Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so... I started playing rugby

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Malmedicine

But do ye not own the pitch off to the side, behind the church?
    How you can even play on that beats me! Its horrible, theres holes and ruts all over the place! And the posts are all rusty, and don't give that statisfying 'ping' when the ball bounces off it! But then again the CUS pitches aren't great to play on either. . . Muds real sticky and heavy.
    If I was you Stillorgan lads, I'd look into trying to get a pitch and little training area out in UCD. They've got alot of land I hear being turned into sportsturf. . .:D

McClean would have an epo!! Hard enough getting training times and places for UCD teams 1sts j 1,2,4, 20's a, b, c, irish teams , leinster teams , hospital cup teams . Try turning your pitch into sports turf alá the belfield superbowel now there is an idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Realex: Jonathan

We don't own our pitches/training ground unlike most of the old boy clubs, so we don't get to decide if the pitches are fit to train on.

stillorgan are an old boys club. And i'm taking this from your own website
    Stillorgan Rugby club (formerly known as Salesians RFC) was founded and first registered with the Leinster Branch of rugby in 1973, when a group of former pupils from schools run by the Salesian fathers themselves playing together in Dublin. Most were a long way from home and had attended school in the Salesian colleges Pallaskenry, Limerick, Warranstown in Meath and Ballinakill in County Laois.

you're just as much an old boys club as any other one around. you're just not as established. there's nothing wrong with old boys rugby clubs and it really grates on me when people try to suggest that there is. i've played for plenty of clubs in my time and no club will exclude you because you didn't go to belvedere or you didn't go to st. mary's, that's ridiculous to suggest and it's a lazy excuse for people who probably didn't make teams because they weren't good enough but prefer being able to say that it's because there's some bias toward lads who went to school with each other.

it's great that stillorgan are enjoying so much success and that you've gotten so many new bodies down this season. there's a need for a club in that part of dublin. but don't give us the holier than thou stuff about it "not being like any of those other clubs", rugby is rugby is rugby lads so let's all just enjoy playing it and get the beers in afterwards.

Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Maybe lets clarify that then..

A *huge* percentage of players in Stillorgan once played with one of the established Dublin old boys clubs and did not enjoy it at all [Personally, I played multiple seasons with both Terenure and Landsdowne among others]..

And basically all of those lads find their way to us, is because they want to play friendly rugby with some lads, and have a laugh. Not suffer at the hands of club politics, loose your place to someone who never trains, but who was brilliant on that amazing 1875 SCT team. Get dropped down come near cup time due to a team getting stacked as they really want that J4 cup this year. You all know the rubbish which goes on.

We dont do that - and people enjoy playing for us for that [among other] reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭dogeyknees

Quick question, I have never played proper rugby before (play tag and im pretty good at it). I would be quite fit - played football all my life and train regularly in the gym. I am 6 foot and about 95kg and fairly quick. I would love to start playing rugby but (a) i have never played and (b) i have to wear a knee brace as i shattered my knee 5 years ago (broken fiubua, tibua, patella, complete ACL tear, medial & patella tendon tear) and had it reconstructed. The knee seems fine now and i play football and tag without any problem - i am just worried that with the physicality of rugby that i would end up injuring it again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

dogeyknees wrote: »
    Quick question, I have never played proper rugby before (play tag and im pretty good at it). I would be quite fit - played football all my life and train regularly in the gym. I am 6 foot and about 95kg and fairly quick. I would love to start playing rugby but (a) i have never played and (b) i have to wear a knee brace as i shattered my knee 5 years ago (broken fiubua, tibua, patella, complete ACL tear, medial & patella tendon tear) and had it reconstructed. The knee seems fine now and i play football and tag without any problem - i am just worried that with the physicality of rugby that i would end up injuring it again?

With those injuries our lucky to be able to walk i think.
    Is it worth the risk? playing any physical games? you surely have to think long term do you wanna be hobbling like a landmine victim when your 40?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭dogeyknees

Im going to be hobbling like a landmine victim anyhow, might as well have some fun before i get that way!

To be honest i love sport, especially team sports and i would love to get back playing with a team as i was playing football since i was 4 and i love the comradery of being on a team. I always wanted to play rugby and at 32, i doubt i have long left. The knee is fine, i wear the brace more for my psychological reasons than physical and im sure i can play without - i squat 100kg so my legs and knee are OK.

I suppose what i am asking is whether there is a lot of pressure on the knees? Would that sort of injury be exploited or be a hinderance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

stillorgan are an old boys club. And i'm taking this from your own website

you're just as much an old boys club as any other one around. you're just not as established. there's nothing wrong with old boys rugby clubs and it really grates on me when people try to suggest that there is. i've played for plenty of clubs in my time and no club will exclude you because you didn't go to belvedere or you didn't go to st. mary's, that's ridiculous to suggest and it's a lazy excuse for people who probably didn't make teams because they weren't good enough but prefer being able to say that it's because there's some bias toward lads who went to school with each other.

it's great that stillorgan are enjoying so much success and that you've gotten so many new bodies down this season. there's a need for a club in that part of dublin. but don't give us the holier than thou stuff about it "not being like any of those other clubs", rugby is rugby is rugby lads so let's all just enjoy playing it and get the beers in afterwards.

Rant over

You don't really know what you are talking about unless you have played or trained in Stillorgan. There is holier than thou attitude in the club against any of the old boys clubs.

I played in one of the old boys clubs (Old Belvedere) and I hated it. I was never made feel welcome at any point I was there. I was an outcast because I didn't go to their school, or even a decent rugby playing school.

It made me give up the game after playing it for 16 years straight, that's how much I hated it.

After 2 years of not playing, I joined Stillorgan at the start of last season. The captain of the J4 team at the time saw a post I made on here about looking for a club and invited me down. I haven't looked back once since that day. He originally invited me down for a game of tip rugby with a few of the lads during the summer as pre-season training hadn't started. From that day I was made welcome to the club. I can safely say that I won't leave Stillorgan. The club is so friendly and welcoming to players of all ages and abilities. There is a great buzz in the club and in the last year and a half have established the club with great success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 j4supporter

Same situation for us... which is just pants.

We ended up training with the emerald warriors at their grounds a few weeks ago as a result.

Is that tymon park? Cause if it is, Im sure that is a public park so you can train there. Also,, it was Tallaght's ground before Tallaght moved down to Kiltipper and only then did the warriors take over Tymon.

Just as a matter of interest, do tallaght ever use the bottom pitch in Tymon Park? That wasa great pitch after SDCC developed it and then it hasn't been used since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 woggas

superb post\blog op, I'm new to boards, but have read this from start to finish..I'm coaching a team that are at the same level as your team, and we get a lot of lads who are just starting out playing rugby, so its really interesting to get an insight into what players who are new to rugby get out of the training...

Keep up the training, from reading this you seem to be learning and more importantly really enjoying it..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Is that tymon park? Cause if it is, Im sure that is a public park so you can train there. Also,, it was Tallaght's ground before Tallaght moved down to Kiltipper and only then did the warriors take over Tymon.

Nah, they (emerald warriors) train at grounds that are a couple of mins away from tymon park [ around in ballyboden]. Its not actually a pitch.. more of a green area with no goal posts etc but they have dressing rooms and more importantly - flood lights!
    Just as a matter of interest, do tallaght ever use the bottom pitch in Tymon Park? That wasa great pitch after SDCC developed it and then it hasn't been used since.

.. tallght only play at either kiltipper or at tallght community college (which I believe is also emarald warriors 2nd ground). However the pitch you refer to finally got goal posts erected there during the summer but I don't know if it has been used to date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Bryn wrote: »
    There is a great buzz in the club and in the last year and a half have established the club with great success.

Very interesting comment. Kudos for Stillorgan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭FishFood

I have to point out that while Stillorgan may indeed have that atmosphere etc described above, I myself joined one of the so called 'old boys' clubs in the past year. In this case its St Marys and I have to say you would be very hard pushed to find a more welcoming atmosphere.

Theres guys from various schools, counties and even countries playing on this team and there is no exclusion whatsoever. There is the obvious friendly banter/rivalry but at the end of the day everyone is made feel welcome and are down the pub together as a team.

And its not just say the J5 team I am on but the entire club goes out of its way to make you feel welcome etc from the 1st team down to the vets. So the atmosphere isn't just limited to clubs like stillorgan etc, I cannot speak for every other club but it is definately to be found in mine anyway. The buzz of teams performing well in leagues is there plus the thrill of playing for a club with a proud rugby history and tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Warriors train in Ballbrook and yes the bottom pitch in Tymon is the main pitch now because it actually has drainage and isn't flooded from October till April like the top pitch, which currently has no posts as the locals somehow managed to get a car up and knock them down:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

FishFood wrote: »
    I have to point out that while Stillorgan may indeed have that atmosphere etc described above, I myself joined one of the so called 'old boys' clubs in the past year. In this case its St Marys and I have to say you would be very hard pushed to find a more welcoming atmosphere.

Theres guys from various schools, counties and even countries playing on this team and there is no exclusion whatsoever. There is the obvious friendly banter/rivalry but at the end of the day everyone is made feel welcome and are down the pub together as a team.

And its not just say the J5 team I am on but the entire club goes out of its way to make you feel welcome etc from the 1st team down to the vets. So the atmosphere isn't just limited to clubs like stillorgan etc, I cannot speak for every other club but it is definately to be found in mine anyway. The buzz of teams performing well in leagues is there plus the thrill of playing for a club with a proud rugby history and tradition.

That is exactly the atmosphere that should be in every club!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Went down around 7.15, togged out and went outside, it was freezing so I kept the beanie hat on. Within about 7-8mins of the warm-up game of tip I went to catch the ball but it was just out of reach bending back my baby finger, the pain of it subsided to swelling, ive sprained it badly id say, should see it this morning, black and blue and nearly the size of my thumb ha ha

We have a match against Marys on Sunday so im praying it will be ok for that.

