Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you cook meat?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Can understand peoples comments about not wishing to cook meat. Its a laudable sentiment.

My two cent worth.
    It becomes more difficult to be as rigid about things (including vegetarianism) when you get older and have responsibilities to others. My children like meat, even when they make the association between the thing on their plate and what animal it used to be. For that reason I will cook meat, in the grand scheme of things, any concerns about what I am cooking is nothing compared to my family.

I hope the kids when they get older choose to be veggie, but I certainly wont be forcing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Can understand peoples comments about not wishing to cook meat. Its a laudable sentiment.

My two cent worth.
    It becomes more difficult to be as rigid about things (including vegetarianism) when you get older and have responsibilities to others. My children like meat, even when they make the association between the thing on their plate and what animal it used to be. For that reason I will cook meat, in the grand scheme of things, any concerns about what I am cooking is nothing compared to my family.

I hope the kids when they get older choose to be veggie, but I certainly wont be forcing them.

Your comments come across as a little patronising are you assuming we're all students/teenagers without families or co-habitors and therfore don't understand the problems of the 'grown-up' world?
    As the previous poster commented we're talking about dinner parties NOT how to feed your kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Did you even read the previous post?
    You comments are a little patronising are you assuming we're all students/teenagers without families or co-habitors and therfore don't understand the problems of the 'grown-up' world?
    As the previous poster commented we're talking about dinner parties NOT how to feed your kids.

If I come across as patronising I apologise.

So cooking meat for dinner parties is repulsive, but cooking meat for your kids one day isn't? How can you go from absolute revulsion about the idea of cooking meat in one context and not say it will have a bearing on another?

So cooking meat for dinner parties is repulsive, but cooking meat for your kids one day isn't? How can you go from absolute revulsion about the idea of cooking meat in one context and not say it will have a bearing on another?

Of course I can say this, theres a fairly wopping big difference between a three course meal once in a persons life maybe and changing the eating habits of a child for years on end during a critical period of growth and development in which nutrition and lifestyle habits are of critical importance.
    I'm sorry I edited my previous post there because I misread your message as saying I cant understand the sentiment and was therefore overly harsh in my repsponse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

If I come across as patronising I apologise.

This is what I was trying to cover in my last post....there's a difference in living with someone be it a partner or kids and you have to make choices to suit both parties but it's very different to inviting people into your home for a meal. Your also assuming all of us would chose to not cook meat for a dinner party but would for our kids, I know plenty of veggie parents who have raised their kids veggie...not saying they are right or wrong but just because you chose to feed your kids meat doesn't mean every parent makes that same choice. I have several vegan friends dating omnivores, some have opted to make the adjustment of cooking meat for their partner others have opted not to, again not sayin one is right or wrong...everyones relationships are different and they way they chose to balance them is different but most of the time you don't know how you are going to tackle it until it comes up. It would be the same for people from different religions or cultures getting together - they will have to find a balance in their relationship for it to work. Not the same as having someone over for a meal. If I'm invited into someones house I will respect them and their beliefs as long as they don't clash with my own and I would expect the same in return. If you don't allow smoking in your house but a smoker arrived for a dinner party would you let them smoke?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Im sure if the roles were switched all your friends wouldnt think twice about preparing a vegitarian option for you. If not, shame on them.

Thats what really gets on my nervs about the "im not cooking corpse" vegitarians. Such a selfish aproach. Its like the whole religion arguement, you wouldnt have someone shoving a religion down your throat, why should it be any different for a food group, of lack there of?

Your forcing your ways on people who really dont have any interest in them. I myself would skip all vegitables if i could, i only eat them for dietry reasons. I LOVE meat. My gf, my best mate and his GF are all vegitarians, and i cook for them, and they have no problems cooking for me.

That whole "its your house you cook what you want" lark is a load of tripe. A good host considers their guests and doesnt make them uncomfortable by leaving such a staple part of their diet out. How awkward. I would really be uncomfortable eating in your houses, and im sure your guests would be too.

red_ice wrote: »
    Im sure if the roles were switched all your friends wouldnt think twice about preparing a vegitarian option for you. If not, shame on them.

Thats what really gets on my nervs about the "im not cooking corpse" vegitarians. Such a selfish aproach. Its like the whole religion arguement, you wouldnt have someone shoving a religion down your throat, why should it be any different for a food group, of lack there of?

Your forcing your ways on people who really dont have any interest in them. I myself would skip all vegitables if i could, i only eat them for dietry reasons. I LOVE meat. My gf, my best mate and his GF are all vegitarians, and i cook for them, and they have no problems cooking for me.

