Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

tech2 wrote: »
    Anyone else notice there will be yet another LILO on the M18 this time the Kiltiernan junction on the Gort-Oranmore scheme. It will make a total of 4 LILO's on the future M18 and half a LILO at Gort(if there was such a thing before)
    Excuse my ignorance, LILO?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

antoobrien wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, LILO?
    Left in left out junction.

All motorway slips are actually lilos, it's used however to describe the almost T junction like ones on the M18. These are standard on German Autobahns though and I see no problem with them on lightly trafficked motorways like the M18. Better to have the motorway with LILOs than no motorway at all.

So long as the signage reflects the junction, all should be well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

murphaph wrote: »
    All motorway slips are actually lilos, it's used however to describe the almost T junction like ones on the M18. These are standard on German Autobahns though and I see no problem with them on lightly trafficked motorways like the M18. Better to have the motorway with LILOs than no motorway at all.

So long as the signage reflects the junction, all should be well.

I have no problem with them just the inconsistent design on motorways across Ireland, why didnt the M6,M7,M8 and M9 have these for the junctions which will recieve lighter traffic.

The only minor bad point is not in fact the junction itself but the people using them. Ghostdriving has been seen with drivers entering the M18 the incorrect way using the junctions on the Ennis bypass.

Anyway just mentioning that there is one on the Gort-Oranmore scheme for those who didnt know. :)

Just after spotting this today, EIB have aproved part finance of the M17/M18 PPP :D
    N17-N18 Gort to Tuam PPP Motorway

Date of entry
    23/02/2010

Proposed EIB finance
    Up to EUR EUR 170 million.

Total cost
    EUR 530 million

Status
    Approved - 11/05/2010.

link

• Registered Users Posts: 29 crusheenman

Tech2, any idea who the contractor will be? alot of people will be looking to get some work on this project.. it will be good for the area.

• Advertisement

No word as of yet. October seems to be the date given when the consortia to build and finance the project will be announced. Granted some of the project will be loaned out(and backed) by the EIB I would be more confident of this one going ahead over the M11/N7 PPP.

Here is the two consortia remaining:
    BAM Balfour Beatty BAM PPP
    Balfour Beatty Capital Ltd

Direct Route Allied Irish Bank
    Strabag SE
    John Sisk & Sons (Holdings) Ltd
    Roadbridge
    Lagan Construction Limited

Does anybody have any information on how the tender is decided. The remaining consortia were announce in late January (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64189298&postcount=269 &
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64189411&postcount=271) and they have specified October as a final decision date. This sounds like an awfully long time to me (admittedly not a civil engineer) to be inspecting the projects, plans, finances etc after a presumably thorough look at all the consortia that had entered a tender.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/13030-july-deadline-two-bidders-gort-tuam-motorway
    The final bids from the two building firms battling to win the Gort to Tuam road contract are due in July.

The National Roads Authority has confirmed the bids from BAM Balfour Beatty and Direct Route are expected in July and a decision will be made by September.

The contract award is still on track to be made in the autumn for work to begin very early in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

If this actually does go ahead it will be fantastic. I can't wait to be be able to drive from Sligo to Shannon airport in a predictable time - Tuam - Shannon is about 70 miles and on seamless DC motorway will take about an hour will make such a huge difference for taking flights from Shannon. To be able to predict the journey whatever time of day it is taken will be such a relief.... roll on.

Mind you what will Gort Tuam do for the Western Rail Corridor - kill it off I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

westtip wrote: »
    If this actually does go ahead it will be fantastic. I can't wait to be be able to drive from Sligo to Shannon airport in a predictable time - Tuam - Shannon is about 70 miles and on seamless DC motorway will take about an hour will make such a huge difference for taking flights from Shannon. To be able to predict the journey whatever time of day it is taken will be such a relief.... roll on.

Mind you what will Gort Tuam do for the Western Rail Corridor - kill it off I reckon

Not if WOT have their way. Looks like WRC could beat could beat Gort/Tuam motorway into Tuam in terms of completion date

See attached link http://www.westontrack.com/news235.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

It would be great if they could do the Gort to M6 part first and then M6 to Tuam part then, as opposed to waiting until the project is fully complete.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

WOT can dream on about any work starting on Athenry-Tuam this year. Or next.

black47 wrote: »
    Not if WOT have their way. Looks like WRC could beat could beat Gort/Tuam motorway into Tuam in terms of completion date

See attached link http://www.westontrack.com/news235.htm

Just up to their usual tricks of only posting positive news on their website - DOT will review this one dependent on uptake and usage of Ennis Athenry (phase 1), there maybe an announcement in Septembe but my guess is it will be a delay of the Tuam line, if not a complete postponement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Hi all

seems from the maps that the motorway

will cross the Galway<>Monivea road (R339)
    @ Caheratemore South

Does anyone know if there is going to be access from r339 onto the motorway? or anywhere in vicinity for that matter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Nope, Athenry or Carnmore as is the case now.

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is going to be access from r339 onto the motorway? or anywhere in vicinity for that matter
    Haven't seen the maps/plans but looking at the other m/ways that have been built, it's highly unlikely that there will be anything between the M6 - M17/18 junction (at Rathmoriisy I think) and Tuam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Nope, Athenry or Carnmore as is the case now.

Bleh oh well :( there me hoping for an easy motorway entry close to home

the monivea<>athenry road floods at times if i want to get on motorway there

there is a junction at Annagh Hill planed according to map, that could be close enough, ill need to check the backroads getting there, the Roscommon road (N63) is not the best around those parts either

I sure hope they complete the r339, they stopped with the good stretch of the road before the railway crossing bridge (which is narrow to say least) on way from Monivea, and the next few kilometres towards where this motorway will cross are lethal (narrow, sharp bends, potholes and bad surface)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

there is a junction at Annagh Hill planed according to map

There is indeed. An intersection with the N63 which is logical enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Hi all

@ Caheratemore South

I think the nearest access point will be near Annagh Hill, on the N63

antoobrien wrote: »
    Haven't seen the maps/plans but looking at the other m/ways that have been built, it's highly unlikely that there will be anything between the M6 - M17/18 junction (at Rathmoriisy I think) and Tuam.

There will be one junction between J1 and J3 of the M17, J2 will be for the N63.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭funnyname

Hi all

@ Caheratemore South

Any maps for the Gort to Rathmorrissy section?

http://www.galway.ie/RoadProjects/n18orangort/n18.htm

funnyname wrote: »
    Any maps for the Gort to Rathmorrissy section?

Yep

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,546487,725385,5

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ForiegnNational

Sponge Bob wrote: »

I love the fact that:
    a) The motorway is shown as complete all the way to North of the M6
    b) It is shown as ending in a booreen in the middle of the countryside (no offense to anybody living there)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭ilovegermany

I emailed the NRA the other day to get an update on this project and this is the reply i got:

Both the N17/N18 and the N11 Arklow Rathnew schemes are down to the final two Participants. On the N17/N18 scheme the tenders are planned to be submitted within the next fortnight.
    The tenders for the Arklow Rathnew scheme are expected to be received in late September.
    The pre-qualifying consortia for the M11 Gorey to Enniscorthy / New Ross Bypass scheme are expected to be announced within the next fortnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

i dropped into the design office before, said i was building a house etc, and they gave me a big drawing of the road from above tuam to the interchange with the M6, that was like 2 years ago, they must be boared silly, office is in ballybrit industrial park, nice people,

the is only one interhcange at annagh hill, current intersection of N63 and the new road, its very close to where the tuam athenry road currently crosses the N63,

it will be great when this road starts,

I love the fact that:
    a) The motorway is shown as complete all the way to North of the M6
    b) It is shown as ending in a booreen in the middle of the countryside (no offense to anybody living there)!