Did some running at the start which burned the lungs off me over the cold air, after that we did some line-out training, I couldn’t lift the guy in front over the finger so one of the lads swapped places with me, which meant I was doing the rip after that.

We did some mauling and cleaning out and then had a match against the J4 lads who were training together.

It was interesting as I tried to run the ball as much as possible when I had it without damaging my finger further. We held up well I think, I still had a couple of time where I was watching the ruck intently and found myself waiting in line with the number ten when I should have been behind him. Couple of the lads would pull me on the shirt and I was right again. I love the way your team mates are always looking out for ya, there is a good team spirit in rugby I think and especially in Stillorgan.

Went home and washed about a ton of muck off me and splinted up the finger. Im hoping it will be ok for Sunday, if not ill tape the **** out of it and play anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Well, did ye play on sunday then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Well, did ye play on sunday then?
    Nope. Match called off. Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭thebossanova

Here's hoping for a full weekend of fixtures to get the leagues back on track! At this rate the league will be finishing in June. And I havn't played a game in a month nearly!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Here's hoping for a full weekend of fixtures to get the leagues back on track! At this rate the league will be finishing in June. And I havn't played a game in a month nearly!

Bumping this thread. As it's very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭FishFood

I think the last few weekends have seen the matches back on track? i dont know if stillorgan have been playing but i know clontarf, clondalkin, marys and terenure have had matches recently, J5's anyway.

I was watching the J5 Marys v terenure match on saturday, terenure look very strong indeed. They seemed to be a level or 2 above the marys team anyway but extremely poor sportmanship from what i saw anyway. Players were actually laughing at the others on the pitch which i havent seen before, way above the odd bit of banter that goes on, they didnt show any respect at all. Fair enough they were clearly better but i just didnt think it was decent to be doing it, maybe i am wrong.

How are stillorgan etc getting on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

I think the last few weekends have seen the matches back on track? i dont know if stillorgan have been playing but i know clontarf, clondalkin, marys and terenure have had matches recently, J5's anyway.

I was watching the J5 Marys v terenure match on saturday, terenure look very strong indeed. They seemed to be a level or 2 above the marys team anyway but extremely poor sportmanship from what i saw anyway. Players were actually laughing at the others on the pitch which i havent seen before, way above the odd bit of banter that goes on, they didnt show any respect at all. Fair enough they were clearly better but i just didnt think it was decent to be doing it, maybe i am wrong.

We played Malahide at the weekend on what was a super pitch beside the sea.
    Was not even dirty coming off it.
    Won 19 -10
    The ref was good too.
    Have Terenure away next weekend which will be a very hard task going on results as theys eem to be whipping teams whilst everyone else seems capable of beating each other.
    Think Cronin J broke his finger hence lack of updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

extremely poor sportmanship from what i saw anyway. Players were actually laughing at the others on the pitch which i havent seen before, way above the odd bit of banter that goes on
    Terenure in being knob jockey's shocker!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Going back tomorrow, fecked the finger alright, can just start to bend it so im going back to mucking in tomrrow. Had a mad looking splint on my hand.

What have i learned from it? Not to go for the ball unless i know i can recieve it properly ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Yeah also was at this game. The support they brought was worse. Drinking on the sideline and jeering players trying to catch high balls etc. Stupid carry on for a junior game that wasnt even close

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

cronin_j wrote: »
    Going back tomorrow, fecked the finger alright, can just start to bend it so im going back to mucking in tomrrow. Had a mad looking splint on my hand.

What have i learned from it? Not to go for the ball unless i know i can recieve it properly ha ha

Important lesson to learn that one lol Not always practical to apply in full flight mind you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Bod13

Yeah also was at this game. The support they brought was worse. Drinking on the sideline and jeering players trying to catch high balls etc. Stupid carry on for a junior game that wasnt even close

Lads they are Gick players and supporters, would you expect any better? It was a low level junior game where from the sounds of things they were far superior and their carry on sounds like what you would here at a football match. From the look of the j5 league they seem far better than j5 standard and yet there are numerous teams in the j4 leagues who dont seem up to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

cronin_j wrote: »
    Going back tomorrow, fecked the finger alright, can just start to bend it so im going back to mucking in tomrrow.

So cronin_j, did you make it back last night??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 j4supporter

Bod13 wrote: »
    Lads they are Gick players and supporters, would you expect any better? It was a low level junior game where from the sounds of things they were far superior and their carry on sounds like what you would here at a football match. From the look of the j5 league they seem far better than j5 standard and yet there are numerous teams in the j4 leagues who dont seem up to it

This is not the first time Terenure have done this. They always play teams a level below what they should be at to make sure that they win something. Must be to compensate for their 1sts. Or maybe that was the plan for the 1sts.

Good luck with the finger Cronin. Broke a couple myself. Always weary taking the first few passes after going back.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

357 points in 6 games for terenure in J5.
    Its a bit ridiculous that they can get away with things like this.
    Not only bad sportsmanship but deliberately making a mockery of the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

ahem, bump...

So training should be starting back fully from this week on for all clubs with (hopefully) a full line up of matches this weekend. How about a resurrection of this thread too?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement