Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother gets 6 years for drink driving causing death

Options
  • 06-10-2009 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1006/carberrym.html

I don't care if she 'suffered from an addiction to alcohol from an early age'.

I don't care if she has to live with her guilt for the rest of her life.

6 years for effectively murdering 2 children and seriously injuring 2 others is disgraceful. She was banned from driving at the time of the crash, she was warned by others in the pub that she was unfit to drive, and she still did it.

These stories make me so angry. Why do drunk drivers consistently get such light sentences? What is the reasoning behind it? It's not as though they don't know the dangers when they get behind the wheel. She'll probably be out in 3-4 years. Sick of reading about this stuff. Any thoughts? :mad:

Rant over.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

should be banned for life from driving too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

R_H_C_P wrote: »

She was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

That really is ridiculous. I think a fairer sentence would be around 20 years in prison, and straight back to prison if she ever touches a drop of alcohol again. No driving ever again of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Jaeger 90

Why would you call something murder when its clearly not?

Is it that you cant actually make the distinction or you just think people should be tried on crimes based on public reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to this weeks bleeding heart liberals -vs- hard line disciplinarians After Hours thread.

We tried, but we couldn't find any cases of a paedophile getting released from prison early unfortunately, so we have decided to go with a nice mix of dead children, drink-driving, alcoholism and a sentence that is guaranteed to cause outrage in some, so we feel that this mix should give everyone more than enough material to work with, there's something in there for everyone.

Be sure to come back next week, we're trying to get Myra Hindley released from prison on humanitarian grounds for that one to really get a shit-storm going, fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

R_H_C_P wrote: »

should be banned for life from after hours too.

Not only did she drive drunk with her children in the car. She also had 4 kids in the car so it is safe to assume they did not have seatbelts never mind car seats. There is no mention of what charges her 'friend' Logan faces. She, in my opinion, is just as guilty.

The only thing I will add is that she is facing a life sentence knowing her actions caused the death of her own child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

the last 2 years of the 6 year sentence are suspended.

She'll be out in 3 years tops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

orestes wrote: »
    Be sure to come back next week, we're trying to get Myra Hindley released from prison on humanitarian grounds for that one to really get a shit-storm going, fingers crossed.

emm, didnt she die a few years ago??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

What a disgusting, selfish human being.

Anyone know what's the story with her surviving child/children? I would hope she won't get custody of them when she gets out of jail.

And I agree that the other mother of the other child was pretty much every bit as guilty, she should be charged as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,061 ✭✭✭✭walshb

She's a toe-rag, plain and simple. She may not have set out to kill, but her actions
    and her lack of respect and consideration caused two deaths and that is despicable.

Hey, she could have not driven, or driven and simply left the kids with someone, she didn't have to take those kids to their deaths. She did, and in doing so, she deserves about 15 years in Jail. She had to know the risk and danger involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,374 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

sam34 wrote: »

so she ain't in prison any more? FFS....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Not only did she drive drunk with her children in the car. She also had 4 kids in the car so it is safe to assume they did not have seatbelts never mind car seats. There is no mention of what charges her 'friend' Logan faces. She, in my opinion, is just as guilty.

The only thing I will add is that she is facing a life sentence knowing her actions caused the death of her own child.
    She could'nt have loved her kids that much if she was prepered to get into as car piss drunk and drive around with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,061 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Well, one could say that she obviously didn't give a flying **** about her child. You know, not all women like or love their children.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

sam34 wrote: »
    That's what makes it controversial!

Bandit12 wrote: »
    She could'nt have loved her kids that much if she was prepered to get into as car piss drunk and drive around with them.

Look I agree with you, people driving around with kids unbelted makes my blood boil, and the one thing I always say about them is "they must not love their children very much". But at the end of the day, it's not that easy to say she didn't love her child. I would imagine that she was totally devastated by what happened and will have nightmares about it for the rest of her life. That doesn't make her any less guilty but it is something to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Sick individual.

The worst part is that she was told she was unfit to drive and told them to eff off. Selfish,disgusting person, she never deserved to be a mother.

I reckon drink driving should carry heavier sentences anyway, this just proves the point. 6 years(if that) for killing 2 innocent kids and putiing 2 more in danger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The sentences handed out for drink driving offences in Ireland are extremely leniant. There should be a mandatory jail sentence for anyone caught driving over the limit, and much tougher sentences for those who cause injury or death to others.

The drink drive culture in Ireland has lessened in Ireland in recent years, but in most towns & villages around the country, it is still a very common thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭-Leelo-

Shelga wrote: »

6 years for effectively murdering 2 children and seriously injuring 2 others is disgraceful. She was banned from driving at the time of the crash, she was warned by others in the pub that she was unfit to drive, and she still did it.

These stories make me so angry. Why do drunk drivers consistently get such light sentences? What is the reasoning behind it? It's not as though they don't know the dangers when they get behind the wheel. She'll probably be out in 3-4 years. Sick of reading about this stuff. Any thoughts? :mad:

Rant over.

Feel the exact same, my cousin was killed last year by a drunk driver, he was only 20 :( Now I couldn't give a crap if they want to smash themselves off a wall, but the selfish ****s don't consider the innocent people they put at risk. :mad:

walshb wrote: »
    Well, one could say that she obviously didn't give a flying **** about her child. You know, not all women like or love their children.

True, but forever more she is going to be known as the drunk woman that killed her own child. People won't let her forget, there'll always be whispers, stares and pointing no matter where she goes in this country.

And rightly so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,949 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Did anyone see the picture of her on the 9 o'clock news?

Milf.

Stark wrote: »
    Did anyone see the picture of her on the 9 o'clock news?

Milf.

Murderer I'd Like to Fry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Jaeger 90

TheZohan wrote: »
    Murderer I'd Like to Fry.

'I want people to thank my posts because i feel inadequate in life'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I remember reading this story in the paper when it happened and thinking "poor woman, losing her child is punishment enough" but thats before I read the details of what happened that day

Bad enough she did this with her own child in the car but someone elses??? I know sometimes its possible to think you can drive when you're not really capable and god knows I'm sure we've all done something like driven while under the influence or tired or whatever.

But she was suspended from driving, had been necking bottles most of the day and her lack of ability was pointed out to her by complete strangers and she tells them to "mind their own business"...what could have been going through her head.

I'm a mother myself but I find it really hard to be sorry for her given the circumstances involved...I prefer to reserve my sympathy for the parents of the other child who must be devestated and feel so let down by the justice system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

nahm!

Jaeger 90 wrote: »
    'I want people to thank my posts because i feel inadequate in life'

Chin up Jaeger, I'm sure your feelings of inadequacies will pass after you have the LC under your belt and you leave home.

I'll thank your post to get you through the next few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Why did nobody bother ringing the Guards after she left the Hotel?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

eviltwin wrote: »

I'm a mother myself but I find it really hard to be sorry for her given the circumstances involved...I prefer to reserve my sympathy for the parents of the other child who must be devestated and feel so let down by the justice system

Well, don't forget that the mother of the other child was also in the car, and well aware of how drunk the driver was!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Shelga wrote: »

Rant over.

+1

All hail the Irish Justice System. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

And some toerag stabs a fella to death and just gets an eight year sentence for it, then you have a kiddie fiddling novelist who gets no jailtime for aggravated assault on a 15 year old because our judges would never send one of their own down. Great legal system we have.

Advertisement