Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lough frozen solid !

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

mik_da_man wrote: »
    You think the lough frozen solid is impressive?
    This a proper lake 3 miles from my parents house in Meath!
    Frozen solid

LoughRamor.jpg

Beautiful pic man! I'm easily impressed! Spent a while sliding on the tiniest bit of ice in the car park a while ago. Woopee!!!

Sorry now but I'm not usually one to defend the council but in this case with the lough they have made a very good decision. Yeah a frozen lake is a bit of fun but it isn't particularly thick ice guys. If you want to salvage a bit of fun out of the ice and skate on it, go ice skating in the rinks that have been set up for that purpose. Don't risk falling into freezing water for a cheap laugh.

And rabble rabble rabble about the grit. I agree they haven't been very efficient nor have they made many good decisions about what to do with and where to place the grit but they've hit all the bridges every morning in the city at least. Alot of cars are still driving fast despite the icy conditions. My friend was driving on the link the Bcollig last week really slowly but on the hard shoulder. A taxi came up behind her, beeped for ages and then sped off, only to swerve across to the other lane and had to stop. Also there's been kids pulling hand brake turns and speeding in the ice to PURPOSEFULLY skid. Even with other cars around!

We're our own worst enemy and the best at pointing fingers. Take your own advise and have a bit of fun.

Oh oh - CHILL out! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BMurr

The iced over lough was stunningly beautiful yesterday. I had a go at standing on the ice and walking about on it, my near to 16 stone didn't seem to trouble it. However on the opposite side of the lough by nthe hawthorne pub you have an area where the ice is thin and broken and the birds are able to feed and swim there. The ice at the opposite end was about 3 inches thick which is OK to support the weight of an adult, however when you think about the broken ice near hawthorne pub anyone with half a brain will trealise that it is best to stay well away from the weaker side of the lough. Unfortunately some foolish folk go into the water at the hawthrone side and inevitably grab the headlines with their rescues. The council then with their wisdom borne of years serving the public;) decide that they will break all of the ice around the adge, the digger audibly strains when breaking the ice so it can't be that weak and the thickness of te ice is visible in the debris. Unfortunately we live in a society where people cannot be given responsibility for their lives aand their safety, we have to step in with the nanny state and screw the majority the sake of the minority who haven't the wherewithall to make it through life without beng constantly held by the hand of the nanny state. I'd say that Fr. Brown would turn in his grave to see such a beautifull scene spoiled by the council. Sure health and safety is an issue to be considered but you have to draw the line somewhere maybe we should put big railings around the lough just in case anone should fall in at other times of the year:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

I realy dont understand how people can say the ince is grand etc etc. When a small dog can break through the ice then from the previous pics wheres theres 20-30 on it just seems like pure stupidity. Fair enough if you stand by the edge to get your pic and whatever but there was a pic on the echo of a mother with her 1yr old child out far enough. I mean do people realy have any common sense nowadays? Theres nothing about the council "ruining" peoples fun but the fact that when you fall in ,you are falling into freezing waters. That guy that fell in yesterday or the day before had to be rescued and wasnt simply able to stand up and get back up on the ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

People are morons, the council had no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

People will complain when the council do nothing, and then will complain again when they actualy do.
    Some people are just very hard to comprehend :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BMurr

People are morons, the council had no choice.

Ah yes, the morons. Our whole state is geared up for them and seemingly run by their political equivalent. E.G. If you're too incompetent to make your way in life become a single parent and we'll give you all the stuff that people had to do for themselves for millions of years like a roof over your head, food, heat etc. Oh and if your too stupid to not realise that the ice near the side of the lake with holes in it might be just a little bit thin then don't worry well just get rid of all the ice in the lake to keep you safe even if it is over three inches think on the other side and capable of supporting the weight of large adults.

If we are still evolving as a species then the future isn't bright so long as we cater for the moronic minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

BMurr wrote: »
    Ah yes, the morons. Our whole state is geared up for them and seemingly run by their political equivalent. E.G. If you're too incompetent to make your way in life become a single parent and we'll give you all the stuff that people had to do for themselves for millions of years like a roof over your head, food, heat etc. Oh and if your too stupid to not realise that the ice near the side of the lake with holes in it might be just a little bit thin then don't worry well just get rid of all the ice in the lake to keep you safe even if it is over three inches think on the other side and capable of supporting the weight of large adults.

If we are still evolving as a species then the future isn't bright so long as we cater for the moronic minority.

I bet you're a happy sparkly tap dancing sprite!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

looks like far too many people went on at the same time. I live out the country, and the lake near my house froze much thicker, but we still tried to spread out as much as possible. Cracks would still appear occasionally. I wouldn't chance the Lough at all

Advertisement