Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus one

Options
  • 05-01-2010 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

when is this available in Ireland?
    go to site says not available in my country!
    thanks
    john

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Available on Sale March 17th.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Where says this? (and what an odd date)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Scoti

Where says this? (and what an odd date)

Saint Patricks day odd?

Scoti wrote: »
    Saint Patricks day odd?
    For a phone release in Ireland.Most of us dont even know our names that day, never mind a phone :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Scoti

For a phone release in Ireland.Most of us dont even know our names that day, never mind a phone :pac:

Wise words... never thought of that!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Drunk people and shiny things are a good combination. They'll sell loads. Hell, one of my friends bought an iPhone when shítfaced.

Drunk people and shiny things are a good combination. They'll sell loads. Hell, one of my friends bought an iPhone when shítfaced.
    Its more rubbery then shiny though.......well except the screen which is so shiny drunk people could be convinced its taking their souls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Dont you love how once again the Irish are second rate citizens and cant even buy the damn thing unlocked? I mean for god sake... I was stupid to actually believe it would be available to buy today.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

fionny wrote: »
    Dont you love how once again the Irish are second rate citizens and cant even buy the damn thing unlocked? I mean for god sake... I was stupid to actually believe it would be available to buy today.

It's not being released in Europe until spring 2010 so it looks like we are in line to get it the same time as every one else in Europe and more than likely the usual places (expansys etc.) will be selling an unlocked version. I don't know where you are getting the second rate citizen thing from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Im getting it from the fact that we have to wait 3 months extra then the americans for something that is ready and waiting to be used by any country, the charger port is micro usb (aka universal charger) so no extra biggie there.

According to my buddy in the UK they can go on and order the phone now from vodafone or buy the unlocked version and it seems he is right:

http://news.nexus-one.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah the US, UK, Singapore and, eh, someplace else can get it right now.

Stephen wrote: »
    Yeah the US, UK, Singapore and, eh, someplace else can get it right now.
    Hong Kong I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Can't believe so many people believed you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

I clicked.. :D

couldnt resist the geek's calling.
    :o

is it here yet?
    is it here yet?
    is it here yet?
    is it here yet?
    is it here yet?
    is it here yet?
    is it here yet?
    is it here yet?
    is it here yet?
    ..now?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Does it have much to offer over and above the iphone? I already have the iphone and like it, but there are some downsides. I don't use it for media playing much, so not concerned about the Nexus One's crappy player. Are many iPhone users considering making the switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I've played around with it quite a bit and I like it. If I could take parts of the iphone and parts of the nexus then it would make a very good phone. The nexus looks much better in real life than in the pics, screen is very vibrant but it can get very hot on the ear during calls. I really like the notification system on the nexus, miles ahead of the iphone. But the music player and limited apps are a minus. I would wait to see what the next version of the iphone has to offer before getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I'm so tempted to get one myself. How do you have one so soon?

I don't have one, but I know a good few people that work for Google, haven't persuaded any of them to part with the nexus... yet :D

jester77 wrote: »
    I don't have one, but I know a good few people that work for Google, haven't persuaded any of them to part with the nexus... yet :D
    Nice one. It really is a good place to work :)

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Nice one. It really is a good place to work :)

That depends, perks are nice but I would never do the hours they do!

• Advertisement

jester77 wrote: »
    That depends, perks are nice but I would never do the hours they do!
    It's similar in other places unfort. Worked in Intel for a while. Same story but not as nice I'd say. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭nohopengn

Zascar wrote: »
    Does it have much to offer over and above the iphone? I already have the iphone and like it, but there are some downsides. I don't use it for media playing much, so not concerned about the Nexus One's crappy player. Are many iPhone users considering making the switch?

There's an interesting article in the Montreal Gazzette - they call it the 'Super Phone'. Google apparently only want to launch in 4 test markets - I don't think it's a 'second rate citizen' thing. Probably more to do with 1. Our low population and 2. The countries lack of installed new technologies e.g. blanket low-cost Wi-Fi coverage in any town or city.

“Google Voice automatically links certain cellphones with home and business lines, bypassing existing cellular networks. Users must be within range of a wireless Internet connection for it to work. In cities such as Boston and Toronto, where Wi-Fi Internet networks will soon blanket the urban area, the software will allow consumers to say goodbye to monthly cellphone bills entirely.”

Get the full article here:
    http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Google+phone+makes+waves+available+Canada/2408349/story.html

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

I've switched from my original iPhone (2G) and I'm liking it a lot. At present I have no intention of switching back to the iPhone. The applications running in the background/notifications system is probably my favourite thing about it. It's always connected to the net either via wifi or 3G, so it feels like a true smartphone (or superphone :-) ).

For music, I don't notice any difference really between the iphone and the nexus one. I'd say the quality of your headphones would make more of a difference.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Good to know, thanks!

Is the battery any better? What about the apps? I'm guessing over the next few months all the good iphone apps will have an equivalent on the nexus.

Is it quick? My 3g (non s) iphone can be cam slow and is really p1sses me off sometimes. is the usability as good as or better than the iphone?

With the iPhone you could jailbreak it and do cool things. I'm assuming there are not as many restrictions with the Nexus but are there still cool things to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

Good to know, thanks!

Is the battery any better? What about the apps? I'm guessing over the next few months all the good iphone apps will have an equivalent on the nexus.

Is it quick? My 3g (non s) iphone can be cam slow and is really p1sses me off sometimes. is the usability as good as or better than the iphone?

With the iPhone you could jailbreak it and do cool things. I'm assuming there are not as many restrictions with the Nexus but are there still cool things to do?

there are no real restrictions on the nexus, a simple fastboot command and you're allowed to do anything you like.

I think I'll purchase one of these when they come. I would like to use it in a research project I'm doing.

One question: Is the compass 3D? - are all phones 3d now. I haven't seen one yet.

Good to know, thanks!

The battery isn't amazing to be honest, but I'm not hugely bothered. I've got my mains charger at home, USB charge lead at work and a power monkey for anywhere in between. Also planning to get a car dock when they become available, for charging on the road (apparently essential for using the navigation apparently as it draws a fair bit of power- worth it though, as its damn good!)

The apps are pretty good, though not quite as polished or numerous as on iPhone, although I'd bet on it growing/improving significantly over the course of this year (opening up Ireland for paid apps in the market would help too, but its anyone's guess when that'll happen.

Its very quick compared to my 2g iPhone, not sure how it compares to 3gs, although a couple of colleagues ditched their 3g ones for it.

There's a few cool things you can do with it. Live wallpapers are really cool as they react to touch, and every text field is voice enabled. Navigation is amazing, as is Google earth. The gallery app is cool as is Google goggles. You could happily play with it for ages!

If you're a developer, then you're in for even more fun I suppose .

Let me know if you've got any more questions and ill answer them if I can.

The battery isn't amazing to be honest, but I'm not hugely bothered. I've got my mains charger at home, USB charge lead at work and a power monkey for anywhere in between. Also planning to get a car dock when they become available, for charging on the road (apparently essential for using the navigation apparently as it draws a fair bit of power- worth it though, as its damn good!)

The apps are pretty good, though not quite as polished or numerous as on iPhone, although I'd bet on it growing/improving significantly over the course of this year (opening up Ireland for paid apps in the market would help too, but its anyone's guess when that'll happen.

Its very quick compared to my 2g iPhone, not sure how it compares to 3gs, although a couple of colleagues ditched their 3g ones for it.

There's a few cool things you can do with it. Live wallpapers are really cool as they react to touch, and every text field is voice enabled. Navigation is amazing, as is Google earth. The gallery app is cool as is Google goggles. You could happily play with it for ages!

If you're a developer, then you're in for even more fun I suppose .

Let me know if you've got any more questions and ill answer them if I can.

PS, I'm writing this on it, so the keyboard isn't bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I have one as well :)

I don't see this phone as a 'killer phone', I (and others) more see this as a phone that raises the bar of what people expect from a smart-phone/web-device and also the android OS.

Also, it being sold sim free direct will give people the option of who they want to use as their provider without having to unlock the phone which most folks haven't a clue about. Also no exclusive contracts with any operators too it would see :) good times for all.

As a phone its great some great points, but the iphone has plus points too so I wouldn't expect iPhone kiddies running out to buy one anytime soon.

• Advertisement

Android apps have started to improve more since the Native Development Kit was released.
    The SDK was Java with XML for the layout and the NDK is C++ if I remember right and seems to let developers get deeper into the system.

edit: My mistake.The NDK is a companion to the SDK so people implement parts of their apps using native code since everything runs in the davlik VM

Advertisement