Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you cook meat?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

red_ice wrote: »
    So get down off your highhorse. WTF are you to call me closeminded when im basing my responce on the selfishness of some of the replies. Belive me, if i was invited to a sh1tty dinner knowing i was going to be uncomfortable, i wouldnt go. do you enjoy saying "sorry im a vegitarian, i cant eat that" after they have spent hours cooking for you? I know i dont like saying the opposite.

So I'm selfish cus I ask people to respect my beliefs in my own home? Sorry but I pay too much for my mortgage to do something in my own home that makes me uncomfortable. Do you think a jewish person saying they can't eat a pork dish someone has spent hours cooking for them is being selfish? Should I let a smoker smoke in my home so as not to be selfish?

Talk about reading into things and blowing it up into something its not. I've never had any issues cooking for people or having them cook for me in 15+ years of being veggie. My friends are open minded and up for trying new food and don't whinge about dietary needs....no one has ever died from skipping meat for one meal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thats what really gets on my nervs about the "im not cooking corpse" vegitarians. Such a selfish aproach. Its like the whole religion arguement, you wouldnt have someone shoving a religion down your throat, why should it be any different for a food group, of lack there of?
    Selfish how? Do you expect people to behave against their morals for their guests? How far does that go?

That whole "its your house you cook what you want" lark is a load of tripe. A good host considers their guests and doesnt make them uncomfortable by leaving such a staple part of their diet out. How awkward. I would really be uncomfortable eating in your houses, and im sure your guests would be too.
    I only eat vegetables and humans, you wouldn't, you know, make me feel uncomfortable by leaving a staple part of my diet out?

I've yet to see somebody uncomfortable by not being served meat, I've seen more people being uncomfortable by not being served potatoes...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

cocoa wrote: »
    No down-talking intended. I was merely voicing my opinion that it's not such a huge faux pas to not cook something separate when you have a vegetarian around, as you seemed to think it was.

I got that from your posts, thats why i respected your reply and took time to go through it. I dont see it as socially unacceptable, i see it as morally unacceptable to not consider everyone's feelings in certain matters.

Make up your mind, either you want them to cook meat or not. Please explain to me how they can 'consider your dietary needs' without either cooking meat, or giving you the exact same meal as everyone else, i.e., a vegetarian one which does indeed meet the dietary needs of your average human being.

Its not that i want them to do something just for me, but reverse the roles. Imagin i cooked a meal for everyone but a vegitarian, and you were the only person there. How would you feel? I wouldnt stand for that at my table. Everyone should be comfortable and feel accounted for.

No preaching here, it's just a fairly well accepted fact that a well planned vegetarian diet is healthier than an omnivorous one, so saying they're inflicting some kind of dietary deficiency on you wouldn't make sense.

Well, all the vegitarians i know are grosely underweight and tbh, weak. Ok, they might not know how to manage their diet but thats neither here nor there. As far as what diet is better i dont really care, because i have a balanced one. I dont eat sweets, i just have the 3 square meals and a few cups of tea. (every now and then i eat other stuff, but not often)

ztoical wrote: »
    So I'm selfish cus I ask people to respect my beliefs in my own home? Sorry but I pay too much for my mortgage to do something in my own home that makes me uncomfortable. Do you think a jewish person saying they can't eat a pork dish someone has spent hours cooking for them is being selfish? Should I let a smoker smoke in my home so as not to be selfish?

Wow, you have a mortgage, well done, im so (not) impressed. Are you even reading my replies? You are really frustrating me here. To further fuel your rage ill say yes, your selfish, and i think your fictional jew should eat the pork, and yes the smoke people smoke in your house should be blown all over your cats who are in your eyes more important than your guests who might have a severe allergic reaction to their hair.
    Talk about reading into things and blowing it up into something its not. I've never had any issues cooking for people or having them cook for me in 15+ years of being veggie. My friends are open minded and up for trying new food and don't whinge about dietary needs....no one has ever died from skipping meat for one meal.

blah blah blah. Maybe your friends are too polite to say it, who knows? I dont care much for talking to you. Im finished conversing with you now as I made my point about your house and how i wouldnt visit it for dinner. Let it go :rolleyes: Ill direct this conversation towards someone who doesnt have their knickers in a twist.

Selfish how? Do you expect people to behave against their morals for their guests? How far does that go?

Well it raises the point that was made earlier. If its going to be an uncomfortable affair ill give it a miss. Why be socially awkward? I wouldnt force anything on anyone, as i've said a number of times in a few different ways. However it would be nice to be considered in the matter as i do for my vegitarian friends. Who btw, consider me when they cook. Just seems that outside my circle of friends its a different story.

I only eat vegetables and humans, you wouldn't, you know, make me feel uncomfortable by leaving a staple part of my diet out?

If your going to be stupid about this you can go <whatever>.

I've yet to see somebody uncomfortable by not being served meat, I've seen more people being uncomfortable by not being served potatoes...

Again, How would you feel going out to someones house and all they offer you as the vegitarian option was a lettuce leaf. "whoops, i didnt consider your likes or dislikes, so heres a leaf of lettuce and 1/2 an onion i found at the back of the fridge". My point is that a good host considers their guests and trys to accomidate them. Is that so hard to understand? If it is.. ul.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Well it raises the point that was made earlier. If its going to be an uncomfortable affair ill give it a miss. Why be socially awkward? I wouldnt force anything on anyone, as i've said a number of times in a few different ways. However it would be nice to be considered in the matter as i do for my vegitarian friends. Who btw, consider me when they cook. Just seems that outside my circle of friends its a different story.
    If I was vegetarian for health reasons or something then of course I would cook for them. People are vegetarians for different reasons.

You say you wish to be considered, do you not think it inconsiderate for somebody to suggest partaking in something they consider to be murder, for a dinner party? For somebodies pleasure?
    If somebody puts in effort for their party and do not serve meat they are not considering you? Is that the stance or am I not following?
    If your going to be stupid about this you can go <whatever>.
    No, it is a simple logical point. Think about it.
    Again, How would you feel going out to someones house and all they offer you as the vegitarian option was a lettuce leaf. "whoops, i didnt consider your likes or dislikes, so heres a leaf of lettuce and 1/2 an onion i found at the back of the fridge". My point is that a good host considers their guests and trys to accomidate them. Is that so hard to understand? If it is.. ul.
    I've had as bad...anyway, I wouldn't consider it good hospitality. The host did not consider a guest, but if they did their best and I liked nothing they felt comfortable making, I would consider that good hospitality. I would also consider the host if I was a guest. When I still ate meat I thought it ridiculous for a veggie to cook me meat. I didn't know what I would eat, as I liked no vegetables(even after being a vegetarian for some time), and they asked what I would like... still ate it and said thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

I got that from your posts, thats why i respected your reply and took time to go through it. I dont see it as socially unacceptable, i see it as morally unacceptable to not consider everyone's feelings in certain matters.

fair enough.
    Its not that i want them to do something just for me, but reverse the roles. Imagin i cooked a meal for everyone but a vegitarian, and you were the only person there. How would you feel? I wouldnt stand for that at my table. Everyone should be comfortable and feel accounted for.

I'll say it again, make your mind up. You start off saying you don't want them to do something just for you, but then go on to argue that they should. I have already considered that situation and while it's not ideal I understand how it can happen and I won't lose sleep or friendship over it.
    Well, all the vegitarians i know are grosely underweight and tbh, weak. Ok, they might not know how to manage their diet but thats neither here nor there. As far as what diet is better i dont really care, because i have a balanced one. I dont eat sweets, i just have the 3 square meals and a few cups of tea. (every now and then i eat other stuff, but not often)

To be fair, my comment was excessive, and predictably threw things off-topic. Better to say that it is possible to be as healthy or unhealthy on a vegetarian diet, so claiming dietary needs doesn't make sense. Good for you, I know my own diet is fairly crap to be honest.

I think it's flawed to think that the two scenarios are identical or exact opposites. If an omnivore makes a meal, it's possible to eat the bits that are not meat, no problem. If a vegetarian makes a meal, without meat, the meal is still suitable for an omnivore. Unless all you eat is steak and sausages, in which case you would have to make special preparations, they are totally different situations.

meat eater ==> makes meal which fulfils dietary needs of humans, has carbs, protein etc. the sausage / mince / chicken / whatever can be removed for a vegetarian. May complicate the cooking slightly with need for a second pot, no other hassle. Worst case scenario, there is probably bread in the house...

vegetarian ==> makes meal which fulfils dietary needs for humans, has carbs, protein etc. The meal tastes fine, but for some reason other than nutrition is considered inadequate by some... :confused:

like many posters have said, many people are vegetarian for many different reasons and many won't have a problem with cooking meat for a friend or family, but I really don't think they should have to or be expected to...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i absolutely cannot live without meat

i do not expect my veggie friends to cook meat for me however

on the other hand they do expect me to cook them veggie version when i cook for them so im a bit split on the issue. if they went to the effort of cooking me meat i wouldnt mind being expected to go to the effort of cooking them a veggie meal(which i do anyway and they always like it)

i think there are some great veggie meals out there were they wont even noticethere is no meat in them. or you could give them that soy mince stuff i barely notice the difference

edit; and it is double standards people your kidding yourself saying its not. yes i can survive without meat for one meal and yes i do it regularly because its not worth the argument and sometimes its even nice but you can also survive eating meat for one meal. my morals and beliefs say that eating meat is a necessity and completely natural are my beliefs any less worthy than yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

PeakOutput wrote: »
    or you could give them that soy mince stuff i barely notice the difference

I had some of that stuff before, made me feel sick. it doesnt taste like meat, but has a similar texture to mince.

falafel and hummus would make me happy

I had some of that stuff before, made me feel sick. it doesnt taste like meat, but has a similar texture to mince.

falafel and hummus would make me happy

i had the fake chicken in bread crumbs without realising once i thought it was slightly odd or off or something but still thought it was chicken

again personally i dont mind being cooked veggie for as my diet is crap as far as vegetables are concerned because i have never 'liked'(tried more like) them until very recently and i like tasting new thigns now that my taste buds have developed :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Well I guess I won't be inviting you around for a meal then.....my house my rules, might think it's tripe but thats my choice and I'm sure you've got a few yourself wither you like to admit it or not. I don't let people smoke in my house, I also don't let people drink alcohol in my house and I've two cats that stay in the house and if people don't like them then they can leave simple as. If not being served meat as a food at a dinner party makes you feel uncomfortable then honestly you've issues.
    I dont think hes missing out on much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

well, im a meat lover/eater and if i went to a friends house for dinner, i wouldn't expect them to cook meat for me. actually i'd be interested in eating a vegetarian meal.

• Advertisement

red_ice you seem to have some major issues with people who have different beliefs to you and should maybe get out and travel a bit....you might actual meet some jews and discover they ain't fictional.
    on the other hand they do expect me to cook them veggie version when i cook for them so im a bit split on the issue. if they went to the effort of cooking me meat i wouldnt mind being expected to go to the effort of cooking them a veggie meal(which i do anyway and they always like it)

You see what I don't understand is people saying they have to go to the effort of cooking something for the veggie....this implies every single thing your cooking has meat of some sort in it. I've yet to come across a meal like this put in front of me and honestly if I did I'd be slightly worried about the person who cooked it. Even my most hardcore meat loving friends have bread and salad and what not with their meals. Seriously lads what are you all cooking?