That whole "its your house you cook what you want" lark is a load of tripe. A good host considers their guests and doesnt make them uncomfortable by leaving such a staple part of their diet out. How awkward. I would really be uncomfortable eating in your houses, and im sure your guests would be too.

:eek: OMG did you even bother to read this thread before you posted!!??
    Who exactly is forcing anyone to do anything here? We're talking about an INVITATION to a dinner party. If you are that repulsed by vegetarian cooking YOU [EMAIL="DON@T"]DON'T[/EMAIL] HAVE TO GO! Don't worry about it we won't track you don't and shoot you or anything (as vegetarians it's not in our nature)
    And believe me with my cooking and the effort I go to for my dinner parties the last thing anyone is is unconfortable, I'm sure those boardsies who attended my BBQ last year can agree with me on that one. I spoil my guests rotten and put a massive effort into what I make and have the house spottless for them and usually people comment that they are really impressed.
    You're obviously a seriously closed minded person or didn't read the previous posts, should set gillian McKeith on you and get you to eat your veggies like a good grown up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Well I guess I won't be inviting you around for a meal then.....my house my rules, might think it's tripe but thats my choice and I'm sure you've got a few yourself wither you like to admit it or not. I don't let people smoke in my house, I also don't let people drink alcohol in my house and I've two cats that stay in the house and if people don't like them then they can leave simple as. If not being served meat as a food at a dinner party makes you feel uncomfortable then honestly you've issues.

ztoical wrote: »
    I've two cats that stay in the house and if people don't like them then they can leave simple as.

Sorry goign waaay off topic here but God I used to hate that when we shared a house, other housemates mates would come round see our toerag cats moping about and then proceed to talk about how much they hate cats and how they'd like to torture any cats if they could only get their hands on any, total psychos, to say you actually HATE a mammal or any kind is biggoted (can I use that word) and stupid. Can you imagine someeone getting away with saying that about a dog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    No. The idea of having meat (a socially acceptable word for a piece of animal carcass) in my kitchen disgusts me. It's perfectly possible to cook a good meal for people without meat, I've often done it. I can't imagine any of my friends or family expecting me to warm up animal cadavers just for them.

If your guests really need meat in their dinner then find a restaurant, it's your kitchen and your principles - they should respect that.

Your choice is your choice, thats fair enough, but your tone about us meat eaters makes me feel a bit like a caveman. Are you a vegetarian because its your choice or because its a chance to look down on people ?

To the OP, I dont think it matters either way, I wouldn't be offended if a friend said didnt want to cook meat, I would feel bad if they did and it made them uncomfortable.

The important thing is to let them know well before hand what your intending, and try to accommodate there tastes if your going veggie (I m guessing simpler foods like pizza )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Not necessarily. Cooking a good balanced vegetarian meal isn't all that easy, especially if you don't do it as a routine thing, so I wouldn't really be surprised if someone said they just didn't know what to do, and sorry. Often just eating the bits that aren't meat is fine and no offence taken...

And forcing someone to cook meat isn't shoving your beliefs down their throat?

Sorry, it's really not forcing anything. They are welcome to use your facilities and cook meat if they want to, or to not eat the food you have so graciously prepared.

Make them uncomfortable? Not having meat around makes you uncomfortable? also I really wouldn't get into the nutrition of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Im a meat lover, but im well used to eating in a veggies house. As a poster said above you go to ones house for the company and not specifically for the food.
    That being said however i would never expect them to cook me meat. Its their house, their choice of food and tbh they can whip up some amazing food, I always look forward to going to their place for some munch :D

OP Im sure whoever is coming to your house for dinner can go one night without meat, hell i could go weeks without meat as long as im eating something tasty. When a meat eater hears that they are going to a veggies house they (as i once thought) think that everything is gonna be rice cakes or tofu.

Whatever you cook make sure its tastey, and i will donate my taste buds to ensure such tastiness has been accomplished by yourself :D

Jaysus im hungry now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

seclachi wrote: »
    Your choice is your choice, thats fair enough, but your tone about us meat eaters makes me feel a bit like a caveman.
    Really? I never mentioned you "meat eaters" at all.
    Are you a vegetarian because its your choice or because its a chance to look down on people ?

Again, there's no basis for this reaction. It's ok though, I'm used to this overly defensive and dismissive reaction... and no it's not just me, many other vegetarians get it all the time.

Again, there's no basis for this reaction. It's ok though, I'm used to this overly defensive and dismissive reaction... and no it's not just me, many other vegetarians get it all the time.

This is gonna turn nasty pretty quick if BOTH sides don't try to play nice..

This is gonna turn nasty pretty quick if BOTH sides don't try to play nice..

Nothing nasty there, I just dislike being misquoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

I wouldn't cook meat, because I honestly would have no idea how to, and would be terrified I'd poison my guests! Though people who stopped eating meat later in life might know how I suppose. Really though, one night without meat isn't going to kill them, they'll get over it!
    On the other hand, if I'm going to someones house for dinner, I'd always ask them if they'd like me to bring something veggie for my main, or let them know I'm happy to just eat the non-meat parts of dinner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Dont get me wrong, im not trying to start a fight, but the way you describe meat makes me feel a bit like flesh eating zombie. People dont describe fruit as animal genitals, or lettuce as dead foliage. I honestly think your just as defensive yourself anyway.

I`m totally with vegetarians, simply because its there option. My mother is a celiac, and faces a similar dilemma with going out and eating (in some respects its worse, she can get sick if she eats something that may only have a small bit of flour in it.)

Nothing nasty there, I just dislike being misquoted.

I didn't mean to imply you were being nasty or that anyone has been so far but rather that it would be very easy for this thread to descend into another one where everyone's just making generalisations about each other and another decent thread'll just get ruined. I can't handle another vegetarians are b*astards no meat eaters are b*astards thread at this stage!

but the way you describe meat makes me feel a bit like flesh eating zombie.

it's how I see meat and why I don't eat it.
    People dont describe fruit as animal genitals,

They'd be a bit mad if they did now wouldn't they?

I can't handle another vegetarians are b*astards no meat eaters are b*astards thread at this stage!

Nor I, like most veggies the vast majority of people I know eat meat daily. I'm not on a crusade to convert anyone nor do I look down on anyone who eats meat. I'd be too busy always looking down to get anything done! I simply follow my own conscience and leave it at that.

• Advertisement

Nor I, like most veggies the vast majority of people I know eat meat daily. I'm not on a crusade to convert anyone nor do I look down on anyone who eats meat. I'd be too busy always looking down to get anything done! I simply follow my own conscience and leave it at that.

Fairy nuff, I just thought Seclachi wasn't looking for a fight with anyone and was being quite diplomatic in his/her posts is all I really donn't think they meant any offense to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

:eek: OMG did you even bother to read this thread before you posted!!??
    Who exactly is forcing anyone to do anything here? We're talking about an INVITATION to a dinner party. If you are that repulsed by vegetarian cooking YOU [EMAIL="DON@T"]DON'T[/EMAIL] HAVE TO GO! Don't worry about it we won't track you don't and shoot you or anything (as vegetarians it's not in our nature)

You're obviously a seriously closed minded person or didn't read the previous posts, should set gillian McKeith on you and get you to eat your veggies like a good grown up!

What? Did YOU read the replies more like?
    No. The idea of having meat (a socially acceptable word for a piece of animal carcass) in my kitchen disgusts me.
    If you dont want to cook it you shouldnt have to.
    lee_ wrote: »
    The smell of it cooking would make me sick, I dont think id be able to do it..
    No way I would cook meat for anyone I have over for dinner.
    my house my rules

To quote but a few.

So get down off your highhorse. WTF are you to call me closeminded when im basing my responce on the selfishness of some of the replies. Belive me, if i was invited to a sh1tty dinner knowing i was going to be uncomfortable, i wouldnt go. do you enjoy saying "sorry im a vegitarian, i cant eat that" after they have spent hours cooking for you? I know i dont like saying the opposite.

Well I guess I won't be inviting you around for a meal then.....my house my rules, might think it's tripe but thats my choice and I'm sure you've got a few yourself wither you like to admit it or not. I don't let people smoke in my house, I also don't let people drink alcohol in my house and I've two cats that stay in the house and if people don't like them then they can leave simple as. If not being served meat as a food at a dinner party makes you feel uncomfortable then honestly you've issues.

No, its not that it makes me feel uncomfortable, its being expected to eat stuff i dont like that makes me uncomfotable. And most vegitarian food and ALL indian food makes me sick. However In your case, i dont think it would be the food that would make me uncomfortable.

cocoa wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Cooking a good balanced vegetarian meal isn't all that easy, especially if you don't do it as a routine thing, so I wouldn't really be surprised if someone said they just didn't know what to do, and sorry. Often just eating the bits that aren't meat is fine and no offence taken...

I never said cooking vegetarian food was easy, and as i said in my first post, my gf, best friend and his GF are all vegitarians. I fully support their diet. However i wont be talked down to by a community of vegitarians because i like meat and prefare to have it in my diet.
    And forcing someone to cook meat isn't shoving your beliefs down their throat?

I wouldnt force anyone to cook anything. I never once said that. I simply expect them to consider my dietry needs as i do theirs. All my friends so, and i do the same. So theres always a pleasant experience. I even went out and got another frying pan and seperate chopping board to accomidate the seperation of food groups.

Make them uncomfortable? Not having meat around makes you uncomfortable? also I really wouldn't get into the nutrition of it...

I dont need to be preached to about my diet, i am the perfect weight for someone my age, size and gender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Vegetarians and vegans more than often than not do not just happen to dislike the taste or texture of meat. It's an ethical, moral or religous/spiritual commitmant on their part which is extremely important and meaningful to them on many levels.
    We don't choose to vegetarians for the hell of it, it's not bloody easy, you have no idea how hard it is to live your lifew without rasher sandwhichs and fry ups after a night out it's because we really can't bring ourselve to play a part in something we find so despicable, selfish and immoral and therefore we are compelled to make the sacrifice to go without meat.

so you dont like the taste and texture of meat but your going on about how great you are for being able to resist the temptation of rashers and sausages?

also, why is it a sacrifice?

it's how I see meat and why I don't eat it.

mushrooms are a fungus that grow out of **** and piss, I bet you eat them tho?

I never said cooking vegetarian food was easy, and as i said in my first post, my gf, best friend and his GF are all vegitarians. I fully support their diet. However i wont be talked down to by a community of vegitarians because i like meat and prefare to have it in my diet.

No down-talking intended. I was merely voicing my opinion that it's not such a huge faux pas to not cook something separate when you have a vegetarian around, as you seemed to think it was.
    I wouldnt force anyone to cook anything. I never once said that. I simply expect them to consider my dietry needs as i do theirs. All my friends so, and i do the same. So theres always a pleasant experience. I even went out and got another frying pan and seperate chopping board to accomidate the seperation of food groups.

Make up your mind, either you want them to cook meat or not. Please explain to me how they can 'consider your dietary needs' without either cooking meat, or giving you the exact same meal as everyone else, i.e., a vegetarian one which does indeed meet the dietary needs of your average human being.
    I dont need to be preached to about my diet, i am the perfect weight for someone my age, size and gender.

No preaching here, it's just a fairly well accepted fact that a well planned vegetarian diet is healthier than an omnivorous one, so saying they're inflicting some kind of dietary deficiency on you wouldn't make sense.

tripe, a socially accepted word for the inner lining of fatty tissue/guts in a cows stomach

No preaching here, it's just a fairly well accepted fact that a well planned vegetarian diet is healthier than an omnivorous one, so saying they're inflicting some kind of dietary deficiency on you wouldn't make sense.

no, no it isnt.

also,what about vitamin b12, do you take synthetic b12?

no, no it isnt.

also,what about vitamin b12, do you take synthetic b12?

My apologies, it must be the pixie dust they rub into their hair that makes them live longer, as shown by any recent study you might care to check...

b12 is available in plants, though in smaller amounts, and many milk and milk alternative products are fortified with it. Also, it seems it plays a less important role than previously thought.

This is really off-topic though, if you'd like to argue the point further could you start a new thread?

here is how i see it without all the bull**** preachy crap thats goin on

if something goes against your beliefs and would cause you some kind of pain you shouldnt have to do it. cook meat if you think you can, if you cant I'm sure your friends wont mind some veggy stuff if they are good friends.

If I had a vegetarian guest I would cook a proper meal for them. I wouldnt expect them to preach to me how disgusting rotten animal flesh is and how Im a very bad and selfish person. I find some of the vegetarian posters here to be very hostile straight away. respect should work both ways

• Advertisement

My apologies, it must be the pixie dust they rub into their hair that makes them live longer, as shown by any recent study you might care to check...

b12 is available in plants, though in smaller amounts, and many milk and milk alternative products are fortified with it. Also, it seems it plays a less important role than previously thought.

This is really off-topic though, if you'd like to argue the point further could you start a new thread?
    you said it was a well known fact, show me

milk? from industrialised cows? fortified, u mean synthetic b12 additives?

have a pointless arguement? no thanks!

Advertisement