Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragonslayers Ranking Battle 3.5 - SFIV - 06/02/10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

chunkis wrote: »
    Yeah am down for some st, but the tvs last time i was in belfast had mega lag, are there any crts we can jack?

As far as I know there aren't any CRT TV's :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Yeah am down for some st, but the tvs last time i was in belfast had mega lag, are there any crts we can jack?

DS owns at least one CRT, and I think they have a second as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

whos going so?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Placebo wrote: »
    whos going so?

Looks like the chunk n chop connection right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

I'm going up for BB, provided 40 quid is enough to last the 2 days. Well, 18 after the bus, & then theres the BB entrance fee, not sure how much that is?

Whats the safest amount to bring?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

train is only 9 gbp
    id bring more to be safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

Xinkai wrote: »
    I'm going up for BB, provided 40 quid is enough to last the 2 days. Well, 18 after the bus, & then theres the BB entrance fee, not sure how much that is?

Whats the safest amount to bring?
    I wanna get as many people as possible so I won't be charging anything for BB. Of course, don't expect an impressive prize at the end of it! ;)

You just need to bring enough cash to get in to the Slayers24 event and buy some sugary snacks to get you through the night.

Should have roughly 10 pound for food hoping thats enough, gonna try get another 10 to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

That's a full KFC bucket's worth, you'll have enough food to not die I'm sure. :P

Vyse just checking aswell i play pad in BB now (Boooooo) i'm sure you have pads up there right? Just in case no harm in asking.

• Advertisement

Xinkai wrote: »
    Vyse just checking aswell i play pad in BB now (Boooooo) i'm sure you have pads up there right? Just in case no harm in asking.

Yeah, we have plenty.

Right-o i'm in.

Anybody getting the bus tomorrow? Don't wanna go by meself as i'm such a pussy :P

Anybody let me know what time their getting the BUS at let me know so i can tag along that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I plan on getting the 11:00 bus.

I plan on getting the 11:00 bus.

Sound Chop, take it your getting it from bus eireann right?

Just in case you get the Airport line?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Yeah Busarus.

l i'll meet you in there then aswell as anyone else who's goin by bus?

Gluck gents. Do us proud!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fake_roogle

Dragonslayers Ranbat 3.5 Results - 06/02/10

SFIV Singles - 16 Entrants - Double Elimination
    1st - Cobelcog (Cammy)
    2nd - Newtype (Ryu)
    3rd - Chunkis (Zangief/Sagat/Ryu)
    4th - fake_roogle (Balrog)
    5th - Blag (Bison)
    6th - LiquidSwords (Fei Long)
    7th - The Truth (Blanka)
    8th - Xinkai (Ryu)

Brackets
    Groups

SFIV 2v2 - 7 Teams - Single Elimination

This was free entry and teams were assigned randomly, even if there looks like there are some obvious competitors from the get go. :-P

1st - Team B2A (V-DecK, Newtype)
    2nd - Team 1 (The Truth, Cobelcog)
    3rd-4th - Team Blackanese (Liquidswords, fake_roogle)
    3rd-4th - Team 3 (ChopperByrne, Chunkis)
    5th-7th - Team 5 (Kris Ferguson, Yreval)
    5th-7th - Team 6 (Cloudpaul, Blag)
    5th-7th - Team 7 (Diarmaid, Xinkai)

Brackets

BlazBlue 1v1 - 12 Entrants - Double Elimination
    This didn't count as a ranbat, just for fun tourney. Since it started late (and was late already and to quote Question Mark Mound (Vyze): "Nobody cared!"), only did bo1 and bo3 for finals.

1st - Tsukiko (Taokaka)
    2nd - Xinkai (Nu/Noel)
    3rd - inferis (Hakumen)
    4th - Cloudpaul (Jin/Ragna)
    5th - Yreval (Tager)
    5th - Zero (Jin)
    7th - V-DecK (Arakune)
    7th - Cobelcog (Nu)

Brackets

Congrats to Cobcog for finally defeating newtype. Wish I'd seen that!

Chunkis, care to explain why you were not victorious re: our discussion earlier? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Congrats to Cobcog for finally defeating newtype. Wish I'd seen that!

Chunkis, care to explain why you were not victorious re: our discussion earlier? :D

Fair play to him for coming from loosers and beating him 3-0 in both matches, id say he was delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fake_roogle

Added unofficial BlazBlue tourney results.

Bush80 wrote: »
    Fair play to him for coming from loosers and beating him 3-0 in both matches, id say he was delighted.

I'd love to have seen that. I bet there were some cheers :) it's never easy fighting up from losers either.

This time I'll start with the Quote of the Ranbat:

"Roogle, I think you'll find that we do, in fact, do counter-picks in this house"

- Me after beating Kris' Zangief in groups with my... Sagat?

Yes, after seeing who I would face in my group - and, more importantly, who they were likely to pick (two Giefs and a Blanka, and this was a stacked group with The Truth and Chunkis as the other Gief - in other words, three uphill battles for Sakura) - I decided it was time to consider a counterpick. Initially I decided against it for my opener against Chunkis, staying with Sakura. After a slight hesitation, he then went for Gief and proceeded to win. After that, I took the decision to try and counter-pick my way into the top eight. Initially, this tactic seemed to be paying off as I TIGER TIGER TIGER'd my way to victory over Kris to set up a winner-goes-to-top-eight showdown with The Truth, but in the end he proved to be too good for my Sagat. This group, in general, was counter-pick city - only The Truth stayed, erm, true to a single character throughout.

As far as I can tell, the current SF4 standings are:
    Rank | Player         | Points
    ------------------------------
     =1. | Newtype        | 35
     =1. | Cobelcog       | 35
      3. | The Truth      | 33
      4. | Blag           | 32
      5. | Roogle         | 30
      6. | Yreval         | 17
      7. | V-DecK         | 15
     =8. | Stu            |  9
     =8. | Chunkis        |  9
    =10. | Doctor DooM    |  7
    =10. | Malachy        |  7
    =10. | LiquidSwords   |  7
     13. | mr_kyle        |  5
    =14. | Paul Kelly     |  4
    =14. | Dave Gillespie |  4
    =14. | Cloudpaul      |  4
    =17. | Mortuus        |  3
    =17. | Xinkai         |  3
    =19. | Adam Hamilton  |  2
    =19. | ChopperByrne   |  2
    =19. | Jim            |  2
    =19. | DC             |  2
    =19. | Kanped         |  2
    =19. | Mark           |  2
    =25. | Inferis        |  1
    =25. | Andrew Carr    |  1
    =25. | Tsukiko        |  1
    =25. | Diarmaid       |  1

BB: Between my performance at the Serenity Games tourney in November and QMM's non-participation, it looked like I had a decent shot at the Milkybars and the Wild and Whippys (a chocolate bar with a nougat centre. A Mars ripoff, basically, albeit one with a far more interesting name.) If Sakura vs Gief in SF4 is an "uphill" battle, though, Tager vs Nu is more like an "up-Everest" battle and Xinkai didn't need too much effort to send ne to losers' where I then lost to Cloudpaul. Even Cobelcog, who was playing for the first time as far as I could tell, made decent inroads with Nu in our group game.

GGs everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

doom i did alright, here is a quick run down of what happend,

I was match point up on newtype and only one spin away from grand finals when i got little impatient and stuck out a standing medium kick that got punished with a textbook dragon punch dash ultra to take it to 1-1 and that kinda changed the flow of match in newtypes favour with him taking the final game, it was a very tight and intense match, but it could have went either way.

Then in losers finals i played cobelcog once again and switched to ryu, not sure why i switched to ryu, i guess thinking about it now i was feeling quite confident and i didn`t feel that i was going to lose against cobelcogs cammy because i was dominating him in casuals, but before i knew it i was 1 game down after switching to ryu and 1 round down losing the first round of the 2nd game to a perfect, i didn`t really get out of the blocks at all and picking ryu proved to be a terrible idea and it cost me the match and chance to come back in grand finals.

However dispite being eliminated from the tournament i did quite well in casuals, i dominated cobelcogs cammy with zangief and was quite pleased with my performance. However when i played with ryu it was a different story, i went 3-5 against his cammy with ryu and 0-7 against his cammy with sagat, it was the first time that i played a cammy and i didn`t really know what i was going on, i didn`t get to play against him as much as i would have like with sagat and just as i was getting into the matches we had to stop for the team tournament. But the matches i did play i learned a lot and i can`t wait for the next tournament. Cobelcog is very tallented player and a credit to the irish fighting game community, i look forward to playing him again.

Then when i played newtype it was 50/50 ryu vs ryu with most matches going right down to the wire, we both learned a lot about each others style of play and there was almost nothing in it between us, it made for some enjoyable matches, its just a shame they didn`t get recorded. But when i picked sagat it was murder on the dance floor, newtype had a very tough time dealing with sagat as most ryus do and i won quite comfortable with an 8-0 streak on his ryu. It would have been nice to play cobelcogs cammy with sagat after i had warmed up properly because i felt like things definitely would have been different between my sagat and his cammy.

Dispite newtype losing 6-0 to cobelcog in the grand final he redeemed himself in causals with some outstanding play that was worthly of being loged in the jedi archives, he completely out played cobelcog and won 5 or 6 matches on the trot and showed his true class and why he is rated as one of the best players in the country.

Almost everybody has leveled up since the last time i was in belfast with v-deck and roogle being the most improved players i played. In general i think the level up north is definitely stronger than in the south, with all of them making a strong showing in the tournament. I can`t for the next event now, i hope to see everybody attending the next tournament.

For all of the south players reading we should definitely make a trip up to belfast before cannes, including people like azza and bush and anybody else who is looking to get better and improve. I want to get better and the only way to do that is to play. France is just around the corner and i want all of us going to be the best we can be before we go because i know whats waiting for us in cannes and its not the easter bunny, so we need to be ready.

Big shout out to everybody i played and saw in belfast, see you soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Would love to see the Coblebog V Newtype matches. For Chris to turn it around after so many decisive matches in Mike's favour over the last few months would be amazing to watch.

Those milky way bars were sooo good, still craving some more haha. Grats to Tsukiko for basically emBARassing me in grand finals winning in straight sets, i have a month to train up to Vyze level before france where hopefully i can place. Thanks to Vyze for hosting the tournament, it was well worth the trip up.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Dispite newtype losing 6-0 to cobelcog in the grand final he redeemed himself in causals with some outstanding play that was worthly of being loged in the jedi archives, he completely out played cobelcog and won 5 or 6 matches on the trot and showed his true class and why he is rated as one of the best players in the country.

That was a great set to watch,Newtype was obviously a bit gutted about how the final went and some of his play in that set was high calibre stuff,think the score in the end was 11-5.

I was a bit disappointed not to get some games in with you,been a while since I've played a Sagat but sure there's always next time!

For all of the south players reading we should definitely make a trip up to belfast before cannes, including people like azza and bush and anybody else who is looking to get better and improve. I want to get better and the only way to do that is to play. France is just around the corner and i want all of us going to be the best we can be before we go because i know whats waiting for us in cannes and its not the easter bunny, so we need to be ready.

:)

Aint that simple boss!

For travel/ work reasons we can only really do a Saturday and even then that just goes for the Dubliniar people. Getting to belfast would prob take the Athlone people a better part of a day...

If the guys wanted to host us for a day and do some rocky montage style training when I get back that would be both awesome and win for me myself, but it's not a simple matter of us just showing up on their doorstep :)

Aint that simple boss!

For travel/ work reasons we can only really do a Saturday and even then that just goes for the Dubliniar people. Getting to belfast would prob take the Athlone people a better part of a day...

If the guys wanted to host us for a day and do some rocky montage style training when I get back that would be both awesome and win for me myself, but it's not a simple matter of us just showing up on their doorstep :)

I do believe somebody was playig Eye Of The Tiger on rockband too so they could play it for us right? Set the atmosphere.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Dont suppose anyone filmed any of the matches? Sounds like there was some epic matches sloshing around up there.

Advertisement