Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speedy Gonzales or Slowpoke Rodriguez?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Sun 11/4/2010

Marathon 28 miles total

Mon 12/4/2010

3 miles hobble and stretches

Tue/Wed Rest

Thurs 15/4/2010

Lunch: easy swim

6 miles easy. Legs feeling better but 2 weeks until full recovery Id say.

Have to get my 1000 mile challenge counter ticking over again.

Busy week but hoping to have marathon report up shortly

The announcer says 2 minutes to go but Im still ouside my pen on the Champs Elysses looking for a way in!
    I decide to follow another competitor scale the 2 metre metal barrier thing. Im now with my back to teh Arc de Triomhe on the right hand side of the road facing down the Avenue. Im way too far back. A lot of teashirts and the plastic warmers they gave is in the registration bag have been discarded beside the barrier so I run walk on top of these and further towards the front. When the starter goes I’m about 2000 places from the front but not too bad. Takes about a minute to reach the start line and I start the GPS. I immediately settle into an easy pace on the significant downhill and am moving a lot faster than people around me. I have Ireland written on my top and a South African guy says hello and tells me that he proposed to his Co. Meath girlfriend on the top of the Ark the evening before. I congratulate him and chat a bit too long afterr he tells me hes going for sub 3hrs before moving on. The avenue is Wide but it is still not easy to get through the crowds. My fist mile is 6.43. Im not aware of tis as I have time/ average pace /current pace (in KMs) on my GPS display. Not worried about the slow pace, it will thin out, Ive started slowly and the first pitfall has been avoided (starting fast). Am feeling good.
    My aim is sub 2.45 I feel I may be good enough for low 2.40’s but I will run as I feel and asses time as a secondary concern assuming Im not going too slow.

Pass place de la concorde and onto Rue Rivoli heading East behind Tuilieres gardens, Lovre and towards Bastille. Im finding it hard to get around runners. I cant stay put because the pace is too slow but I know it will thin out eventually. Through 5k, slow at 21.43 but felt very easy and I am confident it will be my slowest.
    6-7k and the 3hr pacers are just ahead now (going too fast) with a massive swarm of hundreds of runners around them. There is room ahead of this crowd but I must pick my time to go around.

I get around after a k and can run in slightly straighter lines although the road is narrow and congested still. 10k station and first gel from my belt. Bought belt and all: 3 slow release gels with 20-20-30 on them to be taken at these kilometre marks, 3 gels with energy and electrolyte with 15-25-35 on them and the 7th for quick release help in last few K. No sign of a little cyanide pouch though. No need hopefully.

Entering first Park and Bois De Vincennes. My pace has increased naturally and my average pace has gone from 4 mkm to around 3.56. I estimate it will be close to 2.40 pace average (3.48) when we get to mile 20 and feel that the way Im going I have an outside chance of a sub 2.40. I feel I am pushing slightly so ease back into the correct comfortable pace and find that my pace hasn’t reduced as a result. Cant underestimate completely relaxed running.

There has been a headwind for most of the way (of no factor due to crowds) and can feel it more here in the park. The field is only occupying one side of the road and congestion is no longer a factor. I am still passing runners all the time and this keeps my concentration and positivity up. We reach the furthest point East and turn back towards the city and reach the 15k water. I realise Ive lost 3 gels! Ive no excuse the gels were packed upside down in the belt when I bought them but my girlfriend had pointed this out that morning. I examined the belt at that stage decided “they were grand” with the resultant dilemma. They had raisins sugar cubes orange segs at each station so went for raisins and oranges and decided to leave gels to later in race. (probably should have gone for a consecutive gel /sugar-raisin policy but didn’t make much difference).
    This is the fastest section of the course. This is a fast section of the course Through halfway and surprised to see 83:20 on the clock. Its really about 82:20 but my GPS is telling me Im running faster. Not to worry, Im going to fly this second half!

We get back to Place de la Bastille at 14m and head down to the river for a significant 5 mile stratch along the Seine. Downhill and right and the back of notre Dame is in view. Lovely! Surprised by a slight headwind but it is just a vague breeze off river and is hugely advantageous for keeping us cool. People a thousand of miles away in Connemara would have killed for that cool breeze Im sure.
    Running with good rythm still and still pasing. Deciding whether to up it at 16 or not. I remember a piece of advice I got from a friend who advised me to keep cool till 2 hrs and give it anything and everything Ive got after. That fits the bill for todays race I think (hope).

We enter a short tunnel and climb steeply out of it. DemCU(Thanks a million) has warned me about these so I ease the climbs. There will be no change in effort or pulse of lactic going into teh blood till late in the race.
    Down one long tunnel. This is the one where Diana was killed and it is a k and a half long. We emerge opposite Dorsay museum beside Louvre. Concorde visible ahead, and Eiffel Tower around the corner. Another tunnel between Concored and Eiffel and Km 28 and I am starting to feel slightly fatigued in my legs. My ave pace is 3.49 at this stage. I have strong legs from all the training so it’s not an issue yet but I know that keeping the pace will now start to be progressively harder. No problem Im nearly there em only 8 to go... oops.

I know in my heart I won’t run out of glycogen. Ive eaten enough pasta and drank enough water in the past 3 days for 3 people but my legs which finished all my long runs slowly and complaining were feeling heavy. Courage! someone shouted to us.
    I concentrated on my form still passing people still keeping up the pace. 30k water, had a gel and accelerated out back to my pace. My garmin tells me now that I had averaged 6:04 pace for the previous 20 mile but mile 21 was the last of these.
    (Actually around mile 19 my perception had changed. I started to feel slightly one tracked not as alert to surroundings and I supposed resigned to the inevitability of growing tiredness of pain. From a perception point of view things went slightly pear shaped. Maybe this is a common marathon phenomenum)

Anyway mile 21 and Im in the Bois de Bologne Park. Its windy its a bit hilly, there are long boulevards turning back on themselves for no other reason than to drag an extra few Kms of pain out of us.....Im in trouble.
    I try and stay relaxed and concentrate on my form but this is hurting and my pace has slowed. Another couple of Ks down the road and although my pace has slowed it is still under 6.30 miles due to the rythm that is now natural from the P + D longer runs. 2K to go and I can feel the end. One to go and a big crowd but looking at my watch I realise I have drifted and the 2.45 is now in doubt. I push for the line and finally decide on increasing legturnover as a means to offset tired legs rather than pushing dead legs harder. It works. I turn corner to avenue Foch, theres the Arc de Triomphe again. Finish with 12 seconds to spare under the 2.45. Phew! What a relief to have stopped running.
    Chat to a few lads as we make our way to the massage tent. Not actually able to bend to take off my runners for the massage, needed help. Changed and off to cheer on my GF who is still running the course. She has been hurting since 15k but shows great spirit at 35k to comment she thought I was John Wayne due to funny walk. She battles on and completes the race. 27k of pain! Thats tough!

The last few weeks before the race I swore I would never run another marathon. Will I do another? Just entered one. Roll on Berlin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

well done again on a great run.

I think finishing a marathon is like loosing a piece of yourself, the desire to replace it with something else (i.e another marathon) always happens to me. The amount of times I've entered a marathon the week after finishing one is quite high.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Brilliant stuff. Loved the geographic tour as well as the race account! I wondered if you would be back for more after that one. Should bump into you in the starting pen in Berlin (but not for long!). It's tough trying to interpret what the GPS is telling you into real
    numbers. If you want accuracy, you really have to go with a pace band. Hope you stick with the log. It's been a great read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

A fantastic run and a great report, you capture the psychological and physical change from mile 20 - 22 and then to finish perfectly. great stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 belfastbelle

"I realise Ive lost 3 gels! Ive no excuse the gels were packed upside down in the belt when I bought them but my girlfriend had pointed this out that morning..."

"..Changed and off to cheer on my GF who is still running the course. She has been hurting since 15k but shows great spirit at 35k to comment she thought I was John Wayne due to funny walk. She battles on and completes the race. 27k of pain! Thats tough!"

Now, that's one smart, tough girlfriend you have there!!;)

Just saw a post from Village_runner that they expect Berlin entry to be closed after the weekend due to being fully subscribed. So if you were planning on going over with anyone, and they haven't signed up yet, better get them to do it this weekend!

Just saw a post from Village_runner that they expect Berlin entry to be closed after the weekend due to being fully subscribed. So if you were planning on going over with anyone, and they haven't signed up yet, better get them to do it this weekend!

Thanks, have sent the HTFU text.

Brilliant stuff. Loved the geographic tour as well as the race account! I wondered if you would be back for more after that one. Should bump into you in the starting pen in Berlin (but not for long!). It's tough trying to interpret what the GPS is telling you into real
    numbers. If you want accuracy, you really have to go with a pace band. Hope you stick with the log. It's been a great read.

Well have similar targets Id say. Im training for Carrauntoohil and warriors run first. Will be doing some weekend hill-training (long runs) when I recover for climbing endurance. I think I remember you saying somewhere that you were hoping to practice the uphill stuff so your welcome to come along to try it out. Usually do about 3 climbs ay about 70% race effort (very slow) keeping relaxed and just trying to keep running as high as possible up the hill. Regroup, down we go and onto the next one. Usually train around Powerscourt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

A great read about a great run. Its terrific to see you running with the full confidence of the hard training you've done and having the mental toughness to come through to meet your goals. See you (from the rear distance !!) on the hills.

• Advertisement

Sat 18/4/2010

7.5 easy in the Park.

Lovely day for a run. Have to hold my pace back to easy on a few occasions which is a good sign.

Sun 18/4/2010

11 miles easy.

Along clontarf seafront and around Bull Island. The marum grass and grass in the interior of the island from the Causeway towards Sutton has been burned away. Looks strange.

995 miles for the year. Should complete tommorrow although Condo131 might pip me at post for 1st spot. Have a very sore shin and still tired from race so Ill do little running for a few days after tommorrow.

Nice one hitting the 1000 miles. Now.. back to the hills with you.

Ok back to the log

Tuesday 20/4/2010

6.5 easy hobble

Sunday 25/4/2010

7.35 miles briskish inc 8 by 80-90 metres. ave (6.53) pace

Possible races below inc 4-5 target races:

Plan is to build strenght
    (hill races, core, plyometrics,) and
    speed (sessions, track races) then moving into a marathon buildup (maintaining hill radiness for warriors run) and trying to set a really good marathon marker for myself in Berlin.

Date |Race |Description
    1st May|Croagh Patrick| descending practice and may need to complete IC
    5th May|Graded| Track
    19th May|Graded| Track
    2nd June|Graded| Track
    6th June|Carrauntoohil| 90 minute-difficult mountain race-Target Race
    7th July|Graded| Track
    19th June|Dublin County 5000m| Track race
    23nd June|Graded| Track
    26nd June|Dunshaughlin| 10k: PB attempt
    3rd July|Lug| 1 hour mountain race
    21th July|Graded| Track
    1st August|Galtymore| 90 minute-difficult mountain race
    4th August|Graded| Track
    14 August|Claregalway 10k|Road: Warriors Run prep
    28 August|Warriors run|15k road and Hill Major Target Race
    26 Sept |Berlin Marathon|26.2 Primary Target Race

Any feedback appreciated

Good to see you back on the hills. I'll see you at the end at Croagh Patrick on Saturday, hopefully in one piece. But we'll recover (:)) to be on the start line for Ben gorm the next day.

You missed a classic yesterday btw.

Tonagalee and the Lake. Quick browse over the results yesterday. Was it a good course?...trackless wilderness? Brian Furey is going great. Peter is improving ominously. How did you go?

Peter tells me the downhill on Ben Gorm may be burned in the recent connemara fires.

Hopefully have a video cam this year. A few classic finishes. Twomey versus Hennigan was unbelievable. Hennigan ran 45 in CP the day before and he was a third of the way down the hill when Twomey came over the top. They both fell over 10 times including into a huge hole near the end. Twomey won and did an arms out finger wagging circling swoop a few times around the finish area (myself and girlfriend with pen and paper). I wish i had a video camera for it. Ill probably never see the likes again.

T&tL was brill. Whatever about the great route we're unlikely to get the same ingredients of a good day and a dry few weeks leading up to it, so the time that won it should be tough to beat. I ran (and walked) steady enough and was happy with 6th. Climbs were a killer... Good practice for next weekend I suppose. I was in the Ben Gorm race you mention but way back from the fast finish. If the lie of the land is comparatively dry it will be weird as its always been wet and boggy there in recent years.

Hi All

OK. Reving this for Rotterdam marathon. Will be training using the ideas of Renato Canova as discussed on the main forum.

I wont give any predictions yet.

The fundamnetal phase has gone so and so. It has been successful to getting me to this stage where mileage will max. Ill be doing a few XC races now to further develop my Anaerobic Threshold and will start to do some special sessions (big sessions at 10 mile to HM race pace) to get me ready for the big specific sessions starting about 10 weeks out from race day.

Types of sessions done have been progression runs, some tempos and some inytrevals. A good lot of moderate paced aerobic running but a little too much easy stuff.

Have to go will fill in more later. Any questions ask away.

Today so far: 65 mins on threadmill including roughly 20 by 225 metres at mile pace or slighly faster. Needed to work on running form as the bigger sessions and some races loom nearer. Also Core work 10 mins.

Good to see the log back. Any idea of where you are right now (e.g. 5k/10k times?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

+1 Great to see this log revived will be great to see how the Canova approach works for you and your experiences along the way. You already been racking up some solid miles from what I can see in the 1000 mile challenge

Good to see the log back. Any idea of where you are right now (e.g. 5k/10k times?)

If i raced 5k/10k right now id be looking for 15:50/33:20 although thats easier said than done (have never done it). I may run Raheny to get a bench mark as i need one. Problem is Howth IMRA is week before Raheny 5 and national intermediates a week after. Nat Int is a target, Howth is a treat for the hard training. Maybe the Winter League 3 miler next week in raheny might do the trick. Ill know when i start doing the bigger sessions what ill be capable of. If i get to a few club marathon sessions i can benchmark off some of the other runners.

ecoli wrote: »
    +1 Great to see this log revived will be great to see how the Canova approach works for you and your experiences along the way. You already been racking up some solid miles from what I can see in the 1000 mile challenge
    Last week was 160k this week will be similar. Off work till tuesday so making some hay. My specific stage will be a toned down version of Canovas program for an elite female marathoner. The actual phase might be shorter depending on what lenght i can sustain. The fundamental, P and D style long run will be prevalent also as a banker. Hopefully will do 130-140 k typically for the special phase with 25-35% or so at or around M pace.

4/1/12

P.M. Raheny loop 13.5k 54 mins 4 m/km Moderate effort.

Ran with a gale behind out the coast. Turned for shelter at Bull Island causeway up and around St Annes perimeter following the main road back down into Fairview and on to Ballyb. Felt a bit tough.

5/1/2012

AM recovery effort around DCU loop. 10.5k 49 mins

PM Hilly Progression run: WU then 3 road laps around the exterior or Killiney?Dalkey hill.

Lap lenght: 4.72k

Lap 1: 20:24 4:19 pace
    Lap 2: 18:52 4:00 pace
    Lap 3: 17:47 3:46 pace

Total distance 16k ish in 68 mins

Enjoyable run. Decided on clockwise loop to get better coastal view. In hindsight the other direction is better for training (steep ascent, gradual runnable descent rather than gradual ascent, steep descent wheer you have to hold back). Worked well tonight and happy to get it in. Hero of the night was my car which miraculously passed her NCT. Woohoo! My natural reaction was to ape Gene Wilders reaction when he and Richard Prior got sentenced to 150 years in Stir Crazy!!!!! I saved it for when i was alone with the car.

The 200 reps have worked well in that my form and speed have been given a nice kick. I was walking up very stiff (around ankles) and feeling slow starting each run until that one. Will do every 2 weeks in conjunction with strides. A little Yoga is in order too. Have to be diligent with this from now on as body maintenance is crucial with the high mileage im on. Easy to run comfortably through it with descent form: pointless to limp and stagger through it.

Both achilles are tender but any work done means excuciating pain.....
    The windy weather has me thinking about route choices: picking routes that offer shelter against the wind etc. Driving home at 11pm i admired again the great stretch of new tarmac on the merrion road with little traffic around. It occured to me that this might be a perfect stretch for marathon specific work. Early Sunday mornings would see this stretch de facto deserted and it looks to be 4k at a guess. Should resemble Rotterdam, or close enough.

6/1/2012

Early PM

Easy 8km about 4:30 pace

Later PM

4.5 km very easy. May race BHAA xc tommorrow. Throat slighly sore so wont take any chances if its not right in the morning. Either way an easy day was called for.

Sunday will be time to restart my long run within 20-10% of current race fitness. Ill need these in the bag: they keep this phase more specific to the marathon and if i dont get some in i am leaving myself with too much to do.

2hr 15 on sunday all going well.

7/1/2012

Plan for the BHAA 4 mile in Tymon was scuppered by the hero come villain car who relinquished cooperation on route to race. Car put back in line, and plan changed to an alternations session in the Phoenix park several hours later. TBH, the thoughts of a 16k session on my own around a windy and deserted (so sick of wind! shaking my fist at it sick now) polo grounds appealed not. Mentally and physically an easy day was needed. I know from experience now that high mileage is a tight rope. When youve a little time on your side before the goal its ok to avoid a risky hazard. Today was one of those days. 18k easy instead and a relaxing evening in store.

Tommorrow will be a Canova fundamental (similar to P + D) long run of circa 2.15. Will start early, conservative but finish fast i hope. If it goes well ill be happy that im heading back on track from my meander long run wise. Slightly lower volume next week.
    Hope to hit one solid LT session/race per week now for next 3-4 weeks.

Plan will roughly use the follows for next few weeks:

Long runs at 20-10 % of current race fitness: one every 7-10 days.

Progression: 2:15, 2:30
    Long runs at easy pace: a couple up to 2:45 hrs.

Medium long runs: 90 mins plus 20-10 % of current race fitness. 1 per week at least.

short LT sessions: race, club pace run, Fast prgression runs, 10 by 1k at 10k pace. once per week

Longer LT sessions: Long progression/tempo run (up to 1 hr). Club marathon session: 6-10 by 2k at LT-HM pace off 2 mins.

Moderate runs at 110% of current race fitness. 50 mins - 70 mins. For developing further lipid consumption of fuel (glycogen+Fat).

At the end of this LT should be very well developed and the week will be more modularised having a more hard/easy day look to it. Individual runs should be longer. Kilometerage wont go down yet. Next 3 weeks may be 145k, 160k, 170k. 170k will be the max for this marathon.

I have been building since september to be able to handle the workload necessary for some of the tough specific sessions before the race. Its a slow buildup with still 14 weeks to race day.

How i fare in the upcoming step down week will determine how i can proceed from here. If i can handle a recovery week of highish volume, i will be able for relatively tough specific sessions i feel. If i dont recover sufficianly, then by necessity the special/specific phase must be shortened and a schedule based on fast Long and ML runs must more slowly lead me to the specific phase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Sounds like you've a great plan and have done the background training to see it through. Have any of your training partners followed similar schedules recently or is it something you are experimenting with yourself? If all goes to plan training wise and race wise what time would you be happy with? I know there are a lot of variables to consider but assuming everything goes to plan.

Actually just read above and seen you don't want to give a prediction. What marathon are you running, is is Rotterdam?

Sounds like you've a great plan and have done the background training to see it through. Have any of your training partners followed similar schedules recently or is it something you are experimenting with yourself? If all goes to plan training wise and race wise what time would you be happy with? I know there are a lot of variables to consider but assuming everything goes to plan.

Actually just read above and seen you don't want to give a prediction. What marathon are you running, is is Rotterdam?

Hi roadrunner

I'm experimenting. I will adjust if things aren't working though. No training partners at present due to doing a lot of training via commute with young baby in the house. Bur as I read you pointing out on anothr thread this can help with the time management. The range would be between 2.30 and 2.40. Nothing in my history suggests I will get close to 2.30 but I'm hoping for a breakthrough. I'm realising that to stay improving until the race I'll have to keep things very aerobic. I won't be able to bang out 10 weeks of bi-weekly huge sessions but maybe 5-6. If I matched you're time tbh I'd be more than delighted. I will have to cover all the bases. Core, stretching, nutrition ( sore throat as I type).
    The way I see it I need to get my LT right in the next 4 weeks. Need to get more resistance through long fast runs. When I'm happy strong running long and moderately I can start doing the big sessions.

I also talk a good game to compensate for when I'm worried. I'm worried about having to nail long p and d runs and LT runs in the next few weeks. Out for long run now. I'll run by feel today but 2.15 hopefully.

I'll check your log later but are you going for a similar build up to Berlin, it will be shorter though I know?

8/1/2012

32.75 k in 2:13:43 4:05km pace.

Toughest run of the campaign by a long way. Didnt feel 100%. Left the uncharged Garmin at home.

Run was 3.5 km BallyB along Nth Circular to Blackhorse ave. 3:53 pace
    2 complete external loops of Phoenix park 12.9k each. 3:52, and 4:08 pace.
    3.5km back. 4:20 pace

All over the shop. Had no idea i was running so fast going out. Weakened considerably on the second lap. Kept most of the cadence for the remainder although i slowed. I was sure the average would be around the 4:30-40. Was genuinely shocked and pleased to see it faster. Not a well executed run but im happier with where im at. I think accurate pace monitoring is important for these longer runs. Garmin will be charged next time!

• Advertisement

Nice running T. Sick of the wind this week here too. Had to swap in a few treadmill runs rather than risk the wrath of the gales.

Advertisement