Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion [Snow showers hitting east from 4pm] ( New Years Eve 2009 )

Options

Comments

Su Campu wrote: »
    Good man Gerry.
    he was limited in what he cold say though as even in 2009/10 it's impossible to predict where and how strong convection will be exactly but saying there will be difficulty with roads in the East was a fair assessment.

Looking dry for most tomorrow though except in North connaught..

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2009/12/31/basis00/ukuk/prty/10010118_2_3100.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Depends on what chart you use, I know this isn't very accurate but could give a nice few showers in the morning

uksnowrisk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

not much good to us down here without any precipitation. listening to gerry there the trough from the north won't penetrate inland..looks like a cold dry week ahead down south. that weather system for monday to the south seems to have come further north again and may catch the south.

yes agreed, was listening to him to. However with the lack of anything that we have got here. I get a bit excited with a bit of sleet, as this prec band moves off to the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Latest UKM meso model predicts some reasonable activity this evening and overnight along the east coast.

Doesnt suggest much movement inland but we will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Villain wrote: »
    Depends on what chart you use, I know this isn't very accurate but could give a nice few showers in the morning

uksnowrisk.png

thats nearly snow in cork city! i hope but certainly highly unlikely! anyone think that front on monday next could come further north and his munster even if it will bring more rain. sky news had it 6 degrees in the very south on monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Bitterly cold. And a hard frost.

Much less snow on the ground here.

My flower pots have all lost their white hats

But the road looks lethal.

And there is a deeper layer of snow on the mountain tops also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

These are the local area forecasts for the Regional Airports, issued at 10am and valid from 10-19Z. I've written the first one inplane english for those who don't understand the code.

Also:

Visibility 9999 = 10km or more
    -RA/RA/+RA = Light/Moderate/Heavy Rain, respectively
    -SHRASN = Light showers of sleet
    -SHSN = light snow showers
    BKN017CB = Broken (ie. 5-7 oktas) Cumulonimbus with bases at 1,700ft amsl
    PROB30 = Very small chance

Local Area Forecasts

(GALWAY (CARNMORE))EICM LOCAL AREA FORECAST VALID 311000/311900 WIND 04018G30KT BECMG 1012 04014KT BECMG 1518 01008KT VISIBILITY 9999 WEATHER NSW CLOUD SCT020 SCT040 CLOUD HEIGHTS GIVEN ABOVE MSL=

Wind NE 18 Gust 30kts, changin to 14kts between 10 and 12Z, then to North at 8kts between 15 and 18Z. No Significant Weather, scattered clouds at 2,000 and 4,000ft.
    (DONEGAL)EIDL LOCAL AREA FORECAST VALID 311000/311900 WIND 03015KT BECMG 1518 01009KT VISIBILITY 9999 TEMPO 1019 8000 PROB30 TEMPO 1019 4000 WEATHER NSW TEMPO 1019 -SHRASN PROB30 TEMPO 1019 -SHSN CLOUD SCT020 SCT040 TEMPO 1019 SCT010 BKN017CB PROB30 TEMPO 1019 BKN007 CLOUD HEIGHTS GIVEN ABOVE MSL=

(KERRY (FARRANFORE))EIKY LOCAL AREA FORECAST VALID 311000/311900 WIND 05018G30KT BECMG 1113 04015KT BECMG 1719 02008KT VISIBILITY 9999 WEATHER -RA BECMG 1011 NSW CLOUD SCT010 BKN015 BECMG 1011 SCT018 BKN030 CLOUD HEIGHTS GIVEN ABOVE MSL=

(SLIGO)EISG LOCAL AREA FORECAST VALID 311000/311900 WIND 03013KT BECMG 1619 01008KT VISIBILITY 9999 WEATHER NSW CLOUD SCT020 SCT040 CLOUD HEIGHTS GIVEN ABOVE MSL=

(WATERFORD)EIWF LOCAL AREA FORECAST VALID 311000/311900 WIND 08018G30KT BECMG 1214 04014KT VISIBILITY 9999 WEATHER NSW CLOUD SCT017 BKN030 CLOUD HEIGHTS GIVEN ABOVE MSL=

Between 6pm and 6am, around 12mm of precip is forecast up along the east coast.

So potential for 5 or 6cm of accumulated snow by morning in places i would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Had a few large flakes 10 minutes ago
    Was 4.9C Dp 0.0C at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

What a great forecast from met eireann today for the week ahead,
    looks like the north will get a lot of snow, I see they also wrote Amendment on their forecast ,what did they change i wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

whats the road conditons in CORK cITY/MALLOW ROAD RE FLOODING- tAAVELLING TO gALWAY city this am?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

Just had a shower of hailstones in swords

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

massive hail storm in D15, kinda heavy! jeepers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Looks like the Irish sea is coming to life. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

serious hail in north county dublin just now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

temps here are 0.9c very warm compared to ni elsewhere as temps elsewhere are around 0/-1c... we are the warmest place with nearby ballykelly reporting 2.9c and castlederg reporting -1.9c just 40 miles south!!!!! hopefully temps will drop us down to 0c in the 2 hours!!! or well be up in the dizzy heights of 4c!

owenc wrote: »
    temps here are 0.9c very warm compared to ni elsewhere as temps elsewhere are around 0/-1c... we are the warmest place with nearby ballykelly reporting 2.9c and castlederg reporting -1.9c just 40 miles south!!!!! hopefully temps will drop us down to 0c in the 2 hours!!! or well be up in the dizzy heights of 4c!

Please stop :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

i think its snowing in D15 now! or is it sleet hard to tell as its so small.....

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

heavy hail in greystones

is there any boards.ni especially for owenc?

• Advertisement

stop what..

is there any boards.ni especially for owenc?

i just said ni whats wrong with that? and no there is no ni boards this is for ni aswell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Light snow falling in north Kilkenny.

We have what would be best described as small snow covering, slightly more than a dusting.

When Met Eireann give coastal showers they always seem to at times get over this far, wouldn't be surprised if that trend continued.

Anyway it looks like running taps times tonight with temperatures predicted to get as low as -8C or -9C, New Years Eve will be spent at home.

owenc wrote: »
    i just said ni whats wrong with that? and no there is no ni boards this is for ni aswell...

i was just joking!

i was just joking!

ok whatever just stop this!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

summary.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

anyone have snow on the ground from lst night?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭fptosca

Hail on Dublin 15 at the moment but it looks like it will stop very soon and won't extend to other parts of the city. Temperature of 2.7 degrees, DP of 0 degrees. Outlook is for dry weather in the next few hours and temperatures to remain on 3 degrees until they start dropping in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

My staring out the study window at the sky wondering if it's going to snow has been interrupted by... snow! At least six flakes...

It looks like the very edge of a shower mostly passing south of here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Very light flurry of snow in Clane atm

ninja edit - getting heavier now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement