Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

elder scrolls 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

They're being rather quiet about the whole affair and I'm looking forward to their next announcement. I mean, anything is better than: "It'll probably be out in 2010".

I am really looking forward to the Elder Scrolls V as I found that Oblivion, while immensely enjoyable, was just not as...epic... as Morrowind. I think that they will make it right with the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Valmont wrote: »
    I am really looking forward to the Elder Scrolls V as I found that Oblivion, while immensely enjoyable, was just not as...epic... as Morrowind. I think that they will make it right with the next one.

+1 - I think I prefer Morrowind as a game: much bigger and the aesthetic was cooler. The dropping of Cliffracers was a welcome change in Oblivion though. Here's hoping Elder Scrolls 5 is based in the Nordic continent (the name of which escapes me)!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I just hope they learnt their mistakes from Oblivion and Fallout. The small things really annoyed the most .e.g how your character ran when in 3rd person view and everyone sounding the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 N-line

WoaW !! that would be like dream coming true for me haha

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Being a recent newcomer to both fallout 3 and obvilion,I look forward to this :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

You should check the date of articles. That was a quote from late October 2008. Todd Howard has recently stated: "Don't look for a new Elder Scrolls game in the near future" at QuakeCon 2009 according to Peter Hines. And Hines has said: "Both Todd and I have said repeatedly that, of course, we're going to do another Elder Scrolls game. The last one was enormously popular. So was the one before that. You get the idea. So do we.".

Late 2011 is the earliest I'd imagine, but I'd bet on 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

Mmm, we've heard too little about it for it to be releasd next year, we'd have much more info at this stage if that was to be the case.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

wolfric wrote: »

I am more surprised that there are Elder Scrolls books, are these fan fiction or do the writers of the games create them?

Anyone ever read one?

Vegeta wrote: »
    I am more surprised that there are Elder Scrolls books, are these fan fiction or do the writers of the games create them?

Anyone ever read one?

Did you not read the very popular books in-game? The books are an essential part of the game that provide the setting with richness and character.

On that subject, Tavi Dromio's series of tales as told by characters Xiomara, Garaz and Hallgerd are really entertaining and my favourite books: Bone Part I & II, Hallgerd's Tale, and Vernaccus and Bourlor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

Really looking forward to the next one, hopefully which can combine Morrowind and Oblivion together somehow. 200 years in the future? Sounds interesting

200 years in the future? Sounds interesting

Could be just an excuse to include ballistic guns a la Fallout 3 in the game. Combat mechanics for the Elder Scrolls series need a serious re-vamp, and more depth to it than simply holding the attack button.

They managed to fix the gross errors of Oblivion in Fallout 3 by removing random loot and not leveling enemies; so, I doubt they'll make those two same mistakes, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

an elder scrolls v would be great if it happens . they are working on another dlc for fallout 3 though .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    Combat mechanics for the Elder Scrolls series need a serious re-vamp, and more depth to it than simply holding the attack button.

I think "repeated bashing" of the attack button is a more accurate term. If you simply hold it down you will perform a power attack and then do nothing until you release and press it again. Not to mention there is blocking, running around, jumping to dodge attacks and archery attacks. In fact, I don't think it was that bad.

I absolutely hated the VATS thing in Fallout and I hope they don't have that one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

an elder scrolls v would be great if it happens . they are working on another dlc for fallout 3 though .

Really?

I could swear Bethesda said fallout 3 is done and dusted...

Actually if all you did was mash buttons then you really didn't understand the system at all. The basic form you could start off with is just keep on hitting your apponent. Then hitting and blocking recurring but it gets far more advanced than that. There is an oblivion mod that even adds a great deal of extra combat experience called deadly reflex (link).
    Even on the subject of power attacks the way you lead up to the power attack makes all the difference. For example timing the speed so that when you run backwards your enemy starts running full speed into you. When you run backwards and make a power attack you want them to just hit within your reach before they have a chance to attack or block. doing it this way has a chance to knock your enemy down. Go too far and you won't reach them too close they'll block. Continuous smashing with a sword is the least effective way to win a battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

MultiUmm wrote: »
    Really?

they said so after they got there golden joystick award , it was on inside xbox

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Does anyone actually plan to read this book? Sounds quite interesting, for the hardcore TES fan.

Some of the important gaps filled through the book (I haven't read it, just seen highlights) are . . .
    The Empire completely collapses, and the Argonians invade and conquer Morrowind and the Dunmer flee to Solstheim . . . amongst other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Well, I think its safe to say we'll be on the next generation of consoles when the next one comes out. Really hope, like others here its more Morrowind, and less Oblivion.

Honestly i'd make do with this. Fuck bethsoft and their "brink". If they can't see what people obviously want then they can loose the business.

• Advertisement

"First person shooter in a fantasy world" isn't an RPG. And I don't give a toss about multiplayer. I play these vast games for the single player. The attraction for many of us to The Elder Scrolls games, and other games like Mass Effect, and other RPGs is being able to play alone.

Hell, take BioShock which is an FPS, lots of people are opposed to the multiplayer in that. Not all games need multiplayer.

actually i didn't get that far into the clip i just posted it as soon as it started playing.

Edit: i don't hear anything about multiplayer. FPS can refer to the view not just the game type.

I'm not seeing anything on that vid to suggest the trappings of RPG. And it says Squad Based Multiplayer at 03:16.

Actually if all you did was mash buttons then you really didn't understand the system at all. The basic form you could start off with is just keep on hitting your apponent. Then hitting and blocking recurring but it gets far more advanced than that. There is an oblivion mod that even adds a great deal of extra combat experience called deadly reflex (link).
    Even on the subject of power attacks the way you lead up to the power attack makes all the difference. For example timing the speed so that when you run backwards your enemy starts running full speed into you. When you run backwards and make a power attack you want them to just hit within your reach before they have a chance to attack or block. doing it this way has a chance to knock your enemy down. Go too far and you won't reach them too close they'll block. Continuous smashing with a sword is the least effective way to win a battle.

I missed this. It wasn't a complex system. It was easily exploitable. The most effective method of attack was to bait a power attack from the enemy, evade it, power attack, and repeat (the AI would always repeat the power attack), which doesn't involve anything other than holding the attack button (and releasing it for those individuals who want to waste time with unnecessary semantics) and moving in the z-axis. Of course, you could utilize other strategies and tactics and the game had a variety, but the game's combat never forced you to use other strategies. Therefore, for the system to be complex, the player had to impose invisible rules to make it even playable.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Honestly i'd make do with this. Fuck bethsoft and their "brink". If they can't see what people obviously want then they can loose the business.

Thats looks interesting.

MultiUmm wrote: »
    Really?

Are'nt they bringing out fallout 3 vegas or somthing this yr?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Thats a full game as far as I know, developed by the people behind fallout 2. Sounds pretty interesting.

Court documents say Bethesda's MMO already under dev, rumor says it's Elder Scrolls

http://www.massively.com/2010/01/20/court-documents-show-bethesdas-mmo-already-underdev-rumor-says/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Don't think that's the case myself, its out of line with what TES really is.

Besides, hasn't Todd Howard effectively dismissed this theory here? . . .
    To be clear, Todd and his team do not make MMOs, for any franchise, at all. We have another division – ZeniMax Online Studios – which is lead by Matt Firor, and they are working on an MMO.

I dont think Howard & Co. would hand over development of another TES game to another team all that easily . . .

The media need to start distinguishing between the subsidiaries of ZeniMax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 MadMattDog

In late October 2008, shortly after the release of Fallout 3, Bethesda's Publishing Executive, Paul Oughton, indicated that the series' fifth installment could be released in 2010. Zenimax, the owner of Bethesda Softworks, had trademarked the name "Skyrim" in 2006, but its relation to the fifth installment of the series is uncertain, although certain characters in Oblivion have been heard conversing about how the Daedra are currently attacking Skyrim.

from: http://www.hitmanforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=50109

It will come, And. It. Will. Be. EPIC!

Advertisement