Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Definition of the term 'Vegetarian' aka pesky 'Pescetarians'

Options
  • 30-11-2009 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

I was reading one of those snippet type articles you get in the Sunday papers, a sort of 30 seconds discussing likes and dislikes with the comedian PJ Gallagher. I was happy enough with the sentiments being expressed until I got to the classic 'I'm a Vegetarian...., but I eat fish!'

Now I'm not trying to get at anyone here, but my definition of a Vegetarian is exactly that; one who eats VEGETABLES and other non-moving, non-smiling, non-crying, non-feeling substances. And as the thread title suggests I'm a bit miffed at the self appointed 'Vegetarians', who eat fish on the basis that it's not meat, or that they can't survive without the protein or whatever other excuse. You are either Vegetarian or you are not - it's that simple in my book.

Anyone else got similar thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

I know a pescetarian who, defines his diet as "I don't eat anything that loves it's kids". He hates the term 'pescetarian', though.

I had to point out to a classmate recently, that he was not a veggie but a pesky. I don't think he liked that too much but I don't think he was familiar with the term. Actually, I don't think too many people are and that's possibly why they consider themselves veggies.

I suspect that it might have something to do with fish not being seen as cute or cuddly, especially in infant form. Childrens books and cute posters and stuffed toys frequently feature chicks or infant mammals, I've never seen fry.

If the term, "pescetarian", was more familiar to people, then they might use it instead. But since it's not in common parlance, I can see someone describing themselves as "pescetarian" as being seen as a little bit up themselves, this being Ireland and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

Guilty as charged!

I call myself a vegetarian when people enquire although I eat fish. Its purely for ease as few people are aware of the word pescatarian...though if they are interested, I do inform them that that is what I am. I think its like defining yourself as a lacto-vege or one of the other handful of definations there are.
    I can certainly see why it would annoy true vegetarians so, sorry but I'll probably keep going the way I'm going:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

ah no!!! please say you are pescetarian!! if there is misunderstanding just explain vegetarian diet but eat fish. we would appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

ah no!!! please say you are pescetarian!! if there is misunderstanding just explain vegetarian diet but eat fist. we would appreciate it

:D

:P typing badly with one hand while drying my hair. Too many tasks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think it simple comes down to the fact that its not a common word, most people wouldn't know what it meant if they read it (obviously somebody who is in anyway smart, or thought about it would grab pesce-fish part) so "veggie but eat fish" is the easiest way to describe their diet. The problem is this leads to the blurring of the word vegitarian and the belief that some vegitarians eat fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Why dont you say you dont eat meat but do eat fish.

Sorry but you are not a vegetarian and I have people who call themselves vegetarian to blame when I sit in a restaurant and ask for the veggie option and get given fish.

How can we expect people to know what to give us when there are so many conflicting messages out there.

A fish is not a vegetable. It is as simple as that.

Im sorry...sorry...............very sorry.............

Can...i...still like....check out this forum from time to time....even if I eat fish?....if it helps, i only eat fish bout once a month....(of course that doesnt help I know!)

sssooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

ah no!!! please say you are pescetarian!! if there is misunderstanding just explain vegetarian diet but eat fish. we would appreciate it :)

That's what I do... although, for the record, I only eat fish when eating out and not liking the one (if that many) vegetarian option.
    And then I'll usually go for shellfish. I just can't morally argue that I don't eat prawns when I've got no qualms killing scary spiders...

pescetarians are welcome in this forum. and to our events ;) so long as you don't call yourself vegetarians!!

• Advertisement

Shenshen wrote: »
    That's what I do... although, for the record, I only eat fish when eating out and not liking the one (if that many) vegetarian option.
    And then I'll usually go for shellfish. I just can't morally argue that I don't eat prawns when I've got no qualms killing scary spiders...

For the record me too...I dont like cheese and sometimes theres no other option. I'll have vege soup if I'm not that hungry but sometimes it happens...And I DOOOO tell people I'm pescatarian. I eat little or no dairy too so you could nearly say I'm a pescatarian vegan!!!! BUT dont panic everyone I wont! Just teasing :)
    Maybe I'll make it to a meet up some day and explain meself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I just can't morally argue that I don't eat prawns when I've got no qualms killing scary spiders...
    ????

Normally I either leave them be or else pick them up out of the sink or bath and put them somewhere out of harms way!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I don't get the whole 'oh, if I'm eating out then I'll have the fish if there's nothing else' mentality.

I honestly couldn't stomach that and I don't many vegetarians who could. And if I was doing that then I certainly wouldn't be calling myself vegetarian.

I've also never been to a restaurant where they weren't more than happy to accommodate me if there was nothing suitable on the menu. They'll make something you can have, whether its making a vegetarian version of another main course or what ever.

Ask, they'll do it.

Re the spider thing, you need to get yourself one of these bad boys. Little soft bristles that you open out with the button on the handle and then close again, lifts the spider up gently and then you can put it outside. Best Christmas present my brother ever got me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Mellor wrote: »
    I think it simple comes down to the fact that its not a common word, most people wouldn't know what it meant if they read it

Really? Really? I'm not being smart but I thought it was a common enough word, at least to read. I'd be shocked if a child over 8 didn't know what it meant, let alone an adult.

????

Normally I either leave them be or else pick them up out of the sink or bath and put them somewhere out of harms way!

Sorry, I can't do that. I'm lucky if I'm not too scared to set foot in the room again at all and have to call the husband to get rid of the spider. Getting close enough to one to actually pick it up.... the thought is enough to give me nightmares. :(

Re the spider thing, you need to get yourself one of these bad boys. Little soft bristles that you open out with the button on the handle and then close again, lifts the spider up gently and then you can put it outside. Best Christmas present my brother ever got me!!

I saw them in the shops... sorry, no, can't do that. I couldn't stomach the thought of there being a spider at the end of a stick I'm holding.

I don't get the whole 'oh, if I'm eating out then I'll have the fish if there's nothing else' mentality.

I honestly couldn't stomach that and I don't many vegetarians who could. And if I was doing that then I certainly wouldn't be calling myself vegetarian.

I've also never been to a restaurant where they weren't more than happy to accommodate me if there was nothing suitable on the menu. They'll make something you can have, whether its making a vegetarian version of another main course or what ever.

Ask, they'll do it.

Actually, most vegetarians I know don't have a problem with it. But then, most of those aren't vegetarians for not wanting animals killed, most have different reasons.

I guess if you're vegetarian for objecting to killing animals, you would be offended at the thought. I happen to be semi-vegetarian because I object to the way animals are treated while alive, I honestly don't have a moral problem with killing (provided it's quick and painless).
    A good friend of mine is pescetarian because she feels people should only eat animals they wouldn't have any problem killing, too. So she stays away from meat and fowl, but she will occasionally eat fish.

As for the "ask", I have in the past. And that usually resulted in me smiling apologetically when the waitress cleared away my still almost full plate, and then finding a chippie because I was still starving. If it's not on the menu, it's not on there because they can't make anything vegetarian that would be edible.

Edit: Totally misread your last post.

Just order what you would have but ask for it without meat/fish/dairy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I see the word pescetarian and dont associate it as vegetarian, but possibly someone in transition. Fish/shellfish are classed as white meat, just like chicken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I don't mind the use of the term Pescetarian at all - it's the 'I'm a vegetarian but I eat fish' situation that sets me off, is the issue on this thread.

Doh i meant to add that the person using it i would not deem a vegetarian...but would be happy if they decided on what they want, either full on veggie or meater.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Really? Really? I'm not being smart but I thought it was a common enough word, at least to read. I'd be shocked if a child over 8 didn't know what it meant, let alone an adult.

I'm 28 and never noticed the word until I seen this thread on the front page. I had an idea what it meant when I seen it in context but might not have otherwise.

It's very easy to assume that words that are familiar to you due to your area of interest are commonplace, when in fact they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

im on the 'please dont say your vegetarian if you eat fish' side of the discussion.
    im sick of people thinking i eat fish if im veggie!

i dont understand the argument 'its easier to say veggie but eat fish' :/ its much quicker to say pescetarian and if the person doesnt understand you get to teach them something new and feel fulfilled for the day :D

but also ditto on the pescetarian's welcome here! (just use ur cool name :P)

Maybe its a subconscious thing...cause the forum is for Vegans and Vegetarians...maybe mods should include Pescatarians!

Actually...I've been thinking about this discussion alot. Even today at work I was conscious of explaining to people that I dont eat meat and was sort of dreading it all day cause I just know they will look at me like I have 7 heads when they ask is Pizza ok for everyone when we shoot(I hate Pizza and cheese) and I go, well, actually Im pescatarian, so I'll just bring my own food on the day thanks! But I'm going to do it!! I AM I AM... and I'll report back and tell you the reaction I get!

Wish me luck everyone! :)

Doolee wrote: »
    Maybe its a subconscious thing...cause the forum is for Vegans and Vegetarians...maybe mods should include Pescatarians!

Actually...I've been thinking about this discussion alot. Even today at work I was conscious of explaining to people that I dont eat meat and was sort of dreading it all day cause I just know they will look at me like I have 7 heads when they ask is Pizza ok for everyone when we shoot(I hate Pizza and cheese) and I go, well, actually Im pescatarian, so I'll just bring my own food on the day thanks! But I'm going to do it!! I AM I AM... and I'll report back and tell you the reaction I get!

Wish me luck everyone! :)

aww, why do u care what they think? id imagine people would be much more tolerant of a pescetarion then a vegetarian. i know when i tell people im veggie they usually say 'but you eat fish right?' :mad:
    so id presume theyd be happy that u do! lol

i know when i tell people im veggie they usually say 'but you eat fish right?' :mad:
    so id presume theyd be happy that u do! lol[/QUOTE]

:))) Maybe...same as being asked "but you eat chicken yeah"! Even my own father who endlessly tries to get me to eat meat insisted I always ate chicken and when did I stop that??? Ehhh 8 years ago Dad!
    The endless struggles we come up against...honestly:rolleyes:

maybe if we say yea to all the 'but you eat ... right?' we might confuss them so much that theyll stop asking :D

But then they learn nothing if we done that:( For some odd reason i've stopped getting the old "but you eat <insert animal here>" question from people these days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

IzzyWizzy wrote: »

Either you are actually being smart, or grew up in vegetarian household were you heard the word from an early age.

It's really not used outside the vegetarian/specific diet circles. If you were honestly shocked that a child over 8 didn't know what it meant than you must live a very sheltered life.

Advertisement