Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so... I started playing rugby

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Was the tibula skinny one thank fcuk compared to shin bone.

Think its nearly impossible not have a break when ankle dislocates.

Perhaps i will have complications but well cross that bridge when it appears.

Looking forward to just going for a walk again and doing some fishing

got stitches out yesterday 23 in total surgeon getting paid by the stitch obv:pac: and need have small procedure to get ascrew out in 6 weeks then rehab
    could be bad ligament and tendon damage but ill take my time and get on the scoreboard a bit more next year

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭De Deraco

I did the very same injury Dislocate and break. had a plate and 6 screws I left them in I was out from March to September. but recovery was fine. do all the Physio and you'll be fine main thing is to build up the strenght in it again.

For now relax and try not to get too Fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

sickpuppy wrote: »
    Was the tibula skinny one thank fcuk compared to shin bone.

Think its nearly impossible not have a break when ankle dislocates.

Perhaps i will have complications but well cross that bridge when it appears.

Looking forward to just going for a walk again and doing some fishing

got stitches out yesterday 23 in total surgeon getting paid by the stitch obv:pac: and need have small procedure to get ascrew out in 6 weeks then rehab
    could be bad ligament and tendon damage but ill take my time and get on the scoreboard a bit more next year

Tibia is the shin so i think you mean the fibula!

You'll be ok with that one so if it was the shin also its a hell of a lot worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

hopefully i will be adding to this thread come august/september :D

horrible to hear bout that broken leg tho

hopefully i will be adding to this thread come august/september :D

horrible to hear bout that broken leg tho

Fair play to ya get out good and early with whatever club your going to join im sure youll have no regrets its a great game and the social scene is super too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

thanks as i said on another thread just lookin to pack on muscle over next few months. im really looking forward to it!!! i always liked the game watching and playing for fun(actually nearly broke my leg one xmas day lol) but never had the confidence to start playing for a real team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

So its coming towards the end of the season now......you want to give us an update Cronin? You playing next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

De Deraco wrote: »
    I did the very same injury Dislocate and break. had a plate and 6 screws I left them in I was out from March to September. but recovery was fine. do all the Physio and you'll be fine main thing is to build up the strenght in it again.

For now relax and try not to get too Fat.

Too late :P ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Good thread. Enjoyable read. Probably played against you Cronin. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Season is now over so ill give my thoughts on the year gone by...

I’m delighted I started into playing rugby, and I’m fortunate I found such a friendly club to play in, that definitely brought me through those times I found tough and hard.

Looking back over the year, I ruled myself out of playing allot of the matches over the weekends, partly I was afraid I’d leave the team down and the other part is I wasn’t around... I was travelling down the country to attend Munster matches and also down to my homestead in Limerick.

I’m going to go back and this year I will involve myself in more of the social events and also the matches, joining a rugby club is kind of like a small step in your after work life and then once you’re in the door, the events, training, matches etc come thick and fast. It’s as much a social outlet as it is hard training and playing.

I have the rugby basics now, so now I just need to keep at the training and really enjoy myself.

I’m going back to training in August, and I hope those of you who would be thinking about joining a club will read the thread and then get off your arse and join, here I am a year later and I haven’t regretted a day of it.

I can contiue updating this thread In August if those that have been reading it so wish..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LeopoldButters

A great thread cronin and it will be great to see how u get on next year but just do you know pre season with Stillorgan will be starting on Thursday July 1st like last season - every Thursday in July there will be some light pre season training and then from August back to every Tuesday and Thursday. You should try make it up for some of these sessions in July as it's a good way to warm up for proper pre season and a good way to hang out with the lads during the summer.

For any new lads wanting to give rugby a go or who want to get back into it these session are open to new players also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

Hey cronin, what is the age range in Stillorgan rfc. I'm 18 and finishing up my LC, on my way to college and one thing i don't want to leave behind is rugby. Also judging by the amount of players who tog out, i presume there are different levels of teams? You know like As Bs Cs that kind of thing? Just wondering wether everyone who shows up gets a run out.

It's J2, J4 and J5 in Stillorgan - what team you play for really comes down to your ability and what level you what to play at. You should send them a mail or else just head up training and get involved

jolley123 wrote: »
    Hey cronin, what is the age range in Stillorgan rfc. I'm 18 and finishing up my LC, on my way to college and one thing i don't want to leave behind is rugby. Also judging by the amount of players who tog out, i presume there are different levels of teams? You know like As Bs Cs that kind of thing? Just wondering wether everyone who shows up gets a run out.

Last year the age range was 18 to 47.
    Plenty of young guys age will not really matter if your good enough your old enough.
    Pop down for training and the traditional sevens tournament late august where teams are picked out of a hat is agreat day to show what youve got.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭thebossanova

jolley123 wrote: »

What college are you off to? They'll have a team as well, and most colleges cater for all levels! Make sure you check them out during Freshers week/Clubs & Socs day when you start! Depending on the college, you could play colleges rugby(who play games on Wednesdays afaik) and then play junior rugby at the weekends for a club (like, but not necessarily, Stillorgan :D)

So... Training is back on this Thursday!

Anyone heading down that hasnt before? Now is the time to get in there, you wont be long making friends..

I personally cant wait, although i expect to be in ribbons Friday morning from the running as i havent done a tap since season end..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

cronin_j wrote: »

Anyone heading down that hasnt before? Now is the time to get in there, you wont be long making friends..

I personally cant wait, although i expect to be in ribbons Friday morning from the running as i havent done a tap since season end..

That's early. I thought it was early August teams went back to Training...

That's early. I thought it was early August teams went back to Training...

Well its Thursdays only till August and then it goes to Tuesdays and Thursdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,690 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

.. I know Malahide RFC started training last Tuesday. :eek:

cronin_j wrote: »

ah it should be handy enough for the first couple weeks as alot of lads are still away on holiday or still playing tag this week but its sometimes good to start into these things at a slower pace :)

• Advertisement

Good luck John hope ya can make a real go of it this year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

My first full season coming up. Had one full game in a J-4 cup and lost. The team i was training with last year who won their league is being split up so i'm not entirely sure who i'll be playing with next season. Looking forward to getting back into it though.

.. I know Malahide RFC started training last Tuesday. :eek:

That's crazy. When are Leinster back training? Surely the senior players are going on hols now and not back to training until late July or August?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

That's crazy. When are Leinster back training? Surely the senior players are going on hols now and not back to training until late July or August?

Munster started back this week anyway. Apart from those on tour anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I know a Leinster League team that arent starting for 3 more weeks. Seems very early for J4,5 level.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Were not pros though so hence off season we end up getting fatter and slower and need the extra fitness training :)

castie wrote: »
    Were not pros though so hence off season we end up getting fatter and slower and need the extra fitness training :)

F*ck. I better get out training myself so :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Clontarf don't start till August at the earliest....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

shoutman wrote: »

the firsts started soon enough though I believe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭A-Train

shoutman wrote: »

Is that the J4 and J5 teams that don't start back until then? I was thinking of joining either to get back into rugby haven't played in years. Do you have anymore information.

Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement