Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staff Layoffs

Options
  • 16-12-2009 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

I have got 4 excellent people working with me and I will have to let go of 2 in January. I just can’t separate between them on a professional basis.

I was think of last in first out but this is going to be difficult as the girl last in is just married with and house and so one. The others have less hanging over them but I just don’t know what to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Close your eyes and pick two at random to ditch, there's no point in keeping unlucky staff on your books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Last in first out is the only fair way tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Four men enter two men leave

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

jungleboy wrote: »
    I was think of last in first out but this is going to be difficult as the girl last in is just married with and house and so one. The others have less hanging over them but I just don’t know what to do

You cannot allow sentiment make your decision for you.
    The fairest all round for everyone is last in first out. Nobody can question that because it's accepted practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Four men enter two men leave

Sex change clinic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Russian Roulette?

You'll know which ones really want to keep their job then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Last in first out is the fairest if they're all equal in work capacity. However if someone newer is more qualified or more critical to how things run then keep them.

Unfortunately I think it would be very unfair to let someone go based on the fact they have no kids/mortgage. I know from a personal standpoint it sounds right but professionally it's not fair and an unfair dismissal claim may be possible.

Are you paying redundancy? If so have you asked if anyone would want voluntary redundancy?

[Edit]Forgot this was AH: Watch the films Condemned/Death Race/Battle Royale and you should have some ideas how to sort this mess out.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Always keep the slutty one. Bring them all into a meeting and advise them that 2 of them will be going in the new year. The slutty one will do stuff to keep her job. Post Pictures of Videos for us all too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Is there any way you can innovate or diversify to keep on the extra two staff? Remember any good people you let off today could become your competition tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Cut all their hours by half, then some of them might leave to find work somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

25% paycuts all round? that or russian roulette, i think they'll go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Cut all their hours by half, then some of them might leave to find work somewhere else.

thought you would have suggested keeping the blonde ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

genericguy wrote: »
    thought you would have suggested keeping the blonde ones.

I SAY EXETERMINATE THEM ALL!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭uncanny

Sounds like an ideal opportunity for a good ol fashioned essay writing competition.

Or failing that - rock, paper, scissors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Fcukface

Hold try outs to see who is the better candidate. Break a pool cue in half and throw the two halves on the ground, last two standing get to stay.

The joker knew what he was doing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Last in - no other way.

I was told I lost my job the day after I signed the contract for my house. Life's a bitch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

A good old fashioned game of crossbar challenge should do the job...

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭uncanny

youre-fired.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Last in - no other way.

You can tell who was indoctrinated into the trade union way of thinking.

If you care about what's best for your business, then you pick the two most productive and reliable workers.
    Cost base analysis - who makes the most money for you.

And putting on my cold calculating hat on... newly married girl with house could mean maternity leave in the foreseeable future. If you can afford the cost of that plus replacement cover staff.

I'm sure that'll get a backlash of comments, but when it comes to saving jobs all things have to be considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

And putting on my cold calculating hat on... newly married girl with house could mean maternity leave in the foreseeable future. If you can afford the cost of that plus replacement cover staff.

What the hell's he doing hiring married women in the first place is what I want to know.

What sort of leftie commie operation are you trying to run here OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

I don't agree with the last in first out mentality.

If I work my ass off, why should someone who's simply got seniority but doesn't work hard stay over me?

This practise doesn't exactly encourage/motivate employees to work harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Naos wrote: »
    I don't agree with the last in first out mentality.

If I work my ass off, why should someone who's simply got seniority but doesn't work hard stay over me?

I don't either, but in the OPs situation it's the only fair way of doing it as they're all good workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

OP, quit you job. That'll save one of their jobs, plus you'll no longer have to make the tough choice of which one to fire. Everybody wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

If any of them speak Danish fluently, I'll hire them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

Buy a couple of chimp masks and have yourselves a good old monkey knife fight,never fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭iceman777

LIFO only works in a low-skills environment e.g. manaufacturing.

If you are working in an intellectual/skilled environment, then you must look at their past productivity, work ethic, career path plans, promotions etc.

Do not consider their personal circumstances at all. This is not a personal/friendship call. It is a business call. Separate them at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Fire 'em all and give the jobs to two unemployed Boardsies. You just KNOW thay'll be productive, thankful, helpful and riotious good fun.

P.S. Fix yer font.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Fcukface wrote: »
    Hold try outs to see who is the better candidate. Break a pool cue in half and throw the two halves on the ground, last two standing get to stay.

The joker knew what he was doing.
    Beat me to it damn you ,
    who makes the best tea OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Life's a bitch :D

and then you marry one :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

BATTLE ROYALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement