Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 15 Historic Pictures Thread

Options
  • 01-11-2009 6:59pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, this thread is for users to post pictures from the D15 area highlighting some of the historic places or people that came from here.
    When posting, identify the place and if you know any of the history around it, let usknow that too.

I'll get the ball rolling, if anyone wants to follow, work away.

Here's a photo of Ashtown Crossroads from 1948.

AshtownCrossroads1948.jpg

In the centre we have the Ashtown Tin Box company, which is where DG Gowan are now. I think the box co. are now located at a far smaller premises in Finglas.
    To the right of that you can see the monument to Martin Savage, which is now placed against the wall of the racecourse at the roundabout.

Further right is Kellys (Halfway House) Pub.

Near the Very top right you can (just about!) see the dome of the observatory in Dunsink, and just below it the below it, Dunsinea and Scribblestown.
    Peeping through the trees near the centre of the picture is Ashton House.

bottom right is a house who's name I cant remember (I think it may have been belvedere or windemere) which was replaced by apartments a few years ago.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

The world famous Rathborne Candle makers were based in the Dunsinea/Scribblestown area from the 1790s to the 1920s.
    The company is over 500 years old, one of Irelands oldest established businesses, though it now seems to be owned by Lalors.

The new developments around Ashtown have taken on the Rathborne name, and some of the blocks have names based on the candle business (Waxworks, chandlers etc)

The Dunsinea factory site is currently home to Manders Coatings & inks and Metro motors, and is near the new all-weather pitches that Pheonix FC own.

This picture shows some candles being mad around 1896.

candlemaking.jpg

This one shows rows of wax laid out in the fields around Dunsinea to be bleached by the sun:
    DunsineaWaxBleaching.jpg
    If I can dig up any more photos from there I'll post them.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

:D wow intresting how Ashtown crossroad looked like back then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

What a great idea for a thread.
    Has anyone got any photos of Clonsilla?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Gaspode wrote: »

bottom right is a house who's name I cant remember (I think it may have been belvedere or windemere) which was replaced by apartments a few years ago.

It was called Belvedere as far as I can remember and was owned by the Hendron Family.

I heard that about 10 or so years ago, the old woman who owned that house was approached by a builder and was offered the princely some of 250,000euro for her house and land. She took the offer and a year later the builder sold the houses that he built for 250,000euro for the cheapest house.:(.

I hope this isn't true, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

From the National Archives - Castleknock college & Dunsink Observatory around 1880
    lroy1120.jpg

lroy3930.jpg

No info on these photos, just came across them on a site.

O'Briens forge, Blanchardstown
    briens-forge-blanchardstown.jpg

St. Brigid's blanchardstown
    st-brigids-church-blanchardstown.jpg

Blanchardstown Brass Band in 1946, looks like they're marching in Pheonix Park?
    I think this band is still on the go.
    blanchardstown-brass-band-1936.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Nice work Gaspode :)

O'Briens forge I believe was situated where Garden house now is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

I have a set of pictures on Flickr of the construction of the original M50 roundabout. They were taken in February 1990, to the best of my recollection.

An aerial view of Blanchardstown, but unfortunately I cant find a date for it. Anyone care to try identify some of the landmarks?

aerial-view-of-blanchardstown.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I have a set of pictures on Flickr of the construction of the original M50 roundabout. They were taken in February 1990, to the best of my recollection.

Nice pics bunnyhopper!

There's a great set of arial photos in the corridors of the upstairs toilets in the Blanchardstown Towncentre of the construction/development of the Blanch site/SC

Gaspode wrote: »
    An aerial view of Blanchardstown, but unfortunately I cant find a date for it. Anyone care to try identify some of the landmarks?

aerial-view-of-blanchardstown.jpg
    Great picture. Well it predates JC Hospital(1955) as its not there. The 3 story building in the center right by the Canal is the old flower mill, built(late 1700's). it became the British Margerine Factory(from early 1900's) and then the Crest factory(1972-1984) were the apartments at the 12th lock are now. The high tower beside the factory is also part of the mill. The new apts. are named after this mill.( The Mill Apartments).

The fields to the bottom left of the mill, on the other side of the canal was called Brady's farm.

This picture was taken after the houses on Herbert Road (on Mill road) were built. So find the year they were built and you have a rough idea of when the picture was taken.

It also looks like Davy and Phelans Pub(The Bell) wasn't built yet.

If your really interested in the local history of D15. then you should get a book called "A Candle in The Window" by a local Historian/writer called Jim Lacey. Fantastic reading, everything you've ever wanted to know about the area, including The Pheonix Park, Chapelizod and Cabra. Lots of ghost stories in there too. Plus lots of the names of old local families from Hundreds of years ago. And lots of photos.

They sell it in Eason's.(Nice Christmas Prezzy for yourself).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

Great idea for a thread. It would class to get comparison pictures taken from the same spot from 2009, or whenever.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭lmmoonbeam1976

i have up tp date ones of blanchardstown village and church lane
    - road beside mace - would it be ok to up load them ??

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yeah, go for it. Even though most people are probably familiar enough with the area, it's good to see a comparison against how it used to be.

WOW! Kaldorn, I've never seen most of these photos before and a great read too. A real treasure trove.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭lmmoonbeam1976

there is one on the extra link that shows my grandmothers house
    i went to Scoil Bhride primary behind the church and lived in blanch village while attending primary
    i remember the "70 " bus only went through the village 3 times a day - 830am , 230pm , and 615pm lol and it was an old single decker - A KC OR KE

mm lets see what else i can remember -
    • Godleys - where the old AIB was - now its an unused space opposite the greyhound
    • o reilly butchers - used to be where the NIB is now
    • the old garda station - where the adult eduacation is now
    • the old forge - where the garden house is now
    :confused::confused::confused:

I vaguely remember Godleys.
    I haven't heard that name in years.

Has anyone got any photos of the old thatch cottage shop in Clonsilla?

Its amazing, you never appreciate these wonderful places until there gone and you never think that there worthy of being photographed until there gone too.

Like the photos that Immoonbeam 1976 has, these might seem just so so now but in 20 or 30 years these photos will be treasured.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Kaldorn wrote: »

I remember that Donnelly's Public House building. It was a Bicycle shop when I knew it.

Godleys I remeber that alright, and the bank beside it.

Is that Berty Donnelly's AKA The Shanty?

I heard he was a champion Cyclist in his day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Anyone know anything about the history of Clonsilla House??

It is where the Portersgate Estate is now.

The tree to the left is still there I believe.

http://www.ihpc.ie/ihpc/Main/Enquiry.asp?iPictureID=15034&iTownID=1466&iCountyID=12

I'd love to know a bit about the history of this house too.

The residents of Portersgate had the branches chopped off the tree to the right of the house about 3 years ago but it refuses to die and is sprouting new shoots. This tree is huge. It has to be hundreds of years old, a big old Silver Birch I think.

Godleys - :

Did this have hidious knitted cardigans and white underpants in the window display?

Or am I remembering horrible window displays that never existed?

Enii wrote: »
    Did this have hidious knitted cardigans and white underpants in the window display?

Or am I remembering horrible window displays that never existed?

OMG! Godleys!!!!!!!

Now there's a blast from the past!

I remember cardigans. But not sure about the underwears!

amdublin wrote: »
    OMG! Godleys!!!!!!!

Now there's a blast from the past!

I remember cardigans. But not sure about the underwears!

So I am imagining the under-wares! Eugh I have a sick mind!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

suey71 wrote: »
    Is that Berty Donnelly's AKA The Shanty?

I heard he was a champion Cyclist in his day.

I think that's right, I remember an uncle of mine telling me that they used to cycle to Navan from Cabra with his cycling club and would always stop at Donnellys for a drink on the way - not sure if that was alcoholic or not though :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

These seems to be a real dearth of aerial images of Dublin 15 in years gone by. Even photos from the 1960s and 1970s when major development of the area was only getting underway would be of great historic value, given how recent much of the housing in the area is.

I would hazard a guess that the aerial image of the Royal Canal and Blanchardstown village wolud date from the late 1930s or 1940s - after the houses on Herbert Road were built but before the houses on the old Navan Road were developed and Davy & Phelans Pub was built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BostonB wrote: »
    I remember that Donnelly's Public House building. It was a Bicycle shop when I knew it.

Got my first bike there and a few after that!

Advertisement