Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I hate when people don't know how to multi-quote :(

But it get's your post count up ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭bestie

charged for taking a bottle out of a minbar even to look at it?

bizarre!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

bestie wrote: »
    charged for taking a bottle out of a minbar even to look at it?

bizarre!

That's probably because even stingier people try and fill them back up with water / tea so it looks like they're still full.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I worked in a repair yard which had a trailer in that had been up in flames.
    The load was cans of Club Orange but as they were covered under the insurance so the customer didn't want them back.
    All the staff got to drink the blackened cans for free, they were fine to drink.

Anyway, one Monday morning we came in & the 1000's of cans were gone.
    Turns out that one of the lads loaded up his van with them the previous Friday & brought them home.
    He then washed them & sold them outside the GAA pitch in Port that Sunday.
    He was charging €1 a can :eek::eek::eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,268 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    I worked in a repair yard which had a trailer in that had been up in flames.
    The load was cans of Club Orange but as they were covered under the insurance so the customer didn't want them back.
    All the staff got to drink the blackened cans for free, they were fine to drink.

Anyway, one Monday morning we came in & the 1000's of cans were gone.
    Turns out that one of the lads loaded up his van with them the previous Friday & brought them home.
    He then washed them & sold them outside the GAA pitch in Port that Sunday.
    He was charging €1 a can :eek::eek::eek:.

Who the hell would drink fizzy club oranage after a GAA match? Spectators I guess?

More to the point, who on earth would purchase blackened cans of 'mystery' fluid from some lad at a GAA pitch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

noodler wrote: »
    Who the hell would drink fizzy club oranage after a GAA match? Spectators I guess?

More to the point, who on earth would purchase blackened cans of 'mystery' fluid from some lad at a GAA pitch?

Yes spectators, he'd sell an absolute rake load of them.

We're told in the post that he washed them to get the black off before selling them

• Registered Users Posts: 26,268 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yes spectators, he'd sell an absolute rake load of them.

Ahaahah. Okay, if nobody was disturbed by the odd man selling burnt cans of overpriced and warm orange.
    We're told in the post that he washed them to get the black off before selling them

As in burnt black? I personally don't see how you could just wash that off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

I'm assuming they were smoke damaged which would rub off. If they were actually in the fire they would have exploded with the heat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

noodler wrote: »
    Ahaahah. Okay, if nobody was disturbed by the odd man selling burnt cans of overpriced and warm orange.

As in burnt black? I personally don't see how you could just wash that off.

They weren't scorched, only smoke damaged.
    Anyway, they were full of liquid at the time.
    Hold a lighter against the label on a full wine bottle next time you have one.
    The liquid absorbs the heat & you cant even scorch the paper label.
    Then repeat once the wine has passed below the label.
    Make sure you do it outside btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

My Grandmother, who wouldn't be short of a few quid, is stingy as all fuck. One time driving she pulled over on a small country road and walked back about 200 yards to pick up a block of wood she seen to burn in the fire. And her with half a shed full of wood back at her house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,297 ✭✭✭✭Victor

She was right. Less trips to he petrol station.
    Wrong. Because one would be making fewer trips to the petrol station, one would be travelling fewer miles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Victor wrote: »
    Wrong. Because one would be making fewer trips to the petrol station, one would be travelling fewer miles.

You just reiterated what I said

• Registered Users Posts: 78,297 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Did I? The discussion is about MPG (Miles Per Gallon), not miles per trip to the petrol station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Jordan Berbatov

Where I work something was priced at €29.99, however because of some sort of technacality it was coming up on the till as €30, so one women fussed up over this and the guy on the till tried to explain to her the technacality, but she was having none of it and demanded that he take the 1 cent off, no word of a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Where I work something was priced at €29.99, however because of some sort of technacality it was coming up on the till as €30, so one women fussed up over this and the guy on the till tried to explain to her the technacality, but she was having none of it and demanded that he take the 1 cent off, no word of a lie.

Funny thing is, I read them both as €30!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭RustyBeanTin

Did I? The discussion is about MPG (Miles Per Gallon), not miles per trip to the petrol station.
    I'm confused?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Juwwi

l think she was right.

If she handed you 29.98 you probably wouldnt sell her the item

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

No, its about MPG achieved from a full tank v MPG gained from several partially filled tanks. This was done, killed, MURDERED! Read back a few pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

While sweeping the floor in a Butchers shop about 100 years ago, I used to get a gentle clip in the ear from the owner who'd say "There's sixpence on the floor"
    I'd be looking everywhere for the sixpence,... he'd bend down and pick up a wooden skewer and dust it off and show it to me, there you are money saved he'd say... I'd be scratching my head looking at him as he'd walk away?

• Advertisement

While sweeping the floor in a Butchers shop about 100 years ago, I used to get a gentle clip in the ear from the owner who'd say "There's sixpence on the floor"
    I'd be looking everywhere for the sixpence,... he'd bend down and pick up a wooden skewer and dust it off and show it to me, there you are money saved he'd say... I'd be scratching my head looking at him as he'd walk away?
    aha, i get it

the wooden skewer costed sixpence.

If she handed you 29.98 you probably wouldnt sell her the item

Ah I would though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

A mate of mine used to always come over to my place and just drink my beer without ever bringing any. I got sick of this so one day collected him and said we were stopping at the shop to get beers as i only had 2 beers in my house. So the 2 of us in the shop looking at beer. I pick up a 6 pack of bud and say to the mate what you getting? He looks at me and says 'ah i'll do with the 2 you have at home'. Im still in shock!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

so let me get this straight, you get caught falsley advertising an item...and she's the stingy one? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

In the shop where I work I was giving somebody change one time, say €2.25, and as the coppers all look the same I gave her a 2 cent piece instead of a 5 cent piece. She obviously didn't notice and left the shop. About 30 minutes later she came bake having driven back down and politely informed me that I owed her 3 cent!! The stingy cow probably spent more on the petrol coming back down in the first place!!

I also have a mate who's really bad. For example it's often happened that when we're drinking and he's had enough he'll offer to sell his last can or two. It's not a case of someoneeven asking can they buy it off him (any decent person would just give it away) but he'll actually try sell it. People like that do my head in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

My uncle once brought a medium chip and a loaf of bread and shared out out between himself his wife and their 6 kids.

Very stingy - you would think he could have shelled out on a large chip. Or even a bag of chips.

so let me get this straight, you get caught falsley advertising an item...and she's the stingy one? :confused:

yes because its 1 cent, i know she was well within her rights to get the item at the price advertised, but would you bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

yes because its 1 cent, i know she was well within her rights to get the item at the price advertised, but would you bother?

Shes not. Under law, the price advertised is an invitation to treat. when she brings the item to the till she's making an offer to buy the item at that price. the shopkeeper is well within their rights to accept or reject this offer.

Kersmash wrote: »
    Shes not. Under law, the price advertised is an invitation to treat. when she brings the item to the till she's making an offer to buy the item at that price. the shopkeeper is well within their rights to accept or reject this offer.

i did not know that, I just presumed, I'v never actually worked on the till before, the keep me upstairs away from the customers :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

When i was about 14/15 i went into a shop & had a sandwich made up for me at the deli. I can't rember the exact details but when i went up to the counter to pay i was about 30p (pre-euro days!) short.
    You know what they did? Took the sandwich back over to the deli opened it up & took out the cheese to square up the price.
    I was only a young fella but in hindsight it was quite a humiliating experience & i should have told em to fcuk themselves. Miserable bunch.

Yeah yeah i know i should have had the right money but its a pretty pathetic thing to do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement