Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kino cinema to close

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

Surely it can be saved, maybe show some main stream films for the near by UCC students, can they sell beer, a cinema that sells beer would do well, its time to compromise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

suppafly wrote: »
    here's the support page for "Save the Kino" on facebook

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=210189208344

Could this be the first FB support page to ever actually achieve anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

liberal wrote: »
    Surely it can be saved, maybe show some main stream films for the near by UCC students, can they sell beer, a cinema that sells beer would do well, its time to compromise

The Kino shouldn't compromise on showing mainstream films, there are plenty of places in Cork where they can be seen. If the students have got as far as the Kino, the Gate is only another 5 minutes walk away.

Trying to attract students into the Kino would be a better option, maybe set up a UCC film club (if one doesnt exist already) in conjunction with the Kino.

As for selling beer it could be beneficial depending on the cost of getting a licence. There isn't much space at present for a bar but a fridge with a couple of brands & some wine might help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

If Kino starts showing mainstream films, then it isn't an arthouse indie cinema.

Defeats. The. Purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Terrible news...Only been in there once as i just moved to cork but the movies it showed were great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

do you know what else defeats the purpose?

no cinema

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nolecki

The meeting is on at 2pm in the Opera House on saturday (tomorrow). The paying of the immediate debt will be discussed as well as the issue of the Kino's future security and income. I expect after Saturday we will all know how and where to make donations.

nolecki wrote: »
    The meeting is on at 2pm in the Opera House on saturday (tomorrow). The paying of the immediate debt will be discussed as well as the issue of the Kino's future security and income. I expect after Saturday we will all know how and where to make donations.

I thought the meeting was on in the Kino? Not that I'll be able to make it I'll be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭FungiWalsh

mudokon wrote: »
    I thought the meeting was on in the Kino? Not that I'll be able to make it I'll be working.
    Apparently, the venue's been changed to the Opera House due to the level of interest in the meeting. That's according to a guy I spoke to when I was picking up a bunch of film festival tickets in the Opera House lobby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 stoptherot

Yes, I heard it from a preson who was speaking to Mick Hannigan of the Kino. 2pm In the Opera House today (Saturday).

• Advertisement

That is good news if they had to change the venue because of the amount of people who were concerned about it.

Even though it was bad news about the Kino, It was good timing when the story broke as there is a lot of focus on cinema in Cork due to the film festival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 stoptherot

Was at today's meeting. Very well attended. I'd say 250-300 people, including a lot of politicians. Details will be posted on the Facebook site. A lot of enthusiasm, a lot of ideas. I am very optimistic. City Manager has made a phone call of support, which is very significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

thought I'd add a pic or two:
    4067386795_74f758bc95.jpg

the support for the save the kino campaign looks promising - I really like the sound of public ownership.

4068137764_abbce7a2cb.jpg

deRanged wrote: »
    the support for the save the kino campaign looks promising - I really like the sound of public ownership.

+1 on the public ownership.

Here are the links to the rest of the videos from the meeting that were on youtube.

Save the Kino meeting part 2
    Save the Kino meeting part 3
    Save the Kino meeting part 4
    Save the Kino meeting part 5
    Save the Kino meeting part 6
    Save the Kino meeting part 7
    Save the Kino meeting part 8

There was also an interview recorded with Mick Hannigan after the meeting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Aw thats a real pity :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭nacl

This city has not always been kind to the artist - Séamus Murphy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb6gkJnxxbs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Where we gonna get to see decent movies now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Where we gonna get to see decent movies now?

I think the Kino's biggest problem was that outside of a core of people, very few outsiders went to see movies there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    I think the Kino's biggest problem was that outside of a core of people, very few outsiders went to see movies there.

Aye, I'm a blow in but I've gone a few times when there was a movie on there that caught my eye. I couldnt believe it was the only independent arthouse cinema outside of Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I would venture to guess I've been 4 times since this time last year, and that might be an exaggeration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

There's a rescue plan in place, apparently. Someone was telling me that tonight - didn't get all the details though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭nacl

sovkhoz wrote: »
    I read this and really shouted NOOO at the computer
    I'm going to cry! This can't happen!!

Things may not be so bleak after all going by this message on Facebook-

On 12th November 2009 Mick Hannigan and representatives of Friends of Kino Trust and steering committee met the City Manager, Joe Gavin, Valerie O’Sullivan (director of services: recreation, amenity and culture) and Liz Meaney, city arts officer, in relation to the future of the Kino cinema. The meeting was very constructive and further meetings are planned. In the meanwhile please continue to show your support by going to the Kino and enjoying the excellent programme.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=210189208344&ref=mf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭glanman

what is the news with the kino?

have looked at the facebook and site and not much is happening it seems:(

I haven't been in the city for a while so would appreciate an update...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

glanman wrote: »
    what is the news with the kino?

have looked at the facebook and site and not much is happening it seems:(

I haven't been in the city for a while so would appreciate an update...

probably another big hyped up thing with lots of people pledging their support (anyone joining these 'active' groups) and after a while the fad wears off and beneath the melodramatic emotions it turns out to be just another non-profit yielding business wrapping up, happens every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

The Opera House are showing films in the meantime via the Cineclub. Theres info on www.corkoperahouse.ie :)

Advertisement