Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calvin Harris Gig

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Oh, so it's a DJ set. Well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rossodwyer

Hi,
    I am Ross O'Dwyer co-owner of Energy Events the promotion company behind this event.
    We set up this company to bring the students and younger generation of Cork major acts and quality events at low prices. That’s the goal and we are certainly achieving that with this event priced at €30.
    Tickets are available from www.ticketgroup.ie , HMV Cork, Cliffords DayBreak next to UCC, Texaco Model Farm Road and Plugd records on Washington Street.
    The event is on the 19th Nov in Curraheen Park in a Massive Marquee in the overflow car park! For those of you not from Cork that is near Bishopstown which is just outside the city centre.

Tickets are going very fast so do not miss out!

If you have any questions about the event give me an email at rossodwyer21@live.ie

All students of Cork should really get behind this event, our unions do nothing with regards to major events their too lazy and are happy just to do nothing. What annoys me is i offered to run this event through the unions back in September and they turned it down so that’s their problem, their reason being that students would cause ruin to the area, upset neighbours and just create a lot of disruptions!
    Well their wrong and let’s show them that is not the case.

Kind Regards
    Ross O'Dwyer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Hattrick

Ross thanks for the update but it does nothing to instill confidence. It seems very petty and unprofessional to be blaming UCC and CIT for wanting to have nothing to do with you. Really brush up on people skills otherwise you will find it hard to do business with others in future.

Would you blame UCC / CIT for ignoring you if it is true that the local Gardai hadnt been told of an event of this scale? Thats laughable if true but would seriously hope that if this is going ahead that the correct amount of security and first aid crew are on site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bbs4

I heard that both Unions have distanced themselves from this event because of the complete lack of professionalism of those who are organising the event. How could a Union get involved with an event that may or may not go ahead, also I heard that Cubins and other entities whom are supposedly endorsing the event are not involved with the event in any shape or form.

There is no way I would fork out €30 for a ticket for an event first of all which may not go ahead but secondly, on the day how can we be guaranteed entry as I do not believe those organising it have the professionalism to coordinate the security on the day.

What would happen after the gig, where does every one go? start flagging down the no.8

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Bbs4 wrote: »
    I heard that both Unions have distanced themselves from this event because of the complete lack of professionalism of those who are organising the event. How could a Union get involved with an event that may or may not go ahead, also I heard that Cubins and other entities whom are supposedly endorsing the event are not involved with the event in any shape or form.

There is no way I would fork out €30 for a ticket for an event first of all which may not go ahead but secondly, on the day how can we be guaranteed entry as I do not believe those organising it have the professionalism to coordinate the security on the day.

What would happen after the gig, where does every one go? start flagging down the no.8

I think this is gonna be a write off.

We are 1 day away and there's no real confirmation that it's going ahead. I can see why the Unions are distancing themselves from this event. This must be 1 of the worst thought out plans for a gig in a long while.

There's a genuine safety concern here after "the gig" happens.

Just reading over Ross's comment. "Quality events at low prices" Quality is a loose word in that considering no feedback has been given yet. €30 is too much if you don't even know if it's going ahead.

My advice, just give it a skip OR see if you can get a refund. If not, enjoy the show IF it goes ahead

EDIT 1: http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2989349&postcount=18 - Ross is now posting on the PRoC and, again, being petty on the UCC SU. Why didn't he just post that here on boards??

EDIT 2: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62763458&postcount=1 - He posted as a person who just bought a ticket yet he is co-owner of the company behind this???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I think this is gonna be a write off.

We are 1 day away and there's no real confirmation that it's going ahead. I can see why the Unions are distancing themselves from this event. This must be 1 of the worst thought out plans for a gig in a long while.

There's a genuine safety concern here after "the gig" happens.

Just reading over Ross's comment. "Quality events at low prices" Quality is a loose word in that considering no feedback has been given yet. €30 is too much if you don't even know if it's going ahead.

My advice, just give it a skip OR see if you can get a refund. If not, enjoy the show IF it goes ahead

EDIT 1: http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2989349&postcount=18 - Ross is now posting on the PRoC and, again, being petty on the UCC SU. Why didn't he just post that here on boards??

EDIT 2: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62763458&postcount=1 - He posted as a person who just bought a ticket yet he is co-owner of the company behind this???

Hmmm its not supposed to be on until the 19th of December.

But on another point if he posed as a person who bought a ticket...... like I said before serious smell of scam. Well, not scam so much but the organisation is so bad that chances are it won't happen!! I mean- take advertising as an example. Nobody I know has heard about this gig, unless they heard it on boards........

Hmmm its not supposed to be on until the 19th of December.

But on another point if he posed as a person who bought a ticket...... like I said before serious smell of scam. Well, not scam so much but the organisation is so bad that chances are it won't happen!! I mean- take advertising as an example. Nobody I know has heard about this gig, unless they heard it on boards........

