Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joanna Newsom

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've only listened to the album once in it's entirety. I've just focused on Disc 1 which I adore already.

I find it a really nice blend between Y's and MEM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Keep coming back to this, have set my mind on buying the vinyl pack as soon as possible. Spent an hour reading the lyrics while listening to it with friends last night and I honestly think it might be the finest collection of lyrics written in recent memory, probably since Dylan at his peak, better, indeed, in many ways. There are endless examples of sheer poetic ability on all three disks. I think the way she has focused since Ys is astounding, I believe she as stepped up her lyric writing (which have always been fascinating) and brought it to the next level of intensity, craftsmanship and beauty.

Really, I can't gather coherent thoughts on the brilliance of it yet, I need to distance myself a little, I could fly from example to example all night. But I will just finish with one quote, the last four lines on the album, a story told in just those lines. Her ability to capture mood, setting and narrative in so few words really, to me, shows the hand of a master. From Does Not Suffice:

The tap of hangers swaying in the closet--
    unburdened hooks and empty drawers--
    and everywhere I tried to love you
    is yours again, and only yours.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Keep coming back to this, have set my mind on buying the vinyl pack as soon as possible. Spent an hour reading the lyrics while listening to it with friends last night and I honestly think it might be the finest collection of lyrics written in recent memory, probably since Dylan at his peak, better, indeed, in many ways. There are endless examples of sheer poetic ability on all three disks. I think the way she has focused since Ys is astounding, I believe she as stepped up her lyric writing (which have always been fascinating) and brought it to the next level of intensity, craftsmanship and beauty.

Really, I can't gather coherent thoughts on the brilliance of it yet, I need to distance myself a little, I could fly from example to example all night. But I will just finish with one quote, the last four lines on the album, a story told in just those lines. Her ability to capture mood, setting and narrative in so few words really, to me, shows the hand of a master. From Does Not Suffice:

The tap of hangers swaying in the closet--
    unburdened hooks and empty drawers--
    and everywhere I tried to love you
    is yours again, and only yours.

good point on the lyrics i think she has always had a great way with words. (Your skin is something that i stir into my tea / i am blue and unwell stopped me when i heard them first) But this album it's liek she has combined great lyrcs throughout all of her songs making it hard to take single lines as if you do you somehow lose the overall message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭jk86

Great performance of Soft as Chalk on Jimmy Fallon. Love the facial expressions :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV0PfHemuvs

Great performance, the faces are funny alright! Wonder who she was nodding to?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Heh she is totally into that (fantastic) performance alright :) Yet another firm reminder that youtube comments are better left ignored ("she looks and sings like an old lady" - erm.. no).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Rabbit_Heart

Only discovered her recently enough and have to say love her already, Have One On Me is an amazing album so far....

and by the way long time boards lingerer, first time poster so be nice ;)

Only discovered her recently enough and have to say love her already, Have One On Me is an amazing album so far....

and by the way long time boards lingerer, first time poster so be nice ;)

Welcome aboard! your day now has less time in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TwoBirds

Joanna Newsom is great! I discovered her by accident on Jools Holland a few years ago. Don't listen to her often enough, actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

For myself listening to Joanna Newsom's music is notably joyful and affecting. It was kind of funny as a thirty year old buying the new album the soonest instant it was available, having not anticipated music in that way since I was a teenager rushing home to listen to The Bends or Mellon Collie.

I've never used the word genius to describe anyone alive and working except Joanna Newson. I don't know how anyone could listen to Only Skin or Sadie or Monkey & Bear or Easy and not feel something special, real genius going on. She's terribly special.

Personally I tend not to gush basically ever but I don't get why she's not just drowned in adulation. Musically, vocally and especially lyrically her songs are just astonishing. Simply a genius in the real sense of the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭lily4

Her voice drives me up the proverbial wall !! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Her voice drove me up the wall when I first heard it (from the youtube linked on this thread), I thought it was awful caterwauling! However, after listening to Have One on Me a couple of times, her voice really suits the whole effect. You stop noticing her voice and it just becomes part of the beauty of the songs, even though it wouldn't be to my taste on it's own! Well worth trying to persevere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I'm in the pro camp. From a music and looks department she has it all going for her. Voice-wise the marmite comment is probably very accurate. I find she can sing brilliantly at times and theres definitely shades of Kate Bush and Victoria Williams in there, but other times the voice does become a tad difficult to listen to. The latest album is a grower though and with it spanning 3 CDs theres lots there to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ojwhite

I absolutely love Joanna Newsom. Have One On Me is simply tremendous. I really hope she gets announced for Primavera in Barcelona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 djenzio

i saw that Mariee Sioux was mentioned earlier.

she is indeed worth checking out for Newsom fans.

and I see she is playing in Anseo on March 23rd.

and its only a fiver

here is the info:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=119049874778706&ref=ts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Watching her on Jools her now. Very interesting. Not what I expected at at all but pleasantly suprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 djenzio

yeah i really like her.

you gonna head to the gig?

Haven't been to a gig in ages. Getting lazy in my old age. Last one I was at was Arcade Fire when they played Oxegen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 hamonrye

is she coming here anytime soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

lordgoat wrote: »

No Irish dates - boo!

Saw her in the Olympia on her Ys tour - it was truly a wonderful experience to see a true genius at work. Hopefully she might squeeze in an Irish gig..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It is endlessly upsetting to me that Joanna Newsom is currently an hours flight away and yet she will not come over here :( Particularly distressing is that she is playing the fantastic sounding All Tomorrows Parties curated by Matt Groening (was this weekend I think), along with She & Him. Zooey Deschanel and Joanna Newsom in the same place? Swoonage.

