Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guards and boy racers

Options
  • 16-03-2010 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

Firstly, can I just make this clear. I am in no way a boy racer nor do I have a 'done-up' car. I drive a Punto :p

But I have an honest question.

I'm in love with Civic's and have been offered one at a good enough price.

It's not the top end model as in it doesn't stick out when driving.

If I got it and was driving it normally do you think the guards would give me much hassle?

All the stories I hear about these cars is that the guards torment the drivers.

If I have everything up to scratch, do you think the guards will keep pulling me in and stereotyping me because of the car?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Id say they get tormented for legit reasons ie speeding/ dangerous driving..
    although some power mad garda may pull over purely for the sake of it.

I was with a fella who got his type r teg impounded - he had nothing on the windscreen except NCT, (he only had it 1 day so everything was getting sorted)- they were harsh there.

I drove a nice civic and didnt attract attention.

As long as you drive as normal, you would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭evanSpiddal

Which year Civic is it, I have a 2002 3dr model and I never have any hassle with the Guards (20 year old Male). Is there any mods on the car you will be buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

If you have the car in perfect working order and dont drive like a muppet the guards wont be able to give you any hassle when then stop you.

You might get stopped more at checkpoints but you shouldnt let attention from the guards stop you getting the car you really want if you haave nothing to hide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

It's a 99 and don't think it has any mod's on it. Like it's near enough the basic model and doesn't even make that sound when revving if you understand. I won't be doing anything wrong in it just driving correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Not at all, most Gardai know the real story, as long as your mature on the roads, have the car in proper condition with all the paper up to date and you dont act the maggot you'll e fine.

I've been driving an Integra Type R for 2 years now and I've never been stopped or hassled at a check point.

Which version and spec civic is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Doyler92 wrote: »
    If I got it and was driving it normally do you think the guards would give me much hassle?

only if you give them a reason to

draffodx wrote: »
    Not at all, most Gardai know the real story, as long as your mature on the roads, have the car in proper condition with all the paper up to date and you dont act the maggot you'll e fine.

I've been driving an Integra Type R for 2 years now and I've never been stopped or hassled at a check point.

Which version and spec civic is it?

God I couldn't tell you. I'm only 17 (forgot to mention this in first post) but have applied for my full licence. Not the best with the spec's and all just know how to drive correctly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Don't pull out and floor your car when driving away, don't rev your car when waiting at traffic lights, don't drive like a complete idiot and as if your Micheal Schumacher when in fact your a complete novice on the road and should drive with care until you can handle a car.

Stick to that and you'll never be pulled over.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Have all your disks up to date on the window.

Do not have a modified exhaust (or aftermarket exhaust)

Do not fit badly fitted bucket seats or have a badly fitted spoiler.

Do not have wheels that are too big for your arches.

Do not drive unaccompanied if you are a learner.

Follow all of the above and drive normally and you should not see the inside of a district court (as all of the above are illegal)

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Is it a VTEC model? Because its hard not to sound like an agressive Bast*rd when overtaking.

I get pulled over alot in the Integra, they normally just check my tax and insurance, give the licence a check and send me on my way, ive been driving modified cars since im 17, its something im used to.

If the car is white the cops are attracted to it! but any other colour id say youll be grand. lots of my mates have civics and have no hassle.

EDIT: most of the time i dont mind been pulled over because at least the cops see dont see me as a scumbag. To be honest ive gotten pulled over alot more in Dublin than i ever did in Limerick and there is a history of robbed integras in Dublin, so id be glad if they managed to pull over someone in an integra some day and if it was robbed at least someone will get their car back

• Advertisement

Thanks lads.

Was just wanting to clear this up as I hear many different contradicting stories about such cars.

cronin_j wrote: »
    Is it a VTEC model? Because its hard not to sound like an agressive Bast*rd when overtaking.

I get pulled over alot in the Integra, they normally just check my tax and insurance, give the licence a check and send me on my way, ive been driving modified cars since im 17, its something im used to.

If the car is white the cops are attracted to it! but any other colour id say youll be grand. lots of my mates have civics and have no hassle

Do not think it's the VTEC model just the plain, basic civic.

Only problem is not to try get the cash up ASAP.

Do not think it's the VTEC model just the plain, basic civic.

Only problem is not to try get the cash up ASAP.

Ah youll be grand, is it massively modified or just like it came out of the factory?

Thanks lads.

Was just wanting to clear this up as I hear many different contradicting stories about such cars.

I wouldn't be put off by any stereotypes on any car be it a boy racer, hairdressers, girls stereotype, just judge a car on its merits and if its what you want and forget about what people say or think about certain cars

As far as I know it's not modified at all.

Draffodx, I get you, thanks. It's just, as a poster said above, you get the odd guard that has the power and doesn't like these type of cars if you understand.

As far as I know it's not modified at all.

Draffodx, I get you, thanks. It's just, as a poster said above, you get the odd guard that has the power and doesn't like these type of cars if you understand.

Dont get me wrong man, i dont think youll have any trouble in the car at all.

As long as you arent acting the maggot no guard will bother with you! They have their hands full with other crap!

That's what I was thinking myself.

Thanks alot people for the quick replies also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Chief--- wrote: »
    Have all your disks up to date on the window.

Do not have a modified exhaust (or aftermarket exhaust)

Follow all of the above and drive normally and you should not see the inside of a district court (as all of the above are illegal)

Hope this helps.

an aftermarket exhaust is illegal?
    where's the legislation on that one?

SV wrote: »
    an aftermarket exhaust is illegal?
    where's the legislation on that one?

I'm too tired to look it up but yes its in Irish law that any modification to a vehicles exhaust system or replacement with a non factory spec one is illegal

I'm too tired to look it up but yes its in Irish law that any modification to a vehicles exhaust system or replacement with a non factory spec one is illegal

lol..wow, that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard..

• Advertisement

With an extremely limited knowledge to cars, I think you are correct. But I don't know enough to argue the point.

Tell that to people who live in cities. Especially near exit routes of cities where lads tend to floor it...

Even with double glazed windows it will still wake you up.

yeh its pretty stupid technically replacing a back box at all is illegal unless its the same as it came from the factory :rolleyes:
    Tell that to people who live in cities. Especially near exit routes of cities where lads tend to floor it...

That's nothing to with the exhaust and all to do with the way the car is being driven

cronin_j wrote: »

If the car is white the cops are attracted to it! but any other colour id say youll be grand. lots of my mates have civics and have no hassle.

EDIT: most of the time i dont mind been pulled over because at least the cops see dont see me as a scumbag. To be honest ive gotten pulled over alot more in Dublin than i ever did in Limerick and there is a history of robbed integras in Dublin, so id be glad if they managed to pull over someone in an integra some day and if it was robbed at least someone will get their car back

Cops tend to turn out in force when an integra is spotted driving in public!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Well,
    There goes BOSAL out of business :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,340 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Cops tend to turn out in force when an integra is spotted driving in public!!!

Yes but when they simply chase the car in a row of vehicles with zero co-ordinated planning on where to setup a road block ahead of the car despite them having mobile phones, radios and possible air support it makes them look a tad amateur :cool:

Yes but when they simply chase the car in a row of vehicles with zero co-ordinated planning on where to setup a road block ahead of the car despite them having mobile phones, radios and possible air support it makes them look a tad amateur :cool:

Pretty sure that video is a fake :D

I have an after market exhaust fitted to my car, it increases power yet it's quieter than the stock one..

how is that fair?

I have an after market exhaust fitted to my car, it increases power yet it's quieter than the stock one..

how is that fair?

Same situation with the Mugen Twinloop exhaust systems for Hondas, they provide some of the best gains you can get yet they have a noise rating that is less than the stock system

• Advertisement

how is that fair?

God i dont know i didnt make the law.

"Loud" after market exhaust do annoy alot of people though.

Even though a standard Ferrari or Harley will probable be a lot louder.

Then again 400 ferraris or harleys dont congregate in tesco car parks and industrial estates late at night near housing estates.

Dermot Ahern is the Minister for Justice if you want him to look and maybe amend the laws give him a bell.

Chief--- out!

Advertisement