Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Never seen this in Dublin city centre before. Consistent top quality snowfall for the last 30-40 mins. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

pp_me129 wrote: »
    Kilcohan.

It Was A Very Small Flurrie, But Now All The Boardsies Know, God.
    They Didnt Need To Hear How Pathetic We Are..

Think it was about 12 flakes :( I counted them ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Snowman10

Mech1 wrote: »
    FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Pangea wrote: »
    The snow is old news ,didnt you know we have moved on to earthquakes :P

Earthquake in Donegal

AN EARTHQUAKE measuring 1.6 on the Richter scale struck Donegal on Thursday night.

The minor tremor struck at 7.30pm, with the epicentre located at Bridgend in the south of the Inishowen peninsula, the School of Cosmic Physics at the Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies confirmed yesterday.

The tremor was felt in Bridgend and Buncrana in Inishowen and westwards across Lough Swilly in the Fanad peninsula.

A number of people fled their homes in the village of Kerrykeel, fearing the worst before they realised the threat had passed.

Shop assistant Teresa Gillespie (26) was with her parents at their home in Desertegney, 9km from Buncrana, when they were disturbed by what sounded like “a really loud rattle of thunder”.

“It was a big rattle and it lasted a couple of minutes. It started in one place and seemed to roll along Lough Swilly,” Ms Gillespie said. She said they knew it couldn’t be thunder because there was no lightning and the night was clear.

Dr Thomas Blake of the School of Cosmic Physics said a number of people in Donegal had already filled in an online questionnaire on the institute’s website outlining details of the incident.

He said Donegal was one of the counties most at risk of earthquakes in Ireland due to several fault-lines extending from Scotland to north Donegal. Thursday evening’s tremor was picked up by all the seismic recording stations in Northern Ireland and Scotland.

“North Donegal and from Wexford across the Irish Sea are the areas most likely to be associated with earthquakes in Ireland,” Dr Blake added.

Anyone who experienced this week’s tremor is invited to fill in the questionnaire on the institute’s website www.dias.ie.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0109/1224261976932.html

Yeah.. pfffft everyone and anyone can get snow... i'll take your snow and raise you an earthquake ..pffft ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

zAbbo wrote: »
    Snowing here in Dundalk

IMG_0733_1.jpg

you think you'd mow your grass

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

Anyone know what the road between Gort and Loughrea is like.

I'm right beside it, drove from Peterswell to Gort at 6pm this evening, no snow or ice on the road and it looked like it had been gritted today. but in any case drive slowly as i'm sure you do anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

zAbbo wrote: »
    Snowing here in Dundalk

IMG_0733_1.jpg
    Nice peers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Yet again plenty of showers making it well inland according to the radar, slowly approaching the west of Ireland. Certainly not RTE thought would occur when they said the showers would quickly die out over coastal areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wayne2107

Dame St traffic cam... LOL.

Site0Camera21.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39 acia

Starting to snow in navan, at long last :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Some pics just taken in swords

Bear in mind that car was clear of snow 2hrs ago.

The mutt loved it galloping around big white cloud behind him from the snow he kicked up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

bryaner wrote: »
    Lol here's your Navan buddy seconding your feelings
    Just went outside for a look, its cold and frosty with clear sky and you can see the stars. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

Even moar snow in Clondalkin, huge flakes this time:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

latest BBC UK forecast vid.....blizzards tomorrow so

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

acia wrote: »

Where?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Aidric wrote: »
    Nice peers.

You can't see but there's a burst mains running from in front of the drive which will leave a nice slippery entrance ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

At this rate Dublin will be like "The Day After Tomorrow" soon :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 39 acia

Defcol wrote: »
    Where?:confused:
    Windtown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

acia wrote: »

No its not :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

i think my sheds going to collapse with the weight of the snow...!!! :(:D

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭carnsoreboxer

Rougies wrote: »
    You're just getting unlucky, that shower must have missed you by only about 2 miles
    I reckon the next round will hit you

I'm at Rathfarnham Shopping Centre has been snowing very heavy for hours now. My other half is supposed to be on a flight at midday tomorrow!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭boy_wonder

irishdub14 wrote: »
    i think my sheds going to collapse with the weight of the snow...!!! :(:D

Tis great...never seen this so close to the sea!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Snowstor you said that the precip (for late tonight/tomorrow) was beginning to come towards the south/east but i can't see much on ME radar:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cantonesque

The wife will kill me for letting the cold in but in the interest of the common good this is what is chucking down in Lucan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 oldmillgal

Snowing in Carlow... light but steady

• Registered Users Posts: 16,698 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

irish1967 wrote: »
    Yeah.. pfffft everyone and anyone can get snow... i'll take your snow and raise you an earthquake ..pffft ;)

i reckon pangea paid someone to write this article. he can't abide the focus being taken off Donegal:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Trotter wrote: »
    Watercork.. See.. Cork cant do teamwork. People's snowy republic and all that s**te :D

cork can't do teamwork?! ironic coming from waterford!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Just started to now in Navan. Vey light stuff though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Is this train of precipitation likely to last much longer?

I guess there must be a fair bit of instability to cause this length of 'train' already.

It's crazy seeing this constant stretch of precip right across the irish sea, steady for the last couple of hours (at least).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement