Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6/4 Motorway Galway to Dublin (for discussing completed sections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Furet wrote: »
    What's the website address for the toll operator on G-B? Can't seem to find it on google...

http://www.n6concession.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Funny enough on the signs on the motorway parts of the road they are M6 Concession, on the non-motorway bits, N6 concession :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,197 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its N6 Concession on the most certainly M-bit start signs in Ballinasloe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 elbitchio

Hi Guys

Heading to Monivea this week on the M6 from Kilbeggan to Athenry. Will I encounter any Tolls along the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭SeanW

Yes, there is one toll between Ballinasloe and the N65 junction about 8 miles North of Loughrea.

You can dodge it if you must by taking this route: though I wouldn't advise it because IIRC the worst parts of the old N6 were bypassed by the toll. Be aware the Google Maps has the route numbers all messed up, what they call the N6 is actually a Motorway (but the routing is correct) and they've mislabed the R446 (old N6) as R338 for practically all of its length.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

elbitchio wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Heading to Monivea this week on the M6 from Kilbeggan to Athenry. Will I encounter any Tolls along the way?

Good auld Monivea, you'll come across tolls for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭veryangryman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Ballinasloe to Galway: I'd been expecting marvelous things from this stretch based on all the posts about it here. But to be honest, while it is very good, it is about on a par with the Cashel-Cullahill section of the M8 in my opinion. The landscaping is deplorable, though they were planting some trees on Saturday when I drove it, so I'd imagine they are improving that aspect. The surface was very good, but not a patch on the Carlow-Kilcullen section of the M9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I haven't driven the Carlow-Kilcullen scheme yet but I would be surprised if it did have a better surface than B-G. Like Chris said in another thread I would kiss the asphalt if it was legally possible to do so :D. I agree the landscaping isint the best but I found it a joy to drive on.

tech2 wrote: »
    I haven't driven the Carlow-Kilcullen scheme yet but I would be surprised if it did have a better surface than B-G. Like Chris said in another thread I would kiss the asphalt if it was legally possible to do so :D. I agree the landscaping isint the best but I found it a joy to drive on.

The C-K scheme really is better. I've always said that in general the M4 from Lucan to the M6 split is the best section of motorway on the island (and even the N4 Lucan Bypass is just smashing), but the G-B scheme, while great is just quite dreary in my view. The lining is very bright, and the surface is very good (one of the best, and better than M8 C-M or M7 N-L or the M7/M8PPP) - but like I said, I really think the best asphalt surface must go M9 C-K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

SeanW wrote: »
    Yes, there is one toll between Ballinasloe and the N65 junction about 8 miles North of Loughrea.

Loughrea's about 8km south of this Junction.
    Obviously your mileage may vary depending on where in Loughrea you're going to. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

There was a huge push to get the road itself open for Christmas and the emergency opening of one carriageway during the November floods delayed things somewhat so I can see why landscaping is only happening now still (there have been short sections of emergency lane closures for landscaping pretty much since it opened). Could they have done much planting at Christmas anyhow?

The second Athenry link road is still under construction also - one link road was prioritised so the motorway itself could be opened sooner. Second link road nearly finished now though.

KevR wrote: »
    There was a huge push to get the road itself open for Christmas and the emergency opening of one carriageway during the November floods delayed things somewhat so I can see why landscaping is only happening now still (there have been short sections of emergency lane closures for landscaping pretty much since it opened). Could they have done much planting at Christmas anyhow?

Planting is best done from October to March, when the trees are still dormant. Planting in summer is generally a bad idea (I note that a huge amount of the conifers planted on the M7/M8 scheme last May are now as dead as doornails), so I was surprised to see them planting so many on the M6 near the toll plaza at the weekend.

Furet wrote: »
    The C-K scheme really is better. I've always said that in general the M4 from Lucan to the M6 split is the best section of motorway on the island (and even the N4 Lucan Bypass is just smashing), but the G-B scheme, while great is just quite dreary in my view. The lining is very bright, and the surface is very good (one of the best, and better than M8 C-M or M7 N-L or the M7/M8PPP) - but like I said, I really think the best asphalt surface must go M9 C-K.

In terms of landscaping and planting, it really is the best. Which is interesting because (correct me if I'm wrong) the M4 has some non-'native' plants (which gives a nicer variety). i.e. -It was built before the NRA started insisting on native plants/landscaping for all of these newer schemes.

The M4 is a great drive but I really don't like the shoddy cable barrier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Really chaps! The M4 is "better" because the trees were planted nearly 20 years ago! :D

You guys are a bit (understatement :cool:) unrealistic about the landscaping issue.

On the "native" trees issue - it just happens that our natives are not blessed with good autumn colour - to stick to 100% "native" species is greenie cultist nonsense in a countryside that has non-natives naturalised for over a thousand years in some cases.

As for the surface quality; I'd call M9 to Carlow and Galway Ballinasloe a draw. Though the M9 travels through nicer scenery.

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Really chaps! The M4 is "better" because the trees were planted nearly 20 years ago! :D

You guys are a bit (understatement :cool:) unrealistic about the landscaping issue.

I think not. I have a Diploma in Horticulture from the National Botanic Gardens and although I haven't practiced horticulture in almost 8 years and have forgotten a lot, I retain a fair idea of how long it takes for plants to grow, and I do know when something has been poorly planted. In any case, the part of the M4 I was referring to is the PPP section, not the older, more established stretch.

Hmmm. The tolled M4 was planted mainly in the year after it opened as far as I can remember.

In fact they have added some trees several times since - not just replacements.

I think though that there has been a change in policy

- firstly the "native only" rule which leaves trees like birch and alder and Scots pine trying to compete with furze on dry slopes - only one winner there!

- secondly, apart from the vicinity of over-bridges they have abandoned the practice of close spacing (by far the most effective way of getting quick cover and competing vegetation suppression).

The latter was because someone decided (probably on cost grounds) that they didn't think linear forests were the best for viewing the countryside (though originally they were supposed to do just that so drivers would concentrate on driving).

But, imho, the real reason is that they realised that trying to get "native only" trees established was slow and costly and the end result bland and boring. Rather than change the "native only" rule they invented the "blend-in" notion.

Of course that doesn't work either!

Wild Bill wrote: »

I think though that there has been a change in policy

- firstly the "native only" rule which leaves trees like birch and alder and Scots pine trying to compete with furze on dry slopes - only one winner there!

Big time. I saw a team of hi-viz workers ripping furze out of the embankments near junction 13 of the M7 last week. I've no idea why.
    - secondly, apart from the vicinity of over-bridges they have abandoned the practice of close spacing (by far the most effective way of getting quick cover and competing vegetation suppression).

They really have. What disgusts me to be honest is also the absolute infestation of horrible plants like thistles, nettles and especially dock. These, when numbered in the millions, make the entire landtake along the motorways look exhausted and poor. Although the M3 has been planted extremely thickly indeed in the fashion you've described.
    But, imho, the real reason is that they realised that trying to get "native only" trees established was slow and costly and the end result bland and boring. Rather than change the "native only" rule they invented the "blend-in" notion.

Of course that doesn't work either!

It doesn't. In fact,the direct opposite has resulted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

The native trees along the M20 have grown well and do fit in very well with the surrounding landscape.

Zoney wrote: »
    The native trees along the M20 have grown well and do fit in very well with the surrounding landscape.

But what do they look like on a bleak All Souls Day? :cool:

• Advertisement

Must have been at least 8 different highway maintanence crews out on Galway-Ballinsloe doing lanscaping and other stuff. :)

No work on Athlone-Ballinasloe and it is definitely worse than G-B; so many weeds! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nath

Must have been at least 8 different highway maintanence crews out on Galway-Ballinsloe doing lanscaping and other stuff. :)

No work on Athlone-Ballinasloe and it is definitely worse than G-B; so many weeds! :(

Ah yes, you know it's getting near Race Week when the landscaping is done on the approach roads and roundabouts in Galway, :D

Weeds? Take a look at the ragwort on the N11 from Bray southwards to Rathnew (margins, median and nearly on the carriageway - like triffids!)

I kinda like their little yellow heads :).

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭35x

Does the Noxious Weeds Act render the "owners "- NRA / Local Authorities?? - liable to prosecution for the Ragworth?

35x wrote: »
    Does the Noxious Weeds Act render the "owners "- NRA / Local Authorities?? - liable to prosecution for the Ragworth?

I believe so, assuming resonable steps are not taken to eradicate.

On the M4 tolled section I saw men physically removing ragworth by pulling them up; they were at it in the morning westwards and on the eastbound carriageway that evening when I was coming back. This was a few weeks ago.

Because they maintain the verges fairly well on the tolled stretch there weren't that many - you'd need a platoon to do that job on the N11.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I noticed a nasty resonance from the road surface in the eastbound carriageway this morning. This was driving at the speed limit between Doughiska and the Airport , a 100kph stretch. Both lanes affected :(

No probs elsewhere.

*N6/WESTMEATH* The N6/Athlone Bypass Eastbound is flooded in both lanes between J10 Ballymahon & J9 Garrycastle. Slow down and approach with absolute care. There are 20 minute delays along this route at present. Motorists are urged to divert through the town instead.

Has this ever flooded before? I don't remember any mention of the bypass being flooded during the Athlone floods last year.

Could just be blocked drains + heavy rain.

The road goes through a small cutting there, but is still well above the river.
    It must be just blocked or overloaded drains, they were only recently cleaned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I was in Athlone Town Stadium right next to that section, and it was a massive shower that fell. Hail followed by rain. Looked like a funnel cloud looking north as well.

You always get standing water at the end of the Garrycastle merge westbound, but never seen anything eastbound.

Advertisement