Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorway driving

Options
  • 14-12-2009 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I know this has been done to death but something has to be done about peoples inability to drive on motorways. Is it lazyness, ignorance or just plain stupidity?

Irish people catch on fairly quick when they are in other countries, why can't they do it in their own country.

Is there anything that can be done to solve this problem? Could we get the government to have a campaign for proper motorway driving like they have for drink driving or country driving.

Could the government insist that the guards and traffic corps enforce the rules on the motorway to try and improve the standard of driving.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Licensed hunting of rubberneckers, lane hoggers and tailgaters. We could market it as a tourist product without upsetting the green lobby who don't like hunting animals. Those new gantry motorway signs could double as shooting platforms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Ignorance and pure pigheadedness imo, "why should I get out of the fast lane, I'm the bestest and fastest driver in the world" mentality. Or something :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Licensed hunting of rubberneckers, lane hoggers and tailgaters. We could market it as a tourist product without upsetting the green lobby who don't like hunting animals. Those new gantry motorway signs could double as shooting platforms.

It's as simple as the Gardai enforcing the current laws that are in place, the revenue that could be made for the state by simply enforcing the laws would be phenomenal for the first few months or until people cop on and start to drive correctly.

The hogging of lanes 2 and 3 on motorways is quite ridiculous in this country and if you flash somebody to get out of the way they never move! It just becomes a challenge to them to make sure you don't get by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Fcukface

Absurdum wrote: »
    Ignorance and pure pigheadedness imo, "why should I get out of the fast lane, I'm the bestest and fastest driver in the world" mentality. Or something :pac:

People thinking its a "fast lane" is another problem, they think its a lane for going fast in, its not, its for overtaking, its called an overtaking lane.

celticbest wrote: »
    It's as simple as the Gardai enforcing the current laws that are in place, the revenue that could be made for the state by simply enforcing the laws would be phenomenal for the first few months or until people cop on and start to drive correctly.

The hogging of lanes 2 and 3 on motorways is quite ridiculous in this country and if you flash somebody to get out of the way they never move! It just becomes a challenge to them to make sure you don't get by.

I completly aggree. There would be a few million in fines the government could use to help sort this country out

• Advertisement

My most hated manoeuvre on a motorway is when a driver flicks on there indicator then pulls straight out in front of you, it's as if the use of the indicator clears the lane just for them.....you then have to jam on to make sure your not the one who ends up rear ending them.

If your unfortunate enough to end up in the back of the vehicle then when the Gardai arrive and see that the fool who pulled in front of you got hit from behind they automatically think it's your fault because you rear ended them. As per the rules of the road!

My most hated manoeuvre on a motorway is when a driver flicks on there indicator then pulls straight out in front of you, it's as if the use of the indicator clears the lane just for them.....you then have to jam on to make sure your not the one who ends up rear ending them.

If your unfortunate enough to end up in the back of the vehicle then when the Gardai arrive and see that the fool who pulled in front of you got hit from behind they automatically think it's your fault because you rear ended them. As per the rules of the road!

This happened to me except the guy didnt indicate, just pulled out and slammed on his breaks and I went into the back of him. All damage was to my car and nothing to his except a broken bottle of wine. He drove away happy he was ok, I was left siting on the side of the M50 with a dented front end and a bonnet that wouldnt close properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,943 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Fcukface wrote: »
    This happened to me except the guy didnt indicate, just pulled out and slammed on his breaks and I went into the back of him. All damage was to my car and nothing to his except a broken bottle of wine. He drove away happy he was ok, I was left siting on the side of the M50 with a dented front end and a bonnet that wouldnt close properly.

Did you get his reg?

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Stark wrote: »
    Did you get his reg?

We stopped and exchanged insurance but I know if I went to court over it he would have won, I hit him and it would have been my word against his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Common practise in the Netherlands.

Very well bahaved on the German Autobahn, mainly because there could be a 100km/h difference in speed between you in the fast lane doing 120 and the guy in the Overtaking lane doing 220.

Problem i've seen is a queue of cars on the road in Ireland ... i.e. a queue of at least 10 - 15 cars all wanting the f*cker in his way to get out of it in the overtaking lane and me sitting in the left lane all by myself. The mentality being if they go in they won't get back out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

We stopped and exchanged insurance but I know if I went to court over it he would have won, I hit him and it would have been my word against his.

Its for this reason I'd be tempted to fit a camera to my car.

hobochris wrote: »
    Its for this reason I'd be tempted to fit a camera to my car.

That sounds like a good idea but would it stand up in court??.... Is video evidence allowed in court??

For fear you were taking me too literally, the point is that if there was a real possibility of detecting bad behaviour and consequences for the perpetrator, you will quickly see a change in that behaviour.
    I wouldn't really advocate the killing of other human beings for sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

Couldn't those new electonic signs that you see on some motorways (eg. m50) be used to occasionally display reminder messages such as: "Keep to left lane unless overtaking" or something to that effect??

Or else just put up some regular stationary signs on motors that says the same thing. I really believe for most people they just don't understand the way its meant to work. And because the vast majority of people seem to be in that category it breeds ignorance in new drivers. After all, its not tested in the driving test. It may come up in a theory question but even then new drivers may not understand how it's meant to work in practice.

Of course it should be introduced in a the driving test too ...

Paulj wrote: »
    Couldn't those new electonic signs that you see on some motorways (eg. m50) be used to occasionally display reminder messages such as: "Keep to left lane unless overtaking" or something to that effect??

Or else just put up some regular stationary signs on motors that says the same thing. I really believe for most people they just don't understand the way its meant to work. And because the vast majority of people seem to be in that category it breeds ignorance in new drivers. After all, its not tested in the driving test. It may come up in a theory question but even then new drivers may not understand how it's meant to work in practice.

Of course it should be introduced in a the driving test too ...

With the new style Gantry signs on the M50 there is space on each of these to put up electronic signs over each lane, these could be installed and used to supply correct driving information eg, lanes 2 & 3 for overtaking only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭jungleboy

It just seems crazy to me that you can get a driving license without having to drive on the motorway, it is after all one of the most dangerous places to drive?

jungleboy wrote: »
    It just seems crazy to me that you can get a driving license without having to drive on the motorway, it is after all one of the most dangerous places to drive?

You are much less likely to be involved in a crash on a motorway. When crashes do happen, they tend to be very serious. Overall, they are much safer per mile driven on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

I guess the main problem is that not everywhere in the country has motorways, and to ensure the test is fair for everyone they must all be tested in the same way.

They should introduce a 2nd stage of the test whereby you'd have to travel to somewhere that you can be tested for motorway driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Is there anything that can be done to solve this problem?

The best way to start would be to copy a driving license system that works, like Germany, so many hours in a class and driving lessons with a qualified driving instructor. We need to scrap the learner permit and only allow people drive who have passed the test. Its beyond a joke when a person who fails a driving test is allowed to drive home, WTF!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Paulj wrote: »

Nah, too busy displaying much more important messages such as:
    Sign under test (M50 southbound at Red Cow for about 3 weeks now)
    Caution Fog
    "Drogheda 19
    Dundalk 25" (GAA Scores??? :P)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

No provisional licence holders are allowed on a motorway.

I know that, but when you do a test for a full licence you don't have to travel on a motorway to pass!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Mossy Monk wrote: »

I don't think that was the point. The point is that you can sit a test that does not cover any motorway driving, and after passing jump out onto a motorway without a clue of how they work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I know that, but when you do a test for a full licence you don't have to travel on a motorway to pass!

that is quite daft isnt it!

The safest roads barred to the most inexperianced drivers....who then (when they pass a test) get a license to travel on them having never done so.... possibly a newly qualified fdriver should be required to take an hours instruction on the Mway with a qualified Instructor before their new license is ratified.

I like the motorway signs idea, that could work.

The point about provisional drivers not being allowed drive on the motorway does not stop them. I work with people who are on provisional licences and they drive to work everyday on the M50, these people definitly don't know how to drive on a motorway.

Their should defintily be a motorway section to the driving test and manditory classes would be very benificial, but are the government going to pay for this now in the current climate.

I don't think its fair to say the the current driving test dosn't take motorway driving into consideration because allot of people in Ireland won't use motorways. Even if you use a motorway once in your life it should still be part of the test, its a part of driving. Most people in Ireland will never have to use the hand signals to indicate where they are going but we still have to know them and we are still tested on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Their should defintily be a motorway section to the driving test and manditory classes would be very benificial, but are the government going to pay for this now in the current climate.

Make the student pay for it!

Heroditas wrote: »
    Make the student pay for it!

Good idea, and another way for the government to make money

maybe the insurance companies should be made to pay?

maybe the insurance companies should be made to pay?

It could be considered a good investment for them, if they paid to educate their clients they may save on paying for claims for accidents caused by bad drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭rohatch

DonJose wrote: »
    The best way to start would be to copy a driving license system that works, like Germany, so many hours in a class and driving lessons with a qualified driving instructor. We need to scrap the learner permit and only allow people drive who have passed the test. Its beyond a joke when a person who fails a driving test is allowed to drive home, WTF!!!

I had some German friends in 92 and they said it was 50 hours compulsory training, it costs about 1,000 euros all up.

We should do at least 30 hours here, the standard of driving is awful, and the condition of our roads just makes it even worse.

1st 10 hours in a sealed car park. Then an assessment to see if you are ready for the road. Then 15 hours on the back roads graduating to larger more built up roads. A competency test to see if you are ready to sit the driving test followed by another 5 hours after you pass your test with at least 3 hours on motorways.
    Mossy Monk wrote: »

Its crazy. If they do go on a motorway unaccompanied .. and have an accident the are still covered by their insurance. Thats the 1st problem.
    2nd problem is we need the Gardai to enforce the laws that we have already, and the 3rd problem is we need to speed up the court process.

Advertisement