Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragonslayers Ranking Battle 3.5 - SFIV - 06/02/10

Options
  • 02-02-2010 2:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

sf4logo.png

This tournament will be running as part of a Dragonslayers 24 event, see here for more information. Entry into Dragonslayers 24 is £8, it is required that all participants are over 18 years old although Dragonslayers club membership is not necessary for this event.

Date
    Saturday 6th February '10

Queen's Student Union, The Space, 1st Floor - click for directions!

Time
    - Casuals will be running all day from 1200
    - Tournament starts at 1900

Entry Fee
    £1, all proceedings will be donated to Child's Play at the end of the year.

Tournament Format
    Group qualifiers into an 8 man double elimination best of 3.

- Button binding is acceptable.
    - Participants are advised to bring a controller of choice.

Please see the 'slayers Ranking Battle homepage for any further details.

posted on behalf of mr_kyle

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Noooooo I'm heading to Germany on the Sunday morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Yaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy I'm not heading to Germany!

Can I propose one change to your format which I suggested to a few others last time. Only go best 3/5 if the Grand Final gets reset as the person who won Winners Final already has an advantage and then you're just giving that person a bigger advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Unfortunately I am going to Kilkenny for the weekend...with the girlfriend...wait did I say unfortunately? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I might be able to make this, what format is it played on out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Sisko wrote: »
    I might be able to make this, what format is it played on out of interest?

Xbox 360.

EDIT: Threw together a poster. I've had this idea for a while and I like how it turned out, even if I'm aware that not many people are going to get both references.

22046757.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

whos going to this?

I've still got twenty-odd pound from last time so I might head up.

I've still got twenty-odd pound from last time so I might head up.

Try not to be touting though.

Try not to be touting though.

Grrr and you owe me €20 which will pay for my bus fare.

Sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Can't head to this unfortunately. Have fun guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Red350

I'd love to go up for one of these tournies, but having to work Sunday mornings at 7 makes it pretty difficult...

Good luck to whoever's going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Alas I have heaps of college work to do this Saturday. Sorry lads~

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

I think i will go up to this, but whats the story, can we sleep there or what, because if the tournament is on late or goes on through the night it could be hard for people to get home, so staying there might be the only option.

whois going from the south?

Yeah if you get the chance you can kip there chunkis but bring ear plugs or something. Blaz Blue/ Marvel at 5 am is not conducive to sleep.

Also you have to beat my record of 4th place :D

I am going and plan on sleeping on one of the many comfy couches.

Think I'm going to get the bus from Busarus to get there for about one or two and play lots of casuals beforehand.

ill try :)

I am going and plan on sleeping on one of the many comfy couches.

Think I'm going to get the bus from Busarus to get there for about one or two and play lots of casuals beforehand.

Sounds good, i will look to get there about 3pm, chopper i wouldn`t get there too early because ive a feeling those guys wont show up until 4 or 5pm, there isn`t any hurry if we are there all night anyway.

chunkis wrote: »
    ill try will :)

Fixed your post. :)

You just need to get through :

Newtype (Best Ryu and possibly best player in their Scene)
    Cobelcog (new guy on the scene rush down total bastard cammy, nipping at Newtypes heels)
    Simon Lau (Bush style old school charge player, class act)
    Fake Roogle (Killer Rog, you can't make a mistake against him)
    Blag (Bison, top class and right up there with Azza, ST player)
    Yreval (rush down Sakura, nasty when he get's in close)
    Liquid swords (Fei long, uses FA like no one else i've seen)
    Malachy (recent Sagat pick, took down newtype at the last one )

There were a couple of nasty akumas who's names escape me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

Also, in case the SF4 players feel like a bit of a change, I'm wanting to run a little BlazBlue CT tourney after the SF4 ranbat is over to try and build a BB scene (we've got at least 2 or 3 proven good players up north here, but I wanna expand that if possible). Probably starting around midnight-ish.

Free entry, though if you're feeling generous just give some more cash to the usual RB Child's Play fund! I'll grab some small prize for the winners, like a box of sweets or whatever.

I'll likely not take part myself, but I'm more than happy to get any casuals in before/afterwards. I'm so out of practise and need the games before Showdown in May!

Rules:
    -Groups into double-elim, unless there are 8 or less players, in which case no groups
    -Groups will be seeded pretty much by me guessing player skill (way to be pro, Question Mark Mound!)
    -Character switching is allowed (just a promotional tourney for fun, plus to let people experiment)
    -Unlimited characters banned
    -Console Astrals likely won't be unlocked

Best of luck to anyone who can make it, and even better luck for SF4 since, y'know, people actually play that game! :P

Fixed your post. :)

You just need to get through :

Newtype (Best Ryu and possibly best player in their Scene)
    Cobelcog (new guy on the scene rush down total bastard cammy, nipping at Newtypes heels)
    Simon Lau (Bush style old school charge player, class act)
    Fake Roogle (Killer Rog, you can't make a mistake against him)
    Blag (Bison, top class and right up there with Azza, ST player)
    Yreval (rush down Sakura, nasty when he get's in close)
    Liquid swords (Fei long, uses FA like no one else i've seen)
    Malachy (recent Sagat pick, took down newtype at the last one )

There were a couple of nasty akumas who's names escape me too.

Thanks doom thats good to know, But ive been to belfast once before and played most of those guys, there all cool and all very good players.

Last time i was there i had a good run with my zangief, i got about 20 wins on mike and some others, so probably going to pick gief in the tournament since they all had trouble fighting geif, there is also lag on there tvs, so not looking forward to that. I also did quite well with blanka, but to be honest am just gonna counter pick the entire tournament lol, ive not played since i was at terrys and i don`t have a stick yet so am just gonna go with the flow, i want to do well though, and i will do my best :)

Mikes ryu is very good, he went 50/50 with my ryu last time we played, i can`t wait to play him again. Hes definitely got potential to be a top ryu in europe, but he doesn`t have the comp around him to make him as good as he could be, i can see why you guys rate him as one of the best players here, his punishment is almost as good as any ryu i played when i was in japan, but mike doesn`t have any solid basics to fall back on and his anti air dragon punch isnt as sharp as it should be for a ryu player, but hes got all the tools to become one of the best in europe if he works hard enough that is. I gave him a few tips last time so its gonna be interesting to see how much hes improved.

I am more worried about cammy and blanka and characters i don`t know about, i don`t have experience against a lot of characters, i played against cammy for the first time last week at terrys and i lost so not looking forward to cammy. And simons blanka is very good, he beat me 2-1 against my ryu last time i was in belfast, i don`t know how to fight against blanka, dispite having lots of blankas in london, i never really played the game a lot when i was there and never against blanka, infact ive never beat blanka before in a tournament, so that will be a big problem for me, maybe i can get some casuals in before the tournament and work people out :)

fei long yeah that wont be easy either, infact all the new console characters will give me trouble, i don`t know how to fight any of them, but after playing at terrys ive built up a lot confidence and if i am being honest they should be more worried about me :)

NEWTYPE( you gay japanese cross dresser) IF YOUR READING MAKE SURE YOUR READY!!! and as for corn on the cob...your gonna get roasted!

• Advertisement

Vyze wrote: »
    Also, in case the SF4 players feel like a bit of a change, I'm wanting to run a little BlazBlue CT tourney after the SF4 ranbat is over to try and build a BB scene (we've got at least 2 or 3 proven good players up north here, but I wanna expand that if possible). Probably starting around midnight-ish.

Free entry, though if you're feeling generous just give some more cash to the usual RB Child's Play fund! I'll grab some small prize for the winners, like a box of sweets or whatever.

I'll likely not take part myself, but I'm more than happy to get any casuals in before/afterwards. I'm so out of practise and need the games before Showdown in May!

Rules:
    -Groups into double-elim, unless there are 8 or less players, in which case no groups
    -Groups will be seeded pretty much by me guessing player skill (way to be pro, Question Mark Mound!)
    -Character switching is allowed (just a promotional tourney for fun, plus to let people experiment)
    -Unlimited characters banned
    -Console Astrals likely won't be unlocked

Best of luck to anyone who can make it, and even better luck for SF4 since, y'know, people actually play that game! :P

I might play, i played it once before, didn`t like it, much prefer guilty gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Why Midnight? I'd be up for this no questions but i don't wanna be the only guy from the REPUBLIC, left up NORTH, in BELFAST, after MIDNIGHT... seems dangerous. It depends on just how close the bus station is, if i can sprint there in 2 minutes i'd be grand, or if other Southeners stay until after midnight that'd work too, but no way am i staying up there alone past 8pm :P

Also Vyse look at my tournament results thread for those confirmed, might help with the seedings if any of us go up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Xinkai wrote: »
    Why Midnight?

Because it's a 24 hour event. The SFIV tourney only starts at 7 or 8.
    Anyone who goes up is going to be staying till the morning.

Last time i was there i had a good run with my zangief, i got about 20 wins on mike and some others, so probably going to pick gief in the tournament since they all had trouble fighting geif, there is also lag on there tvs, so not looking forward to that. I also did quite well with blanka, but to be honest am just gonna counter pick the entire tournament lol, ive not played since i was at terrys and i don`t have a stick yet so am just gonna go with the flow, i want to do well though, and i will do my best :)

Gief is a good general counter pick. They don't have a Dreddy (no offence mr_kyle!). for that matter, it was air throw christmas for me so I don't think they've a Guile either.
    anti air dragon punch isnt as sharp as it should be for a ryu player, but hes got all the tools to become one of the best in europe if he works hard enough that is. I gave him a few tips last time so its gonna be interesting to see how much hes improved.

Funny had a discussion about this with Dreddy, I think 4 has made people sloppy. You always know the SF2 shotos because they just bang out the AA DPs. Thus me never jumping when we fight :D

I am more worried about cammy and blanka and characters i don`t know about, i don`t have experience against a lot of characters, i played against cammy for the first time last week at terrys and i lost so not looking forward to cammy. And simons blanka is very good, he beat me 2-1 against my ryu last time i was in belfast, i don`t know how to fight against blanka, dispite having lots of blankas in london, i never really played the game a lot when i was there and never against blanka, infact ive never beat blanka before in a tournament, so that will be a big problem for me, maybe i can get some casuals in before the tournament and work people out :)

I think I only managed to take one from Cobelcog but I am convinced the secret is to slow him down and zone away. All his powers in rush down.

As for Blanka, he's a dick in 4. with Guile the trick is the FA up and rainbow balls as they don't armour break then punish. be very wary of projectiles from under 3/4 screen as you'll eat slide.
    fei long yeah that wont be easy either, infact all the new console characters will give me trouble, i don`t know how to fight any of them, but after playing at terrys ive built up a lot confidence and if i am being honest they should be more worried about me :)

Fei's alright if you can keep him away as his chicken wing takes about an hour. But be careful as he'll try to FA into rekkas and Liquid has the timing down to an art.

NEWTYPE( you gay japanese cross dresser) IF YOUR READING MAKE SURE YOUR READY!!! and as for corn on the cob...your gonna get roasted!
    [/QUOTE] HYPE!!!!!

(So sad I'm missing this, we made a good impression last time. it was great fun and we all got through, I'd love to be there for this one)

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

Xinkai wrote: »
    Why Midnight? I'd be up for this no questions but i don't wanna be the only guy from the REPUBLIC, left up NORTH, in BELFAST, after MIDNIGHT... seems dangerous. It depends on just how close the bus station is, if i can sprint there in 2 minutes i'd be grand, or if other Southeners stay until after midnight that'd work too, but no way am i staying up there alone past 8pm :P

Also Vyse look at my tournament results thread for those confirmed, might help with the seedings if any of us go up for it.
    Before SF4 everyone will be busy practising for that, so it needs to be after SF4. I dunno when SF will end but I won't be back at the venue 'til near midnight so I'm holding it then in the hope that people are staying all night!

I'll check out those tourney results and mix in the seeding of that with the players I know from up here. I'll try to split the southerners up too so you're not all just playing people you can play casually back home.

Also re: SF4. From the matches I've watched recently, the guys up here have levelled up their game since the last RB so you lot better hope that you all have too! ;)

Vyze wrote: »
    Also re: SF4. From the matches I've watched recently, the guys up here have levelled up their game since the last RB so you lot better hope that you all have too! ;)

HYPEHYPEHYPE Well our last RB I never had to struggle so much so, you know, they better have. HYPEHYPEHYPE

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Glad to hear you're coming up Chunkis, looking forward to a few games.I heard you play a bit of ST too so I can bring the Xbox version of Hyper SF2 for a few games if you'd be interested in that (I know,i t's a terrible version but it's most likely the only option)

Good to see Chopper returning too,hope a few more from Dublin can join you!

Bummer about Doom not making it, besides the merits of a good guile to play we'll be missing the Doomcam™! Same goes for Jim and his Cammy and the Jimcam!

blag wrote: »
    Glad to hear you're coming up Chunkis, looking forward to a few games.I heard you play a bit of ST too so I can bring the Xbox version of Hyper SF2 for a few games if you'd be interested in that (I know,i t's a terrible version but it's most likely the only option)

Bummer about Doom not making it, besides the merits of a good guile to play we'll be missing the Doomcam™! Same goes for Jim and his Cammy and the Jimcam!

Believe me, I wish I was able to come, I was looking forward to it immensely :(

Still always next time.

blag wrote: »

Yeah am down for some st, but the tvs last time i was in belfast had mega lag, are there any crts we can jack?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I won't be able to make this folks. Have to make a rare visit home to the family. Good luck to those travelling up from the south!

Advertisement