Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pixmania.ie - price error, can they charge more?

• 31-01-2010 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4225312...ay-player.html

See link. Pixmania.ie have a Philips Blu Ray player for €1.05 plus delivey. Obviously a mistake. If i order, can they chage my credit card the 'correct' price without my authorisation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ Sofia Defeated Value

No they can't but they can (and probably will) simply cancel the order and ask you to reorder at the correct price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Cheers - worth a try so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Let us know how you get on chief.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

they can't fulfil your order and charge you more but they don't have to sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

So anyone else got an update?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Got an email saying that my request for refund is being processed.

Not looking good.

Pretty crappy way for them to go about it. The least they could have done was send an email explaining that it was a misprice, they're sorry but they can't honour the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Yup, Basically they are doing what they do best, Having rubish customer service. HATE Pixmania with a passion

any bodyr going to ring them to complain or talk to ur local news station about it?

Im working outside ireland at the mo so i cant. i havent received that email yet though.

iknorr wrote: »
    any bodyr going to ring them to complain or talk to ur local news station about it?

Im working outside ireland at the mo so i cant. i havent received that email yet though.

I seriously hope not. TBH nobody is gonna support you. When you were buying you clearly knew it was a mistake!
    Are you seriously hopeful that your gonna get the player at this price...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Well their own terms and conditions state they will honour the price when you placed the order

4. PricesThe prices indicated on the Site are in Euros and include all taxes but do not include delivery.The possible delivery costs are indicated for the User as products are chosen and are invoiced at the end of the order in addition to the price of the products. We reserve the right to modify our prices at any time but will apply the current rates as indicated to you on the site at the time the order was placed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

When aer Lingus made a mess of their on line ticketing a while ago, didnt the hulabaloo caused by callers to joe duffy show make them honour their mistake and flying them to the us for the cheap price,albeit not 1st class,
    and i bet all those passengers knew the fare was way to low to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Rodg3

Still in limbo on this end. Paid by Lazer, was confirmed and ready to ship but his with the out of stck message. Haven't heard a thing from them since though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭The Oggmonster

When I log into Pixmania it says my order has been validated.

This is on their FAQs:
    What happens if the price of the product changes between my placing an order and receiving the goods?

Once your order and payment have been validated, we cannot modify the price of the product you have ordered, whether there is a decrease or increase in the price of the product. If, however, your order hasn't been validated, you may cancel it and place a new order in order to obtain the new, lower price.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭privateBeavis

ok, just been watching "D'ont Get Screwed" on BBC3 all about consumer issues, they set up little scenario's on the unknowning public and look at what are their rights are. One of setups was a shop with a £175 iPod marked as £17.50 and after the guy paid for it they set up the door alarm to go off on this way out so the manager "noticed". So after lots of arguing they gave him a credit note for £17.50 then asked the question what was his rights actually... and the answer is once the store accepts the payment for the item a contract has been entered and the customer then owns the product so can't be taken back!
    So I'm not sure how this compares to online shopping but could argue that once pixmania accepted the cash it was tough luck to them, perhaps they're getting around their mistake by now saying the product is "now unavailable" and offering refunds based on that other terms stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

When I log into Pixmania it says my order has been validated.

This is on their FAQs:
    IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Well their own terms and conditions state they will honour the price when you placed the order

4. PricesThe prices indicated on the Site are in Euros and include all taxes but do not include delivery.The possible delivery costs are indicated for the User as products are chosen and are invoiced at the end of the order in addition to the price of the products. We reserve the right to modify our prices at any time but will apply the current rates as indicated to you on the site at the time the order was placed.

Surely with the above taken into account they would be in some way obliged to honour the orders. I saw their ad which was "an invitation to treat", I made the offer of their asking price which they accepted (paypal payment). Pretty basic breakdown but would that not have the basis of a legally binding contract

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Things are not so clear cut in the online world as in bricks & mortar shops.

If a physical shop misprices an item, you pay and they accept, then someone actually physically approved the transaction on the shops behalf. It's therefore a little harder to them to state that it was a pricing error.

However, in the online world, a transaction can be made with no human intervention - therefore it's quite possible that an online store can accept payment without realising that they've made an error. This is why some T&Cs from online stores state that the contract isn't complete until they've shipped the goods. This protects them in the case of incorrect pricing.

TBH though, if you see such a blatant error on an online shop, I do think that you're being greedy by expecting it to be honoured.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

idk i oredered 2 of em :) sure ill argue with them for a bit if they try to refund me or ask me for a full price :) was worth a shot...its not like every1 who bought it was expecting the item 100% :) though some eejits ordering 7 or 10 of them can be expecting a no :) some ppl apparently got accepted...lets hope every1 else does 2 :) cause it wouldn't be fair on others would it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

i would have accepted an email saying "we f-ed up, sorry, heres your refund" but the way they are trying to do it by saying that I requested the refund is a disgrace. shabby company and downright liars.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭aidannulty

is there any way a Moderator can put a link or something from the orignal posting in Bargain Alerts about this issue. I was one of the people who ordered this item, but it took me ages to find this section where the discussion will continue. I am sure everyone else who purchased this item will want to keep up to date with other peoples sales progression.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I ordered one last night, but after seeing this article (it's French law, so it's a lot more relevent) I'm very skeptical about receiving my blu ray player.

"Once your order and payment have been validated, we cannot modify the price of the product you have ordered, whether there is a decrease or increase in the price of the product. If, however, your order hasn't been validated, you may cancel it and place a new order in order to obtain the new, lower price.
    "

Unfortunately my order hadn't been validated, but this is a good thing for people whose orders have been validated.

"The prices indicated on the Site are in Euros and include all taxes but do not include delivery.The possible delivery costs are indicated for the User as products are chosen and are invoiced at the end of the order in addition to the price of the products. We reserve the right to modify our prices at any time but will apply the current rates as indicated to you on the site at the time the order was placed."

This seems a lot more hopeful. Though how binding are the terms and conditions? If I agreed to them is it implied that the website agreed to them also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Dear Lindtee,

We wish to inform you that your refund request for order XXXXXXXXXXX is currently being processed.
    You will receive a confirmation by email shortly.

Best Regards,

felix.gif
    James Felix
    Customer Service Director
    trait.gif
    Ok, it was a 1,000,000 to 1 chance that the order was going to be honoured but why can't they just tell the truth:rolleyes::mad:

when they receive the money, the contract is made. With paypal they receive the money instantly. With Credit card, they dont take the money until the item is being dispatched- or when they say at what stage they take it.

So if you paid with paypal you have a case against them. Now if all of us here express this to them over the phone and then write a letter. ( we can make a general template up) im sure we can get somewhere with it. We can easily get this into the small claims court. it will cost Pixmania alot more to go this route rather than just give us the item at the specified price.

has anyone contacted the consumer affairs groups yet?

Remember, they probably receive this at half the price they advertise it. They can also write this off against tax. So overall they wont be loosing much money . now compare that to the time spent by a lawyer to defend a case?

lindtee wrote: »
    Ok, it was a 1,000,000 to 1 chance that the order was going to be honoured but why can't they just tell the truth:rolleyes::mad:

tell them u dont want a refund and put up a fight. They are not admitting it as they know they are caught.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I think that people are getting a bit worked up and over-the-top about this.

I strongly doubt that anyone ordered this in the belief that it was the actual price.

We all ordered it for the laugh on the off-chance that somehow we'd pull it off and be proud possessors of a bluray player for a euro.

It's not going to happen. Pixmania made an error and aren't going to be pressurised into anything.

Talk about Joe Duffy is laughable - "pff , we pizzz on your Joe Duffy, zut alors ..." , talk about Small Claims Court is senseless and just clogs up the whole thing for people who have a genuine grievance.

It was fun while it lasted but accept it as what it was - a punt on a blueray where if you didn't win you got your money back.

parsi wrote: »
    I think that people are getting a bit worked up and over-the-top about this.

I strongly doubt that anyone ordered this in the belief that it was the actual price.

We all ordered it for the laugh on the off-chance that somehow we'd pull it off and be proud possessors of a bluray player for a euro.

It's not going to happen. Pixmania made an error and aren't going to be pressurised into anything.

Talk about Joe Duffy is laughable - "pff , we pizzz on your Joe Duffy, zut alors ..." , talk about Small Claims Court is senseless and just clogs up the whole thing for people who have a genuine grievance.

It was fun while it lasted but accept it as what it was - a punt on a blueray where if you didn't win you got your money back.

I "currently" disagree, if you paid by paypal you do have a case.

At this stage I do need some verification so I have contacted "consumer complaints" in Ireland. Ill wait to see what they say.

heres the link to the submit a complaint via website. It simple and shouldn't take 5 mins to do.

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Working_With_You/Submit_a_Consumer_Complaint/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Blisterman wrote: »
    Got an email saying that my request for refund is being processed.

Not looking good.

Pretty crappy way for them to go about it. The least they could have done was send an email explaining that it was a misprice, they're sorry but they can't honour the order.

If they wanted to be really pernickity about it, they could accuse you of attempted fraud :D as you knew it was a wrong price (as per your OP) and you tried to take advantage of it.

It won't happen, probably never has, but it would be possible for the tables to be turned.

91011 wrote: »
    If they wanted to be really pernickity about it, they could accuse you of attempted fraud :D as you knew it was a wrong price (as per your OP) and you tried to take advantage of it.

It won't happen, probably never has, but it would be possible for the tables to be turned.

Its not fraud at all. There was an advert saying that it was a euro on their site so we went and bought it. How is that fraud? :rolleyes:

In no way whatsoever is the consumer at fault here!!!

Hogzy wrote: »
    Its not fraud at all. There was an advert saying that it was a euro on their site so we went and bought it. How is that fraud? :rolleyes:
    I agree, its not fraud.

if they say they have made a mistake they are admitting liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Try1ng

Has anybody else not received a sorry email from pixmania? My order has passed validation but i'm expecting the email any time now.

• Advertisement

I just got my refund email. Sent pixmania an email pointing out how they are legally obliged to fulfill this order. Im defo gonna get on to consumer complaints about this. According to their terms and conditions they cannot cancel the orders and have to fulfill them!

Advertisement