Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Amalgam wrote: »
    I keep forgetting about those, that silky orange-y bakelite is beautiful to look at. what are the blades like? Are they comparable to a modern shave, or is it a compromise?

The blades are very thick, but to be honest I haven't tried it yet (despite owning the razor for over 3 years!) due to difficulty of getting blades. I see that Connaught now stock them so I'll give it a whirl with my next order.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I tried the Mühle R106.. mixed results.

r106shavingdotie.jpg

I love the razor head, but the handle, it's like holding a wet eyeball.. The razor literally jumped out of my hand twice.

The shaving cream, along with a slick black handle, forces you to actively think about how you're handling the razor handle, during the shave, distracting you somewhat from the task.

The shave itself, the razor head has a nice bulk to it, but the character of the cut is far more merciful than say, a Merkur HD. It's a nice 'buttery' shave sensation, nothing too gritty. The neckline and cheeks really benefit from this. If you have sensitive skin, you'd enjoy this razor. ATG (against the grain) on the neck is easy, along with the upper lip.

The downside of the tolerant razor head, If you don't get your angle right, the R106 will frustrate you. The Merkur HD will bite you and leave you red if you shave with a cavalier attitude, the Mühle R106 will not.

Nice shave, shame about the handle.

2xPass 1xChin and lower jaw touch up. Proraso Shaving cream from a tube. ASR, non brand Personna razor blade. (Shaving Shack Offer & Tesco Retail)

Here's some of my razors

I love those black handled Gillette adjustables. I must try and get the short version of it.

I love those black handled Gillette adjustables. I must try and get the short version of it.

Yes they are very nice to look at and hold. I'd love a Gillette Toggle to complete my collection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

On my quest to try out some other open comb razors, I just ordered a Merkur 12c to see how it compares to the vintage Gillette. Hopefully it'll
    be a tad more aggressive to the Gillette New.

I also ordered some Valobra and Cella soaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

I tried the Mühle R106.. mixed results.

Wow, thats a shame. Before I ordered it I actually thought the handle looked like it would be slippy. I checked out reviews on B&B and it got most 8 or 9's out of ten for grip!

Im gonna try it in the morning and see how it is.

No problem with the shave itself, just the handle. The chrome end cap and the shaft both add some limitations to nimble fingerwork. You can't 'end pinch' or apply a light, off hand fingertip hold to the shaft, because if your fingers are tainted with any amount of lather, you'll know about it quick enough.

If you've come from a Merkur HD, you'll enjoy the roundness of the shave.

I've solved my problem for now, doesn't look great, but I'm not bothered about that, if it is shaving me with a normal level of risk.

frankenmuhlerstein.jpg

The handle is from a Gillette, 'Fat Handled Tech'. The thread didn't need any forcing, seems to be standardised.

I wonder can a Jeweler or machine shop engrave or turn the original handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I've been using a DE for the past year and have settled on Feather and Derby blades, I need to make some space in my shaving cabinet so if you are interested in some free razor blades check out the photo below. I've got 9 lots of DE blades and one Gillette Sensor lot. The 9 lots of DE blades contain 1 US Personna pack and 2 of your choice, PM me your address and post your choice so the other boardsies know whats gone.

razorblades.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Yet another very generous offer from a DE Boardsie! I'd like to take you up on your offer. Think I could try the Gillette 7 o clock platinum and Wilkinson Sword?

Sending PM also...

• Advertisement

Very nice DonJose, mark me down for an Astra pack and a 7 O'Clock pack. PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Put me down for a 7 O Clock and Astra Superior, would be great

[EDIT] Pm sent with address

3 lots gone, vengeance52, I'm sending you the green 7 oclock as the other 2 posters got the black 7oclock, heres whats left

razorblades2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Most kind of you to offer.

Could I have the Super Max Platinum and Treet Platinum please ?

Address PM'ed

Seven Worlds will Collide

Most kind of you to offer.

Could I have the Super Max Platinum and Treet Platinum please ?

Address PM'ed

The first three lots have been posted, CrowdedHouse I'll post your lot tomorrow morning, here's what I have left.

razorblades3.jpg

Surprised the cartridge razors haven't been taken yet, what are they, they look a bit like the ones Merkur sell.

Surprised the cartridge razors haven't been taken yet, what are they, they look a bit like the ones Merkur sell.

They are Gillette Sensors, do you want them?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭piaget

Hi DonJose, that's a very kind offer, I'd like to try the BIC blades and the Tiger if still available.
    I'll PM you my name and address. Cheers :D
    DonJose wrote: »
    The first three lots have been posted, CrowdedHouse I'll post your lot tomorrow morning, here's what I have left.

razorblades3.jpg

piaget wrote: »
    Hi DonJose, that's a very kind offer, I'd like to try the BIC blades and the Tiger if still available.
    I'll PM you my name and address. Cheers :D

Thats fine, send me your addy and I'll post them in time for the next post collection. There are 4 DE razor lots left and 1 Gillette Sensor lot.

razorblades4.jpg

• Advertisement

DonJose wrote: »
    They are Gillette Sensors, do you want them?

Thanks for the offer. I don't want to sound smart or smug, but I wouldn't have any use for them.

Thanks for the offer. I don't want to sound smart or smug, but I wouldn't have any use for them.

Same here, I don't even have a handle for the Gillette Sensor.

Today's purchase:

r99.gif

Well I needed a case and fancied another open comb.

Today's purchase:

r99.gif

Well I needed a case and fancied another open comb.

I was looking at that, I think it fits the Mühle R106, in fact, Mühle, until recently, sold it on their website. The only reason I held back was I have a feeling the lining is wood!

I was looking at that, I think it fits the Mühle R106, in fact, Mühle, until recently, sold it on their website. The only reason I held back was I have a feeling the lining is wood!

I'm pretty sure it'll fit most HD size razors and yes part of it is lined with wood. I too spotted them back when I started buying razors but at the time I didn't want any open comb razors. I just noticed last night Muhle
    had discontinued them so that prompted me to pick one up whilst stock
    still available. Seems like the sold the case with and without the razor.
    What the actual razor is seems questionable but it was only €10 extra for
    the razor compared to the case on it's own.

I also picked up some Proraso aftershave and a few other odds and ends from a new to me supplier:
    http://www.1barber.be/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Yes, the lining is wood and I have found that the box rusts after some time. I stopped using it and started using a leather pouch as it is much more convenient for a toiletries bag (except that the button came off the leather pouch I bought from Connaught Shaving :().

Tried a Gillette 7 O'Clock this evening, rather nice. A butter cutter of a blade, doesn't get in your way.. subtle.

Proraso, Wilkinson Best Badger, Mühle R106, 7 O'Clock, 2xPass, 1xJawline.

Anyone partial to them?

I look forward to trying the Astra when DonJose's blades arrive.

Tried a Gillette 7 O'Clock this evening, rather nice. A butter cutter of a blade, doesn't get in your way.. subtle.

Proraso, Wilkinson Best Badger, Mühle R106, 7 O'Clock, 2xPass, 1xJawline.

Anyone partial to them?

I look forward to trying the Astra when DonJose's blades arrive.

Which of the 7 o.clocks A? There are about a half dozen different types and Gillette use at least two different plants. I haven't tried the blacks or blue but the Russian yellows are in my constant rotation.

Hmm.. an uneducated guess, one of these fellows:

k3dp.jpg

The blade was provided loose, part of a shaving.ie assortment. The blade wrapper was partly green. The unusual thing I noticed, the blade was double wrapped, a branded, full colour outer wrap.. and a regular, plain, see through inner wrap. Odd.

My iron curtain prejudices showing through, it amuses me, judging by various forums, to learn that the Russians are known for making good Gillette blades.

• Advertisement

DonJose, the blades arrived, many thanks.

donjoseblades.jpg

Advertisement