Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sex during period?

Options
  • 18-05-2010 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm just trying to get the opinions of a few people on having sex during period. I've never done it, but have just started sleeping with my new bf and am due my period in the next few days. I dont want to unnecessarily freak him out by suggesting we have sex during it in case he's automatically disgusted by the thought, so just wanna do a bit of a straw poll on the matter first.

Men: would it bother you to have sex during a girls period? I'm not talking about oral, I think I'd draw the line there.

Women: does it feel much different, were you paranoid about the mess and potential embarrassment?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Now I've never done it (am a guy) with a girl as most women take it as a no no,and to most men period=no sex. I wouldnt be hugely against it and have suggested it to my current gf, she says its fairly light anyway but its up to her. I have heard it feels amazing to do it during it for the woman tho, as long as you do a bit of preparation, maybe have a tampon in, put a towel on the bed, that sort of thing, you should be ok. Its one of those things that a lot of men dont understand what actually happens, sure my ex told me her ex before me wouldnt even sleep in the same bed as her when she was on hers, he was a moron though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

unsure176 wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm just trying to get the opinions of a few people on having sex during period. I've never done it, but have just started sleeping with my new bf and am due my period in the next few days. I dont want to unnecessarily freak him out by suggesting we have sex during it in case he's automatically disgusted by the thought, so just wanna do a bit of a straw poll on the matter first.

Men: would it bother you to have sex during a girls period? I'm not talking about oral, I think I'd draw the line there.

Women: does it feel much different, were you paranoid about the mess and potential embarrassment?

Thanks!

Well yea im man and often had sex with partners on their period as long as they were comfortable with it, i wouldnt suggest it first the way my previous partnes mentioned it to me is to generally tell me their on thier period and gauge my reaction, id let her know im up for it so to speak and she would do the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Yes i would also say its just as good if not better than sex not on a period and from what my exs said it was a little better for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Melia

krudler wrote: »
    Now I've never done it (am a guy) with a girl as most women take it as a no no,and to most men period=no sex. I wouldnt be hugely against it and have suggested it to my current gf, she says its fairly light anyway but its up to her. I have heard it feels amazing to do it during it for the woman tho, as long as you do a bit of preparation, maybe have a tampon in, put a towel on the bed, that sort of thing, you should be ok. Its one of those things that a lot of men dont understand what actually happens, sure my ex told me her ex before me wouldnt even sleep in the same bed as her when she was on hers, he was a moron though.

Bad, bad idea! Put a towel down and you'll be fine. It actually eases cramps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sexdwarf

Um..defo a big no-no to the tampon in, I can only imagine that this would be extremely painful/damaging and practically not possible.

OP I defo won't do it, would feel very uncomfortable about the mess, and my BF is the same. Lots of people do it, maybe make a gentle suggestion, he'll let you know if he really doesn't want to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Depends on the people involved. Never a big fan of it, it actually grosses me out a bit, much to some of my lovers amusement. Esp when I ask "are you sure it's completely finished"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Ah period sex is great. I would probably judge someone a bit harshly if they found it disgusting as that just seems a bit childish. It is great for cramps as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sexdwarf

Monkey61 wrote: »
    Ah period sex is great. I would probably judge someone a bit harshly if they found it disgusting as that just seems a bit childish. It is great for cramps as well.

That's silly! For a lot of people blood is a cause of squeamishness. For people who have very heavy periods the last thing you want to be doing is haemorraging on your poor boyfriend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

OP, you could just tell him you have your period and gauge his reaction from there. Some men don't care, and some men do- you won't know til you speak to him. I think it's much more intimate to have sex with a partner while you have your period, both physically and emotionally. Make sure you're prepared for that. And don't forget to use a condom!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Learn some geography, man! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭kiwi123

My OH and i have done it when it's almost over, never at the start. I'm quite open about it and if i had my period i'd have no problem talking about it (getting sympathy and many cups of tea) Sure he can detect a change in mood anyway so he knows when i have it. We were talking about how women are more sensitive during their period and he said he wouldn't mind trying it. As long as you're comfortable with it and he doesn't mind it then there should be no problem. I'd strongly encourage a condom, first time he tried it and looked down he nearly had a little freak out, bless him! Don't think he realised there would be actual blood. Now he's a dab hand at it and it doesn't bother him at all. Personally though when i get my period first and it's heavy i'd rather just be hugged and watch the notebook and cry or something, i always feel gross at that stage so don't want to have sex.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

never been an issue for me or my partner or ex-partner, we just have sex whenever the mood takes us regardless of periods

sexdwarf wrote: »
    Um..defo a big no-no to the tampon in, I can only imagine that this would be extremely painful/damaging and practically not possible.

OP I defo won't do it, would feel very uncomfortable about the mess, and my BF is the same. Lots of people do it, maybe make a gentle suggestion, he'll let you know if he really doesn't want to!

Sorry I meant to have one in before sex, I'm not that oblivious to how the female body works :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 older smiley

Back in the day my g/f and I would make sure to have sex during her period.She said it helped with the cramps and it was the only time we could have sex without a condom(not advising anyone to do the same).I dont understand why men have a problem with period sex as sex is meant to be messy anyway.Try sharing a shower and then you wont have a problem cleaning up and its more fun.Also leaving a Tampon in is a clean way of having oral as the parts you need to concentrate on are outside the Tampon anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Eeew eeew eeww. Periods are traumatic, no way would I be comfortable letting my bf go near me down there while Aunt Flo is visiting. To me, it's just one of those things that should remain private. Ugh I mean think of the mess afterwards! Towel or no towel I just think the idea of it is horrible :eek: ugh! Just no!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP here, thanks for your opinions. I think the main thing I'm worried about is the fact that we have just started having sex together, and I don't want what might be a negative/messy experience to make him think of me in a non-desirable way! I think I'll just broach the subject and see how up for it he seems.

Monkey61 wrote: »

Most people would tbf, to most people blood is really offputting, the idea of trying to relax and have sex while imagining theres blood in places where it normally isnt is a bit unsettling.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

unsure176 wrote: »
    If it was a new relationship or a one-night stand, I'd probably be a little bit tenuous. In a long-term relationship, not a problem.

Oddly enough, for what should be one of the most precious of our "limbs", us men seem to have no qualms about sticking our penis into anything and everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i've had one partner who was happy to do it, (and said it made things more exciting) it grossed the others out!

shower beforehand and dark towel on teh bed, and you're sorted

i've gotten oral when i've had my period - again, shower beforehand and pop a tampon in and off you go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Darthhoob

my OH doesn't mind it...though afterwards it's a bit gross :pac:

however...as horny as i am during a period i dont like sex during it really...it just ...feels weird :confused:

• Advertisement

Em just wondering why people are saying that its impossible to have with tampon in? It's not and it stops blood flow. I have sex with my girlfriend during her period all the time, she loves it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I am always so so horny during my period. However havin had sex once with an ex during it, the look of disgust on his face, the running to the bathroom to clean up, and saying 'theres quite a lot of blood', has def put me off doing it again. You don't want to feel disgusting, nobody does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

blofd wrote: »
    Em just wondering why people are saying that its impossible to have with tampon in? It's not and it stops blood flow. I have sex with my girlfriend during her period all the time, she loves it

Its certainly not recommended to have a tampon in while having sex. We were told during our (rather quite good) female hygiene/sex ed talks in school that there is the very obvious danger of being unable to get it out afterwards (considering they should be changed every 4 - 8 hours, getting one stuck isn't a good idea) and it can cause bruising and small tears that could leave you more susceptible to infections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Never tried this, never want to either. The idea doesn't appeal to me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Not with a new boyfriend, not a good idea. One that you have for a while depends on where you are or how much if you know what I mean, but not near the start of a relationship.

blofd wrote: »

Err..a tampon is a few inches long so unless you have a very short penis you are going to be pushing the tampon up into the cervix. This a) is very uncomfortable and b) without a dangling string can make it difficult to get the tampon back out. Neither of which are great outcomes.

Deep fishing for a cervix rubbing tampon does not good sex make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭lynsalot

Hey Op,

Personally I've never had a problem with it. It depends on how comfortable you are with someone so might be best left a while if the bf is new. Just drop it into the conversation when things are heating up.... oh we can't coz i'm... ya know and see how he reacts. it actually does feel better for a woman because there's more lubrication naturally down there. It doesn't have to be a messy experience. If you've been wearing a tampon for a short time before, then things should stay "clean" until it's over. Def put an old towel down under u to avoid any nasty patches. Jump in the shower afterwards - grand. Oh and if you're using a condom it shouldn't gross him out too much. It's very much a personal choice though.

one poster above mentioned it's traumatic... it certainly isn't. It's completely natural! It's as gross as your boyfriend ejaculating?!? I would just brace the subject and see his reaction.

Let us know how it goes lol or not... whatever the case may be

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Yeah I have no problem with it (male here), its kinda kinky in a way. There is also a very diffrent sensation when you do this for guys too.

Some of the best sex I have ever had was on period.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

i think that girls are used to seeing their periods, and are matter-of-fact about clearing up afterward, but guys dont see that as often.

it really depends on the guy - if he is ok with a possible mess, and doesnt mind the sight of blood, then fine, but its also fine if it grosses him out - took me about a year to get used to them myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

genreally have no problem with it, in fact its quite good sex, she is so much more hornier and her orgasms are quite intense.

put down a towel,lower the lights have tissue at hand and you'll be grand.

in saying that (beause your just getting started) if its heavy bleedin at the start you may be better of having a head ache at the start.

if you think he may be little bit freaked out and if he is wearing a condom, you may feel more comfortabel taking if off so he doesn't look down and get a shocked

Advertisement