Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

@theboyblunder: I'm trying to fix my calf's, not make a tossed salad. :) I generally give them a run with some Arnica (natural anti-inflammatory).[/QUOTE]

hahahaha. Im cheap. Olive oil worked for me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Krusty I had a sports massage a couple of weeks ago and she highly recommended epsom salts baths for loosening up tight muscles. I have no idea if it was the massage or the bath or a combination of both (plus icing a lot) that did the trick but I was right as rain in a couple of days having been in a lot of pain since Craughwell. It could be hocus pocus but it can't do you any harm.

How's Mrs KC's training going? More importantly will she beat you ?:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

littlebug wrote: »
    Krusty I had a sports massage a couple of weeks ago and she highly recommended epsom salts baths for loosening up tight muscles. I have no idea if it was the massage or the bath or a combination of both (plus icing a lot) that did the trick but I was right as rain in a couple of days having been in a lot of pain since Craughwell. It could be hocus pocus but it can't do you any harm.

How's Mrs KC's training going? More importantly will she beat you ?:cool:
    Thanks, will give it a go. I'll try any hocus pocus going! I think at this stage, she'll definitely beat me (unless I can weigh her down with heaps of chocolate). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Lifestyle in Carrickmines have heel wedges can't remember the brand - but Elvery's normally carry the sorbothane range, I've a couple of pairs that I use to extend the life on my runners and sometimes in flats.

Today: 7 Mile run around Fassaroe
    Nice short run on a route that I hadn't really considered doing before, but sort of fell into it, instead of setting out to do it. The calf muscles felt a good bit better. Plan was to hit the park and wear an old pair of runners on the wet and muddy grass, but whenever I set off, you just can't gamble on where I'm going to end up. Calfs (calves?) tightened up towards the end (should have stuck to the grass, or worn a newer pair of running shoes), so into the bath, with the epsom salts, arnica, olive oil, ice and foam roller. The ice melted in the hot water, but I added a dash of balsamic vinegar, and it was delicious <confused>.

So will continue to run just every second day, and keep the mileage low. No point in trying to start training for the ultra at this late stage (that's my new mantra). Will try to pick up heel wedges tomorrow.

Summary: 7 miles in 52 mins, @7:28/mile, HR=14x (HRM was stupidly wrong for the first mile)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hope the calves ease out for you. Lots and lots and lots of stretching. Dropping the calves off the stairs is a great stretch works great for me the odd time I can be bothered with that stretching malarky.

I take it you're still planning on running next week?

Hope the calves ease out for you. Lots and lots and lots of stretching. Dropping the calves off the stairs is a great stretch works great for me the odd time I can be bothered with that stretching malarky.

I take it you're still planning on running next week?
    Oh yes, indubitably (my word for the day). It's not an injury (yet), just a tiredness/tightness. If I can just stay sensible for the next 8 days I should be fine. What happens after the race starts is in the hands of vishnu (my god for the day).

Today: Nice 10k around Roscommon Town
    Nice to hit the country roads for a change, and always a pleasure to run around the grounds of Roscommon Castle. Took it handy (but with half a mind to get back in time for Chelsea / Utd.), so was surprised to look at the splits after I got home, and see a couple of recent marathon pace mile in there.

Slightly longer run tomorrow around Moate Park, or maybe I'll stretch as far as Lough Key.

Summary: 6.2 miles in 44 mins, @7/mile, HR=142

Today: 13 most excellent miles
    I was forced into enjoying a few pints in the best smallest pub in the country, which only opens at 11:30pm, and starts to get busy at around 12:30am, so with a slight hangover, I decided 7:30 pace would be a suitable target. Total Fail. I managed one mile at 7:30, and the rest were all around 7:10/mile, or quicker. But still, an enjoyable run. I picked up some heel wedges (like these ones) and wore them for the 13 miles. Not sure if they helped, but when I slwoed down I could feel a new pain in my spine. :eek: They're comfy enough for walking around in anyway.

This is a fantastic place to run (once you get outside the town). Trees, ferns and mosses so green, they look like they're emitting light. Black faced baby lambs that are so new to this world that they take a few tentative steps towards you, before nervous mothers corral them away. Ancient ornate stone buildings, gates, bridges and watermills that once served only the landed gentry, now reduced to serving hungry cattle. A photographers paradise. Little wonder I couldn't keen a watchful eye on my pace.

Calf muscles still bunching badly, so I'll try and take two days off.
    Summary: 13 miles in 1:33, @7:10/mile, HR=141

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Can't beat a hung-over too-fast-pace aesthete for prose. Sir, I salute you, while remaining envious of your pace and verboseness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

I picked up some heel wedges (like these ones) and wore them for the 13 miles. Not sure if they helped, but when I slwoed down I could feel a new pain in my spine. :eek: They're comfy enough for walking around in anyway.
    ......Calf muscles still bunching badly, so I'll try and take two days off.
    Summary: 13 miles in 1:33, @7:10/mile, HR=141

Hi Krusty, Wedges should allow you to run while taking some pressure off the calves. If theyre not working or are causing pain somewhere else then play safe. Ive used them for sore calves and plantar on a few occasions. Usually for a week or so to allow the problem to heal. Hope the day or two rest helps them.

T runner wrote: »
    Hi Krusty, Wedges should allow you to run while taking some pressure off the calves. If theyre not working or are causing pain somewhere else then play safe. Ive used them for sore calves and plantar on a few occasions. Usually for a week or so to allow the problem to heal. Hope the day or two rest helps them.
    They're actually handy enough for walking, and the calf muscles are definitely on the mend, so all good. I'll avoid the wedges while running, though they were comfortable enough (apart from the few twinges, which are more likely due to dodgy sleeping conditions). Hope the last few days of taper are going ok. Looks like there'll be a lot of people running on Sunday, between Connemara, Rotterdam and Paris.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Look after yourself. Short, easy runs are all you need now. Lots of stretching and foam rolling.

Edit: Scared yet? :pac:

Thanks! Scared? Never. If you anticipate the worst that can happen, then you can only fulfill your worst expectations!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Woundedknee.

All the best for Sunday KC, looking forward to hearing how you get on.

Thanks woundedknee.. Sure even if it takes me 6 hours, it's still only a quarter of what you have ahead of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

Krusty - don't be fooled by these international 24 hour guys - its all hotels, quality facilities, support crews and like Sumo wrestles, they have guys to wipe their ar$e$. What you will do next Sunday will be a lot more difficult.

To be honest, i'm just a little surprised that he can't finish it a little quicker, like in 23 hours or something. :D

Today: 10.5 miles on the bike
    On Sunday, I instructed the OH to ban me from running for two days, so that my calf muscles would recover. Of course as soon as the first 12 hours had passed, I was gagging to hit the road for a few miles. Much as I cajoled and pleaded, she wouldn't let me put on the running shoes. So that was it. Nothing for it but to hop on the bike and get my outdoor fix on two wheels. A nice easy 10.5 miles, that was easy on the calf. I took off the clipless pedals, just in case. I'd hate to have a fall 5 days before Connemara. Lovely evening for a spin on the bike, and for the first time in around 10 trips, I didn't get a puncture. Chain/gears are still slipping under any kind of pressure, which is a bit annoying (anyone have a troubleshooting guide?).

Summary: 10.5 mile cycle, in 44 mins (lots of traffic lights) HR=125

Then I went out for a sneaky 2 miles, just to lengthen my stride, after the cycle (really, just cos I'm stubborn, and don't possess any sense).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

best of luck on sunday krusty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi Krusty,

Best of luck on Sunday!

Well done on the hill race too - great pics! You looked to be running very smoothly. (i.e. not a broken hobbit in sight!)

Looking forward to another great race report.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Best of the luck the w/e Krusty...remember its 39.3 not the handy 26.2 you have recently battered into submission...enjoy
    Looking forward to your race report.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

best of luck krusty hope the calf(s) is/are okay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

yep. good luck .

Jaysus lads, don't be wishing me the best of luck. Sure I'm only doing it for a bit of fun. I'm only tootling around the course, unlike others around here who have real goals for their respective races and have put in real training. Barcelona was for real. This one's just for the doss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Still though its your first ultra right? and a long way. Best of luck and enjoy it!

Thanks! Last time I felt this un-prepared, I was sitting down to the physics paper in the leaving certificate. :)

Tonight: 7 Miles at race pace
    7 Comfortable miles at the pace I plan to set off on, on Sunday, so around 7:30/mile. Felt comfortable enough, despite twinges from the right calf, which is going to be my achilles heel for the day. I've a feeling I might find myself in Leenane, at around 12:30pm, looking for a taxi back to Clifden. But you just don't know until you try and I'm looking forward to giving it a try. Not much running left.

Summary: 7 miles in 52 mins, @7:26/mile, HR=141

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat i gConnemara.

Didn't even have to get the dictionary out for that. So it's probably wrong!

The best of luck on Sunday and enjoy!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

claralara wrote: »
    Go n-éirí an bóthar leat i gConnemara.
    The road will certainly be rising in front of him for the final section in Connemara.

Advertisement