Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

People of after hours help me out here.

• 17-12-2009 6:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Right ladies and gentlemen I was given a brain teaser to do and I cant for the life of me figure it out so heres one for you brainboxes out there now my wording might not be the best but work with me here.

3 Fellas walk into a hotel to stay the night and the receptionist charges them €30 .They are brought to there room to settle in.
    When gone to there rooms the receptionist realises he made a mistake and should of charged them €25 so he gives the bell boy €5 to give to the 3 men.
    The bell boy gives the men €3 and keeps the other €2 for himself.
    This means the 3 men paid €9 each for the room 3X9=27 plus the 2 that the bell boy has 27+2=29
    The question is wheres the missing €1 :eek::confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

The 3 men didnt pay 9 euro they paid 9.33 euro.

Took me a while!

But when they got back the 3 euro between them they got one each. 10-1=9
    am i looking at the question wrong:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

you take the 2 euro FROM 27 instead of adding it, that means the men were supposed to pay 25 each, but they paid 27 cause the bell boy kept the 2 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Car Mad wrote: »
    But when they got back the 3 euro between them they got one each. 10-1=9
    am i looking at the question wrong:D

Yeah I thought I had it but then kept thinking and realised I didnt know what i was talking about. Bollocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭one-angry-dwarf

there is no missing €1.
    of the original €30, there is now €25 with the receptionist, €3 back with the 3 guys and €2 in the bell boys pocket. 25+3+2=30

it's true that the guys have now paid €27, but of that amount 25 is with the receptionist and 2 with the bellboy. what you've done is add the €2 to that €27, instead of adding the €3 that was refunded.

I know I'm not explaining it well, but it's 5:45am and this is the best my brain works at this hour :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

there is no missing €1.
    of the original €30, there is now €25 with the receptionist, €3 back with the 3 guys and €2 in the bell boys pocket. 25+3+2=30

it's true that the guys have now paid €27, but of that amount 25 is with the receptionist and 2 with the bellboy. what you've done is add the €2 to that €27, instead of adding the €3 that was refunded.

I know I'm not explaining it well, but it's 5:45am and this is the best my brain works at this hour :)

Àhh that could explain it dam trick questions:D Couldnt go too sleep twas annoing me so much :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Oh wait. Yeah Ive got it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

They paid 28 Euro. Seriously, it's not a riddle if you're just crap at maths. What Roz said....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Oh wait. Yeah Ive got it!

Penicillin should clear that right up.

Oh wait....I get ir.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

davyjose wrote: »
    They paid 28 Euro. Seriously, it's not a riddle if you're just crap at maths.

They paid 27 euro.

They originally paid 30, and were given 3 back. 30 - 3 is 27.

:rolleyes:

ETA: The problem people have is when they work out 27 was paid, they forget that is including the bell boy's 2 euro, and not including the 3 in their pockets.

_Roz_ wrote: »
    They paid 27 euro.

They originally paid 30, and were given 3 back. 30 - 3 is 27.

:rolleyes:

ETA: The problem people have is when they work out 27 was paid, they forget that is including the bell boy's 2 euro, and not including the 3 in their pockets.

Alternatively, I could be the one who was wrong...

...perhaps I was wrong in the past

Hmm... anyone know how to undo knife wounds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

It's okay, I won't tell anyone.

It's between you, me, and everyone who reads this thread. :D

_Roz_ wrote: »
    It's okay, I won't tell anyone.

It's between you, me, and everyone who reads this thread. :D

It's funny though, the missus is always making euros disappear. I should be used to it.

Edit: Check my first post...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Right ladies and gentlemen I was given a brain teaser to do and I cant for the life of me figure it out so heres one for you brainboxes out there now my wording might not be the best but work with me here.

3 Fellas walk into a hotel to stay the night and the receptionist charges them €30 .They are brought to there room to settle in.
    When gone to there rooms the receptionist realises he made a mistake and should of charged them €25 so he gives the bell boy €5 to give to the 3 men.
    This means the 3 men paid €9 each for the room 3X9=27 plus the 2 that the bell boy has 27+2=29

I dont see the problem

I see the equation as 30-3-2 = 25 :p

You see the equation as ((30-3-2))/3 which is not a div whole number.

The actual fact is 3x9=27+3 Euro returned by the bell boy equals 30

The 2 Euro has already been taken so its included in the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Shhhhh... Don't tell anyone you've found a way to invent money..

The bloody government will find a way to take it from you.

Bastards :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

This isn't a brain teaser, it's addition and subtraction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

this is basic maths. anyone that didn't get it within 30 seconds is bleedin tick

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

If you don't think that that's a brain teaser try this one.
    On a Philosophy exam paper one of the questions once consisted of just the word "Why?" and nothing else.There is only one correct answer,what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Why not?
    Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

what makes it correct?

"To know" would be equally correct. "Hula Hoop Sandwich" would be equally correct.

The question and answer are just put forward by people who like to pretend they are philosophical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

what makes it correct?
    Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Why not?

He's answering a question with a question, for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

(why+not)/why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

If you don't think that that's a brain teaser try this one.
    On a Philosophy exam paper one of the questions once consisted of just the word "Why?" and nothing else.There is only one correct answer,what is it?

whats the next brain teasers someones gonna post? 1+1=?

I bet most of those philosophy heads wrote page after page of Bullsheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

derfderf wrote: »
    (why+not)/why?
    (Why+To Know)/Why? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

im a tool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Why?

To get to the other side?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

dishonest fecking bellboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

5starpool wrote: »
    dishonest fecking bellboy.

The dodgy basterd has them all fooled, not me! He's definitely scamming something out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

this is basic maths. anyone that didn't get it within 30 seconds is bleedin tick

I think you mean thick

lol

Own3d

Advertisement