I've never had someone cook something just for me and something else for everyone else. It's usually here have an extra spud or bit of salad and more meat for the rest of us and everyone fight over dessert. We are taking about dinner party here, fun evening spent with friends....honestly I'm worried about some people on here.

a

I've never had someone cook something just for me and something else for everyone else. It's usually here have an extra spud or bit of salad and more meat for the rest of us and everyone fight over dessert. We are taking about dinner party here, fun evening spent with friends....honestly I'm worried about some people on here.

what about a protein source? if you just want the same dinner as your friends minus the meat then its not really a complete dinner.

my morals and beliefs say that eating meat is a necessity and completely natural are my beliefs any less worthy than yours?

And that is your real problem.
    Would you genuinely have the hump, if it was onions that your friends were avoiding eating instead of meat?

People who make demands when visiting your home are rude.
    I have never done it, I would mortified to see anyone do so. I would probably assume that they had some mild form of mental retardation.
    If it bothers you that much, discuss it with the source of your disgruntlement. Instead of whinging to us about it. Thanks.

You see what I don't understand is people saying they have to go to the effort of cooking something for the veggie....this implies every single thing your cooking has meat of some sort in it. I've yet to come across a meal like this put in front of me and honestly if I did I'd be slightly worried about the person who cooked it. Even my most hardcore meat loving friends have bread and salad and what not with their meals. Seriously lads what are you all cooking?

obviously i just cook veggie versions of whatever i am cooking. by the sounds of things you guys are happy with salad and a few potatoes so maybe im going to too much effort :p

if im making thai red curry i have to keep the veggie one completely seperate in a seperate pot etc

same for carbonara /bologneise etc etc. one night this one particular veggie even gave out to me because there wasnt a wide enough variety of veg in the curry and she made me cook her broccoli as well which i had never cooked in my life before. now this wasnt a big deal accept for the fact i was already going to the effort of making her a seperate dinner to everyone else and i dont kick up a fuss over things like that and i think veggies kicking up a stink about things like that is petty, and not to get at you personally ztoical but i would find your house rules fairly petty aswell, i dont smoke and recently i dont drink but i never send someone out into the cod like a lepper if they want to smoke or i would never dream of not letting someone crack open a can in the house.

edit; damn that last paragraph was quite the long sentence :p

Moonbaby wrote: »
    And that is your real problem.
    Would you genuinely have the hump, if it was onions that your friends were avoiding eating instead of meat?

People who make demands when visiting your home are rude.
    I have never done it, I would mortified to see anyone do so. I would probably assume that they had some mild form of mental retardation.
    If it bothers you that much, discuss it with the source of your disgruntlement. Instead of whinging to us about it. Thanks.

eh moonbaby get off your horse im not whinging about anything i was making apoint in a discussion thread about something completely relevant

firstly i dont have a problem with anything accept double standards. me thinking that it is normal and necessary to eat meat is no more of a problem than a vegetarians opinion of the opposite.

secondly i couldnt be bothered talking about it with them because much like religon it is a topic that dosnt seem to be able to be rationally discussed without someone getting the hump. also much like religon it means so little to me that i might as well just do the things to keep the peace, like for example i am atheist at worst agnostic at best but if my wife wants to christen my kids im not gonna kick up a fuss because it just does not mean anything to me.

thirdly, i dont like onions usually so i pray that they avoid them rather than get pissed off about it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

I'll say it again, make your mind up. You start off saying you don't want them to do something just for you, but then go on to argue that they should. I have already considered that situation and while it's not ideal I understand how it can happen and I won't lose sleep or friendship over it.

Cmon now, your making me repeat myself. Theres no making my mind up, my moral compass points to something for everyone, my friends are the same. If it means cooking something that they dont like eating, so be it, i do it for them, they respect that. I've often had to cook my own food after i've served them theirs so that the pans etc are viod of meat. I dont mind tho.

To be fair, my comment was excessive, and predictably threw things off-topic. Better to say that it is possible to be as healthy or unhealthy on a vegetarian diet, so claiming dietary needs doesn't make sense. Good for you, I know my own diet is fairly crap to be honest.

