Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Total whiteout here. Still falling..

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭diamondgirl

very heavy snow in lucan again, looks like a blizzard outside. Garden table looks like a couple on inches of snow on it now. lol be diggin my way out in the mornin. :):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

going by the latest radar i might just get a flake or 2 here in the west from the irish sea showers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

loads and loads of snow in saggart easily another 5cm and still snowing i was watching it accumulate outside my door got a bity scary

anyway i have taken loads of pics on my new camera so i will try and upload them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

2qk4u wrote: »
    Just went outside for a look, its cold and frosty with clear sky and you can see the stars. :mad:

Tits Mc Gee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

acia wrote: »
    Starting to snow in navan, at long last :)

Isolated periphery yoke though won't amount to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭jk86

Fecking hell. Seems like everywhere in Dublin has snow except here (Ballinteer) :mad:

...well, except for all the stuff from this morning :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Bucketing down fine grains of snow in Dublin 13 now!! It's like a fog it so thick

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭dannyboymed

This is is the situation in Clondalkin/Lucan right about now, and also my first post!
    Thanks to all posting useful updates, I've been watching the weather threads for the last few days now :D
    :cool:

4260138619_4526f5c85e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39 acia

Must've been a passing cloud cos its stopped now in navan.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

snowing again!! on and off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Stopped here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Dublin 6

10 minutes ago. Same pic with and without flash
    DSC01171.JPG

DSC01170.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭jk86

...and just as I post that buckets start falling from the sky :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

anoble66 wrote: »
    latest BBC UK forecast vid.....blizzards tomorrow so

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

I'm loving that forecast:D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Elnin09

Lads are you sure this ''snow event'' hasnt arrived early, Id say there is easily 3-4 inches of snow in leixlip now. Unbelievable met eireann hardly forecast this tonight :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭jds0ur

Big flakes are gone here (booterstown) gettin very dusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

yet again it seems the unexpected snow could deliver the most accumulations

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Absolutely pelting down here in Ballyfermot now :D
    Happy Days :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

malman wrote: »
    Isolated periphery yoke though won't amount to much.

Its stopped now anyway :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

This is is the situation in Clondalkin/Lucan right about now, and also my first post!
    Thanks to all posting useful updates, I've been watching the weather threads for the last few days now :D
    :cool:

Very nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kopijacked

Dublin 3 is still going strong, nearly coming up to the balcony door now!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭carnsoreboxer

ragg wrote: »
    Absolute snow fest - imagine 28 years ago - they didn't have the internet to talk about it on, what did they do?

Funny we managed but I do remember no grit then either and snow ploughs were eventually ordered that arrived 6 weeks later - wonder where they are now! Difference then it was a total blizzard, we had just bought a new house and went out to check it to discover the residents had to dig a passage through the snow to get into the cul de sac.

On a more serious note, my other halfs aunt died, they had the funeral, brought her to Glasnevin where the grave diggers said they were unable to open the grave so she was kept there for a few days until the ground thawed. Haven't heard of stories like that this time, maybe everyone is just being cremated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I want this..!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

There's something really bizarre going on here with the winds in my part of Terenure. At last had 5 minutes of heavy snow. But I have spent 5 minutes watching snow blasting in two completely different directions. 100 yards to the north the clouds of snow were going in an east to west direction, but the snow dumping into the garden was going in a south to north direction, so I've been watching snow in the foreground coming down at exactly right angles to snow coming down 100 yards away. And it all started with the East to West snow blasting completely horizontally over the area at street lamp height and nothing actually falling below that except a few flakes, and I suspect thats is what has been happening the whole evening, the snow has been blowing horizontally over the area at height without falling, and some sort of temporary wind change knocked it down for a short while. It only started dumping into the garden from the south when the east to west flow to the north started travelling downwards at a 45 degree angle. Then when the East to West stuff went back to travelling horizontally, the snow from the south stopped dumping into the garden and went back to the few scattered snow flakes. And actually, earlier in the evening I noticed to the south the clouds were travelling from the south to the north, and to the north the clouds were travelling from the East to the West, which matches the way the snow fell. And there's no big hill or mountains around here in the immediate area. I think whats hppening here is that there is a strong Easterly wind being deflected at an altitude over south Dublin by the Dublin/Wicklow mountains so that the weather is literally being blown straight over Terenure, and I may well be right on the edge of that effect. As well as very little snow here, it has also been calm here all evening, so I was very surpised to see the speed at which the snow which was travelling East to West to the South was travelling at, it looked like it was blowing a storm, but it was actually calm where I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

Cabra about ten minutes ago-snowing again now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Pistolpetes if it gets really bad up here and you need your elderly relitives in Glenasmole looked in on or anything brought up to them give me a shout. I'M less than a mile away and have access to a 4x4 and a quad, so access is not a problem.

Not a name you'd want to misspell or pronounce badly.:D

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

acia wrote: »
    Must've been a passing cloud cos its stopped now in navan.:mad:

Idont know what Navan you guys are in but nothing happening in my Navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

dolliemix wrote: »
    Dublin 6

10 minutes ago. Same pic with and without flash
    DSC01171.JPG

DSC01170.JPG

Nice shed.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭jds0ur

I spoke to soon, massive flakes again:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement