boxer and a mut - three characters.

Most of all though, spending time with good company over a coffee shooting the breeze and pretending to know everything about nothing. ;)

Nice thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭beGood

Good idea for a thread! I don't contribute as much here as I'd like but I'll add something anyway.

I definitely qualify as a nerd as I'm a mathematician, nothing more to be said there really :D

In the exericse area apart from Judo I'm into cross-country skiing in the winter here in Finland and cycling all year round. I've been known to dabble in a little swimming and running too.

Apart from that photography and reading are the things I do to balance the jock activities!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Believe it or not i love cooking and all things to do with food. Other than that my DVD collection speaks for itself.
    Oh and spoiling my kitten rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

I've started into this thing called Airsoft... though i havnt been training in jeez a few years now.
    Its a military simulation sport like paintball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Believe it or not i love cooking and all things to do with food. Other than that my DVD collection speaks for itself.
    Oh and spoiling my kitten rotten.

I believe!.

I find cooking is a great very positive way of spending some 'me time', I find I can really get my head around some of lifes difficulties in the kitchen. It gives me great time to reflect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

I like baking lately.
    After nine months getting seedy yeasty loaf right I'm starting on French Bread now! First try was good but my Lame work, needs work!

I like to cook when I've time, roast meats and roast veggies is my forte! The dinner Geek in me wants to play with Sous Vide and reverse sear work on steaks.

I like blades and sharpening them.

I read a Lot. Doesn't matter what it is (to a degree) I read anything, or I cannot sleep.

Once my rifle licences come back I will again enjoy hunting small game and vermin species, and eating them! :D

Sometimes I like to watch real crappy movies like "Step Up" or shows like "Glee". Guess I like singing and dancing despite being ****e at both!

No... Kata isn't "the same thing anyway shure lad"

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭weemate

I didnt know you where an old scooter boy sir!!
    outside of the mats,music...psychobilly,ska,rockabilly....proper music.lol.I have been known to play a bit of double bass.............oh...and my PX125 vespa!!

weemate wrote: »
    I didnt know you where an old scooter boy sir!!
    outside of the mats,music...psychobilly,ska,rockabilly....proper music.lol.I have been known to play a bit of double bass.............oh...and my PX125 vespa!!

Always had a feeling we'd more than a few nerds posting :p

Here's the scooter club I used to ride with.. http://homepage.eircom.net/~mlsc/

I used to run with sheer beer in the north,the club is still going but unfortunately Im not,lol.The only club from Dublin I recall was the Riff Raff though in saying that we are going back a long time,this is when the Finnegan brothers used to be running around before the commitments film came out.We used to meet them in the Fox and Phesant in town,and head off to clubs like mc gonigles...not a bad venue in its day.
    Nowadays if Im socializing in Dublin its at the retro revival club nights run by the guys from Spellbound since the Voodoo lounge shut down.

Shooting. Love to go for a ramble in the fields after training. The dog's a good jogging partner too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Train in muay thai,but when i aint doing that i like playing on the xbox/pc and playing old arcade games on emulators.Also enjoy fishing and read more than I would watch tv.Also have a young fella to buzz off as well

EDIT:@at makkoimi christ your a big ginger fukker!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Martial arts is my passion. Training karate nearly 10 years, MMA about 6. I like most sports, my favourites being
    GAA:)
    Soccer
    Rugby
    Track and Field Athletics

I also enjoy politics for some reason. Dont know why. Also reading books on history or martial arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

I had wanted to take up the guitar for years but always said I was too busy training. Finally decided to seriouly give it a go last year and now it takes up every spare moment I have! It's great though, two hours can easily slip by without noticing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

That’s gas, I used to have a vespa 100 19 years ago and we used to goto the rallies in Carlow, Waterford, Cavan etc. Outcasts SC Some craic :)

Now it’s spending time with the kids and thankfully they love kickboxing and come training with me 2 of the 3 nights I train. Like walking the hills in Wicklow, rugby, gym, reading and spending time in the auld garden is my therapy. Do a bit of cooking, try at least one night at the weekend to cook for the missus, never off a recipe, will have an idea before I start what we fancy but it can change along the way.

And of course a few pints.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Great idea for a thread. Tried to get the time to reply during the weekend. Wasn't to be. :)

Outside Muay Thai I like (in no particular order):
    Spending time with my family.
    An oul' chat. Doesn't have to be over anything in particular. Just passing time talking.
    Pints with mates.
    Computers / gadgets.
    Learning stuff.
    Travel.
    Astronomy. Haven't got any time to devote to this at the moment. It's one of those "like to learn about" things.
    Used to be a big gamer. Just haven't got the time for it any more.
    Not really interested in sports outside the Thai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

Good thread idea but it needs more guard pulling.

Outside of Jitz I mainly

Study (went back to College to study Med as a graduate)
    Cook steaks and try out Delia Smith recipes (Laugh all you want, Delia is awesome, she's no Rachel Allen though...)
    Fix my car when it breaks (I've replaced everything bar the engine on the thing - literally)
    Play pool
    Watch TV
    Play poker and drink with my friends

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

I had wanted to take up the guitar for years but always said I was too busy training. Finally decided to seriouly give it a go last year and now it takes up every spare moment I have! It's great though, two hours can easily slip by without noticing.

Just taken up the guitar myself. Got one for Christmas and started with lessons about 6 weeks ago. Am loving it, and yes an hour or two can vanish without notice!

Good thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭chprt

watching freddy roach videos

making lists of things i know i am never going to do

making lists of good foods I know I am never going to eat

walking the dog

abusing khannie No.1 hobby

hiking in the mountains with just a loin cloth on

reading jokes from mirwillbeback and then penning them off as my own

watching movies, reading books.

trying to be friends with celebs on facebook even though I know they wont accept and then messaging to ask why cant we be friends.

eating out in nice restaurants

and you prob wouldnt know this by looking at me but i love cheese :)

abusing khannie again

paddy

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

Beyond Martial Arts, and Architecture with which I’m equally obsessed, to relax, I’d watch films (I’m recently watching more short pieces, like “Sebastian’s Voodoo”, “Presto” and such), read books on MA and Architecture of course (in both cases classical and modern), ancient Chinese or modern English poetry, Terry Pratchett’s works, the Mrs’s library of psychoanalysis (it’s there), when I think about it anything from “Irish Humour” to Danielewski’s ”House of Leaves” (never finished it) . I play or attempt to play the guitar, my wife tells me I’m tone deaf, but she doesn’t understand the irrelevance of harmony in music, never having played in a punk band. I can be found in the back garden taking care of sabres, spears and swords, but more recently a bit of actual gardening, guess I must be getting old?
    All that of course is on a day to day basis, what rocks my boat is visiting places and structures ancient and modern. It’s strange the associations and feelings they engender, seeing Stonehenge was a total let down, a few garden ornaments beside a motorway, well; I had seen Dun Aengus first..... Wow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jake 74

theres an awfull lot of old scooter boys here love my t5 classic, listening to music 2 tone and mod, playing guitar and hanging out with the family
    oh yeh supporting a crap gaa team westmeath :) just a few of the ould intrests

• Advertisement

At this rate we could start the 'Tap or Nap Scooter Club' :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

Spending with my two Staffs (anything to do with dogs really).

Web design/illustration/animation

Writing/playing - music.

TV/Movies - especially Horror films.

Anything to do with the skepticism movement (podcasts, books, & mags, etc).

patches need to be made for this....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

I knew you f4cking mods all drove scooters and listened to the Jam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Call of duty and Tuborg.

fook you!!!
    psychobilly was/is the only music worth listening to.......mod ,my arse!:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Ha yup another nerd here, used to study maths but as of last week am finished. I guess you could call me recovering!? Aspiring med student.

And so apart from judo, it goes something like:

Long-distance running, and an aspiring triathlete.
    5-a-side football.
    Music/playing guitar.
    Travel/language.
    Educating myself a bit (current affairs/history/politics/economics) through wiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

not fully true, I used to have a mullet or as my bros still slag me a wrestlers hair cut cut back then. Far from a mod :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Mopeds are for sissy's-get a real bike like a CBR ya big wusses!!!

Wish i still had mine, that was fun..

Family is my life outside of training, happy days.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

cowzerp wrote: »
    Mopeds are for sissy's-get a real bike like a CBR ya big wusses!!!

Which CBR did you have?.

Over the years I've had everything from the old DT's and RD's (LC's and YPVS's) through to Gixxers and a CBR1000F, but of them all the only one I've truely loved is the Vespa.

Although I had a Honda Dominator 600 (600cc single), that was good old craic.. Here's a photo of it..

attachment.php?attachmentid=114990&stc=1&d=1274828116

And me on the Dommie doing a safe over take :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=114992&stc=1&d=1274828119

(mobil phone pic)...

Oh yea, if you've no photos of your CBR on the back wheel your a wussy ;P (to qoute you!!!)

Advertisement