Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6/4 Motorway Galway to Dublin (for discussing completed sections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

On the N4 Lucan Bypass at roughly 06:30 this morning and nearly every car/truck/van I saw was in the middle lane. There's a "Keep Left" VMS that has been there for a few months but it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference. It's shocking enough that people don't know that you're supposed to keep left, but to blatently ignore a flashing sign telling them to do so is just ridiculous.

*Sigh*

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0306/rta.html
    RTE News wrote:
    Pedestrian killed in Athlone collision

Saturday, 6 March 2010 12:49

A man in his 70s has died followed a road crash on the M6 near Athlone in Co Westmeath.

The deceased man was struck by a car as he was walking in the Monksland area at around 6am this morning.

A forensic examination of the scene is due to be carried out and this has forced the closure of the eastbound carriageway of the M6 between Junctions 14 and 12.

Motorists travelling east are advised to divert onto the old N6 between Ballinasloe and Athlone.

Garda are investigating the circumstances of the crash and have asked any witnesses to contact Athlone Garda Station 090- 6498550, the Garda Confidential Line 1-800-666-111 or any garda station.
    *M6/GALWAY/WESTMEATH* The M6 Galway/Dublin Rd will remain closed eastbound until approx. 3pm from J14 Ballinsloe East to J12 Roscommon following an earlier incident. Divert at Ballinasloe onto the Old N6 Dublin Rd instead.

Surely that would be County Roscommon, rather than Westmeath?

Sad news, RIP. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

KevR wrote: »
    On the N4 Lucan Bypass at roughly 06:30 this morning and nearly every car/truck/van I saw was in the middle lane. There's a "Keep Left" VMS that has been there for a few months but it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference. It's shocking enough that people don't know that you're supposed to keep left, but to blatently ignore a flashing sign telling them to do so is just ridiculous.

*Sigh*
    Yea! This crap pisses me off no end. Also on 6-laned sections of road in Ireland (N4, M50, N7 etc.) there is a shocking amount of lane-changing without using an indicator. This type of drifting crap is so dangerous. I've seen near misses several times as other drivers aren't made aware of the manouver about to be performed.
    I've started doing a passive-aggressive thing where I follow a discreet distance behind offenders and beep them every time they do it, but it's like talking to the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Was cut off horribly badly on the M6 the other day, driver almost hit me when pulling back in from the overtaking lane. He got a damn good flash of the headlights for it. Then he apologised with his hazards.

But still, bad driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

On the M4/M6 motorway split, it is not adequate IMO! If you look at the way motorways diverge in the UK there is 4km ADS warning and a new running lane for that amount of time so there is an extra lane up to new motorway. That is one criticism I have of design of the new motorways diverging in this country.

287E5EF841DF486F84D216179797E1D8-800.jpg

Looking at the above it's not designed as a junction onto a new motorway. The spec is unbeliveably low, it should have an extra running lane on the M4 for a km up to the new junction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Then he apologised with his hazards.

He wasn't apologising mate! If i know my flashes, he was doing something far less polite

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

tech2 wrote: »
    Looking at the above it's not designed as a junction onto a new motorway. The spec is unbeliveably low, it should have an extra running lane on the M4 for a km up to the new junction.

Presumably the major constraint here is the three junctions bunched together: the Kinnegad exit, the M4/M6 split, and the M6 J1. If you accept there must be three junctions in this short space, then there isn't much else that can be done.

Perhaps at the design stage more thought should have been given to combining some of the exits into a fewer number of larger exits.

/csd

The left turning free-flow slip lane from the Dublin Road outbound to the R446 DC towards the M6 roundabout at Doughiska looks to be almost complete.

Also, there are new signage poles on the R446 (old N6) DC to Oranmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭35x

Checking if anybody knows what speed limit is on the connection from Loughrea to
    the M6...there is not any speed limit sign on entire stretch!!!! As it is an N road one might assume 100kph... but I've been told that as there is an 80kph sign on the off-ramp,then it's 80... but if you enter from the Loughrea end, the possible four entry roads on to the roundabout have 100, 80, 60and 50kph speed signs near the approaches!! I heard the Speed cops were on it recently, but.......what is the correct speed???????

PS Great comments on M4/M6 divergence. My comment re gantry presence suffered from gremlins...of course you can see it but what I meant was that there should be better preparation of lanes/signage as shown by many of the posts since, esp tech2 pic yesterday. Any progress on Athlone bypass to M classification?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Can someone tell me precisely how long the M6 is (excluding the Athlone Bypass) and possibly give me a breakdown of the lengths of the individual schemes it's comprised of between Kinnegad and Galway? I'm updating the M6 wikipedia page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

35x wrote: »
    Checking if anybody knows what speed limit is on the connection from Loughrea to
    the M6...there is not any speed limit sign on entire stretch!!!! As it is an N road one might assume 100kph... but I've been told that as there is an 80kph sign on the off-ramp,then it's 80... but if you enter from the Loughrea end, the possible four entry roads on to the roundabout have 100, 80, 60and 50kph speed signs near the approaches!! I heard the Speed cops were on it recently, but.......what is the correct speed???????

PS Great comments on M4/M6 divergence. My comment re gantry presence suffered from gremlins...of course you can see it but what I meant was that there should be better preparation of lanes/signage as shown by many of the posts since, esp tech2 pic yesterday. Any progress on Athlone bypass to M classification?

There is an upgrade due to take place on the athlone bypass this year. hopefully this will allow the redesignation to go ahead.

emfifty wrote: »
    [/I][/B]

There is an upgrade due to take place on the athlone bypass this year. hopefully this will allow the redesignation to go ahead.

Chichen & egg situation, I thought that the decision needed to be made before the upgrade to determine the standard of the work rather than the other way round....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

emfifty wrote: »
    [/I][/B]

Is there any documentation on what is planned as part of this upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

dubhthach wrote: »
    Is there any documentation on what is planned as part of this upgrade?

The upgrade works were discussed earlier in this thread (starting on page 39)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

@ whoever - the M4/M6 split is just fine for a two-lane motorways with light traffic. It certainly doesn't need a 2km long diverge lane! :pac:

Wild Bill wrote: »
    @ whoever - the M4/M6 split is just fine for a two-lane motorways with light traffic. It certainly doesn't need a 2km long diverge lane! :pac:

Agreed! Just needs a better advance warning sign and road markings to stop drivers ending up on the M6 overtaking lane.

I think it needs people to pay attention a bit more, if you're paying the remotest bit of attention there really isnt any problems. Plenty of signs and a hacking great gantry.

Now should the split have prioritised Galway bound traffic? Probably yes.

I think it needs people to pay attention a bit more, if you're paying the remotest bit of attention there really isnt any problems. Plenty of signs and a hacking great gantry.

YES!

Nah. The N4 is the continuous road so I'd say they got it right. Also, is there any difference in traffic count?

The Mullingar road often seems busier to me. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

489FF1DC1E34432DB311D22F1A4B8723-800.jpg

This is the first sign for the Galway turn-off - only a few hundred meters before the junction. Even the most minor turn offs in most motorways have 1 or 2 km notices but this is a major spilt with hardly any signing.

If you are overtaking a few trucks when you get to this sign it'll be very difficult to cut across safely.

• Advertisement

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Nah. The N4 is the continuous road so I'd say they got it right. Also, is there any difference in traffic count?

The Mullingar road often seems busier to me. :cool:

There is a difference in traffic counts, a pretty big one! The M6 is typically 50% busier than the M4 West of Kinnegead.

It's not a massive deal but I would agree that Westbound the M6 should have been the main route with the M4 branching off. The M4 is the continuous route number through the junction but route number shouldn't be the primary consideration when configuring the junction, traffic volumes should be. Dublin-Galway is the main/busiest route through the junction.

Have driven through this junction loads of times and it has never struck me that the signage for the Galway turn off is inadequate, I personally think it's ok. Would prefer slightly longer splitting lanes though.

KevR wrote: »
    There is a difference in traffic counts, a pretty big one! The M6 is typically 50% busier than the M4 West of Kinnegead.
    I think that there are two distinct traffic flows being measured here, M4 Dublin - Mullingar & M6 Tullamore - Athlone.

I find that the section of M6 between Kinnegad & Kilbeggan has the least traffic on it. Before the motorway was built, (some of) that section of N6 was the least developed anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I'm willing to concede that another ADS, 2 km from the junction, should be provided, as that is typically the case on most new stretches.

Apart from that, the signage is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

BluntGuy wrote: »
    I'm willing to concede that another ADS, 2 km from the junction, should be provided, as that is typically the case on most new stretches.

Agree - but why not provide the standard signage - 2K, 1K, 500m and at exit?

serfboard wrote: »
    Agree - but why not provide the standard signage - 2K, 1K, 500m and at exit?
    Because it overlaps with the Kinnegad exit that's about 800m before it, the Kinnegad exit signs should have two fingers, one for Kinnegad and one for Galway on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Folks,

Here are some pics of the M6/N6 taken on two occasions over the last four weeks. The start point is the beginning of the scheme at Ballinasloe, finishing up at the Galway terminus.

Ballinasloe East junction, heading west.
    IMG_0597.JPG

Ballinasloe West junction.
    IMG_0601.JPG

Motorway scene, west of Ballinasloe. The quality of the surface is excellent.
    IMG_0603.JPG

Because of the relatively large distances between junctions, emergency access is provided at a number of locations through these locked gates, which link up with the local road network.
    IMG_0605.JPG

Between Ballinasloe and Athenry.
    IMG_0786.JPG

The scheme is peppered with these little M6 Route Confirmation Signs, which seems to be quite unique, as they're normally appended to the top of a combined distance/confirmation sign on other motorways in Ireland.
    IMG_0789.JPG

J16, Loughrea.
    IMG_0793.JPG

J17, Caughwell, with the M6 snaking away westwards in the distance.
    IMG_0794.JPG

Getting closer to Galway now.
    IMG_0795.JPG

Here is the site of the future J18 with the M17/M18 interchange. You can see the start of the diverge has been laid down as part of the M6 scheme.
    IMG_0796.JPG

...and here's the merge lane at the far side of the future J18. Having this built already will (hopefully) reduce the disruption to M6 traffic when the interchange is built.
    IMG_0797.JPG

1km from the end of the motorway section. I'm not sure all-green looks right here. Maybe a green patch on a blue background would be better to remind folks they're still on the motorway.
    IMG_0800.JPG

J19.
    IMG_0802.JPG

End of the motorway at J19. The scheme continues as the N6 until the junction with the existing Galway/Oranmore bypass.
    IMG_0803.JPG

Approaching the western terminus of the 57 km Galway - Ballinasloe scheme.
    IMG_0805.JPG

/csd

Where the M7 Naas By-pass turns into the Naas Road the overhead gantry are solid colours like the end of the M6 and the signs on the side of the road are blue patched - so that seems to be consistent.

As for the wee route confirmation signs....maybe folk from the West have short-term memory issues? :D

There should be a 2km advance sign for the M6/M4 split as this is the norm for all exits. Is there one at the M7/M9 diverge...can't recall. Memory thingy.

That bit of the M6 is the best bit of motorway in the country by far :D

I'd love for M6 construction to get both M20 contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

csd wrote: »
    Folks,

Here are some pics of the M6/N6 taken on two occasions over the last four weeks. The start point is the beginning of the scheme at Ballinasloe, finishing up at the Galway terminus.

/csd

Great shots, I've noticed the road surface being quite white myself when I was down last week - is this because of lots of 'salting' and not a lot of rain washing it away due to our recent dry/frosty weather? Anyone any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

csd wrote: »
    The scheme is peppered with these little M6 Route Confirmation Signs, which seems to be quite unique, as they're normally appended to the top of a combined distance/confirmation sign on other motorways in Ireland.

I'm all for these, especially where the distance between junctions is relatively long. A little reminder of where you are doesn't hurt. I wouldn't argue they're necessary, but certainly welcome. :)
    That bit of the M6 is the best bit of motorway in the country by far biggrin.gif

I find it impossible to argue with this. :D

Advertisement