Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(500) Days of Summer

Options
  • 19-08-2009 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭

Must admit this does look quite good..

And I do think Joseph Gordon Levitt and Zooey Deschanel are two of the finest young actors in recent years.. consistently good performances from both!

It's currently sitting pretty at #105 in the Top 250 on IMDb.. and it's been out there for over a month now - albeit on limited release.

It will be released here the 5th of September (same day as 'District 9'... ouch!).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

basquille wrote: »
    Must admit this does look quite good..

And I do think Joseph Gordon Levitt and Zooey Deschanel are two of the finest young actors in recent years.. consistently good performances from both!

I was looking at the list of films he has done on IMDB, quite impressive. And they have all fairly good reviews.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just back from a preview of this and genuinely liked it. Very funny, and nice characterisation and performances from the two leads (and one of the funnier bumbling best friends of recent times). Zooey Deschanel may only have one role - ie Zooey Deschanel - but she is damn good at the kooky girlfriend, even if it may be cliched to hell.

There are times when the film threatens to dip into typical quirky indie rom-com (
    an annoying younger sister dispensing romantic advise is just quirky for quirks sake, and the narrator is just annoying
    ), and the soundtrack tries too hard to be hip, but it backs it up with a far more honest look at relationships than most others. But best of all it actually has some fantastic comic moments, including one of the best parodies of French arthouse cinema I've seen, and an amusing musical number (!) with a great payoff. Definitely worth a watch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Really looking forward to seeing 500 Days of Summer. Deschanel, Levitt and the films director have also put this short music video together

Have tickets to a critics screening this weekend with the lovely Zooey rumoured to be in attendence. Unfortunatly I can't go which some have said is for the best as it ensures that Zooey will not end up in a basement soemwhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Have tickets to a critics screening this weekend with the lovely Zooey rumoured to be in attendence. Unfortunatly I can't go which some have said is for the best as it ensures that Zooey will not end up in a basement soemwhere.
    "Zooey.. it puts the lotion in the basket!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

I won tix to see it on Tuesday, can't wait!!!:D

basquille wrote: »
    "Zooey.. it puts the lotion in the basket!"

I have my chat up line all prepared, "excuse me Zooey does this smell like tiger to you?" Extend right wrist and when she goes to smell it, BANG, a club to the back of the head. Throw her into the back of a waiting car and success.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have my chat up line all prepared, "excuse me Zooey does this smell like tiger to you?" Extend right wrist and when she goes to smell it, BANG, a club to the back of the head. Throw her into the back of a waiting car and success.

The car should be driven by 1930s mob-types. Just for comic value.
    And the old 'fake-flower-actually-filled-with-knockout-gas' is another fine method that doesn't involve physical violence.

Ok this conversation has taken a very sinister turn.

The car should be driven by 1930s mob-types. Just for comic value.
    And the old 'fake-flower-actually-filled-with-knockout-gas' is another fine method that doesn't involve physical violence.

Ok this conversation has taken a very sinister turn.

Not sinister but kooky exactly like the very gorgeous Zooey. I've always said that shes the perfect example of my perfect woman yet so few people agree with me. I keep being told that Megan Fox is more attractive but I really don't see it.

Not sinister but kooky exactly like the very gorgeous Zooey. I've always said that shes the perfect example of my perfect woman yet so few people agree with me. I keep being told that Megan Fox is more attractive but I really don't see it.

She definitely is one of the more likable and charismatic actresses around these days. Her range isn't great (her performance in this is basically the same role she had in All the Real Girls or Almost Famous or *shudder* Hitchhikers Guide or *uber-shudder* Yes Man) but she is a very effective and appealing kooky female actress so I'm not really complaining. She has personality, unlike Megan Fox who just seems like another one of those women who have just been forged by Hollywood. In Transformers, they just relied upon framing Fox in increasingly outrageous poses to try and give her some sort of screen presence. Zooey has screen presence because she has charisma and talent, not because Michael Bay framed her fellating a motorcycle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Blarggggh

HI Darko Wow. IM a reall big Zooey fan love to have my pic taken with here. Any chance you could PM me the name of the cinema the screening is in. Id love to have my photo taken with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

I'm looking forward to this and the soundtrack should be ace also

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

Blarggggh wrote: »
    IM a reall big Zooey fan love to have my pic taken with here. Any chance you could PM me the name of the cinema the screening is in. Id love to have my photo taken with her.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭sergiotheonly

Was lucky enough to see if a few weeks ago - great little film. Not sure if you could really call it a comedy but Gordon-Levitt is excellent (he really is starting to resemble Heath Ledger, in a good way) and Zooey wasn't as listless as she can sometimes be. Some great visuals and strong ideas and an unusual ending. It really isn't that funny though, the laughs are more realistic rather than being forced into moments which would look good in a trailer. Destined to be a bit of a cult classic.
    Btw, District 9 is bloody excellent as well. And I do mean bloody...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Just back from seeing this and I have to say I really enjoyed it. As another poster pointed out its a more honest approach to relationships. Boy meets girl... Girl meets boy..
    boy does not win girl back in the end! Im glad it didnt go down the cliched role where they end up together blah blah blah you get your happy ending.
    I liked the way it was put together Going from different points in the relationship, and I liked the soundtrack to boot!!
    Maybe its the cynic in me but I really liked this honest refreshing look at relationships.

8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I suppose that given the stylistic tricks, the soundtrack and the non - standard plotline for the genre: the film is attempting to appeal to a very specific market. Happily, I'm in that market, so I was unashamedly bowled over. :)

Just loved it from start to finish. Looks great, and the two leads turn in wonderful performances (again). Every key scene from them seems right, there is never a sense of overacting or that it wouldn't play out like that between real people in a similar situation.
    Also, the expectation / reality splitscreen shot was absolutely amazing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

I have a conjecture that the percentage of guys in their 20s on their own at a Zooey Deschanel film is higher than for any other type of film. Of course, I'm one of those guys.

Great film!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Was lucky enough to see if a few weeks ago - great little film. Not sure if you could really call it a comedy but Gordon-Levitt is excellent (he really is starting to resemble Heath Ledger, in a good way) and Zooey wasn't as listless as she can sometimes be. Some great visuals and strong ideas and an unusual ending. It really isn't that funny though, the laughs are more realistic rather than being forced into moments which would look good in a trailer. Destined to be a bit of a cult classic.
    Btw, District 9 is bloody excellent as well. And I do mean bloody...

I was looking at that music video and I was thinking the exact same thing.
    I saw him in a bank and started thinking "Joker"
    He is beginning to look like a mix between Ledger and Keanu Reeves

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I suppose that given the stylistic tricks, the soundtrack and the non - standard plotline for the genre: the film is attempting to appeal to a very specific market. Happily, I'm in that market, so I was unashamedly bowled over. :)

Completely agree with you.It was everything I personally look for in a film.Likeable leads and minor characters, well-written, great music and directed in an interesting way.I especially liked the little things like the parody of French arthouse and the small segment of the characters doing piece-to-camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i heard Regine Spektor voice in basquille's posted trailer and i am so decided to watch it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Saw it tonight, was good

Expected more laughs, but wasnt disappointed overall

The best joke was the disclaimer at the very start!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I saw this today and really loved it.
    Nice to see a more cynical outlook as opposed to the usual stuff we get.
    Some very funny moments too. Highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

God what a horrible film. Basically she's a complete bitch and he's an idiot. She has some sort of indie stunted sexuality and he has an inability to interact with adults and needs advice from a kid. There was funny moments in it, and the two lead actors are among my favourites, but I doubt there's a jury in the world that would have convicted the guy if he'd flung her off the building or murdered her in the park. In fact, I suspect the jury would go out and help him track down her family so they kill them to prevent any of her genes being passed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

bronte wrote: »
    I saw this today and really loved it.
    Nice to see a more cynical outlook as opposed to the usual stuff we get.
    Some very funny moments too. Highly recommend it.

Have to agree.
    I like how this tone was set from the start.

Really enjoyed this film although there were two things that bothered me.
    I didn't particularly like how the story constantly jumped around the 500 days though I'm sure the story would have dragged if it didn't.
    Also hate how Zooey Deschanel has to sing in every bloody film she's in.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just finished watching this and absolutely loved it!

Yes, it can feel slightly clichéd with the subject matter at times but there was enough moments of genuine innovation to put it heads and shoulders above any rom-com out in the last 5 - 10 years (well.. besides anything Linklater has put his hand to):
    - The Expectations vs Reality split-screen was absolutely superb!
    - The transitions from pre-breakup to post-breakup were always amusing.
    - The big dance scene was great.
    - I'm a big fan of "The" bands (The Smiths, The Doves, The Pixies, The Temper Trap) so I loved the soundtrack! :D

Joseph Gordon Levitt and Zooey Deschanel were both very impressive (as always) and their chemistry on-screen felt very real.

I could have done with the
    Autumn
    gag to close the film. I always hate those sly nods to the audience though.

I think I'll be picking up the Blu-ray actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Just watched this there now and thoroughly enjoyed it. Best film I've seen in a good while. There were a coupla times my balls were in my stomach in empathy. :pac:
    I'm not a fan of any (that I noticed) artists on the soundtrack but most of it fitted pretty well. Wasn't really expecting it to be my kind of film but with the scores it has around the place I just had to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Really did not like this film in the slightest. All the people going on about the non-hollywood ending... come off it,
    he gets the right girl in the end
    , that ending is nauseatingly saccharine sweet. A non-hollywood ending would of been if
    he got the girl of his supposed dreams and ended up miserable because she wasn't for him.

Instead it's your typical self discovery story of a guy learning about what he really wants in life and then going out and getting it with little to no resistance. The simple act of realizing what he wants is enough for everything in his world to suddenly fall into place.

This is my review of it a month ago:
    L31mr0d wrote: »
    500 days of summer: Cookie cut indie tripe. Sweater Vests ✔, Quirky outfits and conversation seques ✔, Indie music ✔, nauseating amounts of browns, creams, leathers and antique wood ✔.

Since then I've seen this picture and "(500) days of summer" was the first film that popped into my head

http://23.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ku2zunXNBH1qz9v0to1_500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Sabbath Lily

I watched this a good few times over the past few weeks, as I was writing on it for a college paper, and I have to say, out of all the movies that I was covering, this one still stands out. Usually when you analyse the hell out of a movie, there's nothing left to gain from watching it, but not with this one. Kind of made me love it more, really. When I first saw it in the cinema, I had some misgivings, especially with the 'jumps' between the 500 days, but I'm a total convert now. DVD out next week, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Really did not like this film in the slightest. All the people going on about the non-hollywood ending... come off it,
    he gets the right girl in the end
    , that ending is nauseatingly saccharine sweet. A non-hollywood ending would of been if
    he got the girl of his supposed dreams and ended up miserable because she wasn't for him.

Instead it's your typical self discovery story of a guy learning about what he really wants in life and then going out and getting it with little to no resistance. The simple act of realizing what he wants is enough for everything in his world to suddenly fall into place.

This is my review of it a month ago:

Since then I've seen this picture and "(500) days of summer" was the first film that popped into my head

http://23.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ku2zunXNBH1qz9v0to1_500.jpg
    Yup. Turned it off half way through. Cookie cutter indie turd. Like Nick and Nora et al. As soon as I saw Zooie Deschanel I should have known what I was in for. She's like a female Seth Rogan. Same character over and over. Though this time she's kookier than evarrr.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I watched this a good few times over the past few weeks, as I was writing on it for a college paper, and I have to say, out of all the movies that I was covering, this one still stands out. Usually when you analyse the hell out of a movie, there's nothing left to gain from watching it, but not with this one. Kind of made me love it more, really. When I first saw it in the cinema, I had some misgivings, especially with the 'jumps' between the 500 days, but I'm a total convert now. DVD out next week, apparently.

Great little movie.

I thought it was going to be the usual junk but felt that the script was very refrreshingly funny and sharp.

Soundtrack was excellent also.

Advertisement