Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exam Timetable MONDAY EXAMS CANCELLED!

• 04-12-2009 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭

MODERATOR NOTE::

EXAMS FOR MONDAY 11TH ARE NOW CANCELLED!

THEY HAVE BEEN RE-SCHEDULED FOR SATURDAY 16TH OF JANUARY![/b]
    An emergency meeting of the Senior Management of LYIT was held this afternoon to consider the staging of semester 1 examinations in the light of the sudden deterioration in weather conditions. It has been decided that the exams scheduled for Monday 11 January will now be held on Saturday 16 January. The situation will be reviewed on a day-to-day basis and a further announcement will be made on Monday morning.

Heads Up Everyone,

I got a sneak peek at my exam timetable for January and out of the 5 exams I have to sit 4 of them are in the same week, meaning i only have the Tuesday of that week off. This is a joke as far as im concerned. My last 3 exams are Weds, Thurs and Friday. These particular exams are not exactly cushy ones either. Why the hell are we being put under such pressure?

I also heard of a 4th yr law student who is in the exact same boat timetable-wise. Thats just plain wrong as far as im concerned seeing as they are his final exams.

So be aware you might more than likely be in the same situation when its ur own exams.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Same with myself sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Check out your Exam Timetable.

Taken from college website:

It is important that you register for your exams
    Registration for exams will take place as follows:

Wednesday 9 December
    Business
    Law & Humanities
    Design

9.30 am – 4.30 pm

Room 1154

Thursday 10 December

School of Engineering
    9.30 am – 4.30 pm

Engineering Meeting Room 2220 (beside Engineering office)

Monday 14 December

Science
    Nursing
    Computing

9.30 am – 4.30 pm

Science Meeting Room 2463 (opposite School office)

Exam seating plan will be available on the web by Monday 21 December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

our's isnt too bad is it irlpic!

happy i finish on the 15th. planning on going to see an old friend in the uk for a week or 2.

our's isnt too bad is it irlpic!

happy i finish on the 15th. planning on going to see an old friend in the uk for a week or 2.

Yeah, there grand.

Btw RMC our Exel results were put up on webCT this afternoon incase you hadn't heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Oh suck it up kids.

In my final year in college, I had ten 3-hour exams in a row (yes ten), two in one day because of the June bank holiday.

Get over it and get on with it.

irlpic wrote: »
    Yeah, there grand.

Btw RMC our Exel results were put up on webCT this afternoon incase you hadn't heard.

sadly i missed the exam for baba's funeral. probably wont get to repeat it either.
    Figerty wrote: »
    Oh suck it up kids.

In my final year in college, I had ten 3-hour exams in a row (yes ten), two in one day because of the June bank holiday.

Get over it and get on with it.

for someone who's meant to be in their final year, thats not very mature.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭loca1

Only have three exams 7th 8th and 11th when does classes begin again then. 10 exams you sure you're not talking about the leaving cause that sounds ridiculous

Just noticing those dates for registering for exams are not correct was that the email sent to us. 14th is the thurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

loca1 wrote: »
    Just noticing those dates for registering for exams are not correct was that the email sent to us. 14th is the thurs

14th is the Monday starting reading week, ends on the 18th.

I'd be happy enough to have all my exams in one week, I'd rather get them all done and out of the way quickly.

• Advertisement

Oh right december 14th for registering just as well you replied we are already off college and I would not have gone in well i prob will go in to study anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Yep, 10 in a row was extremely tough going. There was about 80 doing the exams and we all got through with our sanity in tact.

It was a level 8 Honours degress, but not semesterised, so loads of assignments, coursework, Dissertation and 10 exams in a row at the end of it.

When I hear people complaining about three exams, especially semesterised, in a row I have to think that while it is tough going,, the real world is going to be a lot harder on you!
    Only have three exams 7th 8th and 11th when does classes begin again then. 10 exams you sure you're not talking about the leaving cause that sounds ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

irlpic wrote: »
    It is important that you register for your exams

Didn't know we had to register :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

Our timetable is grand, dont start until the 12th. Really need that extra time after xmas to study.
    I dont see the point in people complaining about the timetable, there isnt very much that can be done at this stage. My sister has her first exam on the 5th because they are going out on placement on 11th so I wouldnt fancy that at all.

No matter what...there isn't much time left.
    So get finishing assignments etc which will leave more time for you to study!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭GismoBaby

beginning of FEB!!!!! happy days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

But when all else fails we could try some of these......

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=info&ref=nf&gid=2249470023

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 hot and heavy

omg exams nearly here have noting done what am i goin to do???when is the libray open??:mad:

omg exams nearly here have noting done what am i goin to do???when is the libray open??:mad:

Check the LYIT website www.lyit.ie and check you student webmail in case you have been sent an email about opening times.
    Must check my own!

I believe it opens on Tuesday which really doesnt give us much time at all. Start on Thursday well mines do anyway

• Advertisement

thanks a lot, tuesday im fxxxxx that doesnt give me much time!

Mine start on Thursday too.
    The library will be jam packed.

Is the rest of college open like other computer rooms I wonder?
    Even the plain class rooms!!

Im finding it too difficult to study at home its impossible because I have young children. I'm doing out sample questions prob wasting my time. No celebrations tomorrow night will get stuck into study mode tomorrow keep putting it off a day.

Im not sure im only a first year. If its too bsy then I cannot concentrate in there either but I cannot find some notes which I thought i saved to memory stick so I really need to find a computer in there on Tues frick

yeah sure all the drink gets in the way. might have a few hot whiskeys the night though. mine start on thursday to might try get in early to the library really should be opened longer before exams!!!

Im finding it too difficult to study at home its impossible because I have young children. I'm doing out sample questions prob wasting my time. No celebrations tomorrow night will get stuck into study mode tomorrow keep putting it off a day.

I literally haven't opened a book.
    Been drinking waaaaaaaaaaaay to much coca cola and I'm getting no sleep until the early morning hours. Not healthy.

I use to write out sample questions too.
    These days I just do notes on everything and put them into my own words, when and where I can.

My plan is to try out questions from the exam paper.
    Whatever bits I don't know....go and look them up and practise them parts more.

I know it's not the end of the world if you fail an exam as there are the repeats in August.

BUT

I'd flippin' hate to repeat any of them :mad:

I know I've past 1 subject now going into the exam. So the pressure is off on that one at least.

I have passed 1 already as well and I should have passed the other one too or near enough but i really want to get a little better than 40%. I would not like to repeat any of them either.

Yeah I know. Same as that.

Even though I have passed that one the lecturer wouldn't be happy with me if I didn't get a hell of alot higher!!

There's only two I'm worried about....

In one I have to get about half the exam right in order for me to pass :eek:
    The other...he's a really tough marker...so they say :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

Where can I get past paper solutions?

• Advertisement

Now that's a good question... :eek:

Haven't a notion. If they don't have such things...they bloody well should.

Past exam papers are here http://library1.lyit.ie/screens/exam.html but I think solutions is wishful thinking I doubt we have to do the solutions ourselves :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

oh god, im dreading these exams so much, i missed out on some assignments and a few tests in december because my mum died so im just sooooooo far behind now.

Fracture wrote: »
    oh god, im dreading these exams so much, i missed out on some assignments and a few tests in december because my mum died so im just sooooooo far behind now.

I'm sure if you handed up those assignments late the lecturers wouldn't mind in your circumstances.
    You should talk to the college if you haven't done so already and let them know of your circumstances.
    They take these things into consideration. They could work out something else for you do to..maybe more assignments to make up the marks..?
    Get talking to one of your lecturers or someone anyway.

Sorry for your loss.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yeah a friend of mine died during the year and I missed a few assignments but I had a talk with the lecturers and they gave me something else to do instead

Right so they have already postponed today and tomorrows exams, ive a feeling they will be doing the same for next week. thay cant honestly expect everybody to make it in with the weather so whats their plan B?.
    army%2520logo.png

• Advertisement

theboss80 wrote: »
    Right so they have already postponed today and tomorrows exams, ive a feeling they will be doing the same for next week. thay cant honestly expect everybody to make it in with the weather so whats their plan B?.

Has this ever happened before I wonder?

They can't really keep putting it off...then again the may move everything another week forward.
    But I've a funny feeling they will simply go ahead with the way things are now.

Nothing on the emails today bout it, id say have a look tomm and see if there is any communication from the college. if they dont say anything then everythinhg goes ahead to schedule.
    Seriously big problem with that is the uproar from people who cant make it in and will be fobbed off wit that its their own problem. I live a good 45mins away from the college so whats gonna happen if im traveling in and am involved in an accident??? i can say ive honestly not been near the college since we broke up and wouldnt travel up there if it wasnt for the exams.

Donegal is bad enough and will be difficult for alot of students to make it...but look at the poor sods down the country!

Couldn't believe some of the images on the news.
    Plus alot of bus services won't do some journeys.
    Seeing as we will all be off anyway until the start of Feb, there is no reason why they can't push the exams forward another week.
    That way hopefully the situation will improve.

Now I'm off to find hopefully a thread on how the government is actually nearly completely out of grit and looking to buy it in Europe somewhere...

Even though they could simply buy it off the quarrys. Heavin forbid spending a bit extra cash..arrgghhh

*trots off to ranting and raving forum*

im lucky i drove up from tipperary on tuesday! severly snowed in down there!

but its a shame about the exams being cancelled, but safety first and all that.

i just hope they dont keep posponing them over and over until there's a break.

im lucky i drove up from tipperary on tuesday! severly snowed in down there!

but its a shame about the exams being cancelled, but safety first and all that.

i just hope they dont keep posponing them over and over until there's a break.

You just reminded me I should have been boozing on Tuesday and wrecking your flat! >.<

Fair enough you managed to get up.... but what if LOADS of students simply can't make it up with the weather....

Maybe the lecturers will give those ones a completely different exam or other work to complete or simply fail them?

• Advertisement

Theres a guy in my class from Kildare which Ive heard is very badly hit so I wouldnt be surprised if he cant make it. Im in the Rosses at the moment and looking out at the hills theyre still totally covered in snow so it wont be easy even for me to get back

Hopefully they confirm tomorrow what theyre doing so people know the situation befre the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

Ive heard other colleges are going ahead with exams and if you cannot make it then you sit it in august when the repeats are on, but its taken as a first sitting. I dont fancy that at all.

So Library is not opening now at all this weekend christ sake this is bad form.

I would hate to do the exams in the autumn like other colleges are doing I already forget half the things I have learned let alone trying to study for them then.

I hope it goes ahead on Monday its going to be a nightmare I think trying to get sorted the primary schools are meant to be open on Monday but if they cancel I have to arrange childcare grrr go away snow please.

Doesnt look like its going anywhere mind you im stranded today which should mean I study more but no I just doss more.

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    You just reminded me I should have been boozing on Tuesday and wrecking your flat! >.<

Fair enough you managed to get up.... but what if LOADS of students simply can't make it up with the weather....

Maybe the lecturers will give those ones a completely different exam or other work to complete or simply fail them?

lol you have my number!

its not a case of "what if" loads cant make it up, they cant make it up!
    it took me almost 12 hours to drive what normally takes 5 1/2 hours!

Exams going ahead on Monday just checked email. Thats what I need to hear to focus on study.

lol you have my number!

its not a case of "what if" loads cant make it up, they cant make it up!
    it took me almost 12 hours to drive what normally takes 5 1/2 hours!

Actually I need to ask a favour of you! :eek:
    *texts*

Me and mum were heading home from Letterkenny(finally got out of house)...

Nearly crashed into on coming traffic even though we were going really slow the back of car just suddenly went flying the wrong way! :eek:
    Very scary. I would have been a goner :eek:

Such a pity those students gonna have to repeat them in bloody august

Very little info in the email from the college, they know fine well ther'll be people who wont be able to make it yet they've given no info on what happens if thats the case

Hardly seems fair they'll have to repeat in August when theres a week off at the end of this month..

Harps wrote: »

Hardly seems fair they'll have to repeat in August when theres a week off at the end of this month..

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭XDivaX

There are talks of doing a petition or emailing Paul Hannigian on Facebook to try and have this week exams cancelled if the weather doesn't improve by the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

im just gonna listen to the news on Higland radio on Sunday, if they are cancelled, it will be on the news then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement