Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israeli apartheid

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Presumably these three reports are some ones bias and imagination as well.

The international Red Cross has privately accused Israel of reshaping Jerusalem to further its own interests, in violation of international law
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6658799.stm

A confidential report written for European Union foreign ministers has criticised Israel's policy on East Jerusalem, newspaper reports say.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4470118.stm

A confidential EU report accuses the Israeli government of using settlement expansion, house demolitions, discriminatory housing policies and the West Bank barrier as a way of "actively pursuing the illegal annexation" of East Jerusalem.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/mar/07/israel-palestine-eu-report-jerusalem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

^^
    Whats with all the privately and confidentially? Pussies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

anymore wrote: »
    Thank you for that. Clearly all citizens of israel shoul havethe right to buy land in East Jerusalem and not just rent it.. The sooner East Jerusalem is fully integrated into the rest of Jerusalem, the better for all. Though it is reassuring to see Ethnic palestinians seeking to rent property there. Presumably if they had ideological objections, they wouldnt be seeking the right to buy off of the State of Israel. :rolleyes:
    Long live the free market !
    Well I think there is little to argue about here. You have shown what you would like to happen even though this is rejected by every single country in the world. Your views fall at the extremist end of the spectrum in relation to this issue and you have shown your absolute disregard for international law. From what you have stated here I wouls assume that you also approve of the Chinese occupation of Tibet, the Russia's policy in Chechnya and all of the other cases that you have cited.

I really don't think there's any point in arguing with you anymore given your disregard of the universal international consensus and total disregard for international law. However, regarding housing and planning in East Jerusalem I would urge you to read this report from UNOCHA. I'm not sure if this is an acceptable source for you and I'm sure it won't change your mind but it might help inform your arguements which seem to lack any form of informed opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

The Saint wrote: »
    Well I think there is little to argue about here. You have shown what you would like to happen even though this is rejected by every single country in the world. Your views fall at the extremist end of the spectrum in relation to this issue and you have shown your absolute disregard for international law. From what you have stated here I wouls assume that you also approve of the Chinese occupation of Tibet, the Russia's policy in Chechnya and all of the other cases that you have cited.

I really don't think there's any point in arguing with you anymore given your disregard of the universal international consensus and total disregard for international law. However, regarding housing and planning in East Jerusalem I would urge you to read this report from UNOCHA. I'm not sure if this is an acceptable source for you and I'm sure it won't change your mind but it might help inform your arguements which seem to lack any form of informed opinion.

Why not integrate East Jerusalem into Jerusalem at this stage ?
    What are the alternatives ? Palestine no longer exists ! We now have, for want of better descriptions, Hamasland and Fatahland. The former is dedicated to wiping Israel out totally and I am not too sure what the other stands for. If many of the posters here are to believed, their aim is to liquidate Hamas.
    So what is to be done with East Jerusalem. Have a shoot out to decide who controls ? Toss a coin or maybe divide East Jerusalem in two and give a portion to each of the warring factions ?
    Or maybe commission a report from the UN, the Red Cross or any of the other agencies who are active there.
    You people are great for criticising others but very slow to recognise reality.

Nodin wrote: »
    Presumably these three reports are some ones bias and imagination as well.

The international Red Cross has privately accused Israel of reshaping Jerusalem to further its own interests, in violation of international law
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6658799.stm

A confidential report written for European Union foreign ministers has criticised Israel's policy on East Jerusalem, newspaper reports say.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4470118.stm

A confidential EU report accuses the Israeli government of using settlement expansion, house demolitions, discriminatory housing policies and the West Bank barrier as a way of "actively pursuing the illegal annexation" of East Jerusalem.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/mar/07/israel-palestine-eu-report-jerusalem

Is this the same EU which has a member the UK, the country who operating with the US has killed over 100 totally innocent afghan/Pakistani civilians by means of unmanned Predator launched rockets in the first three months of this year alone ? The same UK which supplied bilogical materials to Saddam which used in manufacturing the poison gases used against innocent civilians ? The same EU which includes Germany whose industrial firms supplied strategic materials to the same Saddam ?

It is ? Yeah their confidential reports are really impressive !

• Advertisement

wes wrote: »
    Yes, your right, they are biased towards peace. Still, everything they say is true in this instance, and imho what Israel does in Jerusalem is indefensible and is further evidence of the existence of apartheid.

As I have repeatedly said, by the standards of the region, Israeli apartheid, is quite unremarkable. I am happy to condemn all apartheid in the region, are you ?
    By the way,is it still a crime to own a bible in Saudi Arabia ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Is this the same EU which has a member the UK, the country who operating with the US has killed over 100 totally innocent afghan/Pakistani civilians by means of unmanned Predator launched rockets in the first three months of this year alone ? The same UK which supplied bilogical materials to Saddam which used in manufacturing the poison gases used against innocent civilians ? The same EU which includes Germany whose industrial firms supplied strategic materials to the same Saddam ?

Again trying to derail the thread

What did the evil Red Cross do? You left them out there.

....because the people there don't want to be in an Israeli state. Seeing how they've been treated, thats not that suprising either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

As I have repeatedly said, by the standards of the region, Israeli apartheid, is quite unremarkable. I am happy to condemn all apartheid in the region, are you ?

You have made it very clear that you support Israels violation of International law, so your condemnation would ring rather hollow.

Secondly, still trying to derail the thread I see.

Finally, once again ignoring points brought up as per usual, and respond with predictable whataboutery.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    ....because the people there don't want to be in an Israeli state. Seeing how they've been treated, thats not that suprising either.
    So where do they go ?
    Into a 'state' controlled by hamas or the one controlled by Fatah ?

So where do they go ?

As its linked to the West Bank, its fairly obvious.

Why didn't you address the Red Cross report I linked? You yourself stated
    Toss a coin or maybe divide East Jerusalem in two and give a portion to each of the warring factions ?
    Or maybe commission a report from the UN, the Red Cross or any of the other agencies who are active there.

So where do they go ?
    It is clear that before the foundation of a Palestinian state there will need to reconcilliation between the two regimes in Gaza and the West Bank and democratic elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Definitions of unremarkable on the Web:

* everyday: found in the ordinary course of events; "a placid everyday scene"; "it was a routine day"; "there's nothing quite like a real... ...
    wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

You think Israeli apartheid is a placid everyday scene?

You are happy to condem aparthied yet you support israels actions, ie aparthied.

Reading your comments through this thread discusts me, how would you feel about someone comparing you to a person justifying the nazis actions during ww2?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Irlandese

karma_ wrote: »
    Are both Jews and the Palestinians not semitic peoples? I would imagine both have been there as long as each other.
    Actually, all palestinians are semites but the majority of Israelis are european and soviet bloc non-semite immigrants.
    It is important in as far as undermining the appalling con-job practiced by Zionists who routinely mask racist zionist policies by labelling anyone calling for an honest review as an anti-semite. It is a useful piece of untruthful propoganda that too many people allow to go un-challenged.

What are the alternatives ? Palestine no longer exists ! We now have, for want of better descriptions, Hamasland and Fatahland. The former is dedicated to wiping Israel out totally and I am not too sure what the other stands for. If many of the posters here are to believed, their aim is to liquidate Hamas.
    So what is to be done with East Jerusalem. Have a shoot out to decide who controls ? Toss a coin or maybe divide East Jerusalem in two and give a portion to each of the warring factions ?
    So "Palestine" no longer exists? You seem to like this result of the zionist inspired Israeli holocaust being perpetrated on Palestinians without pause, since 1948? Did you also enjoy the four day extermination of thousands of palestinian women, children and elderly, in Sabra and Shatillah refugee camps in Lebanon by Israeli mercenaries using hand grenades and buldozing houses packed with still living victims, while Ariel Sharon got in a little pistol practice on palestinian children? yes, it must really be great sport watching your favourite team of racist war-mongers tackle sling-shots with helicopter gunships. My compliments on your strong stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭cyberhog

Israel is a democracy, non-jews have the vote just the same as jews.
    Israel prevents it's Arab citizens from full participation through a variety of laws and institutions so while Israel may have democratic structures it certainly doesn't have equality for all.
    Here's a short film that captures what it means to be an Arab citizen of Israel --to be "physically present, with rights absent"

http://vimeo.com/user3417283

http://adalah.org/eng/index.php

cyberhog wrote: »
    Israel prevents it's Arab citizens from full participation through a variety of laws and institutions so while Israel may have democratic structures it certainly doesn't have equality for all.
    Here's a short film that captures what it means to be an Arab citizen of Israel --to be "physically present, with rights absent"

http://vimeo.com/user3417283

http://adalah.org/eng/index.php
    Thank you, friend. Viewing both films should be a requirement for participation in debates about Israel and it's treatment of it's arab hostage-semi-citizens.
    For the record, I am in favour of the Israeli peace movement and wish to see a free, independant, democratic and rights respeting Israel living peacefully with it's arab neighbours. I also wish to see a nuclear weapon free middle-east with respect for the rights of all, irrespective of race, religion or sex !
    Yes, I am an idealist and a dreamer.
    But it could happen, if the USA decided to step back from it's un-conditional guarantee to defend all Israeli actions, if Israel and Iran both decided, together, to hand over all nuclear weapons and materials capable of use in nukes to an idependant de-commissioning agency, if Israel stapped back to pre-1967 boidres, if Israel abolished apartheid laws denying arab citizens basic rights and if an international monitoring force went in to all of the territories of Israel and Palestine for an initial period of five years to effect and police the changes.
    Ok, I am as mad as the very very brave Israeli peace activists, who I salute and thank with all my heart for their brave, thankless and largely un-supported work, in the face of the terrible aggression and inhumanity of US-backed settlers and other zionist terrorists.

Irlandese wrote: »
    Thank you, friend. Viewing both films should be a requirement for participation in debates about Israel and it's treatment of it's arab hostage-semi-citizens.
    For the record, I am in favour of the Israeli peace movement and wish to see a free, independant, democratic and rights respeting Israel living peacefully with it's arab neighbours. I also wish to see a nuclear weapon free middle-east with respect for the rights of all, irrespective of race, religion or sex !
    Yes, I am an idealist and a dreamer.
    But it could happen, if the USA decided to step back from it's un-conditional guarantee to defend all Israeli actions, if Israel and Iran both decided, together, to hand over all nuclear weapons and materials capable of use in nukes to an idependant de-commissioning agency, if Israel stapped back to pre-1967 boidres, if Israel abolished apartheid laws denying arab citizens basic rights and if an international monitoring force went in to all of the territories of Israel and Palestine for an initial period of five years to effect and police the changes.
    Ok, I am as mad as the very very brave Israeli peace activists, who I salute and thank with all my heart for their brave, thankless and largely un-supported work, in the face of the terrible aggression and inhumanity of US-backed settlers and other zionist terrorists.

I see that for all your indignation, for all your protests, for all the melodrama in your protests, you seem interested in condemning only one set of terrorists - to use your own words ' I compliment you on your strong stomach.'.
    I condemn all murderers without discriminating between them. And I am not so shy in identfying that the evil of religion fundamentalism is behind much if not most of the blood letting in this part of the world. But of course such as sentiment is " off thread". Indignation is simply self indulgence if one isnt prepared to be detached and look at all the facts.
    I see the brave Hamas fighters have been active again trying to provoke Israel into a response - who will pay for it ? Innocent Palestinians.

I see that for all your indignation, for all your protests, for all the melodrama in your protests, you seem interested in condemning only one set of terrorists - to use your own words ' I compliment you on your strong stomach.'.
    I condemn all murderers without discriminating between them. And I am not so shy in identfying that the evil of religion fundamentalism is behind much if not most of the blood letting in this part of the world. But of course such as sentiment is " off thread". Indignation is simply self indulgence if one isnt prepared to be detached and look at all the facts.
    I see the brave Hamas fighters have been active again trying to provoke Israel into a response - who will pay for it ? Innocent Palestinians.

Hi friend. How do you come up with your assumptions about my views here?
    I am against all religious fundamentalism, catholic, islamic, jewish or whatever and racist fundamentalism like zionism. I tend to believe that as far as most commentators in politics and their servants the main media, a terrorist is normally understood to mean someone with a bomb but without a helicopter gunship.
    The list and perpetrators of deaths caused by state as well as individual group terrorist actions leaves one in no doubt where the major source of innocent deaths comes from, ie the Israeli army and it's paramilitary police and mercenaries. I agree that Hamas have crimes to answer for, but lets get real here. Their crimes are miniscule in relation to the holocaust visited daily on palestinians since the zionist pogroms of 1948 that drove them from their homes in hundreds of thousands.
    Israel is a terrorist state, daily practicing apartheid against it's own arab citizens, starving and brutalising hundreds of thousands of women, children and men in their concentration-camp enclaves on the West Bank and Cisgordania and murdering civil rights activists working to promote civil rights there, on a regular basis. Their murder campaigns against anyone helping palestinians to secure rights or arms to defend themselves is a continuing affront to any civilised society. They should and could stop this now and work for a peaceful solution with their arab neighbours, but never will. Why? Because they are damn good at black propoganda and selling their indefensible side of the story to people like you.
    Join me in studying behind the propoganda and work to support those brave Israeli Peace Activists.

• Advertisement

Hi friend. How do you come up with your assumptions about my views here?
    I am against all religious fundamentalism, catholic, islamic, jewish or whatever and racist fundamentalism like zionism. I tend to believe that as far as most commentators in politics and their servants the main media, a terrorist is normally understood to mean someone with a bomb but without a helicopter gunship.
    The list and perpetrators of deaths caused by state as well as individual group terrorist actions leaves one in no doubt where the major source of innocent deaths comes from, ie the Israeli army and it's paramilitary police and mercenaries. I agree that Hamas have crimes to answer for, but lets get real here. Their crimes are miniscule in relation to the holocaust visited daily on palestinians since the zionist pogroms of 1948 that drove them from their homes in hundreds of thousands.
    Israel is a terrorist state, daily practicing apartheid against it's own arab citizens, starving and brutalising hundreds of thousands of women, children and men in their concentration-camp enclaves on the West Bank and Cisgordania and murdering civil rights activists working to promote civil rights there, on a regular basis. Their murder campaigns against anyone helping palestinians to secure rights or arms to defend themselves is a continuing affront to any civilised society. They should and could stop this now and work for a peaceful solution with their arab neighbours, but never will. Why? Because they are damn good at black propoganda and selling their indefensible side of the story to people like you.
    Join me in studying behind the propoganda and work to support those brave Israeli Peace Activists.

Well my friend I am happy to look behind all propoganda including the " All the evil in the middle east derives from Zionist Israel". Unfortunately there seems to a very strong objection on thases threads to look at anything evil other than Israel. For the record, Sunni and Shiite militias have killed more civilians than Israel ever has.

Well my friend I am happy to look behind all propoganda including the " All the evil in the middle east derives from Zionist Israel". Unfortunately there seems to a very strong objection on thases threads to look at anything evil other than Israel. For the record, Sunni and Shiite militias have killed more civilians than Israel ever has.

Trying to derail the thread again? You see people here want to discuss the topic at hand, and if you really want to discuss your other topic, you would start a thread as opposed to constant attempts at derailment. So why don't you start a new thread then?

Also, I don't remember a single person saying all the evil from the ME is due to Israel, but nice attempt at a straw man there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Then create threads to discuss them the reason people here are discussing Israel, is because that is what this thread is about get it????

What record, friend?
    I have to disappoint you and cite Sabra and Shatilah massacres as just one recent history example of mass genocidal slaughter of thousands of mostly palestinian women, children and elderly in the most bestial way, by Israel's paid mercenaries, the Druze Militia.
    For three days the world's press watched while families were forced into houses, grenades thrown in after them and the houses bulldozed with people crying for aid inside. This happened in Lebanon and prompted a famous Israeli peace activist and poet to write the following haunting words:
    " My mother and father who died in the nazi holocaust were killed again last night in our own".
    Try not to invent or repeat propoganda lies designed to allow that kind of thing to happen, again and again. We have a responsibility to not support racism or genocide, from any quarter. I support peace in the middle-east and justice for all, including, in particular, Israelis. But I denounce genocide and concentration camps and state murder. Oh, sorry, does that make me a terrorist, friend?

I note you seem to be following me across threads a bit and arguing agains my points re the Pope as well. welcome. It is good to see open debate without resorting to putting plastic explosive in the hand-piece of my phone !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭joesoap007

What record, friend?
    I have to disappoint you and cite Sabra and Shatilah massacres as just one recent history example of mass genocidal slaughter of thousands of mostly palestinian women, children and elderly in the most bestial way, by Israel's paid mercenaries, the Druze Militia.
    For three days the world's press watched while families were forced into houses, grenades thrown in after them and the houses bulldozed with people crying for aid inside. This happened in Lebanon and prompted a famous Israeli peace activist and poet to write the following haunting words:
    " My mother and father who died in the nazi holocaust were killed again last night in our own".
    Try not to invent or repeat propoganda lies designed to allow that kind of thing to happen, again and again. We have a responsibility to not support racism or genocide, from any quarter. I support peace in the middle-east and justice for all, including, in particular, Israelis. But I denounce genocide and concentration camps and state murder. Oh, sorry, does that make me a terrorist, friend?

I note you seem to be following me across threads a bit and arguing agains my points re the Pope as well. welcome. It is good to see open debate without resorting to putting plastic explosive in the hand-piece of my phone !

When you say ' recent' I thought you were going to use an example from this century and there are may to choose from.. And correct me if I am wrong, but I thought this massacre was carried out by Lebanonese Christians ? Yes israel did facilitate it :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabra_and_Shatila_massacre

The Sabra and Shatila massacre (Arabic: مذبحة صبرا وشاتيلا‎ Maḏbaḥat Ṣabrā wa Shātīlā) — or Sabra and Chatila massacre — was a massacre of Palestinian and Lebanese Muslim civilians carried out between 16 and 18 September 1982 by the Kataeb Party a ChristianLebanese Forces militia group, following the assassination of Phalangist leader and president-elect Bachir Gemayel. The Israeli Defense Force (IDF), who surrounded Beirut's Palestinian refugee camps after having invaded Lebanon, allowed the Lebanese Forces militia to enter two of these refugee camps, Sabra and Shatila (18px-Erioll_world.svg.png33°51′40.47″N 35°30′01.50″E / 33.8612417°N 35.500417°E / 33.8612417; 35.500417). The exact number killed by the Lebanese Forces militia is disputed, with estimations running from 800 according to international sources to 3,500 according to Palestinian sources (the red cross body count was around 400, but is likely not to include all or even most of the dead bodies).URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"][COLOR=#002bb8]citation needed[/COLOR][/URL
    Regarded as a reprisal for the Damour massacre by IslamicPalestinians & Syrians a few years earlier [2], which personally impacted Elie Hobeika [3]. The view of the Sabra and Shatila killing as a revenge for the Damour massacre was asserted by the prominent writer Samir Khalaf[4], by New York Times writer Thomas Friedman [5] [6], and by author B. Gabriel who wrote that "Palestinian militiamen started the killings in 1975, long before the 1982 Sabra and Shatila massacres. Beit Mellat, Deir Achache, Damour."[7]
    And could you compare the numbers killed in the Lebanin massacre with the number of those slaughtered by the Islamic Shiite and Sunni militias in the last six years in Iraq. Yes I know someone will say ' stick to the thread' but as you raised a massacre in Lebanon in the 20th century, it is fair and relevant to point out the ongoing massacres in Iraq.

I am happy to condemn all massacres regardless of who carried them and regardless of the motivation. As we speak there are Islamic suicicde bombers killing innocents in Moscow so as I suggested at the start, lets not just confine our condemnation to one party.

I am happy to condemn all massacres regardless of who carried them and regardless of the motivation. As we speak there are Islamic suicicde bombers killing innocents in Moscow so as I suggested at the start, lets not just confine our condemnation to one party.

Well, you see the thread title reads: "Israeli Apartheid", so banging on about the recent Moscow Suicide attacks would be off topic, and hence why people aren't talking about it, in this thread, which is about "Israeli Apartheid". The whole whataboutery hasn't worked the many other times you have tried it, I don't see it working this time either.

Sykes wrote: »
    With the exception of 1929-1967, Hebron has had a Jewish presence for centuries/millennia. Long before Islam and long before 'Palestinians' were created.

Hebron was the scene of a massacre of Jews by 'palestinians' in 1929, long before the reestablishment of Israel or any 'occupation'.

Here is the most important part for you and propagandists like you - under the 1997 agreement (the Hebron protocol) with the 'palestinians', Israel would keep a Jewish presence in Hebron.

Perhaps you should devote more time to fact-finding.

This is the crux of the matter, whose claims to East jerusalem should have precedent and what should be the basis of adjudication ?
    And why should anyone tradition have exclusive rights ? On the basis of longevity, then the Jewish ones clearly have precedence.

This is the crux of the matter, whose claims to East jerusalem should have precedent and what should be the basis of adjudication ?
    And why should anyone tradition have exclusive rights ? On the basis of longevity, then the Jewish ones clearly have precedence.
    International law and the international consensus on the resolution of the conflict overwhelming supported every year in the General Assembly should be the basis of adjudication. Also, your logic that the status of land should be determined by longevity doesn't really stand up as if this was applied to all of historic mandate Palestine then most of what is now Israel would be part of a Palestinian state.

• Advertisement

The post you quote talks about Hebron, and not Jerusalem. So I think you conclusion is an interesting one.

Secondly, if you read the numerous replies to that post, you would know that the Palestinian are the indigenous population, who are descended from the various people who lived there. So your whole longevity arguement kind of falls apart, as the Palestinians were there longer, than European colonists. However, that isn't basis for Palestinian claims to East Jerusalem, there claims are based in International law.

Finally, there are various UN resolutions and the International concensus for resolution of the conflict, which all say that East Jerusalem is occupied and belongs to the Palestinians.

Advertisement