Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schoolboy becomes father at just 13.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Yes i would be in favour of such a scheme

The punishment? Abortion.

Now you're just being stupid.

Look you can never tell who is going to make a good parent..its got very little to do with age, income, background etc. Yes they help but lots of people with everything going for them turn out to be rubbish parents..my own included

I had my daughter at just gone 20, I had no experience at all of children and no one in their right mind would have given me or my partner a liscence to have a kid but I like to think we have done a great job with her.

And as for forcing girls to have abortions..yeah I would love to see the fall out of that on the state of their mental health

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Yes i would be in favour of such a scheme

The punishment? Abortion.

Now, i'm not entirely disagreeing with you because it is a pity that any eejit can have a baby BUT.

Firstly, abortion is illegal in this country. Lets pretend it's not. A girl of 17 finds out she is pregnant, she is terrified that if anyone finds out they will make her abort her baby so she hides it for as long as possible, putting the life of her and her baby at risk. So next you'll say well then the baby should be put up for adoption. Have you seen the Magdalen sisters? I cried hysterically after seeing that film. Is that what you want from our country? Girls/Women terrified of becoming pregnant and then having to go through pregnancy, birth alone only for their baby to be taken from them?

Fair enough.

That story is very sad, that poor little lad (the dad that is) hasn't the faintest clue what he has done. He's not even old enough to get a job! We really need better education. Parents should be teaching their kids about sex from an early age but in all fairness, I don't think this kids parents would have been much help anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

can't we just copy over all the replies from the other thread?
    And the countless other ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

00112984 wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's a great way to reduce teenage pregnancies-

BRING BACK FINGERING!!

Fingering has been out of fashion??? :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

techically, does this mean she has to go onto some sort of sex offenders register, because she has had sex with a minor?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

drkpower wrote: »
    Are you advocating a licence before you are allowed have a child? And if so, what is the punishment for having a child without a licence?

Or do you actually have anything constructive to say on the issue?

I just think its a f*cked up world we live in when.

I have to earn a certain amount of money before I can buy a house,
    I need a licence to operate a vehicle,
    I need a licence to look after an animal,
    I need to register to get married,

All life changing events that require planning...yet two kids can have a quick fumble around the back of the wheelie-bins at Spar and start pushing out the sprogs and no one bats an eye-lid, and another family gets that bit closer to the breadline.

Now with a bit of luck that baby is loved and cared for and he/she has the best of oppurtunities in life but then you turn on the TV and Radio and see the likes of Joseph Fritzl or that woman Catherine who was abused by her father in Ireland and you have to start thinking to yourself that there must be a better system for bringing a life into this world.

Do advocate a punishment for not having a licence? sure same as the punishment for all the others a fine and a court appearance if you fail to pay.

but i'd also advocate if you do have a licence well then that makes you eligible for whatever state benefits there may be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

techically, does this mean she has to go onto some sort of sex offenders register, because she has had sex with a minor?

She might have been 15 when the baby was conceived, making her also a minor at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Hard Larry wrote: »
    Earlier this year another 13-year-old, Alfie Patten, from Eastbourne in East Sussex, was believed to have become a father after his 15-year-old girlfriend conceived. But, DNA tests later showed that another 15-year-old was the father.
    eh, owned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

How many times is the "licence" cliché gonna be used? It's even more tired than "Ever notice how ironic it is that the Minister for Health is so fat?"
    James Sutton, from Manchester, became Britain's youngest father of twins in 1999 when aged 13. James was only 12 when his 16-year old girlfriend, Sarah Drinkwater, conceived. The press predicted a bleak future but, a decade on, as well as looking after Leah and Louise, the couple have also had a third daughter, Ellie. After working full-time, James saved and bought the family their own £100,000 home. He helped look after the children while Sarah went through university. Speaking in 2007, James said: "If I could do it again I'd have waited until I was in my 20s, because I missed out on my own childhood."

It's not at all ideal, but it's happened - no turning back. There are very young parents out there who do their utmost under difficult circumstances - where I live in Cork (and ditto where I lived in Dublin) I see numerous teenage mothers (yes, mothers moreso than fathers - that doesn't mean there aren't any decent teen fathers though) and they seem to be superb with their kids: so interested in them, so anxious for them to be polite and well behaved.
    I'm not living in a fantasy land - of course there are teenagers who aren't fit to be parents, but maybe have a think before spewing judgemental bile and assuming age (and yes, class background) means disastrous parenting is an inevitability.

I love how there's all that macho bravado on After Hours about roidin' teenage girls, but when one is pregnant, suddenly the outraged moral guardian hat is donned...

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

I'd have to agree with some and say that the parent's are to blame, there basically kid's and got carried away with themselve's.

What's the point in having a law that say's that one must be over 16 to have sex but when it is broken nothing can be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,083 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

drkpower wrote: »
    Are you advocating a licence before you are allowed have a child? And if so, what is the punishment for having a child without a licence?

Or do you actually have anything constructive to say on the issue?
    Actually, you should need a license. Without a license you would be unable to claim any state benefits for having a child.

Overheal wrote: »
    Actually, you should need a license. Without a license you would be unable to claim any state benefits for having a child.

And just out of interest on what basis do we issue them? Who gets to decide who is parent material for example and what criteria would you have to fit?

Because its totally unworkable. Lots of parents out there are good providers ie have a house, can give a good education etc but how on earth do we weed out the potential sex abusers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 82,083 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

eviltwin wrote: »
    And just out of interest on what basis do we issue them? Who gets to decide who is parent material for example and what criteria would you have to fit?

Because its totally unworkable. Lots of parents out there are good providers ie have a house, can give a good education etc but how on earth do we weed out the potential sex abusers etc
    Taking some basic classes on how to be a parent for a start. So many people are bloody clueless about it.

Overheal wrote: »
    Taking some basic classes on how to be a parent for a start. So many people are bloody clueless about it.

Well I totally agree with you there but I think we should be teaching parenting and basic life skills from the day they start school. It would be nice to think everyone learnt them at home but as thats obviously not going to happen mainstream education should include it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

any pair of twats can bring little miracles

lol.
    little miracles my arse.
    Just another unit being pushed out imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I stand open to correction, but is 16 not the legal age of consent for a girl in Britain? Could she not be brought up for unlawful sex with a minor if this is the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

grenache wrote: »
    I stand open to correction, but is 16 not the legal age of consent for a girl in Britain? Could she not be brought up for unlawful sex with a minor if this is the case?

The age of consent in this country is 16 for girls. There's no age for boys.
    If a girl over 16 has sex with a boy under 16, she's done nothing wrong. If a lad over 16 sleeps with a girl under 16, that's statutory rape of a minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I think people are just jealous he got his hole before anybody else here :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

grenache wrote: »

The point about `what good could possibly come from this` has already been raised.

So she could possibly be put on the sex offender list? Sure everyone who knows about it probably thinks very little of her anyway ATM let alone being branded.

she has a kid for her mistakes. Thats punishment enough I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I wonder is it the same girl from the first case. She'd probably be 16 now and has a proven penchant for 13 year old boys. Would'nt surprise me if it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Magnus wrote: »
    Where do English girls take the ferry to?

Social Services hand-out harbour.

I wonder is it the same girl from the first case. She'd probably be 16 now and has a proven penchant for 13 year old boys. Would'nt surprise me if it was.

lol It really woulndt surprise me at this rate.

probably got fed up of the cabbage patch dolls variety and wanted some real one instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

The child (father), is more mature than most 25 year old men, yet not mature enough to grasp the idea of birth control?

Where does it say birth control wasn't used?

Ridley wrote: »
    Where does it say birth control wasn't used?

Probably said it in the womb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Probably said it in the womb.

The Daily Mirror isn't up that hole.

Ridley wrote: »
    The Daily Mirror isn't up that hole.

Haven't you ever heard of the newswomb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I think people are just jealous he got his hole before anybody else here :cool:

Not so much confused by the thought of it as mildly repulsed, but whatever floats your boat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 SineadLewis

Here we go again.

How come I need a licence for my dog yet any pair of twats can bring little miracles into the world?

Ann22 wrote: »
    Very true. You need a licence for everything these days yet you see all sorts having babies, treating them harshly and letting them roam the streets 'til all hours.
    Tellox wrote: »
    People should be put on mandatory Birth Control until they hit 18. Preferably until they get a license to prove they are not a useless drain on society.

Brilliant. The only area the the government have not got their hands into (yet, mandatory birth control is on its way), and yet you lot are crying out for more laws.

How humanity has fallen. Do you lot never learn, you don't destroy everyones freedoms because of the very odd isolated case. Try and get out of the house more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 SineadLewis

The-Rigger wrote: »
    lol.
    little miracles my arse.
    Just another unit being pushed out imo.

Wow, wow, wow. You are wayyyyy out there.

• Advertisement

unit? ahah

Advertisement