Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you cook meat?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

I think the point here is that at the end of the day very few vegetarians would not try to accomadate someone with food phobias, eating disorders or allergies or intolerances when it came to it but there is always going to be an option that doens't require meat like a really good cheeseboard and selection of chutneys and gournet breads for example.
    Where we might have a problem is where someone is just being stuborn about not giving vegetarian food a try because they are convinced that it's going to be manky for no good reason, but if it was me that was a meat eater going to a vegetarian friends house i certainly wouldn't make a fuss about it, I wouldn't even let anyone know about it if I could help it all.
    At the end of the day these arguements get very heated but it's important to rememember that the VAST MAJORITY of vegetarians are consciencious, considerate and caring people who do not want to make anyone uncomfortable just like anyone else (if they did why would they bother inviting anyone to dinner in the first place).
    We're just normal people and usually choose to be vegetarian because we care about animals, which can hardly be considered a selfish thing to do, quite the opposite so why would be be exhibiting outright and unnecessary selfish behaviour in other aspects of our lives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Oh ok thanks, no as much as I used to enjoy meat, my conscience won't allow me to anymore. It's a struggle and the temptation is rampant everytime I'm in a supermarket despite being a veggie for years but I love animals too much and would feel like a hypocrite if I started eating the stuff again. I can live without it theres plenty of other nice stuff to eat in the world.
    Glad to see you understand my points earlier in the post about the difference between a vegetarian who simply dislikes that taste of meat etc and someone who choses not to eat it for moral reasons etc.. not wanting to prepare it for someone else to eat.

I have a natural craving(like everyone, some people block it out) for meat, and it makes me feel healthier. I have eaten meat once a week but Im much better physically when I have a little every day or even every 2nd day, but at the moment I dont eat as much dairy so its meat every day. but only free range and Im going to a local organic butcher.

I love animals and I'd go out of my way to help them, any animal, cat,dog,crow,mouse, even insects believe it or not. I dont kill blue bottles, I catch them and release them, even ants, I collected them all during a breakout last summer, was time consuming but they have as much a right to be here than me. none of them became aggressive, so they werent harmed at all when I caught them.

I built a hut for a stray cat last week because of the strong wind and rain, couldnt take it in as its over 200miles away! I prefer animals to humans in some way, but I will still eat them, because its natural for me. just like its natural for a cat to try and kill and eat a mouse, but I will treat both equally

I cant deny my human nature, but I also respect mother nature.

a really good cheeseboard and selection of chutneys and gournet breads for example.

that would keep me happy but I could survive a meat free meal but I dont understand how a vegetarian could have no problem with supporting dairy farming when they think keeping a cow for meat is bad. I guess theres more than 1 type of vegetarian, just like theres more than 1 type of meat eater!

I have a natural craving(like everyone, some people block it out) for meat, and it makes me feel healthier. I have eaten meat once a week but Im much better physically when I have a little every day or even every 2nd day, but at the moment I dont eat as much dairy so its meat every day. but only free range and Im going to a local organic butcher.

I love animals and I'd go out of my way to help them, any animal, cat,dog,crow,mouse, even insects believe it or not. I dont kill blue bottles, I catch them and release them, even ants, I collected them all during a breakout last summer, was time consuming but they have as much a right to be here than me. none of them became aggressive, so they werent harmed at all when I caught them.

I built a hut for a stray cat last week because of the strong wind and rain, couldnt take it in as its over 200miles away! I prefer animals to humans in some way, but I will still eat them, because its natural for me. just like its natural for a cat to try and kill and eat a mouse, but I will treat both equally

I cant deny my human nature, but I also respect mother nature.

Thats cool you help make the world a little better by helping stray animals etc and I choose to help by not eating them, it's all the same ball game!
    I'm not saying people who love animals and eat meat are hypocrites, but rather that because of how I feel about it personally that for me to then go and eat meat would be being hypocritical to myself if you know what I mean :) I've also got five cats and am glad to hear of other people doing their bit to look out for the poor ones with no one to look after them!

that would keep me happy but I could survive a meat free meal but I dont understand how a vegetarian could have no problem with supporting dairy farming when they think keeping a cow for meat is bad. I guess theres more than 1 type of vegetarian, just like theres more than 1 type of meat eater!

There certainly is! well I try not to eat dairy 99% of the time but only for health reasons. Irish dairy cows are very well looked after compared to the rest of europe and america atc so I don't see a problem with buying Irish dairy products as they are free range and lead relatively natural happy lives. I live in a rural area and the local dairy farmers really care about their animals it's really sweet. The odd time I get a few litres of fresh from the cow milk from a neighbour and make paneer for a curry and if I were to buy cheese it would always be Irish and from a cheesemonger I know who knows all the Irish producers of the cheese he sellls personally.

• Advertisement

Thats cool you help make the world a little better by helping stray animals etc and I choose to help by not eating them, it's all the same ball game!
    I'm not saying people who love animals and eat meat are hypocrites, but rather that because of how I feel about it personally that for me to then go and eat meat would be being hypocritical to myself if you know what I mean :) I've also got five cats and am glad to hear of other people doing their bit to look out for the poor ones with no one to look after them!

heres the little guy, he's up in the wilderness in Donegal, he followed me everywhere, down thru marsh land as I was taking some photos and sat at my window, he was at the door when we got home from the pub.
    hopefully someone starts looking after him but he looked healthy, he has plenty of wildlife around, wild deer come into the back all the time, not that he'd hunt them lol
    16545_359023755603_681875603_10306977_768666_n.jpg

Thats a class portrait really sharp and nice composition! Ya he looks well healthy but if they get cat flu they go down hill really fast, just keep and eye out for sneezing, coughing or runny gunky eyes, nose etc and take him straight to the vet if you see anyone these symptoms.. because it's easy for them to get run down in the cold if they're left outdoors. He's a realy beauty! I love the one little speck of back amongst the white on his nose, it looks like he's got a bit of dirt stuck on it.
    Man where you live sounds amazing! Is it real rough and raggedy heath and mountain?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Looks like it, most my family are from a place like that in donegal.

