Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guards and boy racers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Chief--- wrote: »
    Tell that to people who live in cities. Especially near exit routes of cities where lads tend to floor it...

Even with double glazed windows it will still wake you up.

I live roughly 500 meters from a ring road and every weekend you can hear the boying racer scum flying up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

God i dont know i didnt make the law.

"Loud" after market exhaust do annoy alot of people though.

Even though a standard Ferrari or Harley will probable be a lot louder.

Then again 400 ferraris or harleys dont congregate in tesco car parks and industrial estates late at night near housing estates.

Dermot Ahern is the Minister for Justice if you want him to look and maybe amend the laws give him a bell.

Chief--- out!

A law governing anti social behavior in motor vehicles would be the correct way to go.

This would target only the people that are an actual nuisance on the roads

• Registered Users Posts: 81,698 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

From April 1st the NCT will test cars for noise where they feel it is excessive and if it's recorded over 99db(A) it will be a fail...

http://www.nct.ie/NewInspectionItems.aspx

I look forward to these changes, it doesn't really bother me during the day but at night when your trying to get some sleep that's a different story. It's about time an actual measured fail limit was used and a pass/fail can then be given.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Have all your disks up to date on the window.

Do not have a modified exhaust (or aftermarket exhaust)

Do not fit badly fitted bucket seats or have a badly fitted spoiler.

Do not have wheels that are too big for your arches.

Do not drive unaccompanied if you are a learner.

Follow all of the above and drive normally and you should not see the inside of a district court (as all of the above are illegal)

Hope this helps.

Quoting the above so you don't miss it first time around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

draffodx wrote: »
    I'm too tired to look it up but yes its in Irish law that any modification to a vehicles exhaust system or replacement with a non factory spec one is illegal

Factually incorrect. Little outfit in Germany can help you there: TuV
    Tell that to people who live in cities. Especially near exit routes of cities where lads tend to floor it...

Even with double glazed windows it will still wake you up.
    ...irrelevant. That has nothing to do with the legality, or otherwise, of exhausts. If the exhaust is certified approved, by any accredited body in the EU (e.g.TuV, BS etc), you can use it. Block exemption also protects our rights to NOT use factory parts, if you don't want to.
    yeh its pretty stupid technically replacing a back box at all is illegal unless its the same as it came from the factory :rolleyes:
    That's nothing to with the exhaust and all to do with the way the car is being driven
    Indeed, sometimes it is the driving. But that's not what we're talking about - you're free to fit any number of 'back boxes' that have the appropriate CE marking's on it.
    vectra wrote: »
    Well,
    There goes BOSAL out of business :D
    Ha, good one ! We modify BRAND new exhausts, with Bosal parts, on brand new vehicles, every day.
    SV wrote: »
    I have an after market exhaust fitted to my car, it increases power yet it's quieter than the stock one..

how is that fair?
    So do I.
    God i dont know i didnt make the law.

"Loud" after market exhaust do annoy alot of people though.

Even though a standard Ferrari or Harley will probable be a lot louder.

Then again 400 ferraris or harleys dont congregate in tesco car parks and industrial estates late at night near housing estates.

Dermot Ahern is the Minister for Justice if you want him to look and maybe amend the laws give him a bell.

Chief--- out!
    There is no connection between 'loud' and 'illegal', so separate the two. It is entirely possible to own a legal, yet seemingly 'loud' car. Aston Martin, Maserati, 911. Anyone ? All are fruity under use, too fruity for some, and all are 100% legal. Ditto for any quality after-market system.

My Harley is loud, and 100% legal, and people seem to like it. My Suzuki is 100% legal, not loud, and annoys the **** out of people. Yet the Harley is 'louder' on a dB meter. Why ? Frequency, old bean, frequency. It's not the dB that annoys, it's the frequency. Which is why the NCT sound test is a complete waste of time. Certain cars will pass it with ease, aftermarket pipes and all, be 100% legal, and still annoy citizens who live near ringroads, etc. Others, won't, but their owner's may well be annoyed if they fail this joke of a test. I suspect high rpm capable motors, and Mazda Rotaries will be the surprise winners of that .......

Consider: and this is from memory, so don't shoot me on it just yet, but the EU noise test for cars involves accelerating flat out, in 2nd gear. IOW, engine under load, and the test must be carried out with the meter at.......30m? ...at right angles to the vehicles direction of travel. Loads of ammo there for someone who wants to fight the EU vs Ireland fight on freedom of movement of Goods.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

I drove this for 9 months and never had bother off the Guards, it was fairly loud too. Collecting another car though one day my Dad was following me in the Celica, we were both speeding, he was pulled over, I wasn't. He reckons it was because of the car.

2007_0610Celica_claybarred0010.jpg
    2007_0610Celica_claybarred0008.jpg
    2007_0610Celica_claybarred0004.jpg

Once you have all your discs displayed, have your licence on you and don't drive like a c0ck you should have no probs whatsoever. Every town and city in the country has boy racers spinning about every evening and the Guards don't seem overly interested.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The colour of the car seems to have a major, major impact.

Know someone in NI with my car in white, gets hassle off the PSNI and the Guards when he goes across the border. I have it in anthracite grey, spend a LOT of time in NI, never have hassle off either. I'd suspect it applies even more to Civics and 'tegs tbh.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Insurance for a 17 y.o. on a Civic could be prohibitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Insurance for a 17 y.o. on a Civic could be prohibitive.
    Prohibitive is putting it mildly! 17 yo male on a provisional , no experience, coupled with a Civic? Id say youre looking at north of 2 grand for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

galwaytt wrote: »
    My Harley is loud, and 100% legal, and people seem to like it. My Suzuki is 100% legal, not loud, and annoys the **** out of people. Yet the Harley is 'louder' on a dB meter. Why ? Frequency, old bean, frequency.
    If your Suzuki looked like your Suzuki but sounded like your Harley it'd annoy people. People "like" your Harley... cos it's a Harley!

Similarly people would forgive a Ferarri............ but not a Civic that sounded like one.
    LIGHTNING wrote:
    Ferraris and their supercar like sound fantastic where as the jap tins cans you see been ragged in a industrial estate do not
    QED.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

MYOB wrote: »

Know someone in NI with my car in white, gets hassle off the PSNI and the Guards when he goes across the border. I have it in anthracite grey, spend a LOT of time in NI, never have hassle off either. I'd suspect it applies even more to Civics and 'tegs tbh.

TBF you drive a "sleeper" of sorts. Who would suspect your car?

Civic though, certainly a different box of frogs altogether.

Berty wrote: »
    What is it? A Punto iirc?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Shouldnt this be in the modified motors forum :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I hate them stupid boy racer cars with all that noise and no power i love flooring it behind them and passing them in their sardine tins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Mc Love wrote: »
    Shouldnt this be in the modified motors forum :)

I never said I was modifying it:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

SARASON wrote: »
    I hate them stupid boy racer cars with all that noise and no power i love flooring it behind them and passing them in their sardine tins

And what, pray tell, do you drive?

I think most people are pretty ignorant as to just how fast some of these "boy racer" cars(as they call them) are..

SARASON wrote: »

If you're racing the boy racers that makes you eh... a boy racer!

Bot racers are the type that turn their cars into skangermobiles.

Note: Please see skangermobile thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Bot racers are the type that turn their cars into skangermobiles.

Note: Please see skangermobile thread

Eh no...

People tar anyone with a modified Jap car as boy racers. The majority don't act the maggot, at least not more than anyone else with an unmodified car. Modifying a car does not automatically turn it into a skangermobile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

JHMEG wrote: »
    If you're racing the boy racers that makes you eh... a boy racer!

actually, after seeing his profile I can only assume he drives a passat, probably a tdi considering the attitude so eh..if he's 'flooring it' I can only assume these people he calls 'boy racers' aren't even trying and are too busy laughing at the guy in his passat thinking it's fast :)

• Advertisement

I am all for modding your car but some people to take it to a new level. Modding a 1.1 Corsa to sound like a jet engine isnt good.

If you are a car enthusiast (looks after their car, mods it to make it look better) as opposed to boy racer(does there car up to look like a christmas tree and goes to meets where they do donuts etc etc) then fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭Tefral

Same situation with the Mugen Twinloop exhaust systems for Hondas, they provide some of the best gains you can get yet they have a noise rating that is less than the stock system

Thats what i have on my Teg, it actually is lower than a standard system, but i get more torque.

The law doenst state that your not allowed change the system for an aftermarket one, but the law does state in the construction equipment and use of vehicles act 1963:
    Silencer.
    29. (1) Every vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine shall, subject to the provisions of sub-article (2) of this article, be fitted with an exhaust silencer or other device suitable and sufficient for reducing to a reasonable level the noise caused by the escape of exhaust gases from the engine.
    Heres the part that really determines whether your aftermarket exhaust is illegal:
    (e) every silencer or similar contrivance which is required to be fitted under these Regulations shall be maintained in good and efficient working order and shall not have been altered in such a way that the noise caused by the escape of the exhaust gases is made greater by the alteration;

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

EPM wrote: »
    Eh no...

People tar anyone with a modified Jap car as boy racers. The majority don't act the maggot, at least not more than anyone else with an unmodified car. Modifying a car does not automatically turn it into a skangermobile
    Dead right, I drive the M1 quite a bit and I find the Luxo Barges to speed a lot more than the Jappos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I am all for modding your car but some people to take it to a new level. Modding a 1.1 Corsa to sound like a jet engine isnt good.

If you are a car enthusiast (looks after their car, mods it to make it look better) as opposed to boy racer(does there car up to look like a christmas tree and goes to meets where they do donuts etc etc) then fair play to you.

Corsa's doing donuts?!?

:D:p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

SV wrote: »
    actually, after seeing his profile I can only assume he drives a passat, probably a tdi considering the attitude so eh..if he's 'flooring it' I can only assume these people he calls 'boy racers' aren't even trying and are too busy laughing at the guy in his passat thinking it's fast :)

One time at a set of lights in Dundalk this guy pulled up beside me in a Citroen Berlingo van and next thing he started revving the thing and looking over at me, I just laughed and took off normal while the van went tearing off with the engine screaming.

I laughed at that.

And yet I would be labeled a boy racer simply because of my car :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Berty wrote: »

Civic though, certainly a different box of frogs altogether.

It'd need to be quite a bit faster to be a "sleeper" really! The white ones stick out like a sore thumb though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

It'd need to be quite a bit faster to be a "sleeper" really! The white ones stick out like a sore thumb though.
    I have to give it to the oul Civic Type R's, they ar quick bloody things!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ShiresV2

White is a very popular colour for cars in Japan, isn't it? S'pose it marks white Jap cars here out as an import.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dangerdunf

I have been driving a modified white civic since I was 17. The gaurds never gave me any hassle. As long as you dont hang out the window as your driving along you will be grand. If you do get stopped just chat to the gaurds and they tend to be a lot nicer. I'm now 19 and driving a type r integra and haven't got any hassle at all. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I would say avoid donning a track suit and a backwards peek cap when driving and you'll probably be fine, I had a prelude vtec before with the big alloys and stuff (bought it that way) and was never stopped.

Advertisement