Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exam Timetable MONDAY EXAMS CANCELLED!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭GismoBaby

loca1 wrote: »
    I hope it goes ahead on Monday its going to be a nightmare I think trying to get sorted the primary schools are meant to be open on Monday but if they cancel I have to arrange childcare grrr go away snow please.

Doesnt look like its going anywhere mind you im stranded today which should mean I study more but no I just doss more.

damn! schools closed till thursday... have exams mon wed n fri and had planned to study tuesday and thursday.... not looking likely if there closing the schools else it'll cost me a small fortune to send them to creche everyday all day! stupid F-ing country. there are countries all over the world who get snow every year and they dont go to a complete STANDSTILL. never have happened in my day i tell ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Mate of mine(who isn't in the college) said he heard on highland they were cancelled.

He may have been getting it confused with how yesterday and todays exams were cancelled.

But then he said no definitely the ones next week.
    Think he just trying to trick me into heading out on the beer!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Paul Hannigan has refused to cancel the exams. Students are sending emails to him to express their displeasure at his lack of concern for the students. The paper and radio have apparently caught on to the story too and are not pleased.

ah for gods sake its just snow! thats what happens in winter! its not Paul H's fault the government are useless at doing there job. how hard can it be to get some SALT! i really dont want to wait till aug to do any exams cos i will forget everything and theres no help over the summer.... i will fail if that happens!

Well of course he won't want to cancel them...

They should be trying to persuade him to move the exams to the last week in Jan!!
    We are still all going to be off that week so makes sense.
    Plus weather should have improved by then *crosses fingers*

GismoBaby wrote: »
    ah for gods sake its just snow! thats what happens in winter! its not Paul H's fault the government are useless at doing there job. how hard can it be to get some SALT! i really dont want to wait till aug to do any exams cos i will forget everything and theres no help over the summer.... i will fail if that happens!

I had a totally long thing written out there but I'm going over to the ranting and raving forum again!!!

You could never fail and you know it! You are doing really well! :)

There is still the option of the last week in Jan.
    He could consider it.

oh ya i wouldnt mind that! just dont want them cancelled till august! you'd be surprised how much you forget! had to repeat a whole class the last time cos i failed a jan exam and was meant to repeat in aug but could remember feck al...programing too so not a great one to have to repeat!

Its just snow if you are living near the town,anywhere out of town the roads are dangerous. Alot of people wont be able to make it in and therefore they will have to resit in August.

I cannot understand why they cannot put them off till the last week in January,as we are off anyway.Its so stupid tbh expecting people to travel in that weather.

The IT saw it fit to give their staff the weekend off as it is too dangerous to travel,yet when the conditions are to get worse its fine to make students travel.

i live a couple miles outside lk so i know all about it! my estate has cars piled up left right and centre for a few days there cos the road was so slippy the cars couldnt move! taxi men wouldnt even drive into my estate had walk in from the enterance and there chancy f-ers at the best of times!! hehe!! but thank god it snowed again and we can move now! i agree totally to them being postponed but not cancelled to august! GO AWAY SNOW I HATE U! remember when we'd wake up and get a snow day from school and then be raging cos the next day it'd be gone! ah the good ole days!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

ok everyone chill out!!!

pun intended! :p

i know its a snowey situation, but lets not jump to conclusions. regardless of who heard what on the radio lets try keep the "i heard this from so and so" to a minimium.

until we get definate confirmation that exams are cancelled, all exams are on until further notice.

a lot of people read this forum, and might get the wrong impression wether they are going ahead or not.

until further notice all exams are scheduled for monday onwards as normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gizzo123

Have to travel by car to Donegal from Kerry to do exams.
    Should I go today? Very worried bout conditions and safety!

What do you think?:( Gizzo

gizzo123 wrote: »
    Have to travel by car to Donegal from Kerry to do exams.
    Should I go today? Very worried bout conditions and safety!

What do you think?:( Gizzo

Terrible snow here today and many roads are not being gritted. It would be very dangerous. Keep a check on highland radio for updates on the situation.

exams for monday 11th are now cancelled.

they are re-scheduled for saturday 16th of janurary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭TokenWhite

Yep, so I've read, monday exams postponed but absolutely no mention of the tuesday exams in the email so I'm assuming they will go ahead as scheduled.Suppose I could live with that since it's only accounting but I wait in hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ghostrider81

Surely if mondays is cancelled they cannot go ahead with tuesdays,wednesdays...etc the weather conditions will still be the same cant see it disappearing overnight. I think they should rearrange the exams for the week after and stop messing about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Email said it would be reviewed on a day to day basis, and to expect an email on Monday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Had to laugh at the email..'due to the sudden deteriation of the weather conditions'

Really is a mess the way theyve been handeling this, we have a week off afterwards, wouldnt it be so much easier to just rearrange the entire week for that week?

A friend of mine went back this morning, travelling through Meenaroy which was described as impassable on Highland, he now has to make the same journey back home again this evening, ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

is there a petition to have them rescheduled for the end of the month on Facebook yet? doubt it will affect much but could show the concern of the students and what we would prefer for the timetabling?? theres 3600 students and id say least 50% would be on facebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

I think its a sensible enough approach to say they will give day to day updates. People are getting 2 days notice about mondays exams, we will find out monday morning about tuesdays exams.

The majority of students in LYIT are from donegal and surrounding counties, the councils are meant to be receiving more salt over the weekend so if the roads are treated on monday things should be ok for tuesday morning. Id prefer to think I have an exam on tuesday otherwise Id do nothing for the rest of the day. We could also end up having to sit exams back to back with little time to study in between if the weather dosent improve a little by next week, so Im continuing to think the exams are going ahead as scheduled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yeah but the annoying think is that they knew yesterday what the weather was like yet they sent an email saying Monday would definitely go ahead. People travel back to the town only to find out theyre actually cancelled because of a sudden change in the weather which is nonsense

The guy I mentioned above is now stuck in the town until Monday and Im sure theres plenty more in the same position

• Advertisement

Trish2007 wrote: »
    The majority of students in LYIT are from donegal and surrounding counties, the councils are meant to be receiving more salt over the weekend so if the roads are treated on monday things should be ok for tuesday morning.

Only problem is they are doing main roads daily but not back roads which is where alot of people are trapped. :(

Biggest problem im sure we are all facing at the moment is how to schedule our timetable for studing. I mean i dunno which exam i have first anymor and in what order they are so its very hard to study effectively. The only thing i know is i dont have physics and comms/ it first anymore. Pure balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

Im sticking to the same study plan. My first exam is on tuesday. If it is cancelled it will be scheduled for either sunday 17th or the 23rd, as all other dates already have exams scheduled. Hoping it wont be 17th though as I have exam on 18th. But if tuesday is cancelled Ill just start studying for thursday exam on tuesday morning and just take it day by day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Sorry to off-topic a bit, but some of ye may not realise how dangerous it can be getting into the LYIT. Here's a post about something that happened in Feb.2009. Traditionally, February is always worse for snow than January!

Anyone going in next week for exams, needs to be very careful, even on LYIT grounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

mrmac wrote: »
    Sorry to off-topic a bit, but some of ye may not realise how dangerous it can be getting into the LYIT. Here's a post about something that happened in Feb.2009. Traditionally, February is always worse for snow than January!

Anyone going in next week for exams, needs to be very careful, even on LYIT grounds.
    Couldnt help but notice someone say, "the lorry was delivering to the college" and by jaysus did he deliver to the back of the college!:eek::rolleyes::D

mrmac wrote: »

Yeah that is the other thing.
    Fair enough trying to get there by car and not smashing...

It's going to be the walking that will need to be seriously watched.
    Everybody has seen what happened to that poor lad in Dublin on the RTE news :eek:

Everyone needs to walk VERY slowly on the ice/snow.

Ive seen somewhere else that if u put some socks on OVER your shoes then walkin on the ice isnt a problem. haha i know it works but i would LOVE to see someone strollin in next week wit socks over the shoes haha,
    :D:D:D

theboss80 wrote: »
    Ive seen somewhere else that if u put some socks on OVER your shoes then walkin on the ice isnt a problem. haha i know it works but i would LOVE to see someone strollin in next week wit socks over the shoes haha,
    :D:D:D

Hmmmm break my arse/face/elbow/neck while walking normal on ice

OR

Look "silly" to random strangers by wearing socks over your runners and suffer no broken bones/death

SILLY all the waaaaaaaaaaay!! :D:D:D:D:D

Any excuse to be silly :p

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Hmmmm break my arse

Nice, then you wouldnt have to SIT the exams, mmmwaahahahahaha:D:D

Buuzzzzzinga

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Yup we know, cheers :D

Now just have to wait and see about Tuesday and Wednesday...
    Check emails tomorrow morning folks!

i have to say they put a lot of thought into scheduling an exam on a saturday... dont they know creches dont open on saturdays... clever!

Doesn't matter what days they choose to reschedule, they are never going to please everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭loca1

I have to get my children minded its only 2 hours though 3 at most bit of time before and after. You will find someone just pay hourly rate cheaper than a full day.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭loca1

gismobaby what time is your exam? Mines is first thing if you are stuck for a childminder and your exam is in the afternoon I could look after your child/children live near enough to college and have 2 little ones of my own doing the child health n education degree so plenty of experience. Dont be afraid to pm me

Loca1 - PM you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I got an email today saying exams after todays rescheduled ones are going ahead as planned. Unix test tomorrow :(

Delighted that its going ahead, last thing I need is for 3-4 exams to be crammed together, this gives a bit of breathing space

Anybody in exams today? can you tell me what conditions in carparks were like? ive my first exam at 12.30 tomm and wondering are they still dangerous? and are they full up like a normal day?

• Advertisement

TokenWhite wrote: »
    Delighted that its going ahead, last thing I need is for 3-4 exams to be crammed together, this gives a bit of breathing space

Lucky you, ive and exam tomm, thurs and friday

ive got 1 tomorrow, friday, saturday!, and the following thursday.

not too bad except it ruined my holiday :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

theboss80 wrote: »
    Anybody in exams today? can you tell me what conditions in carparks were like? ive my first exam at 12.30 tomm and wondering are they still dangerous? and are they full up like a normal day?

Car park is grand here today. Still the odd icy patch so walk carefully. Car park was full to capacity at 10.30 this morning allthough the far right car park next to Donegal tiles was closed.

Advertisement