Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Amalgam wrote: »
    DonJose, the blades arrived, many thanks.

You're welcome, if you want any more let me know as there are plenty left.

razorblades4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Hmm.. an uneducated guess, one of these fellows:

The blade was provided loose, part of a shaving.ie assortment. The blade wrapper was partly green. The unusual thing I noticed, the blade was double wrapped, a branded, full colour outer wrap.. and a regular, plain, see through inner wrap. Odd.

My iron curtain prejudices showing through, it amuses me, judging by various forums, to learn that the Russians are known for making good Gillette blades.

Just robbed the following from B&B to save me retyping:
    - Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge, yellow packaging, made in Russia

- Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless, green packaging, made in Russia

- Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp Stainless, green packaging, made in India

- Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum, black packaging made in India

The "7am Platinum" blades are not made by Gillette.

There is also a blue/navy pack from somewhere in E. Europe but have only seen very recently on ebay.

It's my understanding Gillette have consolidated their DE blade production to three plants worldwide- Russia, India and another in S. America (Brazil?).

Apart from the blobs of glue on the blades, the Russian made blades I find great (Super Iridium, 7 o'clocks, Astras). Pity some of the Astras smell like they were dipped in used car oil when you first use.

The black 7 0'clocks are the premium blade in India and most people seem to get twice as many shaves from one blade.

Avoid the 7am blades, they are muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Pity some of the Astras smell like they were dipped in used car oil when you first use.

They are - machine oil IIRC.

MT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

- Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum, black packaging made in India

Those are DonJose's blades, received this morning.

The Green Gillettes are as low as $19.99 for 100 in 5 Pack retail pull displays. Not too shabby.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

DonJose wrote: »
    CrowdedHouse I'll post your lot tomorrow morning, here's what I have left.

DonJose - received mine this morning - Thanks Again

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

I bought 2 TOBS shaving creams from shaving.ie this week, not because I was running low but because I fancied a change. What a difference compared to the 2+ year old ones I had been using - amazing rich lubricating lather. Bottom line, it's worth paying attention to the 12M, or 6M expiry dates on shaving creams.

What fragrances did you go for?

I feel the next purchase will be Lime and\or Rose.

What fragrances did you go for?

I feel the next purchase will be Lime and\or Rose.

I have a Salter Citrus and a Trumpers Rose, so I bought an Avocado (one of the best IMO) and an Eaton College Collection (nice for autumn).

MT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I've tried most of the TOBS (apart from Lavender or Rose) and avocado gets my number 1 vote.

DonJose - received mine this morning - Thanks Again

You are welcome, if you want anymore please let me know, heres what left.

razorblades5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

My blades arrived yesterday morning also. Many thanks, DonJose.

Tzetze wrote: »
    My blades arrived yesterday morning also. Many thanks, DonJose.

You're welcome, I still have a few packs left if you need anymore, see the image above of whats left.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭piaget

Hi DonJose,

My blades arrived yesterday, thanks again very much

piaget wrote: »
    Hi DonJose,

My blades arrived yesterday, thanks again very much

You're very welcome, again I still have a few packs left if you need anymore.

I've got 2 lots left if anybody is interested. 1 lot of DE blades, US Personna, Treet and 7am. The other lot is 10 Gillette Sensor blades.

razorblades6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭piaget

Big Thanks to DonJose for sharing out his blades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Got my blades today DonJose. cheers mate, much appreciated

Got my blades today DonJose. cheers mate, much appreciated

You're welcome, got one lot of DE blades left if you are interested, US Personna, Treet and 7am.

You're welcome, got one lot of DE blades left if you are interested, US Personna, Treet and 7am.

Yea fire them my way. Still trying to find my perfect blade.

Cheers
    :D

Yea fire them my way. Still trying to find my perfect blade.

Cheers
    :D

They are on their way, all the DE blades are now gone. I still can't get rid of the bloody Gillette Sensors :D

• Advertisement

They are on their way, all the DE blades are now gone. I still can't get rid of the bloody Gillette Sensors :D

Ya cant get rid of them cos people have read this thread.

Cheers for the blades, your a LEGEND :cool:

Ya cant get rid of them cos people have read this thread.

Cheers for the blades, your a LEGEND :cool:

Once I'm rid of the razor blades then I'll start on the zombies ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Well don't throw them in the bin...I used Sensor before I returned to DE...I'm sure I still have a handle somewhere,haven't seen it for the last 8 0r 9 months...and I've never tried them with a proper lather...wouldn't be right though...:pac:

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Lads,

I'm seriously thinking of going back to the Mach 3. I was hoping that the shaving rash on my neck would be gone by now. I shaved on Wed morning and I shaved again this morning, and my neck was quite bad after the shave this morning. Usually, I would only shave once every 3/4 days and I thought that I might be making progress, but after the shave this morning I know I'm not. I've ordered a bottle of Tend Skin, so hopefully that might help. I'll give the DE razor a few more weeks to see if things improve.

Lads,

I'm seriously thinking of going back to the Mach 3. I was hoping that the shaving rash on my neck would be gone by now. I shaved on Wed morning and I shaved again this morning, and my neck was quite bad after the shave this morning. Usually, I would only shave once every 3/4 days and I thought that I might be making progress, but after the shave this morning I know I'm not. I've ordered a bottle of Tend Skin, so hopefully that might help. I'll give the DE razor a few more weeks to see if things improve.

I had the same prob, and found trying diff shave creams and soaps produced diff results. Post what you use for that shave, and Im sure someone here can suggest a good alternative cream or soap that may help.

Also, are you doing any prep before you shave? I shave after a shower, and just before I shave, I hold a hot face towel over my beard area, and I found this helps so much during the shave.

Also, use plenty of cold water after the shave to rinse your face, not just a cold splash. Spend 30secs or more using cold water.

Also try some aleo vera after you shave.

Watch Mantics videos on shaving, some great tips there.

Lads,

TendSkin is for ingrown hairs and is quite harsh. Is that you you have? Remind us of what your routine and shaving products are and we'll do our best to advise.

If the Mach 3 was better than a DE then perhaps your technique/lather needs adjustment.

MT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

If he's having such trouble perhaps he should seek medical advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭strangeloop

Lads,

I was getting the same problem when I experimented with different creams and soaps. For my skin I find mitchells wool fat gives an excellent shave with no rash.

Johnny Utah, if you go back to the Mach 3's, do you think you'll still use a shaving brush and cream/soap? I can't understand how anyone would willingly use foam or gel and the whole 'face patting thing', after a stint with a brush and cream\soap.

The science of 'shaving foam' is so defective, once you've gone over to a brush for a while.

---

A dab of Wars & Williams in a mug this morning, Green Gillette 7 O'Clock, 5th shave. Blade changed after. R106 and boar. 2x and touch up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Gordon wrote: »
    Sorry, I don't have a beard or hat, can I still post a question?!

I was reading this thread about razor prices and some helpful chappie mentioned good proper safety razors like Merkurs.

180px-Merkur_heavy_duty_safety_razor.jpg

Does anyone here use one of these? I use the 3/4 blade razors and am fed up with paying the exorbitant costs of them and am wondering if I should invest in a proper razor like this. Is it a scratchy shave with one of these things? Do you need to change the blade every day or so? How good is the shave compared to a 3/4 blade Gillette type thing?

ta

i thought this type of shaver was obsolete years ago

Advertisement