Thats a class portrait really sharp and nice composition! Ya he looks well healthy but if they get cat flu they go down hill really fast, just keep and eye out for sneezing, coughing or runny gunky eyes, nose etc and take him straight to the vet if you see anyone these symptoms.. because it's easy for them to get run down in the cold if they're left outdoors. He's a realy beauty! I love the one little speck of back amongst the white on his nose, it looks like he's got a bit of dirt stuck on it.
    Man where you live sounds amazing! Is it real rough and raggedy heath and mountain?

thanks, I love animal/nature photography.

he was getting a bit of a runny nose, I'll be back up there for new years eve. I dont live there, I'm in the city but I'm gonna try and get up there as much as possible. theres golden eagles and hawks, I wanna climb some mountains with my camera gear next time

heres another of him
    16545_365240630603_681875603_10386651_7383405_n.jpg
    its a beautiful place, our back garden! 16545_365010065603_681875603_10383109_3969662_n.jpg
    Im not exactly sure where the boundry is but nobody would mind if I crossed their land, theres a lake a bit down further, I shot some photos with velvia slide film of the landscape and cat so I'm lookin forward to seein how they turn out

:pac: Way to go off topic!

• Advertisement

:pac: Way to go off topic!

sorry, cant think of anything to argue about, any suggestions :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

its a beautiful place, our back garden! 16545_365010065603_681875603_10383109_3969662_n.jpg
    Im not exactly sure where the boundry is but nobody would mind if I crossed their land, theres a lake a bit down further, I shot some photos with velvia slide film of the landscape and cat so I'm lookin forward to seein how they turn out

that is gorgeous! lucky you :)

sorry, cant think of anything to argue about, any suggestions :o

F*ckin carnivores yer all a bunch of heartless mudering B*astards!

Too soon?...... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

well if they go out of their way too cook you a veggie meal you should be willing to do the same.....

Mousey- wrote: »
    well if they go out of their way too cook you a veggie meal you should be willing to do the same.....

We've just discussed at the length the various reasons for the usual unwillingness....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Mousey- wrote: »

Yep, I do go out of my way to cook them a veggie meal too, you are so right!

Yep, I do go out of my way to cook them a veggie meal too, you are so right!

:D I love the way you appear randomly in threads with yer cheeky little comments, very entertaining!

I'm jsut keeping a gleaming eye, all this ghey scenery is much better than the arguing, so everybody is happy. :)

I'm jsut keeping a gleaming eye, all this ghey scenery is much better than the arguing, so everybody is happy. :)

I'll top it off with this so
    16545_365175350603_681875603_10386014_3670992_n.jpg

HOW did this turn into a landscape and nature photography thread! :eek: Don't think anyone saw that coming... It's all a abit ghey really...
    Here's my contribution, this is de view from our mountain in Kerry (and from de back of my da's head)!

family photos 205.JPG

• Advertisement

It's very off topic. If anybody still wants to talk about the topic I can split the thread in two, just say.:)

Here is my home!

BeachAtHome.jpg

P1070104.jpg

P1060084.jpg

P1060083.jpg

Nah mang it's all good! It's like an episode of sesame street here at this stage ,where everyone learns to understand each others feelings and people of all coloursand creeds learn to live together!

/awestruck by the others gaffs.

Well Longford has broadband! SO there! ;)

Can I ask what camera's people are using?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Very jealous of people who live ^^^^

on the would you cook meat thing, I would usually cook it for guests if I had the money. Because I'll only buy free range organic meat it's a bit more expensive, so if I can't afford that, they can stick to the veggies. It also depends on who is visiting. Some are more than happy to eat veggies, some I will cook quorn for and some, like my grandparents and my father, I will cook meat for.

I am doing christmas dinner for my OH's family this year. Because I have never roasted a turkey or chicken before, I decided I needed to do a practise run. I had planned on having it ready for when my OH got back from work like a good little future wifey.

It took way too long to defrost, so I rang my mam who told me to put it into a sink of cold water and replace the water every half hour. That meant I had to touch it. :( Then she asked if I had taken the giblets out........

Poor K came home to find me crying over a half frozen turkeys body. Blabbing about it having little wings like a real bird and I couldn't put my hand up it's bum :o So it will have to be a rolled turkey or else someone else will have to cook it for christmas day. Moral of the story - I can cook meat if it doesn't look like a body.

Ugh I cant touch it either. It makes me ill.
    I had forgetten giblets existed. Yurgh!

Moonbaby wrote: »

Can I ask what camera's people are using?

Eos 1d mkII + EF 135mm F2L for the photos of the cat

Eos 300v + sigma 50mm f1.4 + fujicolor 200 film for the others

Some crap camera.

Eos 1d mkII + EF 135mm F2L for the photos of the cat

Eos 300v + sigma 50mm f1.4 + fujicolor 200 film for the others

Thanks!
    I'm looking to get myself a DSLR for christmas.
    I think I'd be too scared to start out with a film camera.
    I love your results though. Especially the rainbow cottage.

Some crap camera.

Your awesome Jager cake making friend took them. Didnt she!

• Advertisement

They'd look way better then, these are 5 years old, taken with a block of a thing :p

Advertisement