Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lough frozen solid !

Options
  • 08-01-2010 7:00pm

Was speaking to Dad on the phone before I left Galway earlier, he was telling me that the Lough was frozen so hard there was loads and loads of people walking on it, I'm 29 and can just about remember the last time it was frozen. Excuse the shocking pics but I am no photographer :)

2009_0319Prelude_clean0011.jpg

2009_0319Prelude_clean0012.jpg

Everyone was taking pics of this dude, good to see one still about after so many died during the summer, he enjoyed the attention, Swan Cruise he said his name was :D

2009_0319Prelude_clean0006.jpg

One of the sister's dog in one of her moods :rolleyes: No way would she face the camera for me, this photo is called "Fifi on ice".

2009_0319Prelude_clean0009.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The ice isn't that thick, only just over an inch so it's not the safest, especially for some of our fatter citizens out there. One guy has already gone in today and another went in 3 or 4 days ago - it went from him just at the edge, after getting out he collapsed and threw up all over the place with the shock.

Oh I agree, I wasn't using frozen solid in the literal sense, it's more than an inch today though, the Council broke a portion to allow the birds have access to the water, it's over 2 inches thick there. I'm over 15 stone and there was no way I was chancing it. Today there was absolutely 100s of people on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I just heard there's a JCB up there now, breaking the ice to stop people going out onto it.

deRanged wrote: »
    I just heard there's a JCB up there now, breaking the ice to stop people going out onto it.

Quite likely, the Guards were there before tea time asking people to come off it, there was some lads in the crib too which isn't on either. Safer for the birds too if people/dogs can't get out to the island. Folks have had their fun now.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

And they stole baby Jesus from the crib!

• Advertisement

dewdrop wrote: »
    And they stole baby Jesus from the crib!

and he was later found "embedded in the snow and ice" :)
    undamaged though, which is good.

Yep, just had a peak out the door, chap in a JCB working away, he'll be at it a while doing the entire circumference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

deRanged wrote: »

Sad we have to protect people from themselves to this degree, It just opens the door wider to the compo culture.

Had a look while the ice was being broken just now, it's about 4 inches thick.

there's a pond out by us, I'd say it's two feet deep. it's frozen over.
    my dad was just telling me there were kids on it today, one of whom was trying to smash the ice with a rock. at his feet
    so much for our knowledge economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Emergency Cork beers on ice tonight, it'd add an interesting dynamic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭beer enigma

There was a woman pushing a pram across it earlier today :eek:

Its probably fairly deep towards the middle ? Any ideas how deep ?

Andip wrote: »
    There was a woman pushing a pram across it earlier today :eek:

Its probably fairly deep towards the middle ? Any ideas how deep ?

Apparently 6 foot is the deepest it is but it doesn't get gradually deeper from the outside edge in if you know what I mean. Can be 4 foot deep then 6 foot deep next to it. I saw a young lad cycling across it too today on a mountain bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

The frozen Lough even made the BBC website. Check out the 2nd last pic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/8446490.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

Leeside wrote: »
    The frozen Lough even made the BBC website. Check out the 2nd last pic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/8446490.stm

_47067617_ireland_frank.jpg

I heard the lad that went in today was trying to get his dog? I know the lad is safe - did the dog make it out?

Yep, my Dad saw it happen, he was speaking to the chap afterwards, dog and dude were ok. About an hour later though another chap went in as well, fire brigade ambulance etc all called, he was taken away in the ambulance covered in the tin foil stuff according to a neighbour.

the examiner mentions that a couple of people went through the ice yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Wow!! I just saw your comment on the other thread OP and then saw everything here! Great pics but frightening! There's no way I'd walk out on it!! Was showing the guys in work and the first thing said was "Imagine falling in!" Remember those films where someone falls in and then can't get back out cause they are trapped UNDER the ice!!!

Very sad about the people that have fallen in. Idiot kids selling the crib. It's ridiculous that the council have to save us from ourselves...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,931 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

You think the lough frozen solid is impressive?
    This a proper lake 3 miles from my parents house in Meath!
    Frozen solid

LoughRamor.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Funsies

Pure gob****es the lot of them for sending out the JCB and ruining everyone's fun. ****ing nanny state with their 'think of the children' bull****. nobody is allowed to think for themselves anymore, every decision has to be made for them by the council/government.

i hope teh bureaucrats who sent out the lad with the JCB fall into a river and freeze to death and the guy driving the JCB falls off a cliff.

what a ****ing boring world we live in, finally we get something out of the ordinary, a bit of ice and these office dwellers at the council go out of their way to send out this ****er with his JCB to ruin it for everyone in case of some unlikely disaster scenario they thought up involving children actually happens.

but these ****ers working for the council have been stuck inside the office for too long, have no clue about reality at all - these are the same ****heads that don't even change their own lightbulbs because they actually believe it would be better if a Qualified Electrician with all the most recent certificates does it for them.

• Advertisement

Do you have any cop on?
    it would probablly take someone falling in and drowning to make you realise how dangerous it actually is. at that point it is too late
    I can understand how you feel that they are ruining your fun, but I have to agree with them.
    People have fallen in already, one was taken to hospital.
    If it was left as it was someone else would have fallen in and likley could have had a worse outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭tictac2580

Funsies wrote: »
    Pure gob****es the lot of them for sending out the JCB and ruining everyone's fun. ****ing nanny state with their 'think of the children' bull****. nobody is allowed to think for themselves anymore, every decision has to be made for them by the council/government.

i hope teh bureaucrats who sent out the lad with the JCB fall into a river and freeze to death and the guy driving the JCB falls off a cliff.

what a ****ing boring world we live in, finally we get something out of the ordinary, a bit of ice and these office dwellers at the council go out of their way to send out this ****er with his JCB to ruin it for everyone in case of some unlikely disaster scenario they thought up involving children actually happens.

but these ****ers working for the council have been stuck inside the office for too long, have no clue about reality at all - these are the same ****heads that don't even change their own lightbulbs because they actually believe it would be better if a Qualified Electrician with all the most recent certificates does it for them.

I'm going to hope you're joking...because you're just another one of those brain-dead idiots otherwise....ruining your fun...what are you...five!...I'm sure theres plenty of "fun" activities you can do other than risk your life and waste the time of the garda and ambulance crews that are called out to save the likes of you..:mad:

When I saw the Lough frozen my initial concerns were for the wildlife, the ice was allowing people (some sh1theads no doubt) and dogs access to the island where the ducks, geese and whatever swans that are left live. I am no expert in wildlife but in a couple of months the birds are all seen parading about with their new families so perhaps there are eggs in nests out there (only a presumption but I think ducks & geese don't have nests in trees). The Lough is a bird sanctuary and the wildlife's best interests should be the priority.

mik_da_man wrote: »
    This a proper lake 3 miles from my parents house in Meath!
    Frozen solid

That's a nice pic and very impressive, I would like to point out that The Lough is also a proper lake in every sense :) I get the impression you somehow think it isn't for some reason :confused:

Ok, Fair enough.
    I'm from north meath, quite close to cavan.
    Loads of lakes there and they are all an awful lot bigger than the lough.
    So I see the lough as a big pond TBH - no offence meant

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Wow never seen it like that before :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cdbrock

RoverJames wrote: »
    That's a nice pic and very impressive, I would like to point out that The Lough is also a proper lake in every sense :) I get the impression you somehow think it isn't for some reason :confused:

birds do not lay eggs at this time of year sir. Secondly i was there on the lough 2 hours ago and areas of the ice that had been broken earlier by the jcb had frozen again. People were crossing over this thinner ice at the edge to access the thicker ice further out and were kicking a football out there. At the same time further down along, the city council jcb was still working around the edge breaking the ice making the ice more unsafe. Better to use the jcb gritting the roads and stop making the lock unsafe. If somebody falls thro' the ice now i reckon they have a better argument for suing the city council. Its all health and safety nowadays and the country is gone to rack and ruin. Hands off the ice lads. Get the children away from the telly and the playstations and let them have some real fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

cdbrock wrote: »
    birds do not lay eggs at this time of year sir. Secondly i was there on the lough 2 hours ago and areas of the ice that had been broken earlier by the jcb had frozen again. People were crossing over this thinner ice at the edge to access the thicker ice further out and were kicking a football out there. At the same time further down along, the city council jcb was still working around the edge breaking the ice making the ice more unsafe. Better to use the jcb gritting the roads and stop making the lock unsafe. If somebody falls thro' the ice now i reckon they have a better argument for suing the city council. Its all health and safety nowadays and the country is gone to rack and ruin. Hands off the ice lads. Get the children away from the telly and the playstations and let them have some real fun.
    they wont have much of an argument if theres signs saying dont go on the ice , i seen parents with babies in buggies goin out on it !!! if a buggy went it that could be the end of the baby.... idiots !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Way to ruin the happy chats "funsies". Generalisations like the above and uneducated malicious comments are exactly what I'd expect from somebody who would be naive enough to carelessly skip across a frozen over lake, fall through and only then realise how dangerous it is.

I think what the council have done this time around was brilliant. They've more than likely saved a few lives, they're protecting whatever wildlife are sticking it out in the bushes AND are preventing further damage to the already affected Christmas crib.

Ta daa!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

Troll. :rolleyes:

Advertisement