It is endlessly upsetting to me that Joanna Newsom is currently an hours flight away and yet she will not come over here :( Particularly distressing is that she is playing the fantastic sounding All Tomorrows Parties curated by Matt Groening (was this weekend I think), along with She & Him. Zooey Deschanel and Joanna Newsom in the same place? Swoonage.
    So whats the deal with that. Did she get a bad deal over here the last time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭thesultan

She only played one song on Jools last week. Surely she should have gotten another. I know she hadn't a band with here. I would have thought that Jools could have played on 'Easy' or if she had her band with her she could have played 'In California'.

Tomorrow can't come soon enough! :D

Also got to see She & Him on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

So whats the deal with that. Did she get a bad deal over here the last time?

As far as I remember she sold out two nights in the Olympia and went down a treat.

I guess it's not a full European tour, just a few dates that line up withh her apperance at ATP.

I imagine there'l be an Irish date when she returns.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Tomorrow can't come soon enough! :D

Also got to see She & Him on Friday.

Just to let you know that I hate you :pac:

It is a full European tour as far as I know, plenty of gigs over the rest of May. Honestly don't know why she isn't coming over here, but it is a damn shame.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I tried listening to her today for the first time. I don't get it; she sounds like she's five!
    Irritated the hell out of me but I suppose you can't please everyone.

Wow, this girl really can do no wrong. What a show and best of all, completely different to the last time I caught her live.

Had perfect seats, sitting front row directly in front of her.

Couldn't be happier with the setlist too.

Jackrabbits
    Have One On Me
    Easy
    Soft as Chalk
    The Book of Right On
    In California
    Inflammatory Writ
    Good Intentions Paving Company
    No Provenance
    Emily
    Peach, Plum, Pear

Baby Birch

I also got a nice little wave from her as she was leaving the stage after I was the last one to throw my flowers at her. Delighted. :D

• Advertisement

Does she ever perform with a backing band or it just her and the harp. What are the acoustics at her gigs like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Does she ever perform with a backing band or it just her and the harp. What are the acoustics at her gigs like?

She had a small backing band at the Olympia (guitarist, bassist, percussionist) -the sound was amazing, as was the whole atmosphere and rapport between Joanna and the crowd. She even told a joke at one stage ' 'how many hippies does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Hippies don't screw in lightbulbs, they screw in dirty sleeping bags!'

This recording of her gig at The First Unitarian Church Sanctuary, Philadelphia will give you an idea of what she's like live. I'd recommend trying to get your hands on a high quality version of this gig. It's a cracking watch.

Google Video

Each tour has a slightly different set up resulting in slightly different song arrangements. Currenty she's touring with a band consisting of 2 violins, a trombone, a percussionist and Ryan Francesconi who plays a range of instruments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

I got her latest album after all the gushing recommendations but not really my thing to be honest, squeaky voice and very twee, delicate stuff. I can't really make out what's she's saying and if her lyrics are that good well I'd appreciate being able to make them out. Maybe I'm just a philistine but it's a bit crap really

Jack Rabbits an absolutely stunning effort.

donfers wrote: »
    I got her latest album after all the gushing recommendations but not really my thing to be honest, squeaky voice and very twee, delicate stuff. I can't really make out what's she's saying and if her lyrics are that good well I'd appreciate being able to make them out. Maybe I'm just a philistine but it's a bit crap really

Maybe you should write to her asking her to sing more clearly? I think it's only fair after all.

Yes of the female artists that have appeared on Jools this series, Newsome comes out ontop. Will be putting up Jack Rabbit in my song of month poll and Im sure it will poll very well. Again a stunning effort.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Maybe you should write to her asking her to sing more clearly? I think it's only fair after all.

ya but how am I going to get here to change her voice....mission doomed to failure I'm afraid

donfers wrote: »
    ya but how am I going to get here to change her voice....mission doomed to failure I'm afraid
    You do know LG was joking with you don't you?

• Advertisement

Her voice has definitely lost some of its harshness after her operation. It's quite evident when you hear her sing some of her older material.

I think it's made her a little more accessible as friends I have really enjoyed her vocal performance on Jools when I wasn't expecting them to at all.

Her voice has definitely lost some of its harshness after her operation. It's quite evident when you hear her sing some of her older material.

I think it's made her a little more accessible as friends I have really enjoyed her vocal performance on Jools when I wasn't expecting them to at all.

orgies while watching jools :eek::eek::eek: tut tut

what's your address?

* 9/14/10
    * Dublin
    (Grand Canal Theatre)

* 9/16/10
    * Bristol

* 9/17/10
    * Birmingham

* 9/18/10
    * Manchester

* 9/20/10
    * Glasgow

* 9/21/10
    * Gateshead

There ye go!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

God I hate Americanised dates. What f*ck came up with that sh*t?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Kold wrote: »

Some American no doubt.

I'm not one to get excited but in this case:

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!

....Ahem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

* 9/14/10
    * Dublin
    (Grand Canal Theatre)
    Kold wrote: »

At least "Theatre" is spelt (or spelled across the pond) correctly, and it isn't Theater.
    I hate this Americanized crap too.

I was in a fairly rural pub a few weeks ago and they were playing the Ys cd. I couldn't believe my ears. I reckon this will sell out fast as her popularity is steadily growing. Pity there's no Cork date.

* 9/14/10
    * Dublin
    (Grand Canal Theatre)

There ye go!!!

If I could uber-thank you, I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

I am tingling all over!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭meenmore

<SNIP>

Please use toutless.com or adverts.ie for ticket swaps and selling