Good stuff, lets not touch on it then. Im sure mine could be improved alot too.
    I think it's flawed to think that the two scenarios are identical or exact opposites. If an omnivore makes a meal, it's possible to eat the bits that are not meat, no problem. If a vegetarian makes a meal, without meat, the meal is still suitable for an omnivore. Unless all you eat is steak and sausages, in which case you would have to make special preparations, they are totally different situations.

I dont like steak tbh, besides the point. The two scenarios are not identical. The key feature of my meal is the meat thats in it. Lamb chops, chicken fillet, the meat that takes up 1/3rd of the plate is what its about for me. The rest is just there for the sake of it. Now, the rest of the plate is what your diet may consist of, therefor its what you want to eat (ok, not as varied or whatnot, but you get my point).

Worst case scenario, there is probably bread in the house...

I wouldnt settle for that.

vegetarian ==> makes meal which fulfils dietary needs for humans, has carbs, protein etc. The meal tastes fine, but for some reason other than nutrition is considered inadequate by some... :confused:

Yes. I dont see it has something hard to come to terms with. The main feature of my meal is the meat. Im missing out on something i like to eat and its being replaced with stuff i dont like eating which doesnt fill me up.

like many posters have said, many people are vegetarian for many different reasons and many won't have a problem with cooking meat for a friend or family, but I really don't think they should have to or be expected to...

:/

red_ice you seem to have some major issues with people who have different beliefs to you and should maybe get out and travel a bit....you might actual meet some jews and discover they ain't fictional.

yea k. Where did you get that i think the jewish faith is fictional? I obvoiusly hate vegitarians, thats why my GF is one, my best friend is one and his GF is one. how bout you and your two cats go save the world with your comics instead of talking absolute off topic crap. stop being an idiot pls.

obviously i just cook veggie versions of whatever i am cooking. by the sounds of things you guys are happy with salad and a few potatoes so maybe im going to too much effort :p

if im making thai red curry i have to keep the veggie one completely seperate in a seperate pot etc

same for carbonara /bologneise etc etc. one night this one particular veggie even gave out to me because there wasnt a wide enough variety of veg in the curry and she made me cook her broccoli as well which i had never cooked in my life before. now this wasnt a big deal accept for the fact i was already going to the effort of making her a seperate dinner to everyone else and i dont kick up a fuss over things like that and i think veggies kicking up a stink about things like that is petty,

I agree it's pretty petty and I certainly wouldn't demand and never have demanded anyone cook something just for me and maybe that's what's wrong on this thread - people have had a bad meal with some crackpot look at me I want to be the certain of attention veggie and it's left a bad taste. Maybe I've just had a good run with meals at friends as like I said I've never had any issues and as I said waaaaaaay back at the start of this now train wreck of thread don't people have dinner parties for the chat and laugh with friends more then the food? Don't get me wrong a nice meal is always nice but I ain't going to cry over missing out on a dish when enjoying the company of good friends...usually means I get a jump start on dessert :D

and not to get at you personally ztoical but i would find your house rules fairly petty aswell, i dont smoke and recently i dont drink but i never send someone out into the cod like a lepper if they want to smoke or i would never dream of not letting someone crack open a can in the house.

My home is also my studio were I work so I'm there nearly 24/7 so I don't want people smoking cus [a] it's bad for my equipment even the odd fag I've alot of acid and chemicals around for my work and I'd rather be safe then sorry and [c] I've got to work there and I don't smoke so I'd prefer not to have the smoke smell while trying to work. As for drinking same thing there are issues with some of the chemicals and the risk of contaminating them and the risk of someone drinking the wrong thing. Yes it's a very fair fetched risk but again better safe then sorry. So think it petty if you must but I do have my reasons.

You clearly haven't read most of the thread, if you consider your "careless" whinge opinion still relevant to discussion at this point.

I also have little respect for people who complain about others behind their backs. Regardless of how valid their point might be originally.

I agree it's pretty petty and I certainly wouldn't demand and never have demanded anyone cook something just for me and maybe that's what's wrong on this thread - people have had a bad meal with some crackpot look at me I want to be the certain of attention veggie and it's left a bad taste. Maybe I've just had a good run with meals at friends as like I said I've never had any issues and as I said waaaaaaay back at the start of this now train wreck of thread don't people have dinner parties for the chat and laugh with friends more then the food? Don't get me wrong a nice meal is always nice but I ain't going to cry over missing out on a dish when enjoying the company of good friends...usually means I get a jump start on dessert :D

ye the problem probably is the wanting to be center of attention rather than being a vegetarian :p suprise suprise. i dont mind doing it i like cooking and its something i wouldnt do normally its just the odd little comments that can grate.

My home is also my studio were I work so I'm there nearly 24/7 so I don't want people smoking cus [a] it's bad for my equipment even the odd fag I've alot of acid and chemicals around for my work and I'd rather be safe then sorry and [c] I've got to work there and I don't smoke so I'd prefer not to have the smoke smell while trying to work. As for drinking same thing there are issues with some of the chemicals and the risk of contaminating them and the risk of someone drinking the wrong thing. Yes it's a very fair fetched risk but again better safe then sorry. So think it petty if you must but I do have my reasons.

ah ok that makes sense i jumped to the conclusion of my body is my temple and therefore you cannot even pollute your temple in front of me attitude your reasons seem logical

Moonbaby wrote: »
    You clearly haven't read most of the thread, if you consider your "careless" whinge opinion still relevant to discussion at this point.

oh well in that case i withdraw everything i said i wasnt aware i had to pass your relevancy test first i should probably read the charter

I also have little respect for people who complain about others behind their backs. Regardless of how valid their point might be originally.

welcome to the interwebz enjoy your stay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Truth be told, I'd be uncomfortable going to a dinner party at a vegetarian's house who refused to cook meat.

I understand and can tolerate the idea that some people consider cooking meat to be on the same level as murder for whatever reason.

But vegetarian food is a minefield for me when it comes to liking it. *cue vegetarians rolling their eyes*. But seriously, It's the texture of veggies I think. I cook quite often, and if cooking something with a lot of veg I shred, liquify or cut them in a particular way - I HATE big chunks of crunchy vegetables. At a dinner party, I'd be scared of getting served something I found revolting, and having to eat it out of politeness.

I know this isn't necessarily exclusive to vegetarian dishes, but having tried a very small amount of vegetarian food, and seen quite a lot of it, it just seems like the odds of getting served something I hated would be greatly increased.

And I think I have as much right to be fussy as a vegetarian has to be fussy about not eating meat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Clare Bear wrote: »
    I'm having a few friends over for dinner next week, all meat eaters. The last dinner party I had I cooked vegetarian food and it went down well but this lot are of the "I can't survive without meat" brigade. Now I don't mind cooking them meat that much but I haven't done in years and I'm just wondering have the vegetarians/vegans on here ever prepared meat for someone else? I know I could make them lovely vegetarian food but I'm not sure two of the lads coming will enjoy it if there's no meat in their meal.

Do any of you sacrifice your own personal choice to cook meat for others and aren't bothered by it or is it a bit hypocritical of me to go out and buy meat and cook it when it's against what I believe in personally?

Hi op. Not being a fantastic cook myself if I have a few friends round I usually make a veggie stirfry for everyone but put a dish of stirfried beef strips or something in the middle of the table so my friends have the option.

It always amazes me how accomodating people are for me, and the variety of veggie meals friends have cooked for me, even though I always say I'm happy out with whatever sides are on with the meat, the least i can do is return the favour. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Truth be told, I'd be uncomfortable going to a dinner party at a vegetarian's house who refused to cook meat.

I understand and can tolerate the idea that some people consider cooking meat to be on the same level as murder for whatever reason.

But vegetarian food is a minefield for me when it comes to liking it. *cue vegetarians rolling their eyes*. But seriously, It's the texture of veggies I think. I cook quite often, and if cooking something with a lot of veg I shred, liquify or cut them in a particular way - I HATE big chunks of crunchy vegetables. At a dinner party, I'd be scared of getting served something I found revolting, and having to eat it out of politeness.

I know this isn't necessarily exclusive to vegetarian dishes, but having tried a very small amount of vegetarian food, and seen quite a lot of it, it just seems like the odds of getting served something I hated would be greatly increased.

And I think I have as much right to be fussy as a vegetarian has to be fussy about not eating meat. :)

I'm sorry, but doesn't that mean that you would have to be nervous about attending any dinner party at all? Because even non-vegetarians are prone to serve vegetables... I mean, even when people will serve up a meat dish, the majority of it will inevitably be vegetables of sorts. I've never been to any dinner party where the host just put platters full of meat on the table with nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

I don't really understand why people are talking about double standards; for me to cook meat there is a huge moral compromise, which surely isnt the case for anyone having to cook vegetarian?

Right, I get that it might be extra hassle having to cook for somebody with a specific diet, and I don't expect anybody to lavish me with vegetarian delights; however, if somebody invites me to a dinner party then yeah I expect to be fed..!

Besides, in this day and age I thought most people were beyond requiring meat in every single meal. There is delicious, nourishing TASTY food out there which is entirely animal-friendly - we're not surving on lettuce and carrot sticks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but doesn't that mean that you would have to be nervous about attending any dinner party at all? Because even non-vegetarians are prone to serve vegetables... I mean, even when people will serve up a meat dish, the majority of it will inevitably be vegetables of sorts. I've never been to any dinner party where the host just put platters full of meat on the table with nothing else.
    See my 4th paragraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

so you dont like the taste and texture of meat but your going on about how great you are for being able to resist the temptation of rashers and sausages?

also, why is it a sacrifice?

What? I never said I didn't like meat! I mentioned that not all vegetarians give up meat simply because they dislike the flavour etc. and if it was simply on that basis that I didn't eat meat I would have no problem cooking it for someone else.
    I LOVE the taste of meat, hence the sacrifice in not eating it despite really wanting to for plasurable reasons. I'm also not going on about being great, I don't think I'm great at all least of all for simply not eating meat. You're presuming I'm on a high horse for no good reason. I never once criticised peoples choice to eat meat, who could? Most of ous families and friends eat meat!
    Read my posts more carefully I can't stand when people don't bother reading threads properly and then write thoughtless responses.

I LOVE the taste of meat

then eat eat it?

If I had the same beliefs the thought of eating dead animals would make me sick

then eat eat it?

If I had the same beliefs the thought of eating dead animals would make me sick

I really don't understand your point here?
    Why are you suggesting I eat meat?
    Are you saying that you understand why the thought of eating meat might make a devout vegetarian feel sick if they had chosen to be vegetarian for moral/ethical reasons?

I really don't understand your point here?
    Why are you suggesting I eat meat?
    Are you saying that you understand why the thought of eating meat might make a devout vegetarian feel sick if they had chosen to be vegetarian for moral/ethical reasons?

yes

• Advertisement

yes

Oh ok thanks, no as much as I used to enjoy meat, my conscience won't allow me to anymore. It's a struggle and the temptation is rampant everytime I'm in a supermarket despite being a veggie for years but I love animals too much and would feel like a hypocrite if I started eating the stuff again. I can live without it theres plenty of other nice stuff to eat in the world.
    Glad to see you understand my points earlier in the post about the difference between a vegetarian who simply dislikes that taste of meat etc and someone who choses not to eat it for moral reasons etc.. not wanting to prepare it for someone else to eat.

Advertisement