Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 16: Fish Pie

Options
  • 19-04-2010 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭

Hope you like this one, it's very easy and tasty!

You'll need:
    1 small carrot
    1 small onion
    1 pot of cream (250ml I think?)
    Handful of grated strong cheddar cheese
    Parsley

150g smoked fish
    150g white fish
    Baby potatoes
    Cherry tomatoes
    Frozen peas

- Par boil the spuds until just about cooked. I usually have them in bite sized chunks.
    - Meanwhile finely dice the carrot & onion and soften in butter/oil over a lowish heat.
    - Add the cream to the onion & carrot and bring to a simmer. Add in grated cheese and parsley.
    - Cut fish into chunks and arrange in oven dish with potatoes and cherry tomatoes. You can add in some frozen peas here too, if you wish.
    - Pour over the cream mixture and make sure everything gets a good coating.
    - Bake in oven for about 30 mins at 180 deg. I usually take it out about half way and give it a turnaround to make sure everything is coated nicely.

Serve with lots of crusty bread for moppage! And a simple green salad goes well too.

This will serve about 2/3. We will usually make good work of it between the two of us :) Don't have the dish swimming in the sauce, it just doesn't work! And you can pop more cheese on top after the mid-cooking turnaround for extra cheezyness.

I'll post pics tomrw!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

thanks OP, but i think i will opt of this one, cant think of a fish substitute :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 MaryDub

Sounds great!! MMMmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Made a fish pie only last week, but totally different type of recipe! Will give this a shot the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I'm going to make this tonight, have cod and smoked coley

70baaa24.jpg

it was really really tasty - not very pie like, but gorgeous!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I suppose it's not really a pie. I prefer the potato in chunks, so I don't mash them for the top. But that looks exactly how it should turn out. Oo... getting hungry now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

irishbird wrote: »
    thanks OP, but i think i will opt of this one, cant think of a fish substitute :)

Works well with chicken and rashers too.

I always use white fish, smoked fish and salmon. The salmon really adds to the flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Works well with chicken and rashers too.

I always use white fish, smoked fish and salmon. The salmon really adds to the flavour.

thanks - but the whole vegetarian thing doesnt allow chicken and rashers:o

EDIT - THIS IS IRISHBIRD NOT DES - HEAVEN FORBID

Waiting for the husband to come home from the pub (via the shops) for the final ingredients

IMG_1749.JPG

Just before I pop it into the oven

IMG_1756.JPG

Before I devour it!

IMG_1762.JPG

And Holly enjoying the dish (don't worry - we use a dishwasher!)

IMG_1772.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Hi olaola

Just made this now and had it. It was lovely. Thank you.

picture.php?albumid=1068&pictureid=5951

Nice dog, by the way! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

70baaa24.jpg

You can't really do a pie in a metallic oven tray? Can you? Though like you said I suppose it's not really a pie. More a fish bake sort of thing.

EDIT: Might actually give your recipe a bash olaola, since it's quite different to how I would normally think of a fishpie.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

That looks like a glass dish rather than a metallic oven tray!

aidan24326 wrote: »

EDIT: Might actually give your recipe a bash olaola, since it's quite different to how I would normally think of a fishpie.

I suppose you could mash the spuds and pop them on top if you preferred. There is a good bit of flavour in relation to the amount of prep you have to do. 'Bang for your buck' as I like to say!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

DSC_1892.jpg

Yet another dish I'll be doing again. Thanks olaola.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

Tried this today.

Tesco are selling fish pie packs including Salmon, cod and smoked haddock.

I'd give my effort a 6/10. Maybe I'll throw in a splash of white wine next time because it lacked a bit of flavour. Maybe the fish combinations were off???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Fish needs plenty of seasoning, my dish got a good twist of salt and pepper before the sauce went on, perhaps this is where it was lacking?

Could have been down to the fish though....

Olaola, do you think it would work with creme fraiche or should I just go the whole hog, not worry about the health thing and go for the cream cause it will taste way better?

(there's a clue in the question :p)

Malari, I've substituted creme fraiche for cream in a few things recently and I've always been disappointed. Go with the cream!

Malari wrote: »
    Olaola, do you think it would work with creme fraiche or should I just go the whole hog, not worry about the health thing and go for the cream cause it will taste way better?

(there's a clue in the question :p)

I've tried doing it with milk, milk and cream, light cream and creme fraiche.
    It's has split nearly everytime I've done it. So now I just do it with cream - you could use a roux I suppose to thicken milk? I've never done it like that though.

olaola wrote: »
    I've tried doing it with milk, milk and cream, light cream and creme fraiche.
    It's has split nearly everytime I've done it. So now I just do it with cream - you could use a roux I suppose to thicken milk? I've never done it like that though.

I normally make a roux when I do fish pie, but want to try your recipe this time, so cream it is!

Will report back tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Malari wrote: »
    I normally make a roux when I do fish pie, but want to try your recipe this time, so cream it is!

Will report back tomorrow.

It really tastes the best with cream. In my pics there are a little too many spuds - I just emptied the pack in! But you'll get the ratios right yourself when you're looking. When it all goes right - the sauce gets creamy and it's very tasty. I don't season it myself, as the smoked fish is enough.

Very tasty! When I said I was making fish pie, my boyfriend was expecting something totally different, but he liked it. It's probably a little rich, with the cream, but every so often what harm, eh? ;) And there were plenty of vegetables in it to make up for that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Hi,

Made this last week... meant to post.

It was really nice. I mashed the potato (and 1 sweet potato) and put it on top (as I prefer it that way) and put in leek instead of carrot as I don't like carrot. Think I also added in some parsley and some mustard.

Our local fishmonger sells a fish mix so used that with some prawns.

Thanks Olaola - will def be making this again.

4934163675_df9850f6a9_m.jpg

4934757418_3328d7543f_m.jpg

Served it with samphire (as I saw it when buying the fish).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Will definitely try this! Sorry for resurrecting old threads but I have a fish mix in the freezer that I will be using for.this! :)

Sorry for resurrecting old threads

This is one forum when you're welcome (and encouraged!) to resurrect any threads you like! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Thankies! :) my new years resolution is to make everything from the cooking club... I hope I live up to the wonderful dishes when I post in april! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

And welcome on board. ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Fish pie in the oven.
    Used cream and a dash of white wine. Carrot, mushroom , garlic, red pepper and onion. Not sure how that combination will pan out. Put plenty of butter into the mash and nice bit of salt and ground pepper.

Had this again tonight (again as in first time since 2010) and wondered why we don't have it more regularly, delish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Decided to make a fish pie tonight, based it off this recipe. I made a few changes - I cooked the fish in the cream sauce for a few minutes before adding to the oven dish, left out the cherry tomatoes and made a mashed potato topping (which got a bit swallowed up by the sauce!) It was lovely :)

Advertisement