Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PlayTV Discussion (reasonable discussion ONLY!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭dangerpowers

It will have Fiona's P45 or equivalent in Hungary in the enevelope and the words you have a 5 minute countdown plus some moments to leave the building as the solution

There will be no thank you's

I'm sure Fiona would be reading here and knows its over, maybe she'll have gone on the rampage cough before she presents (if she makes it) tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It will have Fiona's P45 or equivalent in Hungary in the enevelope and the words you have a 5 minute countdown plus some moments to leave the building as the solution

There will be no thank you's

I'm sure Fiona would be reading here and knows its over, maybe she'll have gone on the rampage cough before she presents (if she makes it) tonight.
    It would be hilarious if someone has a falling down moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭alanatoday

andrew90 wrote: »
    Anyone thinking of starting a support group to deal with lhe end of Play TV, nights will never be the same again

I hope so! I have this strange feeling brewing inside me all day. I think its one of sorrow and loss at play tv being axed!! (It was my guilty pleasure for the last couple of months :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BMollie

alanatoday wrote: »
    I hope so! I have this strange feeling brewing inside me all day. I think its one of sorrow and loss at play tv being axed!! (It was my guilty pleasure for the last couple of months :D)

Me also, I feel the same. It has been a love/dislike (re what PlayTV were doing to people) situation for me (don't like the word hate)...but certainly it became a hobby of mine, and I truly loved it, and will miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I can't believe it, it was my nightly sleeping tablet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

bryaner wrote: »
    I can't believe it, it was my nightly sleeping tablet!

Watch "Brainbox" instead.

A legitimate quiz.

Its on ITV, ya? Unfortunately I dont have that channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Brainbox is nice but PlayTV was naughty.

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

Reading between the lines
    TV3 GROUP RELEASE
    IMMEDIATE: Friday 5th March 2010

TV3 ANNOUNCES THAT IT IS NOT RENEWING THE PLAY TV SERVICE

TV3 announces that it is not renewing the Play TV service. We can't afford our part of the contract.

We would like to thank Telemedia for their professional service which gave TV3 the revenue to prevent further job cuts at the low point of the recession. Don't blame us for the unfair practices of the other party in this partnership

The service was very popular with viewers but recently viewership to the service has declined.Unfortunately the viewers started coming to their senses.

TV3 will likely introduce different interactive services to the station subject to viewer demand. Commercial revenues from interactive services such as Play TV are an important source of funding for TV3 since TV3 receives no licence fee income. The revenue is used to fund the constantly increasing output of Irish programming, now accounting for over a third of TV3’s schedule; and has helped TV3 to produce award winning programming.
    We knew there was no income from licence fees but we accepted that. Now we're trying to divert attention from our stupidity and try to get you to believe we are sincere people.

TV3 has made an excellent start to 2010 with viewer numbers up over 5%, building on the increases achieved in 2009. Neilsen data shows TV3 is the only terrestrial channel viewed in Ireland (including the UK channels) to increase its share in 2010; and 3e has rapidly become one of the top three digital channels in the market.
    More whitewash which has nothing to do with the subject.
    We are good at that.

Ends.

Notes to editor:
    The following is just more diversionary material
    Diversionary: adj: Likely or designed to confuse or deceive

PLAY TV commenced in May 2009. The service was an “infomercial” which ran between 12 midnight and 3am. Telemedia, the service provider, broadcasts similar programmes in most European countries.

TV3 won three of the major awards at the recently held IFTA’s: Best News Programme (News at 5.30); Best Factual Programme (Tonight with Vincent Browne); and Best Entertainment Series (The Apprentice)

Please see attached ratings data from Nielsen for January and February 2010, and for the full year 2009.

For further information:
    Maureen Catterson
    TV3 PRESS OFFICE
    +353 1 419 3430
    +353 87 7800 737

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I thought it was next week PlayTV was gonna be axed, I'm sad about it - and I had some craic reading the stuff on here, there are some majorly intelligent people on here!

I hope they do say something about it finishing, twould kinda of be wrong for them just to say goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Right, I'm all geared up! Chinese food, beers, slippers and couch! It's going to be a fun, if not emotional night. I'll leave my sign off comment when they finally sign off.

Robbie, I really hope you do get all your winnings.

Only 43 minutes to the beginning of the end.

Just one of the memories I have that stay's in my mind and makes me laugh.
    I'd like to share.

About 4 mths. back CarolK and myself were posting about JG. She wanted to know his age and said he looked fit, and I said he looked very toned of recent times. About 5 minutes later he lifts up his tshirt and walks to the camera...At that point I realised, this board was being read, and relayed.
    So when he was on again, I posted about his arms being very toned, and true to form, he walked over to camera (to get something?) and showed off his arm. Well the laughs I got from that, and still do, when I think about, are precious. :cool:

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Only 43 minutes to the beginning of the end.

*Sobs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

anyone else set reminder on there sky/ntl box?

If I didnt have Premium numbers blocked I'd call in.

"Is it Africa????"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Robbie, I really hope you do get all your winnings.

You know what, the money isn't at all important. The craic, banter and entertaintment we had here was worth it. I think I was lucky that I didn't discover PlayTV until after all the deception was highlighted on this thread. I knew the odds anytime I entered. I was even luckier in that the two or three times the past month that they had the wrong answer for the triangles were nights that I wasn't watching. I would have felt so conned and be bitter about it had I lost money those nights.

While I'm not sorry that PlayTV's greed has hastened their end, I'm sad that we'll lose entertainment and what we had going in this thread. I hope they have quadrangles galore tonight! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Will they go for one last hit tonight, no need to worry about the BAI any more.

I think 'cats on a bus' would be a fitting end.

BMollie wrote: »
    Just one of the memories I have that stay's in my mind and makes me laugh.
    I'd like to share.

About 4 mths. back CarolK and myself were posting about JG. She wanted to know his age and said he looked fit, and I said he looked very toned of recent times. About 5 minutes later he lifts up his tshirt and walks to the camera...At that point I realised, this board was being read, and relayed.
    So when he was on again, I posted about his arms being very toned, and true to form, he walked over to camera (to get something?) and showed off his arm. Well the laughs I got from that, and still do, when I think about, are precious. :cool:
    I have a few tapes of PTV lying around. Might see if that's on any of them.

• Advertisement

*Sobs*
    White crocodile tears!

Auld-Yin wrote: »
    I have a few tapes of PTV lying around. Might see if that's on any of them.

I wouldn't mind seeing those :D
    A bit of JG "6 pack" action on youtube would be a treat ;)

I wouldn't mind seeing those :D
    A bit of JG "6 pack" action on youtube would be a treat ;)

I have a six pack,

here it is -->

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

homer-eating-popcorn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

someone is about to have their heart broken on american idol.

waiting for playtv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Have only just heard about PlayTV finally biting the dust, I've been so busy with studies the last few weeks.

About time it went IMHO, and I gather I won't be along in having many memories of it but not particularly missing it.

Early hours on TV3 will look mighty unfamiliar though...

And all the Marys and Carmels etc. won't have a clue when they are redialling tonight! ;)

i can see why hayley was booted off. she is woeful.

Will the number still be active after they have gone?

• Advertisement

here we go...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement