Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital keeps secret DNA File

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Not so secret anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Dublin eh?

Surprise sur-****ing-prise

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

1.5 million pricks in Dublin ?

Who'da thunk it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

This is shocking news and I can't go on living now that I've heard that for the passed 23 years a sample of my DNA has been kept in a database.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Actually easier that way. When they're older it'll be easier to find and jail them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

Creepy, disturbing and illegal. And no-one's talking about it, it's weird. All I've heard about since Christmas is the weather and the "national grit crisis". :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I don't find it "creepy", just stupid. How much most it have to store it all when the hospitals are broke?
    Would it have been legal for them to keep the results without names for the purposes on future studies? Really don't get why they didn't just do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,880 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I thought you guys would all be in favour of this? So that when the little scumbag goes and robs your car, all you have to do is nip down Temple Street and there you go - proof.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

testicle wrote: »
    Who cares?
    You could have given alot more to a dna thread with a username like that. :P:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I thought you guys would all be in favour of this? So that when the little scumbag goes and robs your car, all you have to do is nip down Temple Street and there you go - proof.

...you could do the same if you wanted to frame said scummer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

diagnosed 1,815 disorders

Even though they should have asked, I'm not too angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

MaybeLogic wrote: »
    ...you could do the same if you wanted to frame said scummer...

Unless you've been cloned and stole your own car

It's a test on newborn babies, it's not as if they need to hold onto the samples long-term, the DNA isn't going to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

When would this have been taken? Everything before 1984 was destroyed but how soon after you are born is the test done? i.e. is there a transition period between 1983 and 1984? I just want to get my facts straight for when I become righteously indignant for no apparent reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

And will you be happy when you try to get health insurance and they charge you 3 times the average premium because you are predisposed to certain illnesses?

Or what if you don't get a certain job because the employer found some indicator in your DNA that they didn't like?

DNA is a very very personal thing, and as our understanding of each gene grows, it can potentially become very damaging to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

And will you be happy when you try to get health insurance and they charge you 3 times the average premium because you are predisposed to certain illnesses?

Or what if you don't get a certain job because the employer found some indicator in your DNA that they didn't like?

DNA is a very very personal thing, and as our understanding of each gene grows, it can potentially become very damaging to you.
    There's a huge sign off involved in any kind of DNA testing, so the manner in which they stock piled this information is scandalous.

Farming it out then for surveys and such like is even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

They presumably dianosed these 1,815 disorders immediately. Why did they hold on to the samples?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,042 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Was this even reported here by RTE etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

What are the odds it wont get destroyed but used for profiling, would probably sound like too good an opportunity to pass up on !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

A DNA database isn't as as sinister as it sounds. They can do alot of good. Some people watch too much films.

A DNA database isn't as as sinister as it sounds. They can do alot of good. Some people watch too much films.

I'd like to know what good that database was going to do when it was illegal and couldn't be used openly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Or when fascism takes hold in Ireland (any day now going by some of the other threads here :rolleyes:) and they want to identify who is Herrenvolk and who is Untermensch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

You know, they thought they were doing a good thing when those scientists invented atomic fission. And I'm sure Alfred Noble has the best of intentions when he created dynamite.

The thing is, we are human, and therefore very good at using inventions in the most destructive and evil ways imaginable.

You have way too much fate in people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Who'da thunk it ?

People from the bogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Who cares? 1.5 Million people, they aren't going to specifically target a certain person's DNA and use it for some "malicious" reason. It's most likely being kept for research.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,042 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Who cares? 1.5 Million people, they aren't going to specifically target a certain person's DNA and use it for some "malicious" reason. It's most likely being kept for research.

Research into what? At what point does research become used by 3rd parties?

As Crazy Rabbit said, it can show if you are predisposed to any ilness, and insurance companies etc could use that against you... even if you don't know about what genetics is

it's a touchy subject to say the least, I can't believe this is the first I heard of it though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Research into what? At what point does research become used by 3rd parties?

As Crazy Rabbit said, it can show if you are predisposed to any ilness, and insurance companies etc could use that against you... even if you don't know about what genetics is

it's a touchy subject to say the least, I can't believe this is the first I heard of it though
    I doubt it would be legal for that information to be passed on to 3rd parties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I doubt it would be legal for that information to be passed on to 3rd parties.

What they did wasn't very legal in the first place.

Advertisement