I'm wrong, sorry. I got my dates confused, it's on the 19th of November.:o:o

I'm begining to think scam as well. If you weren't on boards, you woldn't have heard about this. To me, it seem's to be only a rumour that someone's trying to make a profit out of. Has anyone tried contacting Curraheen Park to see if there is something happening on the 19th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Hattrick

I have seen a poster in Texaco near Parchment but it says free into Cubins. Ive been told that this is not true. Can we get clarification from Ross what is going on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

Was told by someone I know in Curraheen Park this gig will not be happening there. Apparently they could have the venue when the dog track is not open but they switched dates to a Thursday. IMRO and Gardai were down their backs this week so it will not be happening there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Jenny_Q19

Ok, just to try and settle this a little....I phoned Ticketgroup earlier (who I got my tickets from) and they said that this gig is definitely not a scam and as far as they were concerned the gig is still going ahead as they have not been told otherwise by the promoter!!:D

As well as that, if you bought the tickets from them (Ticketgroup) and in the event that the gig is cancelled (like any other event) they do give a full refund! Lets just see what happens guys, could be all talk!!! Gossip is as good advertisement as any!!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Jenny_Q19 wrote: »
    Ok, just to try and settle this a little....I phoned Ticketgroup earlier (who I got my tickets from) and they said that this gig is definitely not a scam and as far as they were concerned the gig is still going ahead as they have not been told otherwise by the promoter!!:D

This more than likely means that they dont know as thet havent been in contact with the promoter (and vice versa) but I was talking to Curraheen Dog Track today and they said they will not allow the gig on their grounds.

I'd guess the organisers are running around frantically at the mo trying for another venue if possible at this late stage. Dont know of any other venue available that could or would want to take up to 5000 students.

This more than likely means that they dont know as thet havent been in contact with the promoter (and vice versa) but I was talking to Curraheen Dog Track today and they said they will not allow the gig on their grounds.

I'd guess the organisers are running around frantically at the mo trying for another venue if possible at this late stage. Dont know of any other venue available that could or would want to take up to 5000 students.

Realistically................no

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Ross, can you answer the following questions?

Is it true that the Gardai were not informed until yesterday?
    How are 5,000 students going to get from Curaheen to wherever they live?
    Why are the dog track still claiming the event will not be held there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bobcork10

I was talking to the people organising this event the other day. All i can say is fair play to them, wish i had there balls!! I think it’s kind of funny the way people think it’s a scam though... First of all why would they put there company name behind this if it wasn't true!! They would prob be in jail at this stage! Don’t think people realise the amount of trouble they would be in if it wasn’t ''Calvin Harris''... Also why would he post it in his ''myspace'' if it was spoof??? Also the saw doctors have this on there page?? I guess there spoofing as well? Also why would ticketgroup.ie and HMV sell tickets for this if the acts weren't confirmed?? I think people need to get behind the students that are organising this!!!! This is massive and i would like to wish them the best of luck, i think cork needs this and i hope they organise more concerts like this one in the future!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭glanman

People are generally wary of people posting pretending to be impartial and then being found out. People are also generally wary of people who post the same comment in two different forums to promote someones cause (you). People are also generally wary of people who come on public forums dissing other groups/poster who don't agree with them or question there ways...

The problem people have with this thread and gig is that everybody seems to be distancing themselves from it (the venue, SU, cops, nightclubs) and then have you/ross/their friends (sometimes the same people) coming and being all aggressive.

Also why hasn't ross answered and of the legit questions? maybe you can ask him the next time you meet him:rolleyes:

I think he has gone the wrong way about this. He should have started small, promoting gigs and club nights, not a 5,000 people gig for his first time. He has no reputation. he has alienated a lot of people already and this is not being helped by his mates/himself/"genuine punters" coming on supporting him in your way. I predict this won't go ahead, but if it does it will be a shambles: bad sound, light, bar, transport, safety, security etc...

So that is why
    people think it’s a scam

I 100% agree Bob, sorry, but this company didn't come out to scam all the students in Cork, they're trying to bring a huge name to Cork FOR the students!! I have my tickets, and can't wait for a great night! :D I realise there is a lot of confusion around the gig, but there always is frankly. I've bought tickets to gigs from much MUCH bigger promoters and was informed the day before that the gig was cancelled, having booked hotels, flights etc to the venue (and also not getting a 100% refund from them).

Lets have some confidence in these people, they're trying to do something good for us, not rip us all off, they'd be stupid to mess with 5000+ students in fairness now that we all know who the main man is!! We should be supporting them to do this, not ripping them to shreds everytime we hear a rumour!!;)

bobcork10 wrote: »
    I was talking to the people organising this event the other day. All i can say is fair play to them, wish i had there balls!! I think it’s kind of funny the way people think it’s a scam though... First of all why would they put there company name behind this if it wasn't true!! They would prob be in jail at this stage! Don’t think people realise the amount of trouble they would be in if it wasn’t ''Calvin Harris''... Also why would he post it in his ''myspace'' if it was spoof??? Also the saw doctors have this on there page?? I guess there spoofing as well? Also why would ticketgroup.ie and HMV sell tickets for this if the acts weren't confirmed?? I think people need to get behind the students that are organising this!!!! This is massive and i would like to wish them the best of luck, i think cork needs this and i hope they organise more concerts like this one in the future!!

Firstly I would like to welcome new users bobcork10 and Jenny_Q19 to boards.ie. It great to have a good and fair discussion and I for one do not find it anyway suspicious that your only reason for being on these forums is to talk up this event!!!! Seriously! ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

CIT mucker fest, I garantee

Firstly I would like to welcome new users bobcork10 and Jenny_Q19 to boards.ie. It great to have a good and fair discussion and I for one do not find it anyway suspicious that your only reason for being on these forums is to talk up this event!!!! Seriously! ;-)

Sure once they've the plane tickets and the house bought in Santa Ponsa they wont have much left, that's where the dole comes in, E200 a week plus free house, lads I take my hat off to ye ;)

calvin harris my arse

Careful now, don't get this thread closed, I feel there is lots of entertainment to come from this!!

• Advertisement

Well thanks Phillip! I have no idea who or what have organised this, but I am a fair person who is giving them the benefit of the doubt! Why shouldn't I??! I am sure however that in the event that the gig is cancelled, then yes, I will be annoyed coz I'm really looking forward to it and forked out the money for it. But considering I haven't heard that it is cancelled, I have no reason to give out about it!!!??:confused:

Are you not worried considering all the questions being raised and not being answered???

Its just interesting that your first post was to open this topic... sceptical...

Ok, im going to say fair play to the organisers, took balls to do it, hope it goes well

Well thanks Phillip! I have no idea who or what have organised this, but I am a fair person who is giving them the benefit of the doubt! Why shouldn't I??! I am sure however that in the event that the gig is cancelled, then yes, I will be annoyed coz I'm really looking forward to it and forked out the money for it. But considering I haven't heard that it is cancelled, I have no reason to give out about it!!!??:confused:

I was just commenting that it is strange that you and bob have less than ten posts with 99.9% of them talking up this event. Some might consider that suspicious??

I havent a clue what is happening now with this event and I dont care. I dont want to see students like yourself out of pocket. All I do know is that I was talking to a senior manager in Curraheen Park yesterday and she told me this event will not be on their grounds. If its not there, then its either cancelled or moving somewhere else.

It would be nice to get clarification from the organisers who need to put an update here urgently!

glanman wrote: »
    Are you not worried considering all the questions being raised and not being answered???

Its just interesting that your first post was to open this topic... sceptical...

Coz I wanted to know if anyone else was going coz I hadn't heard talk about it???! Ur man gave his email address for any questions, so what more dya want?!!! He has guts to put himself out there after all this giving out of ya ask me!!

I was just commenting that it is strange that you and bob have less than ten posts with 99.9% of them talking up this event. Some might consider that suspicious??

I havent a clue what is happening now with this event and I dont care. I dont want to see students like yourself out of pocket. All I do know is that I was talking to a senior manager in Curraheen Park yesterday and she told me this event will not be on their grounds. If its not there, then its either cancelled or moving somewhere else.

It would be nice to get clarification from the organisers who need to put an update here urgently!

But if you don't care anymore then why all the mouth??! I'm sure we will be told if gig is cancelled or venue changed etc, gig isn't for another 2 weeks, loads of time yet, so I'm not gonna get my knickers in a twist just yet!!;)

Yeah I heard it was a marquee, I saw the gig through Bebo on Calvin Harris page that linked onto the Ticketgroup crowd that are selling the tickets! Nothing besides that though. Dunno why its on so early either, but hey, more drinking time!!;) Gonna be amazing!
    Coz I wanted to know if anyone else was going coz I hadn't heard talk about it???! Ur man gave his email address for any questions, so what more dya want?!!! He has guts to put himself out there after all this giving out of ya ask me!!

hmmmm..... never seen anyone describe an event they have nothing to do with so well. Ask them for a job ;-)

hmmmm..... never seen anyone describe an event they have nothing to do with so well. Ask them for a job ;-)

What??:D:D I've heard pretty much the same thing as everyone else yet I'm suspicious???! Oh Phillip, you should be a detective!!

But if you don't care anymore then why all the mouth??! I'm sure we will be told if gig is cancelled or venue changed etc, gig isn't for another 2 weeks, loads of time yet, so I'm not gonna get my knickers in a twist just yet!!;)

I said I dont care about the gig but I do care about students possibly loosing €30 a head!

Curraheen told me its not happening on their grounds. I dont want to see students loose money and we havent received an update from the organisers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Haha. This is all ridiculous. Never thought such a seemingly big event could have the majority of its er..press coverage..on boards.

Advertisement