My guess is the spur the north of the M6 would not be opened even if built until the road drops down from the north to connect with it. It would great if they could start both projects simultaneously to (a) get the economy moving in the west with the construction jobs it would bring (b) to knock on the head the northern Western Rail Corridor (c) to speed up the whole bloody process of completing the much needed ARC.

Now here's a thought can you imagine if Irish Rail and Bus Eirrean got together and insisted on a bus rail interchange station and service station at one of the points at which the new m17/18 crosses the rail line????

In the link posted above http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,546487,725385,5

Which shows the proposed N17 extension north of the Gort bypass scheme.

The proposed M17 crosses the Dublin – Galway rail line in the townland of Derry donnel Moor

Would this not be a good opportunity to have an integrated – small and modest – bus/rail interchange to be built at the same time as the bridge is built over the rail line. I know it would add to the cost but think about the opportunity it would present for integrated bus/rail transport planning (now there’s a novel thought).

Actually looking at the map this could have been done on the M6 either at the point the WRC south is crossed by the M6 or at the point the Athenry Galway line is crossed by the M6, which probably would have been better – and made this a new site for an Athenry/Rail/Bus interchange.
    In fact looking at the map, had the WRC southern section had a small spur built at Gorthanown, the issue of turning drivers round at Athenry would not have arisen, the WRC south would have had better service, there could have been a bus/rail interchange at a new Athenry station at the site of the M6/Rail crossing (which is where the interchange at Newford clearly could have been built) and instead of all this fuss about the WRC northern line –, and who knows the alignment of the M17/18 could have been designed to come in on this interchange.

If this had been planned the need (which is highly questionable anyway) for the WRC north is gone – with good fast bus services focusing on this interchange.
    Then if all coaches granted a licence to the Dublin –Galway route had to stop at this interchange – my god what kind of integrated public rail and road transport could we have had.

Look at the map and consider the area just west of Athenry, in the townlands of Newford, Ballygaurin West, and Rathmorrisey – we have two new motorways, a reopened rail line and a pre-existing rail line from Galway to Dublin all running within the space of less than two miles of each other – and absolutely no integration or linkages between any of them - What on earth is going on with integrated public transport planning – people won’t switch to use public transport unless you make the infrastructure user friendly for them to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

That OSI map is a little strange.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,547974,721535,1

It shows the M18 finishing slightly north of the M6 but I assumed that the Gort to Tuam motorway would be tendered out as one job. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

@ westtip,

IMO, any integrated Bus and Rail Park and Ride should go in Oranmore. There is a new (badly planned) station being built there soon anyway; they should should redesign/upscale it. An integrated Rail and Bus P&R in Oranmore has huge potential - it would serve Oranmore town (population 3,000+); serve Oranmore Business Park; act as a proper Park & Ride for Galway City (the M6 West of Rathmorrissey will be really busy once the M17/M18 is built and Oranmore station will be easily accessible from the M6 via an existing interchange); there are already 28 trains (14 e/w) passing through the Oranmore area everyday with plenty of spare capacity.

People would park and use the trains to get to Galway City Centre and use buses to get to the industrial estates and business parks on the East side of Galway City. And with proper integrated ticketing you could, for example, get the train from Athenry to Oranmore and then change onto a bus there for East Galway City with just the one ticket.

Ren2k7 wrote: »
    That OSI map is a little strange.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,547974,721535,1

It shows the M18 finishing slightly north of the M6 but I assumed that the Gort to Tuam motorway would be tendered out as one job. :confused:

You assumed right. The tender will be out soon for motorway.from Gort-Tuam and then a 2+2 bypass of Tuam itself.

• Advertisement

KevR wrote: »
    @ westtip,

IMO, any integrated Bus and Rail Park and Ride should go in Oranmore.

Was it not Westtip who came up with the 'express bus' corrridor model for long and medium distance travel in/to/within the west coast corridor and with an intermodal interchange somewhere around Oranmore ( can't find the thread )

Advertisement